Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 LastLast
    My opinion..They really are that dumb.The P owners are hanging for a year then palm drops the MR on the users that caused more problems then fixes.They did have the time to put this laptop want to be together like it's going to be the future.Palm is lost....sure... they will sell a few fool-e-o-s and the proud owners will be
    i still don't get the Treo 680! i think i owned it for less than a week...what a bomb of a device.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    as an analyst might ask, what is it about the Foleo that makes your load a bit lighter and your life a bit simpler, at some times on some days? don't you need your Treo and your Foleo, together?

we know that laptops can do a whole lot more (and i mean a lot). so what is so much easier and more simple about the Foleo? what is it that the Foleo can do better than a laptop? what is it that would make people's lives more simple? the vast majority (around here, other places) seem to think that there really isn't a market for this device. so why did Palm design it? didn't they do their market research? or did they just do it that poorly?

are they really that dumb?
    How many of those people in this "vast majority" actually can identify the target market for the Foleo? How many of them are in the target market? How many of them have conducted as much market research as Palm has?
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    How many of those people in this "vast majority" actually can identify the target market for the Foleo? How many of them are in the target market? How many of them have conducted as much market research as Palm has?
    To use Palm and market research in the same sentence is pretty funny sam lol.
    I love the wx but come on sam.You can pic up the Q for 200 bucs and get many more features then the treo that cost you 500-600 bucs.Palm is lost my friend..
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    To use Palm and market research in the same sentence is pretty funny sam lol.
    I love the wx but come on sam.You can pic up the Q for 200 bucs and get many more features then the treo that cost you 500-600 bucs.Palm is lost my friend..
    You'd have a stronger argument if you picked a product that wasn't profitable.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    as an analyst might ask, what is it about the Foleo that makes your load a bit lighter and your life a bit simpler, at some times on some days? don't you need your Treo and your Foleo, together?

we know that laptops can do a whole lot more (and i mean a lot). so what is so much easier and more simple about the Foleo? what is it that the Foleo can do better than a laptop? what is it that would make people's lives more simple? the vast majority (around here, other places) seem to think that there really isn't a market for this device. so why did Palm design it? didn't they do their market research? or did they just do it that poorly?

are they really that dumb?
    Compared to any laptop at that price, it can be lighter, it can be turned on and be instantly available, it can sit on my lap without getting too hot, it can fit better on an airplane tray table...you just seem to want to ignore these things because they don't mean much to you. But they are meaningful to many others, most of whom don't bother to even visit this forum. I work with lots of other managers and executives who struggle with technology and would love to trade their laptops for something that just does what the Foleo does, because that is all their job requires. The Foleo is a simple tool...and simple is king for many people.

And no, I don't think that I always need the Treo and Foleo together. I'm sure I can look at word docs or spreadsheets that are stored on the SD card without my Treo...ignoring the fact that I would always have my Treo with me anyway.

Until we see the sales numbers after a year on the market, then we will know how well, or not, Palm did with its market research. Until then, all of you "nattering nabobs of negativism" sound pretty dumb yourselves for all of the passion you are putting into your arguments. Those of us who have an open mind about the Foleo seem to be able to say what we want to say without resorting to childish rants, name calling, and constantly repeating the same tired arguments.

Why is it so difficult to believe that there are some for whom the Foleo might be the ideal companion for their phone and a nice complement to their laptops and desktops? And why do so many of you need to be so smug and self-righteous about it?

We appreciate you pointing out that there might be some alternatives to the Foleo and discussing the pros and cons of them. But it is just rude to call those with whom you disagree shills, idiots, suckers, dumb, and some of the other unflattering things that I have read here.

I just don't understand why the Foleo-haters feel it is necessary to make those types of comments, especially in a thread that was created expressly for folks to express why they might buy one. There are plenty of other anti-Foleo threads for you to clutter up with your ramblings. Your statements aren't contributing anything worthwhile here. If you can't disagree without being disagreeable or sarcastic, then take your comments elsewhere. Why do you feel compelled to save us from ourselves?
    You can pic up the Q for 200 bucs and get many more features then the treo that cost you 500-600 bucs.Palm is lost my friend..
    I own both and enjoy both but I would never say that the Q has many more features. In fact it's less (Q can't do Wifi at all it's too underpowered.)

I'd argue that Palm's tweaks to the w/wx are what makes it stand out from the WM herd. Moto literally just threw on WM5 Smartphone Edition with a handful of modifications (which I'm struggling to remember now; killer BT though) just like HTC used to do (their new plugin is pretty stellar).

Quote Originally Posted by fredc1
    Why do you feel compelled to save us from ourselves?
    I'm in total agreement. I don't feel compelled to convince people that the Foleo is an amazing device that everyone needs, but for some of us...it's not a bad option.

I'm confused too as why so much energy to challenge our openness to the idea.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by fredc1 View Post
    I wouldn't say a Karmann Ghia or Honda Del Sol had any sort of serious power under their hoods. But they did have the style and coolness factor, which are purely, and exclusively, matters of personal taste. And I don't see many negative posts simply bashing the Foleo on either of those two points anyway.

Nothing I have seen since I began this thread has convinced me to abandon my plan to get my hands on a Foleo to see if it does what it is made to do. I know it can't play DVDs, stream video, burn CDs, allow me run my MS Access databases, edit pics, make my dinner, walk the dog, or tuck me into bed at night. But it just might do enough to make my load a bit lighter and my life a bit simpler at some times on some days...which can be enough for me to justify the cost.
    Actually, I thought you were talking about Porsches, Mercedes 2 doors and BMW 2 doors. Those are very high in price and aren't completely practical but make up for it with power, prestige and style.

The Foleo just can't justify $600 for what it offers, I'm sorry. It BARELY makes it into the true mobile companion category, you cannot even load your phone's syncing software on it! Suppose you don't always want to use wifi or BT, is there a USB port so you can plug in your phone? Can you quick charge your phone through this? It also doesn't have any real power. It shouldn't be any higher than $400 and even $400 is pushing it a bit!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Compared to any laptop at that price, it can be lighter, it can be turned on and be instantly available, it can sit on my lap without getting too hot, it can fit better on an airplane tray table...you just seem to want to ignore these things because they don't mean much to you. But they are meaningful to many others, most of whom don't bother to even visit this forum. I work with lots of other managers and executives who struggle with technology and would love to trade their laptops for something that just does what the Foleo does, because that is all their job requires. The Foleo is a simple tool...and simple is king for many people.

And no, I don't think that I always need the Treo and Foleo together. I'm sure I can look at word docs or spreadsheets that are stored on the SD card without my Treo...ignoring the fact that I would always have my Treo with me anyway.

Until we see the sales numbers after a year on the market, then we will know how well, or not, Palm did with its market research. Until then, all of you "nattering nabobs of negativism" sound pretty dumb yourselves for all of the passion you are putting into your arguments. Those of us who have an open mind about the Foleo seem to be able to say what we want to say without resorting to childish rants, name calling, and constantly repeating the same tired arguments.

Why is it so difficult to believe that there are some for whom the Foleo might be the ideal companion for their phone and a nice complement to their laptops and desktops? And why do so many of you need to be so smug and self-righteous about it?

We appreciate you pointing out that there might be some alternatives to the Foleo and discussing the pros and cons of them. But it is just rude to call those with whom you disagree shills, idiots, suckers, dumb, and some of the other unflattering things that I have read here.

I just don't understand why the Foleo-haters feel it is necessary to make those types of comments, especially in a thread that was created expressly for folks to express why they might buy one. There are plenty of other anti-Foleo threads for you to clutter up with your ramblings. Your statements aren't contributing anything worthwhile here. If you can't disagree without being disagreeable or sarcastic, then take your comments elsewhere. Why do you feel compelled to save us from ourselves?

thanks for offering your thoughts on the questions at hand, i think the first paragraph just about covered it. the last three?????
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Thats needs to be 400 before a rebate!!!
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    [of the Foleo]...it can fit better on an airplane tray table...
    On a tangent, what will the airlines' attitude be to the Foleo? After all, you may want to use nasty old plane crashing wifi to get some data off your phone...Assuming they spot it's not a laptop will they let you use it?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Actually, I thought you were talking about Porsches, Mercedes 2 doors and BMW 2 doors. Those are very high in price and aren't completely practical but make up for it with power, prestige and style.

The Foleo just can't justify $600 for what it offers, I'm sorry.
    Agreed. The only appropriate car analogy I could think of was $20,000 Yugo. Sure it can transport you from one place to another, but it has little style and no where near the capability it should have for half that price.

...we all know where the Yugo went!
    This was probably posted elsewhere but here's a stacked baby for the same price as the Foleo!! Which would YOU buy for $600?

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6873084010.html
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Also, low end new laptops are $600. Why pay $600 for less options?
    In order to get a reasonable sub notebook, you have to spend more like $1500 (for a Dell, HP or Gateway with a 12 inch screen). To get a really top end one, you have to jump up to $2000, or more (Sony, primarily). The low end laptops you are talking about have 15 inch screens and weigh 6 pounds, or more. What good does that do me? I don't sit at a desk 95% of the time.

As far as the ASUS, it has potential, but we haven't seen it yet. The Via will not have a reasonable sized keyboard and screen.

For all the claims that a laptop will do "so much more", I have yet to have someone tell me what a $2000 sub notebook will do "more" that I actually need and no one has showed me, with the possible exception of the ASUS, anything at $600 or less that is worth considering. I don't need to run Photoshop, Visio, development tools, etc on the road. I do need to read and edit docs and spreadsheets, run presentations, read email, access my contacts. The Treo is not sufficient for more than reading email and making phone calls, so I carry a fairly high end HP notebook. I would not choose to replace that with a bigger, heavier laptop just because the cost is $600. If I choose to travel with just a Foleo and Treo it will be because I can reduce my weight and space, meet my functional needs and only spend $500. I wrote a long post trying to explain why I am the target market. Everyone reading it chose to say I was crazy, I should either buy a notebook that costs $1500 more, or I should buy a cheap, heavy notebook.

In my opinion, those options are not meeting the Road Warrior needs in a meaningful way. Except for, possibly, Kupe I haven't heard other road warrior types tell me I'm wrong about this. PhoneDiva, Oalvarez, etc., I have to ask. Do you guys travel 100K miles a year, spend your time in hotels, airports and conference rooms? Do you work where you can find space and make sure all your luggage is carry-on? If you do, I'm inclined to listen to solutions you have for the travel issues. If you don't .......
    Last edited by ecowper; 06/12/2007 at 10:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    On a tangent, what will the airlines' attitude be to the Foleo? After all, you may want to use nasty old plane crashing wifi to get some data off your phone...Assuming they spot it's not a laptop will they let you use it?
    How does that matter?

You can use any electronic device expect cell phones on a flight (even then I use my Treo, just keep the radio off). The only restrictions are during take off and landing. The "instant on" feature will not matter just like it doesn't matter now for laptops. Also, there is no real evidence that electronic devices interfere with on-board electronics anyways.

The whole pricing thing is also a bit irrelevant.

We are a group who regularly plunks down $400, $500 or $600 for new phones. We have members here without a bat of an eye are going to plunk down $640 (tax) for the new iPhone. People are telling us to just buy $2k notebooks.

Fact is, Palm has always charged a premium on their products: Treos are generally the most expensive smartphones on the market (forgetting things like the Athena) and we buy them anyways b/c of the Palm engineering. I think it's worth it, others do not.

So if any of us feel compelled to drop the same amount of money on a Foleo when we just did the same for our phone, it's really not a major point. We can always argue that commodities should be cheaper.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 06/12/2007 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'm confused too as why so much energy to challenge our openness to the idea.
    The point of the ppc is to leave your laptop at home.Palm then wants you to buy a pda ,A fool-e-o and carry both around.It,s plane stupid.If palm invested time in fixing a screwed OS by the name of garent and stoped throwing salt in the wounds of it,s users that would be palms best innovation and investment .Hmm but hey Ive been wrong in the Past as we all are
    The point of the ppc is to leave your laptop at home.
    See, I find that a strawman argument.

No one ever said: buy a PPC, leave your laptop at home.

In fact any professional or academic who travels around will quickly tell you that its not possible (I always need both: I need access to all my pdfs and need to create PP slides, while pulling journal articles via VPN).

PPCs are not laptop replacements they merely triage the situation. You cannot write or edit huge documents on them. You can't do graphic editing and browsing the web can be a chore.

What you can do: get instant email, SMS, phone, view documents sent to you (which I love) and respond back. Keep your appointments and contact handy. Everything else it can do is peripheral and not the focus of the OS (especially WM).

In other words: ppcs have very clear limits on them. You want a large screen and keyboard? You're going to have a "brick". You want a thin, sleek, Moto Q device? You'll get a small screen, light battery life and limited editing capabilities.

The Foleo is not meant as a 24/7 companion for the Treo, no one said so. It's meant for those who travel and need those core functions. It has nothing with Palm "telling me" I need a companion--the void was already there. (I've already outlined my issues with subcompact laptops in another thread).

The fact is: no PPC, smartphone or iPhone will ever be a laptop replacement. Not going to happen (unless you carry the Athena around with even at the movies).

Laptops are also far from perfect (though OLPC project is having a welcomed impact on design and efficiency).

malatest you missing the point of my post.Fix the freaken garnet OS.The
    fool-E-0 belongs in your backpack then my friend.The public has been crying out for a device like that hehehe.
    malatest you missing the point of my post.Fix the freaken garnet OS.The
    fool-E-0 belongs in your backpack then my friend.The public has been crying out for a device like that hehehe.
    Well, Garnet is beyond repair and is also not a laptop replacement.

In fairness to Palm, they lost control on Garnet to Access. So there was a period where they literrally could not "do" anything substantial with it. They now have it back and I'm sure are attempting to fix what they can, but it's beyond in repair IMO.

The big picture is this though: Palm has their new Palm/Linux OS and is fairly certain their next-big-Treo (non-WM) will run that same OS as the Foleo, which makes a lot of sense and has a lot of potential. Palm is very good at building their own software around their own hardware. But that is basically an IOU, so we'll have to see what happens.

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    How does that matter?

You can use any electronic device expect cell phones on a flight (even then I use my Treo, just keep the radio off). The only restrictions are during take off and landing.
    That may be the case in the US, where you have a single regulator of such issues, but I think it may be more restrictive elsewhere in the world. I've certainly had a big argument over the use of my Treo (with the radio off) on a recent flight.

Do we know that the WiFi on the Foleo can be turned off anyway? The battery life claim was with it on IIRC.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...