Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Miss the mark. Jump the Shark. Screw the Pooch. Anyway you label it, Foleo probably has drained so much development resource from PalmOS smart phone devices, that little or nothing will be left to compete with other vendors.

If a Palm device users need portable bigger screen, full keyboard, etc. he *already* has a laptops. Users who don't need laptops don't need anything like a laptop. D'OH!

I've been a Palm user and fan since the original Palm Pilot days: PalmPilot 5000, Palm Vx, Treo 600, Treo 650.

But I am astounded at how badly this company, brand, and platform have been (mis) managed over the years, and continue to be mismanaged.

I'm gonna go out and buy the latest and greatest Palm smartphone right away, because in another year or two, this ham-handed, two-left-feet, all thumbs, numb-nuts company will not be producing smartphones that I prefer.
    Day-Timer (1995) > Palm Pilot 5000 (1996) > Palm Vx (1999) > Treo 600 (2003) > Treo 650 (2006)

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by dnheller View Post
    Miss the mark. Jump the Shark. Screw the Pooch. Anyway you label it, Foleo probably has drained so much development resource from PalmOS smart phone devices, that little or nothing will be left to compete with other vendors.

If a Palm device users need portable bigger screen, full keyboard, etc. he *already* has a laptops. Users who don't need laptops don't need anything like a laptop. D'OH!

I've been a Palm user and fan since the original Palm Pilot days: PalmPilot 5000, Palm Vx, Treo 600, Treo 650.

But I am astounded at how badly this company, brand, and platform have been (mis) managed over the years, and continue to be mismanaged.

I'm gonna go out and buy the latest and greatest Palm smartphone right away, because in another year or two, this ham-handed, two-left-feet, all thumbs, numb-nuts company will not be producing smartphones that I prefer.

The Mystery Device leaves a lot to be desired! I just want a thin Treo that works like it supposed too!. It doesn't terribly grab my fancy! So many years wasted that could have been put into the development of the Treo 800-900 series. Internal GPS, BT that works with AD2P and add in GSM and I guess Wifi.
    I am again disappointed!!
    LMAO!

I have been waiting for a wifi enabled Palm product and this is what they come up with ????
    I'm not overwhelmed by Foleo. It's interesting..but still to large for my tastes and more importantly, too limited in its functionality. Personally, I'd be happy with an I-phone size screen (a bigger treo) and retaining all the functionality of the treo rather than carrying around two separate devices.

For those features that it does have, I need lots more info first.

One: With what systems is the email compatible? Can it handle more then one user and save their settings and keep them private?

Two: How robust is the webbrowser? Which web browser is used? Can it handle flash? Which versions of flash? what about java programs or you-tube-style video.

Three: Is there any standalone video capability/audio capabilities on Foleo?

Four: How much internal memory is there? Is it expandable? If so, by what types of memory cards?

Five: Can it hook up to printers?

Six: can you import/export favorites?

Seven: How snappy is it? i.e. lag time between switching apps/loading documents/powering on apps? What's under the hood?

Eight: Can it run any other programs? Or is it just limited to email/browsing/attachments.

Nine: Can you edit attachments or just view them?
    I agree this is a waste of their development resources. I, like MANY other Treo users, ALL READY HAVE A LAPTOP! Why would I want this? They should have been working on better Treo's. This is a sad day.
    IMHO, this Falleo would have been better if they went ahead and included the Treo radio and made it a laphonetop. At least you would only have to keep up with one set of chargers/batteries.
    Last edited by chodaboy; 05/30/2007 at 04:25 PM. Reason: I can't spell...
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    IMHO, this Falleo would have been better if they went ahead and included the Treo radio and made it a laphonetop. At least you would only have to keep up with one set of chargers/batteries.
    Anyone remember an IBM z50...this was tried about 10 years ago. And it failed. Windows CE though
    This would have been good 6 years ago, when the avg laptop cost 1200.00. But now, you can go into a big box retailer and get a vista loaded laptop, dual core for 600.00. Fully functional. So why in the hell would I buy this for 500.00? This product is so far off the mark, some folks should get fired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apanther View Post
    This would have been good 6 years ago, when the avg laptop cost 1200.00. But now, you can go into a big box retailer and get a vista loaded laptop, dual core for 600.00. Fully functional. So why in the hell would I buy this for 500.00? This product is so far off the mark, some folks should get fired.
    You're wrong, you have to shell our $600 for this thing, then if you're lucky you'll get a $100 check from Palm (or someone they do business with) several months later.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Why haven't I heard anything about the possibility that Palm will be coming out with smaller sleeker phones now. The heavy business users will be able to purchase the Foleo when they need to do heavy work and the casual user can carry something good looking in their pocket and not look like they've grabbed their home phone by accident.

That's where I see this is going, at least. I know me, I'd skip the Foleo part and go for just the sleek phone. While I love my 700p, it's entirely too bulky for me. I do love the contacts, calendar, etc. apps but I would be willing to give up some features to get this thing a lot sleeker. I'm going to bet (hope) something else comes of this in the next couple of months.

Of course, if I'm wrong, this is a bad move for Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe View Post
    LMAO!

I have been waiting for a WIFI enabled Palm product and this is what they come up with ????
    Dude- There is not going to be a WIFI packed Treo because the carriers don't want that! Palm doesn't have the chops to force feed a WIFI Treo to the carriers. Fahgetaboutit!

WIFI is overrated anyways!
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    You're wrong, you have to shell our $600 for this thing, then if you're lucky you'll get a $100 check from Palm (or someone they do business with) several months later.
    EXACTLY! I traded-up my Treo 650 in the Palm-Trade up program. Buzzt! Wrong Answer! After 6 months and daily phone calls with palm, I finally got a check for a reduced amount than what Palm advertised!

I added Palm to my memo of companies not to accept rebate offers from.

If you want one of these folios, just wait 6 months and buy them from overstock.com at 25% of retail.
    The true genius of these guys is shown by how they positioned their Logo on the Folio cover. When you have the unit open so that everyone can see the lid, their logo is upsidedown!! Doh!
    but the foleo is such a joke, they couldn't have invested much in terms of time and money
    Couldn't agree more. This is crazy. Steve Jobs must be laughing hysterically.
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    Couldn't agree more. This is crazy. Steve Jobs must be laughing hysterically.
    The whole computing world is laughing at Palm right now. How embarrassing.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    The Ipod made Apple relevant to non-Mac customers and restored Apple's position as one of the most innovative companies around. Even having owned and loved Handspring/Palm devices since the Pilot, I just can't see how the Foleo is going to be Palm's Ipod.

If you are willing to carry more gadgets, it won't be long before you could almost have the same thing with a BT keyboard and a separate flexible OLED display. Why on earth they spent so much on this device while letting the Treo line go stagnant is beyond me.

Without something "truly innovative", I think Palm has lost the title of "most innovative smartphone company" as their competitors have largely caught up (and in some cases may be leading). Does that make them Dead Company Walking? I hope not, but am afraid so.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    You're right!!!!
    I am disappointed to say the least. I agree that this could have been interesting 5 years ago but it's too late and outdated now. How dumb could this be to rely on the cellular carrier's data for email? That is plain dumb. But then, this is a "dumb" device anyway since it's a "smart"phone's companion. But, why would I buy a dumb companion if my smartphone does most of the work anyway? If I wanted a larger screen, I'd lug my 10+ year old collecting dust laptop of yesteryear.

Time to seriously look at the alternatives for a true Treo companion. Obviously, not Palm branded.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    so why do carriers have many ppc phones that have wireless then?? this makes no sense that the treo still doesn't have wireless. wifi is good if you travel the world & then you can still use it for data & even voip in some instances.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast