Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    I agree. But it doesn't help that your username ends in "PRPRPR&$quot$;.
    PRPRPR $stands$ $for$ $Puerto$ $Rico$, $where$ $I$ $am$ $originally$ $from$.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyPR View Post
    PRPRPR $stands$ $for$ $Puerto$ $Rico$, $where$ $I$ $am$ $originally$ $from$.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    It's nice that some people think that my opinions are so accurate that I must be a Palm employee. Unfortunately, I live in a country where (to my knowledge) there are no Palm employees. To put it as clearly as possible: I am not a Palm employee.

As I have said, I believe that Foleo and future Palm Linux Treos are all able to run the same Palm Linux executables. Suppose I am a Palm employee, would it make sense that I lie about such an issue? I don't think so.

So if someone still thinks I am a Palm employee, (s)he certainly must believe that this central claim of mine is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    I am not a Palm employee.
    Clearly this is true.
    You know guys, there is a bigger market out there than you think. I know you don't see it. Let me try to explain.

Go to the airport. Look at all the guys wearing coat and tie, pulling a carry-on bag and carrying a briefcase. Salesforce and business execs, NOT engineers, developers and consultants. People whose mobile computing consists of VPN to corporate apps, email, word docs, spreadsheets and powerpoint decks. People who spend 2 to 4 weeks on the road, every single month. Who get on 3 to 5 flights a week. Who travel 100K+ miles a year (actual miles, bonus makes it more like 200K).

These folks are not buying the Asus Eee ultra-portable. Their laptop is a Thinkpad, Presario, Precision, etc. It is purchased by their company and costs $1500+. It weighs 3.5 to 4 pounds, and even more with AC adapter, extra battery, etc. With a 12 inch screen, adapter, etc. it takes up a huge amount of room in their briefcase. And they don't need it for anything beyond email, word docs, etc. like I said earlier. I quickly scanned Best Buy for ultra-portable laptops. The name brands (highly unlikely they are buying off brand) run over $1000 and weigh 4 to 6 pounds. The Foleo is half the price, half the size, half the weight.

All of them (us, 'cause I am one of them) also carry Treo's, Blackberries, HP's, etc. for instant, continuous access to email and cell phone services. We aren't geeks, we don't post in these forums and we really don't know how to tether a laptop and a treo. And we don't want to know, that's a waste of our time. I'm pretty unusual that I post in a user forum like this, and this is the first time here. I was just trying to get information on the Foleo and saw what everyone had to say. I figured maybe you would be interested in what an actual "road warrior" thinks.

We love smartphones, we hate laptops. We run out and buy smartphones on our own nickel and don't even blink at the price. We only use them for calls and email and consider the money well spent. We get our laptops from our company and endure them because we need them to work on the road. We only use them for basic office productivity work and consider them money wasted. AND a huge business problem because of the data we must keep on them that could get stolen. We have bought multiple ultra-portables over the years and hated them because they weren't purpose built for the functions we need. They performed as what they were, a horribly underpowered, small laptop. The Foleo looks different to me.

I buy a pair of $350 noise cancelling headphones that serve one purpose only, to make my time on an airplane more comfortable. You think I won't buy this if it really allows me to leave my laptop at home? It will be $500 well spent and I won't even blink at it. I believe this is a fantastic idea. Let my Treo be the computer, with a Foleo along for the business tasks that require a bigger screen and keyboard. Instant on and off, tied to my Treo, switching from WiFi to my Treo based on need, small enough to easily use on an airplane? That's awesome. My time is costly, the more work I can do, the less weight and space I have to use up, the more I can take other things (I have to carry a fair amount of paper when I travel) along with me on the road, the better.

I travel 80 to 100 thousand actual air miles every year, sometimes more. I spend my weekdays in airports, hotels and conference rooms. When I'm not at the home office, I don't usually have a desk, docking station, easy wired connectivity, etc. Often getting WiFi to work is a horrible exercise. A web browser is all I need to connect to corporate applications (SSL VPN, great stuff), VersaMail connects to my Exchange Server, and Docs2Go reads all the documents I care about. So, if I can flip open a Foleo and connect to the VPN, get my mail, edit my budget spreadsheet, view a powerpoint deck, I'm in great shape.

This has the potential to not only free me from my sub-notebook but to also make my Treo the only computing device I need on the road, with a Foleo to make it completely functional. FOR the functions I need. And I only need to gain about 5 hours of productivity during the time period I own a Foleo (12 months?) to break even on the cost. And trust me, guys like me make calculations like that.

Just remember, the three or four folks who have said something similar to what I've said represent a miniscule fraction (a 1/1000 of 1%, less?) of all the people that fall into our category. Most of the voices here are folks who truly have no need for a Foleo. Most of the people who need a Foleo are not voices here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecowper View Post
    You know guys, there is a bigger market out there than you think. I know you don't see it. Let me try to explain.

[...]
    Awesome post.

Thanks for sharing a different perspective.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I travel 80 to 100 thousand actual air miles every year, sometimes more. I spend my weekdays in airports, hotels and conference rooms. When I'm not at the home office, I don't usually have a desk, docking station, easy wired connectivity, etc. Often getting WiFi to work is a horrible exercise.
    Just to make sure I understand - your company sends you out on the road to the tune of 100,000 air miles per year and scores of nights in hotels, but they're not willing to purchase you a lightweight, fully-functional laptop? The only choices you're given are a big clunky laptop with a bunch of heavy peripherals and bad connectivity (that no one here would like to buy either! ) or a svelte, totally awesome big-screen PDA that somehow, in your explanation, doesn't require the same AC adapter, Battery, etc as the laptop? Mind if I ask what chintzy company you work for?
    Most of the voices here are folks who truly have no need for a Foleo.
    Correct - most of the people that fit into the use case you so carefully described have no use for a Foleo when they can get a full-featured computer with all the Foleo's features at equal or less weight for equal or less money. We're the people who have money, but choose to watch every dollar closely and refuse to make purchases, even $500 ones, on poorly thought out technologies that are obsolete before they are released.

Welcome ecoper. You're another 1st-post, June 2007 member who's joined a treo-centric forum to discuss a loosely-related (at best) product. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean Jeff Hawkins isn't trying to flood the boards with Foleo shills!
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    To put it as clearly as possible: I am not a Palm employee.
    Those so paranoid to make such blind accusations generally have economic reasons to be. It's not rocket science.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Just to make sure I understand - your company sends you out on the road to the tune of 100,000 air miles per year and scores of nights in hotels, but they're not willing to purchase you a lightweight, fully-functional laptop?
    I would hardly call a HP nc4400, at 3.9 pounds, a big clunky laptop. Have you ever worked for a large company, let's say $5 billion plus? Do you actually know how such companies purchase laptops? Oh, and yes, I am currently on track to do 80,000 miles this year, was over 100,000 last year.

The only choices you're given are a big clunky laptop with a bunch of heavy peripherals and bad connectivity (that no one here would like to buy either! ) or a svelte, totally awesome big-screen PDA that somehow, in your explanation, doesn't require the same AC adapter, Battery, etc as the laptop?
    A Palm Treo AC adapter is 1/4 the size and weight of AC adapter for my laptop. Do you think that the Foleo will have a big AC adapter? Are you suggesting that 5 hours, with WiFi turned on, is worse than 4 hours, with WiFi turned on, that I get on my current laptop?

Mind if I ask what chintzy company you work for?
    Correct - most of the people that fit into the use case you so carefully described have no use for a Foleo when they can get a full-featured computer with all the Foleo's features at equal or less weight for equal or less money. We're the people who have money, but choose to watch every dollar closely and refuse to make purchases, even $500 ones, on poorly thought out technologies that are obsolete before they are released.
    Show me a 2.5 pound laptop with WiFi and cell connectivity for $500. That a Fortune 500 will buy. I'll buy it too, right now. I have yet to find a UMPC for under $1000. I check Best Buy regularly and can't find an ultra there for less than $800 that's worth my time.

Welcome ecoper. You're another 1st-post, June 2007 member who's joined a treo-centric forum to discuss a loosely-related (at best) product. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean Jeff Hawkins isn't trying to flood the boards with Foleo shills!
    Follow this link to find out who I am: ecowper. Laughs, I'm not a Foleo shill. Why is that your automatic reaction because I don't agree with you?
    Last edited by ecowper; 06/09/2007 at 09:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    You're another 1st-post, June 2007 member who's joined a treo-centric forum to discuss a loosely-related (at best) product.
    Maybe it would make sense if he chose to post in perhaps the most active Foleo forum on the web?
    Maybe it would make sense if he chose to post in perhaps the most active Foleo forum on the web?
    Well, I happened to be searching for as much information as I could find on the Foleo. If you google Foleo, aside from all the computer mags, this forum comes up fairly high. So, I came by, read the article, the Q&A, and the forum. Got interested in it, then got interested in trying to explain to the naysayers why I like it.

You know, people keep pointing out that there are $500 laptops. Every one I can find, searching Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. weighs 5.5 to 6 pounds, is 15 to 16 inches wide, etc. The Asus Eee is not released yet. I've done other UP laptops and wasn't happy with them. UMPC's are expensive, for less screen real estate and the same amount of complexity with laptop to smartphone. Give me a real alternative, for $500, weighs 2.5 pounds or less, is always on, has WiFi, bluetooth, USB, comes from a trusted name and is only 10.5" wide. It has to read and edit Office 2007 docs, have a web browser and have an email client that works with Exchange Server.

Post a link for it, if such a thing exists.
    I guess I was being too subtle by embedding a link.
    No, I was just pointing out how I got here. I got it.
    I guess I was being too subtle by embedding a link.
    What's the problem? This is a Foleo thread in the Foleo sub-forum.

I know I'm super-sleepy, but what am I missing, here?
    I think samkim was trying to point out that posting pro Foleo stuff for the first time in this forum, which is the most active Foleo forum out there, doesn't make me a shill. At least, that's how I took it.

By the way, I'm getting ready to replace my 650. How do you like the 755p?
    I think samkim was trying to point out that posting pro Foleo stuff for the first time in this forum, which is the most active Foleo forum out there, doesn't make me a shill. At least, that's how I took it.

By the way, I'm getting ready to replace my 650. How do you like the 755p?
    I'm very pleased with it. So's m'lady, who's a first-time Treo owner.

There are certainly areas for improvement (like the Treo-crippling task of juggling more than one call, at a time), but I love the increased browsing speed, quicker Bluetooth connections, and, of course, much more memory.

Here's a thread I started for 755P perspectives from 650 owners: click here

I hope that helps.
    don't business travelers like the option of being able to watch a movie on their laptop, or perhaps play a game of sorts? could they do so on a Fooleo?
    Last edited by oalvarez; 06/10/2007 at 10:51 AM.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Have you ever worked for a large company, let's say $5 billion plus? Do you actually know how such companies purchase laptops?
    Inefficiently in my experience - but probably not so inefficiently as to purchase Foleos. Big corporations tend to stick with the mainstream purchases. I presume you'll buy your own Foleo and amortize it in your taxes.

A Palm Treo AC adapter is 1/4 the size and weight of AC adapter for my laptop. Do you think that the Foleo will have a big AC adapter? Are you suggesting that 5 hours, with WiFi turned on, is worse than 4 hours, with WiFi turned on, that I get on my current laptop?
    And the Treo charger is bigger than my Motorola too, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the unknown size of the Foleo charger. As to wifi time, I'm suggesting that 5 hours of wifi time with a gimped machine still isn't worth any amount of wifi time on a machine that runs mainstream software...without the Foleo's significant limitations in memory, storage, OS, CPU power, or ...software.

Show me a 2.5 pound laptop with WiFi and cell connectivity for $500. That a Fortune 500 will buy. I'll buy it too, right now. I have yet to find a UMPC for under $1000. I check Best Buy regularly and can't find an ultra there for less than $800 that's worth my time.
    I'll show you mine when you show me your Foleo (hmm...that didn't sound right! ) - oh wait, you can't because the Foleo isn't available yet. Well it looks like my (not yet available) Asus will dance circles around your (not yet available) Foleo...at a competitive price (probably lower, but who can say?). I don't think a Fortune 500 company will buy either one of them, so it will likely be a personal (tax deductible) purchase...just like you could do with many other better-performing (as in all aspects), but more expensive models today. How much is your productive time worth? I could make up the difference between a Foleo's cost and the cost of pretty much any subnotebook at Dynamism in a half a day of billable hours.

Follow this link to find out who I am: ecowper. Laughs, I'm not a Foleo shill. Why is that your automatic reaction because I don't agree with you?
    The reaction is hardly automatic. Why would a Foleo shill have to work for Palm? There are many who shill for products they don't produce (ever heard of Walt Mossberg?) - why should you be different?

Are you also a member of ASIS? They're more focused on physical security, but they have a good amount of information security activity too.

Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    Ironic, isn't it? One might have thought this link would be more appropriate, but it's a ghost town..
    How much is your productive time worth? I could make up the difference between a Foleo's cost and the cost of pretty much any subnotebook at Dynamism in a half a day of billable hours.
    First, I have bought a couple subnotebooks (tax deductible as you noted) and not been that pleased with them.

Second, I doubt that your billable hours are billed at $500/hour. Perhaps they are billed at $250/hour. In which case your billable hours would make up the difference in price in 4 hours of the least expensive notebook on there. However, most of them (all but one actually) cost $2000 more than the Foleo will cost, or more.

Third, what do I need for mobile computing? I read and edit word, excel, powerpoint. I use an SSL VPN in a browser. I use email and contacts. The one real lack (I think Palm is confused on this) would be the calendar. I read PDF's. I give presentations. In what way is a subnotebook, of any sort, going to provide me with more value than a Foleo? Assuming, of course, the Foleo performs as advertised.

I'll show you mine when you show me your Foleo (hmm...that didn't sound right! ) - oh wait, you can't because the Foleo isn't available yet. Well it looks like my (not yet available) Asus will dance circles around your (not yet available) Foleo...at a competitive price (probably lower, but who can say?).
    This is what I keep hearing. Oh, you can get a notebook for $500. Yep, and what do you get? Like the Toshiba my son has, 6 pounds and big.

The ASUS is interesting. But, can you open it up, have it automatically connect to your Treo when there's no available WiFi? I can't easily do that with my nc4400 right now, why would I expect another general purpose computer to behave that way? Will it easily synch my email and contacts? For all that we brag about our Treo's and laptops, I haven't found it to be as if they are a single tied together group of devices. Loosely coupled is more like it.

The reaction is hardly automatic. Why would a Foleo shill have to work for Palm? There are many who shill for products they don't produce (ever heard of Walt Mossberg?) - why should you be different?
    First, I have no need to shill for this product. Second, just because I disagree with you does not make me a shill. Reminds me of why I dislike electronic forums.

Yes, I'm a member of ASIS. Why?

don't business travelers like the option of being able to watch a movie on their laptop, or perhaps play a game of sorts? could they do so on a Fooleo?
    I tend to listen to music and work. Sometimes watch a movie. Never played a game while I was traveling. And if that was the only advantage a full laptop gave me, I'd buy a portable DVD player and call it good.

I'm going to ask this. All you folks that think a laptop and a Treo are the way to go instead, explain to me what the laptop gives me that the Foleo doesn't. Be nice and specific please.
    Last edited by ecowper; 06/10/2007 at 12:21 PM.
    Last. Apparently, if you see a product announcement by a company you like, the product is very interesting to you, and you try to explain why, that makes you a shill. Thanks for clarifying that Kupe.
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast