Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ecowper View Post
    PhoneDiva, Oalvarez, etc., I have to ask. Do you guys travel 100K miles a year, spend your time in hotels, airports and conference rooms? Do you work where you can find space and make sure all your luggage is carry-on? If you do, I'm inclined to listen to solutions you have for the travel issues. If you don't .......
    i do not travel 100k/year. when i travel i choose to travel with my laptop (in my case a macbook pro). when i don't want to travel with my laptop (lets say an overnighter, maybe even a weekender) i simply take my Pearl as it will get me by in those instances. one thing i do know is that i won't take a Treo.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 06/12/2007 at 05:43 PM.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Argh! Your stupid laptop does not have a 10,000 RPM Hard Drive. It doesn't say that anywhere! That hard drive (at least the one in the review model) is actually 4200 RPM! And what in the world do you mean by Max Ram? 256 MB DDR 333 SDRAM, expandable up to 768 MB? Your laptop is a dinosour, that's your problem. Go pick up a $500 laptop instead of this Foleo junk and try your hand at a modern laptop. You might be surprised.
    I stand partially corrected:

My HDD is a 7200 (not 10,000) but it's not a 4200 either.

--> (Hitachi Travelstar® 7K60 /60gb 7200rpm)

Asus lines are built in two categories: Asus & "Built on Asus". The latter are custom jobs where you pick your hardware configuration. Look it up/get a clue. Sorry you think it's a "dinosaur". I guess 18 months is time for me to throw it out and get something marginally better, eh? Thanks for the advice.

CountBuggula: why do you care so much what I spend my money on? Trying to save me from myself kinda thing?

Tell you what: find a more modern 3lb, 12 inch (or less) laptop with better features then my current setup for $500. Here's a start.

Then once you do that you can actually respond to my criticisms of subcompacts (heat, poor battery life, WinXP, price, etc.)

And then maybe...I'll consider another laptop that meets your requirements (conveniently not mine--which is the best part here, you ignoring my needs).

Until then, my options are this:

- Replace my HDD with a CF Hard Drive Adapter & Flash Memory
    - Foleo
    - Asus Eee PC 701, even though I prefer a 10" screen
    Last edited by Malatesta; 06/12/2007 at 08:24 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I'm very sorry that I read this whole "popular Foleo thread". And I'm sorry I didn't get here sooner to stop all the madness.

All arrows are pointing to ASUS people. I purchased a Z35f from www.portableone.com (rebranded as SX, with 13" transflective TrioView screen, 7200RPM HD, arctic silver paste with non-soldered core 2 duo cpu, cardreader, dl dvd burner, 4hr battery life @ 4.3 lbs, and I'm loving it!

Sure you don't have to spend that much to get all that...but you can't deny that the price isn't fair. Check out these real machines from PortableOne that real business people would rather use than a Fooleo: http://laptopsinc.com/Merchant2/merc...gory_Code=P1SX

I got the first one on that page...but would actually recommend not getting the faster C2D processor. I'd get the slowest one possible..because even with 7200rpm, the hard drive is still the real bottleneck. That's why I'm screamin' about SSD folks, no latency...the information's always just a millisecond away for that core 2 duo. SSD is needed to really take advantage of C2D in most situations.

Anyway, ASUS machines are also VERY Linux-friendly. I installed Ubuntu and only had to do a couple very minor adjustments to get EVERYTHING working properly. Takes like 4 seconds to resume from suspend to ram. So the Foleo and Apple products can save me like 3 seconds 50 times a year. So sue me for wasting my precious time and money on a machine that was worth its price.

I also loved that other 10" ASUS machine that was $600.

Palm is just killing themselves these days, aren't they? Focus on the phone!!!! There are much larger companies out there already who can make real products. When can I buy my Linux phone, dammit?!?
    Last edited by grndslm; 06/12/2007 at 08:48 PM.
    I orderd the ASUS Z35F for the fathers day gift this afternoon..seems like a sweet ride f,sure.
    I may skip the SZ series for my needs and buy an asus for myself next year hmm I need to do more reserch on that one though.Im hooked on VAIO SZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I'm very sorry that I read this whole "popular Foleo thread". And I'm sorry I didn't get here sooner to stop all the madness.
    I love how people come in here assuming none of us know that there are laptops out there with a lot of features and low prices.

We know how to use Pricegrabber too. This is a tech site. People here follow technology and probably own a lot of it.

The handful of us who are open to the Foleo aren't pleased with laptops or don't need all they can do, hence our interest (not necessarily universal appraisal).

But thanks for stopping all the madness and saving us, lol.

Malatesta I think it,s because alot of palm users/supporters are running out of support for palms actions and dreams of the future.Im WM as you know and seeing the P users deal with the sadness of there MR update on top of the fooleo taking up so much of palms time=What they think is the future is very disappointing to all.Many are upset like myself and just about lost faith in a company that we all supported.Yes im sure the fooleo will have some buyers but you are a smart guy and you know that this device is really unneeded I'm sure.The company needs to focus more on the current consumers of there ppc/pda and not try to build want to be laptops.

The sticky POLL pretty much spells that out
    Last edited by slingbox; 06/12/2007 at 09:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Malatesta I think it,s because alot of palm users/supporters are running out of support for palms actions and dreams of the future.Im WM as you know and seeing the P users deal with the sadness of there MR update on top of the fooleo taking up so much of palms time=What they think is the future is very disappointing to all.Many are upset like myself and just about lost faith in a company that we all supported.Yes im sure the fooleo will have some buyers but you are a smart guy and you know that this device is really unneeded I'm sure.The company needs to focus more on the current consumers of the ppc/pda and not try to build want to be laptops.
    Indeed I'm very aware of the disappointment in Palm and much of it is certainly very warranted.

However, the Foleo is a very early device and I'm at least interested in seeing where they go with it. Maybe it won't amount to anything, maybe it change before it comes out. I don't know.

As far as it being unneeded, I'm not too sure. Certainly Asus seems to have had the exact same idea--just better executed--as Palm and other companies are all working on something very similar.

Like I said, I'm just willing to let this play out for a bit and see what happens. It could be a great device with some changes.

That's were the hostility comes from I feel...You said the magic word.(Lets see how it plays out ).Many Treo/Palm users are done seeing them play.There is lack of focus in the company and there all played out.They cant support there current ppc/pda line up.The fooleo will live up to it's name seen by palms past actions and commitment.This new kick **** want to be notebook doesn't have a chance in 2007 and beyond.The fooleo fits into 1992-98.
    If Palm did find enough interest from this device the current notebook manufacturer would drive the final stake in the palm with lowering prices even more.Palms future is grim.They have no clue
    all Palm had to do was build a Treo that was "today." they thought that "slim" meant a shaved off antenna, curved in sides, and an ounce or two (by giving you a battery/os that didn't work together) of weight savings.

they gave you a 700w that came without enough memory to allow it to work to expectations or needs.

all the while not truly doing anything revolutionary over the years with the exception of offering either the Palm OS or WM on the Treo.

sure, they work for many people, because many people can no longer afford to continue to buy something else since they've sunk so many of their own dollars into Palm's less than revolutionary devices. and now they give us the "Foleo." i'm not saying there won't be a buyer but it truly is a weak attempt at what some other company figured out to do better (asus if not others).

some things never change
    Last edited by oalvarez; 06/13/2007 at 07:01 AM.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Indeed I'm very aware of the disappointment in Palm and much of it is certainly very warranted.

However, the Foleo is a very early device and I'm at least interested in seeing where they go with it. Maybe it won't amount to anything, maybe it change before it comes out. I don't know.

As far as it being unneeded, I'm not too sure. Certainly Asus seems to have had the exact same idea--just better executed--as Palm and other companies are all working on something very similar.

Like I said, I'm just willing to let this play out for a bit and see what happens. It could be a great device with some changes.
    I'd wait for the 2nd gen. Foleo, if there is one. Palm is known for too many bugs and shortcomings!! $600(or $500 with their rebate) is too much to pay to go through bugs. I don't have a 700p but looking at what happened there(all the unhappy customers) and also with the 700w first edition, I'm wary.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'd wait for the 2nd gen. Foleo, if there is one. Palm is known for too many bugs and shortcomings!! $600(or $500 with their rebate) is too much to pay to go through bugs. I don't have a 700p but looking at what happened there(all the unhappy customers) and also with the 700w first edition, I'm wary.
    That's the whole problem here. Even the people that want this thing or think it's a decent idea agree that it's too expensive for what you get in the first version, and they'd like to wait until the price comes down and additional features are added with a second version.

So where's the second version of the LifeDrive?
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Palm is in big trouble...The EEE has set the playing field.Palm has already lost
    That's were the hostility comes from I feel...You said the magic word.(Lets see how it plays out ).Many Treo/Palm users are done seeing them play.There is lack of focus in the company and there all played out.They cant support there current ppc/pda line up.The fooleo will live up to it's name seen by palms past actions and commitment.This new kick **** want to be notebook doesn't have a chance in 2007 and beyond.The fooleo fits into 1992-98.
    If Palm did find enough interest from this device the current notebook manufacturer would drive the final stake in the palm with lowering prices even more.Palms future is grim.They have no clue
    If "everyone" is going to sit back and see how it will play out, who will actually buy the 1st version? I sure hope Palm has something else coming...
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    So where's the second version of the LifeDrive?
    Too bad that didn't work out. I think it was actually a good device. If it had been a phone, like the Nokia N91 which I think is 4 and 8GB, maybe it'd have had a better chance. A phone with 4GB and a PDA OS with wifi would sell. At least I think so. In fact I wonder how popular the N91 is since it has all that. But then Palm couldn't seem to get wifi on phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Has there been any idea as to whether or not the Foleo will handle Java script? I use Top Producer Online and it requires a applet to load in order to run the program. I'm discouraged to hear that it does not handle video (or that it might not handle it well)
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ... my Audrey broke and I've been looking for a replacement PDA companion ever since...
    Don't take this as an insult sbono13. Your palms target customer...The uneducated consumer.I don't know what palm puts in your water but you could buy the EEE for 200-300 dollars less that will run circles around the fooleo but hey for each his own.
    I'm not sure how good of a job you or others are doing at not being insulting but I am curious.

What is this "EEE?"
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Don't take this as an insult sbono13. Your palms target customer...The uneducated consumer.I don't know what palm puts in your water but you could buy the EEE for 200-300 dollars less that will run circles around the fooleo but hey for each his own.
    I'm pretty sure he was kidding.
    Yes I was kidding and pulled post...It was not needed.
    Sorry sbono

Phil C