519. You may not vote on this poll
  • Foleo is a good thing

194 37.38%
  • Foleo is a bad thing

325 62.62%
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I suspect we know the outcome, but let's see!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    'Mmmmmm, Foleo.' (Insert homer.jpg here)
    Sheesh...if you're gonna make it a poll you have to make it a poll. If it were actually a poll though I'd give it a big fat 2 thumbs down.

Edit: thanks for fixing it to make the poll work. Added my vote.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Absolutely dumbfounds me that anyone on the planet would think this is a good idea. "Here's the bulk of a laptop, and teh same lack of functionality of a smartphone".
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Sheesh...if you're gonna make it a poll you have to make it a poll. If it were actually a poll though I'd give it a big fat 2 thumbs down.
    I was keeping it simple for you guys that live in a two party state
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by rezdog View Post
    Absolutely dumbfounds me that anyone on the planet would think this is a good idea. "Here's the bulk of a laptop, and teh same lack of functionality of a smartphone".
    It was a Palm employee lurking on the site.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I think it's a good thing but it's certainly not the next "big thing". Will I buy one? I seriously doubt it.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Hey palm, who`s on first?

`cause there`s no one on second, third, home, in the clubhouse, in the stands or even in the god forsaken general manager`s office...

Hey Jeff, I think I`d sell my stock too if i were you....

wow. Truly, what happened to the innovation of handspring and the momentum there once was? This is sad!
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    No matter how Foleo is classified ("mobile companion" according to Palm), it's a ultra mobile PC/laptop. I actually dozed off when I was watching the presentation. :-(

The best feature of Foleo which I wish all laptops can do is the instant-on feature. Thumbs up on this.

Anyway, Palm needs to climb a very difficult up-hill battle to convince people that it's not just another laptop.

BTW, did you guys notice that VersaMail is still everywhere on Foleo and the Treo that are in the presentation?
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Wow, 4 people have said it's good, but I've yet to see a single comment backing up that side of the argument. Just what good is there about it? It has WiFi?
    It's not just another laptop - it's so much less...
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    um... why... seems useless... sigh
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Wow, 4 people have said it's good, but I've yet to see a single comment backing up that side of the argument.
    Palm staff voting?

Just what good is there about it? It has WiFi?
    Nope.
    I can get a Jornada 720 on ebay for 1/3 the price. Slap a wifi card in it and I've got a foleo, but portable.

and..no touchscreen? I haven't heard one way or another..
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    The best feature of Foleo which I wish all laptops can do is the instant-on feature. Thumbs up on this.
    Doesn't every laptop with suspend have instant on?

Surur
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    My 1.3kg laptop does. Admittedly it cost about 50% more than (my) predicted UK price, but it does do more! More than 50% more (more than 500% more!)
    Now that I have sobered up I would like to retract my 'good thing' vote please.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    One issue with suspend mode on laptops is that the laptop actually is still running but at a very low-power level, which means it consumes battery and possbily drains all the juice before you know it. This is the reason I don't use suspend but hibernate instead. BTW, I assume Foleo's 'instant on' feature means that when it's off, it doesn't consume any power.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    I would vote if only I knew where the reset button is...
    Good: Instant on, Wi-Fi, external monitor/projector support, SD card support, 5 hour battery life (will it last this long at full use?)

Bad: No video support? Basically a laptop.

Unknown: If it truly Linux there should be expandability options. Especially with VMWare Player . . . Could you fit a fully functional XP/Vista install on an SD card?

Bottom line to me is that this is not a cutting edge device. As others have said, it's basically a dumbed down laptop. I can see people who travel for business every week loving something like this, but I don't think it will have mass commercial appeal anytime soon. Maybe with the Foleo 650/755???
    PalmPilot Professional -> Handspring Visor Deluxe (Blue) -> Samsung SPH-I300 -> Sony Clie PEG-SJ30 -> Sony Clie PEG-SJ33 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Palm Pre
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast