Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617 LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 334
  1. #261  
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    That may be the case in the US, where you have a single regulator of such issues, but I think it may be more restrictive elsewhere in the world. I've certainly had a big argument over the use of my Treo (with the radio off) on a recent flight.

    Do we know that the WiFi on the Foleo can be turned off anyway? The battery life claim was with it on IIRC.
    True, the Treo thing is one of those grey areas which could lead to situations like yours--not that uncommon in fact.

    Re: Wifi No one knows as far as I can tell, that it can be turned off.

    But I would assume you could. Interestingly they don't seem to have a dedicated button for it, unless it was glossed over.

    Either way, you can run Wifi on a plane. No restrictions on that. Lots of airlines were going to put it on but it was too cost prohibitive, some still have it though.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  2. #262  
    Following along with Malatesta's point, and disagreeing with slingbox. Palm smartphones are bought by people because they work better than the alternatives. The form factor is great, the ergonomics are great. I've tried the Moto Q, Blackberries, HP's, etc. None of them are as easy to use or intuitive. Windows Mobile didn't become truly workable until Palm put it on the Treo. We pay a premium for Treo's because they are better.

    And, for the capabilities, I will be happy to pay a premium for the Foleo because it will do what I need, and based on track record it will do it well.

    All the complaints I read about how bad Treo's are, that is not my experience. Would I like to see a real new version of PalmOS? Yes, I would. But I would still rather use it than Windows.

    If you don't like Palm products, don't buy them. I plan to continue buying them because they do what I need and make me more productive.
  3. #263  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    See, I find that a strawman argument.

    No one ever said: buy a PPC, leave your laptop at home.

    In fact any professional or academic who travels around will quickly tell you that its not possible (I always need both: I need access to all my pdfs and need to create PP slides, while pulling journal articles via VPN). ).
    i'm sorry but hordes of TreoCentral members have said quite the opposite. the argument always was "i can do just about everything i need on my Treo while away from the office allowing me not to have to carry my laptop wherever i go..." i agree with you, PPC's are not laptop replacements but for some they seem to be no matter to what length you argue the subject. i agree with you but not many have agreed with me on this subject in the years past.

    regards
    Last edited by oalvarez; 06/12/2007 at 03:27 PM.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  4. #264  
    I know if I'm taking a trip for a couple days I take my ppc so I don't have to lug it around a notebook-Second device.If I go out of town for more then a couple days I need my Sony SZ 330B for everything.
    I really thought the PPC was for the user on the go making life simple with one device.If palm thinks There going to make money strapping two device on there customer hmm that's palm thinking and they seem to do that well by there track record lol
    But hey the treo is about 500-600 bucs and the fool-e-o is what...they say 500 bucs
    It seems alot of consumer will want to spend 1000-1200 on this trashcan of a device.
  5. #265  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i'm sorry but hoardes of TreoCentral members have said quite the opposite. the argument always was "i can do just about everything i need on my Treo while away from the office allowing me not to have to carry my laptop wherever i go..." i agree with you, PPC's are not laptop replacements but for some they seem to be no matter to what length you argue the subject. i agree with you but not many have agreed with me on this subject in the years past.

    regards
    We are actually in agreement: ppcs are not laptop replacements

    But...a lot of our past conversations on this topic centered around what the iPhone can and cannot do.

    Often the position was put forward that "you don't need function X on the iPhone b/c it's overkill and it's not like you can do that efficiently on a Treo/ppc anyways"

    Which is very true for some things e.g. creating Excel documents.

    WM devices are centered on specific functions: email, SMS, phone, contacts, appointments, doc viewing

    The difference is this: they can be augmented to do anything basically you want to: IRC, NNTP, VPN, Bittorrent (!), FTP, Stream Radio, Stream TV, MP3 player, identify songs, shopping lists, etc.

    The debate is whether one needs to do those things and for a lot of us it's: no.

    People like WM though b/c if they want to they can do those things. It's still not a laptop replacement, but for many in IT where they are not handling large documents or writing, it really is a life-saver.

    So that's the difference here: WM/ppc is not a laptop replacement but you can really stretch the hell out of it if you want to try--it's flexibility to user demand is its strength. But I don't think MS had the Slingbox in mind when they designed it
    Last edited by Malatesta; 06/12/2007 at 11:05 AM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6. #266  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i'm sorry but hoardes of TreoCentral members have said quite the opposite. the argument always was "i can do just about everything i need on my Treo while away from the office allowing me not to have to carry my laptop wherever i go..." i agree with you, PPC's are not laptop replacements but for some they seem to be no matter to what length you argue the subject. i agree with you but not many have agreed with me on this subject in the years past.
    I'm not one of those hordes. Whether it is a Treo, a Q, a Blackberry, whatever, it cannot replace my laptop and leave me not needing to take it along with me when I travel. What it does do is allow me read email, view (some) docs, make phone calls easily while I'm traveling.

    It also has freed me from needing to take a laptop when I go for a weekend trip. Which my family is very happy with.

    And damn, that's pretty good for a device the size of a phone.
  7. #267  
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    I know if I'm taking a trip for a couple days I take my ppc so I don't have to lug it around a notebook-Second device.If I go out of town for more then a couple days I need my Sony SZ 330B for everything.
    I really thought the PPC was for the user on the go making life simple with one device.If palm thinks There going to make money strapping two device on there customer hmm that's palm thinking and they seem to do that well by there track record lol
    Right and that's awesome b/c I do that often too.

    But if I need to write a paper or do some heavy work, the Treo is not an option. Sometimes you need a computer.

    In other words, if you were traveling and were going to take a laptop anyways, the Foleo may be a smaller, cheaper, lighter, quicker device.

    If you often travel and do not bring a laptop with you, the Foleo is not even an option. You're not in the market demographic.

    For myself, I'm less impressed with MS XP on a laptop than I would like. Palm like Apple has a very clear way of K.I.S.S and when given the freedom, they tend to design very elegant and efficient OSs.

    I'm excited at the prospect of a "Palm Laptop" basically. But we need to see how it actually performs, 3rd party, etc.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8. #268  
    If you have no life and travel I can see a user that would carry such a device.
    I like my notebook on longer then 2 day trips to write papers,sling player,instant messenger to make free telephone calls,cam with love ones.All of my music,slide shows,build apps,media player.
    If your gone for more then a couple days you want a device that will make life easy.Thats what notebooks are for and they seem to build them smaller now costing much less.500 bucs for the fool-e-o or 800 bucs for a notebook for all the features mentioned above hmmm
  9. #269  
    here's a nice one.you can buy it as low 739.00
    http://store.agearnotebooks.com/asusz35f.html


    500 bucs for the fool-e-o hehehe is foolish
  10. #270  
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    If you have no life and travel I can see a user that would carry such a device.
    I like my notebook on longer then 2 day trips to write papers,sling player,instant messenger to make free telephone calls,cam with love ones.All of my music,slide shows,build apps,media player.
    If your gone for more then a couple days you want a device that will make life easy.Thats what notebooks are for and they seem to build them smaller now costing much less.500 bucs for the fool-e-o or 800 bucs for a notebook for all the features mentioned above hmmm
    The "no life" thing is a bit of a put down, lol.

    Some of us commute 1hour on the train each way. Busting out a laptop and pairing it up to my phone is PITA. Plus carrying abound the brick-charger b/c my laptop gets 2.5hrs max (don't turn on wifi!).

    The argument about price is the same-old: Laptops that are $800 are 14" and up, weigh a lot are still pretty lacking. Not bad, but not what many prefer for travel.

    Subcompacts fetch $1200+. The Sony's (very nice machines) run $2k.

    That's not much of an argument against the Foleo, the new Asus mini thing is.

    My main complaints for laptops as mentioned earlier:

    - price for subcompacts are high
    - they generate a lot of heat
    - the can be loud (exhaust fans, at least in my case)
    - poor battery life (2.5 hours max is weak)
    - The OS is overkill and not very good. Too resource intensive

    I also need a laptop cooler and a mouse for long sessions.

    The whole thing with the Foleo is simplicity of operation:

    - instant on
    - instant pairing with device for internet
    - email, internet browser, full document editing, pictures
    - 3rd party support for software = fill in the blank
    - no or very low heat
    - long battery life
    - mouse doesn't even seem necessary due to hot keys

    Plus I don't have to be bogged down by WinXP and it's RAM hungry OS, faced with stupid "Win Updates" all the time forcing me to re-boot, no virus scanners, hopefully easier pairing.

    Sure, I'll loose some functionality that I didn't use anyway but that's the point: I don't use it.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  11. #271  
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    here's a nice one.you can buy it as low 739.00
    http://store.agearnotebooks.com/asusz35f.html


    500 bucs for the fool-e-o hehehe is foolish
    lol, but I already own one of these: Asus M5200n
    12", 3.2 lbs. 10,000 RPM HDD. Max Ram. Wifi.

    So I don't need a new laptop. I need something different!

    It still doesn't address all my complaints with laptops.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  12. #272  
    The laptop in link is a 13.3" and the battery life is steller but hey if there are users that would spend 500 on palm answer hehe ok lol.they must have some money to waste Being my point.As I said there making notbook smaller costing less.I could surf the web and find many more for couple dollors less but I will leave that to the potental buyers of palms future and they can run the numbers.
  13. #273  
    hmm I just found the fathers day present for 800 bucs..I knew this thread had it's perks.

    The ASUS Z35F

    Yonah®: Intel 945GM Express Chipset
    • Yonah®:1.66GHz(T2300)-2.16GHz(T2600) w/2MB L2 Cache-667FSB; Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo (Merom 64-bit) ready
    • 13.3" WXGA (1280x800) Glare Type - "Color-Shine" enhanced screen
    • Intel GMA 950 with up to 128MB shared Video RAM.
    • 512MB DDR2-533 SO-DIMM Memory On-board. (support up to 1.5GB)
    • Build in DVD-RW Super Multi/24xCDRW Drive
    • Built-in Intel/Pro Wireless 3945 802.11(a/b/g) LAN Card
    • Build in 10/100Mbps fast Ethernet Controller.
    • Build in Bluetooth; 3x USB 2.0, 1x IEEE 1394 port; 1x S-Video (TV-Out); 2x Audio jacks: 1x Microphone-in / 1x S/PDIF
    • Intel High Definition Audio: Build in Azalia compliant audio chip, with 3D effect full duplex; built-in speaker and microphone
    • 4-in-1 Card Reader with Express Card Slot.
    9 Cell Battery: 7800MAh, 80WHrs.
    • Part No.: 90NH3G211200000L100 (Black);90NH3G221200000L100 (White)

    Unique Features:

    • High brightness LCD with ASUS Color Shine & Glare TypeLCD!
    • Bluetooth for unwired freedom.
    • Power4 Gear+: all new intelligent battery conservation management.
    • Battery Re-Calibration
    Last edited by slingbox; 06/12/2007 at 12:25 PM.
  14. #274  
    Honestly, I'm kinda wishing I had a Foleo, right now.

    I recently sold two laptops and purchased one that included the functionality of both and then some. Well, that new laptop will be out for repairs for what looks like about a week. I'd considered traveling during that week, but I'd rather not be limited to the Treo - especially since I'll be in a wi-fi area.

    A Foleo wouldn't meet all my possible needs, but it'd walk right up to the big ones, look'em in the eyes, and shake their hands.

    I still wish the Foleo could run the same programs as my Treo, so I could have something more like PDAreach functionality, but a really lightweight, long-lasting, fullscreen device would be nice.

    That ASUS someone recently linked to is interesting, but it weighs twice as much as the Foleo. If and when weight is an issue, that'd be problematic.

    Personally, I ain't likely to venture into the realm of Foleo unless and until the price drops dramatically. I'd rather have a slightly larger, slightly more expensive, slightly heavier, but more functional actual laptop.

    Change those two things, though, and I'd be a real mark for this device: 1) price & 2) "PDAreach-ability."
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  15. #275  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    lol, but I already own one of these: Asus M5200n
    12", 3.2 lbs. 10,000 RPM HDD. Max Ram. Wifi.

    So I don't need a new laptop. I need something different!

    It still doesn't address all my complaints with laptops.
    Argh! Your stupid laptop does not have a 10,000 RPM Hard Drive. It doesn't say that anywhere! That hard drive (at least the one in the review model) is actually 4200 RPM! And what in the world do you mean by Max Ram? 256 MB DDR 333 SDRAM, expandable up to 768 MB? Your laptop is a dinosour, that's your problem. Go pick up a $500 laptop instead of this Foleo junk and try your hand at a modern laptop. You might be surprised.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  16. #276  
    ^^ i gotta agree on one thing: if your laptop runs that hot and runs that noisy (as you state) then yes, you might in fact own an older machine (or one whose fans might need to be replaced).

    and all of this "instant on" nonsense from some of you is rather foolish. most all of today's laptops/op systems function via a hibernate/sleep mode.

    so 5 hours of battery life just to surf the web and read emails, maybe work on a doc or two......if you had 3-5 hours on a plane/train, wouldn't you want the "option" to do a little more on your device?

    256mb memory, 128mb avail to user, via a memory card?

    how does one get their files onto the foleo? how about from their foleo back to their PC or laptop? all wireless or do you have to swap memory cards back and forth.

    in my case, what limits me ever wanting one is the fact that you have to own a Treo to make it work. if you love your Treo, only need email/internet and hate accessing both on your handheld, love new toys, and hate using a laptop, then yes, the foleo might just be for you.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  17. #277  
    Quote Originally Posted by ecowper View Post
    Following along with Malatesta's point, and disagreeing with slingbox. Palm smartphones are bought by people because they work better than the alternatives. The form factor is great, the ergonomics are great. I've tried the Moto Q, Blackberries, HP's, etc. None of them are as easy to use or intuitive. Windows Mobile didn't become truly workable until Palm put it on the Treo. We pay a premium for Treo's because they are better.

    And, for the capabilities, I will be happy to pay a premium for the Foleo because it will do what I need, and based on track record it will do it well.

    All the complaints I read about how bad Treo's are, that is not my experience. Would I like to see a real new version of PalmOS? Yes, I would. But I would still rather use it than Windows.

    If you don't like Palm products, don't buy them. I plan to continue buying them because they do what I need and make me more productive.
    Well I agree with your point The WM treo is thinner then most,Has wifi.Excelent BT,Built in GPS...like the ipaq 6900 from over a year ago.Palm is in the lead.
    I love my WM treo but hey man ..if palm stinks they stink.There so behind the rest it,s sick.
    As far as you investing into the fool-e-o hmm that pretty much sums up your post hehe
  18. #278  
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Well I agree with your point The WM treo is thinner then most,
    Sling, "slimmer than most" what? i only say because i personally do not find the Treo "slim" by any means.

    regards
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  19. #279  
    I was joking around comparing the 750 to the ipaq 6900 from over a year ago.The 6900 still beats up the features of the current treo line.It,s pretty sad really
  20. #280  
    ah yes, i remember that device....and you're right, it is sad, or perhaps more like a tragic comedy.

    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve

Posting Permissions