Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    Intel just last year made the announcement about concentrating more to minimize power consumption. Maybe the benefits of that effort have not reached us yet?

If you believe in the principles of Moore's law, then you must agree that either smartphone power consumption goes down or transistor count (which often equals processing power) goes up.
    In fact Intel sold of their mobile chip line, and of course the Foleo is ARM based, meaning these nice x86 chips will never come to the line. Its a nice dream, but it will never happen.

Surur
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    In fact Intel sold of their mobile chip line, and of course the Foleo is ARM based, meaning these nice x86 chips will never come to the line. Its a nice dream, but it will never happen.
    I am very aware of that. The reason they sold mobile chips is that they believe to eventually bring the x86-line to devices of all sizes. So the thing you mention is just one more reason to believe that I am right: computing power will increase in small devices.

So far Intel and Microsoft have been the ones that I have believed to bring this software compatibility to devices large and small.

But now it seems Palm will also try that move and some time before Intel and Microsoft.
    I am very aware of that. The reason they sold mobile chips is that they believe to eventually bring the x86-line to devices of all sizes. So the thing you mention is just one more reason to believe that I am right: computing power will increase in small devices.

So far Intel and Microsoft have been the ones that I have believed to bring this software compatibility to devices large and small.

But now it seems Palm will also try that move and some time before Intel and Microsoft.
    But again, the Foleo is ARM based, so will not benefit from Intel's efforts.

Surur
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    But again, the Foleo is ARM based, so will not benefit from Intel's efforts.
    Are you saying that that ARM processor family can not increase in computing power while other processors can?
    Chaps Chaps Chaps

Way off point

Lets all wait and see

Palm might not have made the greatest machine in the world
    But our very strong programming community will surely get crrrracking on ideas to fill the foleo with

Must say the lack of GSM will surely come with next version

My honest opinion is this is a temporary device gone to market for ideas from the community and it will very rapidly develop into something real and tangible

Bear in mind - You all forgetting that Palm is migrating its own POS to linux - this obviously cannot be done in one hit and hence a temporary device

Bump and grind updates will follow ???!!!!???

"Crawl back into my hole before somebody shoots me"
    Are you saying that that ARM processor family can not increase in computing power while other processors can?
    They wont benefit from Intel's efforts, and mobile device makers have shown very little inclination to support faster ARM processors. As mentioned earlier, the fastest ARM processor is 866 MHz, no one is using it, because they prefer battery life over performance.

While Moore's law is obviously very active in the x86 realm, there is no evidence the same process is occurring in the mobile field.

Surur
    Hi
    Just got this from an interview in one article from Hawkins

"Hawkins then returned to a theme that he's mentioned in the earlier hints he'd given about the Foleo. Imagine if you had "a ton of storage, a ton, basically unlimited storage" on your smartphone. Add that to the fact that you're no longer as constrained by all of those "tradeoffs" that usually apply to the smartphone's design. "I have to just give you a tease here. But that's the direction we're thinking." Hawkins would say no more.

The key, I think, is two-fold. One: the Foleo, as it's currently being marketed (perhaps even as it's currently being made) hasn't achieved what Hawkins has planned for it yet. Two: Neither is the smartphone."

This is what I am saying
    This version of Foleo in the in betweener for the real item while they sort out their "linux" version of OS

I also think that this time they are going to rely heavily on the programming community to come up with all the goodies for the machine
    and boy there are plenty of dem geniuses outh there!!!
    I'll buy the Foleo because....

It is the only new Palm device with WIFI !! :>
    I happened to have gotten super high the day it went on sale, and I totally had no friggin' clue as to what SSD could do for the laptop I already own.
    Quote Originally Posted by mw22 View Post
    "Hawkins then returned to a theme that he's mentioned in the earlier hints he'd given about the Foleo. Imagine if you had "a ton of storage, a ton, basically unlimited storage" on your smartphone. Add that to the fact that you're no longer as constrained by all of those "tradeoffs" that usually apply to the smartphone's design. "I have to just give you a tease here. But that's the direction we're thinking." Hawkins would say no more.
    What does unlimited storage have to do with the Foleo? Is 256MB really that unlimited? And would I want a device that pushes "instant-on" capability to store all that information even if it could hold all my data.

The Foleo is not a home file server. That is the real complement for every user's device -- period. That's the way that devices will always stay in sync when there you're only writing to one location. Devices will only need a tiny processor and tiny bit of memory, and they can store everything on the home file server and that server's backup, of course. Home server and smartphone FTW.
    i don't want to be a fooleo.

meets a very small % of users needs in my opinion.

what a waste of r&d.

stupid palm
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Ok. Disclaimer first. I am not a PALM employee nor have I ever worked for PALM. I am a former "dotcommie" who has since become e Real Estate Investor. I AM a self professed Treo addict and email addict. I have had Palm Vx, Treo 270 and Treo 650. I also own a laptop.

Most of my work time is at my desk using the Laptop (17" Screen) via a wireless keyboard and mouse and viewing it on a 21" monitor. It stays at the office 95% of the time when I am in-town as I also use it for WinFax.(I HATE and cannot afford efax etc due to volume of faxes), and I have a TREO 650. When I am not in the office I am accessing PDF's and MS Office docs and spreadsheets and checking email and surfing on my TREO. I don't use the Treo for music/video as I have a Video IPod. I do need to access my company server from my treo but there is not a good solution out there based upon connection speeds so sometime I have to bring along the laptop. I have been thinking about buying another Linux Laptop to keep in my briefcase for the times when I need a full sized keyboard, screen and access to server. Based upon my work habits I these are my thoughts.

Upon first glance I thought the Foleo was a FLOP! I could find no good reason to buy this thing. I read the Hawkins interview and looked at all of the specs and tried to see if I could understand where this idea come from and where PALM was headed. This morning it finally came to me. Granted this might just be me finding a way to use a new gadget but then again maybe not.

As I write this I am out of town and will be accessing my Server and of course checking and returning emails, working on docs and surfing the web. I have my laptop with me so my faxes are being received by my HP Multi function printer/fax and will be there when I get home. I have my trusty 650 with me so that I don't have to boot up the laptop constantly just to check email and review a quick file. So if I had a Folio how would this trip be different?

I would have left my Gateway M680 at home on the desk. This is NOT a lightweight laptop as I bought it as a desktop replacement. I would have brought the Folio instead. Why? Now there is no reason for my to buy a lightweight laptop or any additional laptop now. If I REALLY need a laptop I have one I can lug along. I like a full sized keyboard but I really like a full sized screen when reviewing real estate settlement statements and contracts. The small screen works in a pinch but sucks compared to a full sized screen. The Folio addresses this need for me.

I can now, finally access the internet via WiFi with my Treo/Folio combo. I could not do that before without a Sled or buying a new Windoze Mobile OS TREO (That is not gunna' happen!) With web based file access services like Avvenu and Laplink Everywhere I can still access my Server but now at faster speeds via wifi if available other wise via Treo on GSM network. This means anywhere in the world too. I have access to all of my work files, I can read/edit on Folio and send back via email client. So far this "improves" my mobile work habits. I get a full sized keyboard and monitor with the "instant-on" benefits of my Treo. So far so good. With the MyTreo service from PALM I will bet I have access to the files on my Treo too.

Problems still left to solve for me. Remote access to my WinFax files on my Laptop. Avvenu does not work like gotomypc or Driveway. However since the folio is Linux based I am optimistic that we may see a raft of great programs available on the folio in the future such as:
    Parallels - Windoze Virtual Machine for Linux
    NoMachine - A remote PC access client which works better/faster than RDP

Additional "bonuses" from the Folio.
    - WORKS WITH MORE THAN JUST TREO: Think of the value. If you go to windoze mobile phone , or soon RIM, no need to buy new hardware for full sized keyboard etc.
    - Allows PALM to look at new form factors for TREO line: No need to have to always think about screen and thumbpad
    - No need to upgrade with each new phone
    - With Linux you have a ton of developers who could create apps for this device such as a new PIM.
    - Upgrades to OS can be done very easily to add new applications.

Will I run out an buy one immediately upon availability? I am not sure. The price still worries me ($299 or less would make this a no-brainer) and I want to fully test the browser base server access/file transfer 1st but I am a lot more optimistic about buying the Folio than I was at launch.
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    BigTex...

This is exactly the type of post that I was looking for when I began this thread. No doubt that soon you will be declared either a Palm stooge or just brain dead by a Foleo hater who feels they have been cheated by Palm. And then you will be told to consider any number of potential laptop-type replacements that are for some reason or another really aren't comparable to the Foleo in terms of price/weight/features/usability. And when you respond to point that out you will be again be labeled a Palm shill, or just an *****.

So I hope I have saved everyone the trouble of reading more of the same drivel.

I'm looking forward to the Foleo's release. If it does do what is expected of it and is able to meet the fairly simple requirements of those of us who see its potential, I'll be curious to see what those who hate it so much have to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    What does unlimited storage have to do with the Foleo? Is 256MB really that unlimited?
    Read what Hawkins said. It's not the Foleo that's to be the server. It's some new small cell phone concept, plus what that cell phone is connected to on the network. The Foleo is the thin-client, and thus only needs temporary paging memory when used in this mode with the phone in range.
    I agree with BigTex -- the only thing the Foleo needs for me to be a perfect device is a gotomypc client, since 100% of what I do could be done with mobile access via either GSM or WiFi back to either my home machine/network or my office machine/network, both of which have gotomypc installed... BTW, I'm packing an 8GB, Class 6 SDHC card on my Treo 680 -- not close to being full and I could carry just about everything I'm currently working on plus all of my music and still have plenty of storage. So that part doesn't worry me at all...
    Update: I just checked the gotomypc site ... they already have a linux universal viewer client -- so I'm puttin' in my order when it comes out and leaving the laptop at home!
    I agree with BigTex. This product will be of use to me in my situation too. I will soon be a graduate student and I will live on campus 4 days a week and the other 3 days at home. Our Presario laptop is actually the primary computer in our house even though we have a Desktop. In addition my laptop weighs about 6 ibs and away from an outlet I get about 2 hours at most battery life.

That being said the Foleo seems like it would be a good device for my computing needs while I am on the move. For example, its size and weight are perfect given that I will be carting other stuff like my books etc. The instant on and battery life will make this device useful as a computer that I can use to take notes in class and do work with. In addition the wifi and DUN will also allow me to stay connected as I need.

I am not saying the Foleo is perfect by any means. I have a laundry list of things I would like to see in a future iteration of the Foleo(like a touchscreen and faster processor that supports video). I just don't think its the flop product that people are making it out to be.
    Search for articles where new flash based SSDs are tested. I am now typing on a pocketable device and can not easily search links for you, sorry.
    hmmm. can I interest you in a Foleo?
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ofoleo View Post
    hmmm. can I interest you in a Foleo?
    As it doesn't do windowing, I'm not sure you can look up links whilst editing a document on the Foleo actually.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    It may in future releases
    But with the vibrant linux community being able to write for the "open" OS on the foleo - who knows
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast