View Poll Results: Consider Foleo purchase if priced less than $200.00 US

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I would purchase if less than $200.00US

    94 61.84%
  • No. I still would not purchase at any price.

    58 38.16%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61
  1. migs's Avatar
    Posts
    875 Posts
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
       #1  
    Would you consider purchasing the folio device if it was less than $200.00 US? I see it more like an accessory so I dont plan on spending more than half of what my Treo is priced new.
    Last edited by migs; 05/30/2007 at 03:41 PM.
  2. #2  
    $75, not a penny more.
  3. #3  
    I think I might go $150.
  4. #4  
    $200 or less sounds about right to me. $499-599 is simply too much. I see the benefit of this device, but the price is all wrong.
  5. #5  
    They should give it free with the 680. Then, I could buy the 680 without feeling guilty.

    $100 (4500 INR) seems to be good, though. Just like buying a case + cradle + stylus + headphones for my Treo... After all, it is termed (by Palm itself) as a Treo accessory (it gets nowhere without a Treo mothership close by).
  6. #6  
    Under $200 I'd think about it. At laptop prices nobody would ever buy this thing though.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  7. #7  
    yep - under 200 would make a nice accessory for a Troe owner.

    If it was smaller, and offered more in productivity ... but for a treo owner $500 is a no-no

    I wonder what Blackbeerry owners wil l think ....
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  8. migs's Avatar
    Posts
    875 Posts
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
       #8  
    Maybe, they would offer a discount for Treo owners only. Any other non Treo owners would pay full price.....
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    Maybe, they would offer a discount for Treo owners only. Any other non Treo owners would pay full price.....
    The Foleo wouldn't be any use to those who don't have a Treo, right? It syncs with VersaMail.
  10. #10  
    He said they plan on supporting as many smartphones as possible...
  11. #11  
    With all due respect, $200? I know there is a lot of disappointment that this thing wasn't wild with features, but you've got to be kidding me. These things are not manufactured with $5 in parts.

    You've got a 10" display with WiFi and BT 2.0 and 128 MB of RAM with a 5 hour battery. You guys are not being creative enough in what you might do with this. I'm not saying this is an amazing device, it's a niche product for certain. But $200? I can't even take that seriously as a legit question. That's little more than whining because it wasn't something revolutionary.

    This thing is based on Linux. I give it under 1 month before someone hacks the device to do things that have not been even thought about.

    Will I buy one at $500? I don't know. Probably not. You can get better functionality for that price or less. But you won't get better functionality with that weight and that battery life (much less instant on) unless you pay closer to $1,500.
  12. migs's Avatar
    Posts
    875 Posts
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by enynite View Post
    He said they plan on supporting as many smartphones as possible...
    I thought I had read this as well, so it would make sense if Palm would offer a deep discount to customers who purchase the Treo and the Foleo as a bundle.
  13. lschiedel's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #13  
    If it sold for < $100 and worked with any WIFI router,
    I would buy it as a portable email/web browser (especially if the main machine is in use).
    Can you imagine how many would be sold as secondary web browsers for households (with wifi routers) for the kids to carry around and browse the web?
    But at anything over $100 its better to just buy a used PII or PIII laptop for $100 with say Windows98 on it.

    Basically the only advantage is 5 hours laptop usage and instant on, but who is going to use if for that long, or set up a laptop and then worry about windows taking 30 seconds to come out of hibernation.

    Does this thing even have a USB port so i could connect a mouse?

    HAHA.
  14. cadams's Avatar
    Posts
    301 Posts
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    With all due respect, $200? I know there is a lot of disappointment that this thing wasn't wild with features, but you've got to be kidding me. These things are not manufactured with $5 in parts.

    You've got a 10" display with WiFi and BT 2.0 and 128 MB of RAM with a 5 hour battery. You guys are not being creative enough in what you might do with this. I'm not saying this is an amazing device, it's a niche product for certain. But $200? I can't even take that seriously as a legit question. That's little more than whining because it wasn't something revolutionary.

    This thing is based on Linux. I give it under 1 month before someone hacks the device to do things that have not been even thought about.

    Will I buy one at $500? I don't know. Probably not. You can get better functionality for that price or less. But you won't get better functionality with that weight and that battery life (much less instant on) unless you pay closer to $1,500.

    Hold on, did you say 128 MB of RAM? I'll pay $201 then

    There is no reason this should cost more than a 10" DVD player considering the only thing that should be at all costly is the screen, and it's not even a touch screen and it has no media drive.

    At a $199 price point I would get this accessory because that's all it is, an accessory. At $500 it better be able to do everything my Treo can when I take away the Treo. Turns out it's really a $1000 device when you factor in having to get a smart phone to actually use this thing.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    With all due respect, $200? I know there is a lot of disappointment that this thing wasn't wild with features, but you've got to be kidding me. These things are not manufactured with $5 in parts.

    You've got a 10" display with WiFi and BT 2.0 and 128 MB of RAM with a 5 hour battery. You guys are not being creative enough in what you might do with this. I'm not saying this is an amazing device, it's a niche product for certain. But $200? I can't even take that seriously as a legit question. That's little more than whining because it wasn't something revolutionary.

    This thing is based on Linux. I give it under 1 month before someone hacks the device to do things that have not been even thought about.

    Will I buy one at $500? I don't know. Probably not. You can get better functionality for that price or less. But you won't get better functionality with that weight and that battery life (much less instant on) unless you pay closer to $1,500.
    Under $200 is the price we'd pay for it based on it's actual capabilities, not how much it actually costs them to make. Sorry but you can't hack capability into a device that doesn't support it by hardware. That's like saying you could hack integrated WiFi or GPS into a Treo. It can't be done.

    So let's look at the numbers. For $400 I can go to Best Buy and pick up a laptop with 512MB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, fully functional OS (well, as functional as Vista can be, but that's another discussion), DVD drive, and 1.8 GHz processor.

    Or...I can get a Foleo with 128mb RAM, no hard drive, a stripped down version of Linux, no CD or DVD drive, and a processor that isn't powerful enough to play flash video. And then you expect me to shell out $200 more for it?

    No. I would pay less than $200 for that kind of reduced capability. You want linux on a laptop (which is what the Foleo is)? Go buy one at Best Buy and install Ubuntu.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  16. migs's Avatar
    Posts
    875 Posts
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    With all due respect, $200? I know there is a lot of disappointment that this thing wasn't wild with features, but you've got to be kidding me. These things are not manufactured with $5 in parts.

    You've got a 10" display with WiFi and BT 2.0 and 128 MB of RAM with a 5 hour battery. You guys are not being creative enough in what you might do with this. I'm not saying this is an amazing device, it's a niche product for certain. But $200? I can't even take that seriously as a legit question. That's little more than whining because it wasn't something revolutionary.

    This thing is based on Linux. I give it under 1 month before someone hacks the device to do things that have not been even thought about.

    Walmart sells a full Linux laptop for $398.00
    14.1 screen
    128 MB memory
    30 GB hard drive
    CD-ROM drive

    For $398.00 so you cant tell me that Palm expect more than $200

    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3504708
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    The Foleo wouldn't be any use to those who don't have a Treo, right? It syncs with VersaMail.
    It also synchs with any Windows Mobile Smartphone!!! That's a pretty big market.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    Walmart sells a full Linux laptop for $398.00
    14.1 screen
    128 MB memory
    30 GB hard drive
    CD-ROM drive

    For $398.00 so you cant tell me that Palm expect more than $200

    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3504708
    Man, WalMart's ripping you off. This one from Best Buy is selling for $399 (no rebate required), has 512MB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, and a DVD-Rom/CD-RW drive.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  19. migs's Avatar
    Posts
    875 Posts
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Man, WalMart's ripping you off. This one from Best Buy is selling for $399 (no rebate required), has 512MB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, and a DVD-Rom/CD-RW drive.
    I was comparing a Laptop with Linux, but yes that is a great example of a Windows Laptop for $399.
  20. tirk's Avatar
    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    #20  
    I wouldn't buy at any feasible price. I can't see any circumstances where I would carry my Treo and a Foleo, but not my laptop (which weighs damn near the same, has 5 hours battery life but does loads more).

    If it was under $20 I might get one to play with Linux on...but I've got old PCs I could do that with if I wanted to, so probably no even then.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions