Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    The reply my question got in the article just posted wasn't completely unexpected, though I do admit it comes from the Palm marketing engine-that-could. "... but none of those devices so seamlessly integrated with your Treo/smartphone." Sure, but the Treo didn't EXIST then. The point was really more along the line of "how does this vertical device distinguish itself as an entirely new market when we've seen this form factor before and the only /real/ differentiator seems to be a bit of software to sync email."

Oh well... with no real answer coming, I guess I'll just unsub these threads and move along.
    You'd probably be right to ... the differentiators are Palm's version of Linux, zen of Palm, the syncing, basically. On a point by point basis, the Foleo is basically a bit of a loser. But it's possible, I suppose, that the software will be so good that it won't matter - sort of like the original iPod's failure on a point by point basis.

No, I don't think the Foleo is the next iPod, just so we're clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    The reply my question got in the article just posted wasn't completely unexpected, though I do admit it comes from the Palm marketing engine-that-could. "... but none of those devices so seamlessly integrated with your Treo/smartphone." Sure, but the Treo didn't EXIST then. The point was really more along the line of "how does this vertical device distinguish itself as an entirely new market when we've seen this form factor before and the only /real/ differentiator seems to be a bit of software to sync email."

Oh well... with no real answer coming, I guess I'll just unsub these threads and move along.
    I think you are right on target on this one. Had the Treo existed back then, writing a driver to sync the two would not have been rocket science. Perhaps if Hawkins hadn't played "peek-a-boo" with this thing for the last two years, heralding it as the second comng, I would have been more forgiving, but for crying out loud, he's the one with the superlatives about ubiquitous access to unlimited data, anytime, anywhere. This is NOT what he described. It is a glorified keyboard and screen for a better email/internet experience. This thing reeks of 1998 technology. With the cost of 4gb SD cards under $80, surely they could have stuffed it with a lot more storage for heaven's sake. I think we all expected a ground breaking, WLAN or high end 3G device that would untie us from our current notebooks or desktops. Instead of a Mercedes, he laid a Yugo on us.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    ... On a point by point basis, the Foleo is basically a bit of a loser. But it's possible, I suppose, that the software will be so good that it won't matter - sort of like the original iPod's failure on a point by point basis.

No, I don't think the Foleo is the next iPod, just so we're clear.
    Yes, the iPod comparison came up in a different thread. And I don't necessarily think the comparison is invalid... but it assumes a few things from Palm that aren't in evidence yet. I posted my take on an iPod/Foleo comparision is here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=163
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345