Voters
519. You may not vote on this poll
  • Foleo is a good thing

194 37.38%
  • Foleo is a bad thing

325 62.62%
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    The biggest problem with Foleo is that nobody gets it, particularly the Palm/Treo community... However, nobody got the iPod either when it was first announced - see the original forum posts at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500
    Classic
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    I love it! Replace "iPod" in the posts with "Foleo" and you have an almost word-for-word transcript of this thread! Yeah, Apple made a big mistake with the iPod!
    If all Apple had done was release the iPod then I'd have to say I'd have agreed with those posts. By itself the iPod really isn't anything special. It's the combined experience of iTunes, iPod, and the integrated shopping experience (which had the added challenge of making it compelling and stocking it with enough music) that led to the success of a device. Even after Apple's trials and tribulations Microsoft managed to give us the Zune (ugh).

So, if Palm wants to sell us on a vision or experience, I get that. My concern is that without actually completing the puzzle the Foleo is, by itself, merely another visit down PC companion row (circa 1998). And given Palm's recent, apparent inability to properly execute something so straightforward as an MR (700P owners have definitely taken note), one seriously wonders whether Palm has the wherewithall to actually execute on a multi-product strategy.

So... if you really thing the Foleo can by itself make Palm's new market and save it from itself when it can't seem to stay ahead of the curve in it's existing markets then all the more power to you. I'm not so confident in their ability.
    in palm's own forum, 70%+ think its bad, I would think 90% of the general tech users would also think so.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    I love it! Replace "iPod" in the posts with "Foleo" and you have an almost word-for-word transcript of this thread! Yeah, Apple made a big mistake with the iPod!
    This one's my favorite
    Great just what the world needs, another freaking MP3 player. Go Steve! Where's the Newton?!
    The iPhone is really the 'Newton' by stealth. Steve Jobs hated the Newton and swore he wouldn't produce a PDA.

Meanwhile, we Palm users want a new smartphone/PDA and we get the Foleo! And we're worried Palm will be outdone by the iPhone! What a crazy messed-up world...
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Hey palm, who`s on first?

`cause there`s no one on second, third, home, in the clubhouse, in the stands or even in the god forsaken general manager`s office...

Hey Jeff, I think I`d sell my stock too if i were you....

wow. Truly, what happened to the innovation of handspring and the momentum there once was? This is sad!
    http://news.com.com/Palm+The+new+com...ht&tag=nl.e703
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Repeating marketing junk doesn't make it true. My laptop goes from standby to connected to wifi in 3 seconds, and from hibernate in 30 seconds. "Instant on" means nothing if you want to use a Foleo, as to do anything useful, it needs to connect to your phone, and possibly then get that to connect to the internet. My laptop can go from "off" to displaying email faster than my 680 can go from on but not connected to the internet. So how truthful is this "instant on" shibboleth?
    I've been thinking the same thing. Instant on is no big deal when every windows laptop already does this with standby and hybernate. I use hybernate most of the time specifically for this reason. It isn't "instant" but close enough. If the laptop is up and running from hybernate faster than I can say "Let me look that up on my laptop, it'll be just a second here" it's good enough for me.
    It takes me no more than about 30 seconds if that to come out of hybernate.
    Last edited by taylorh; 06/07/2007 at 12:33 AM.
    personally i prefer a full OS to sync my device/s. still the foleo looks sexy. if they made this a full OS notebook I might even get one never mind the price and the instant on stuff [I work to buy toys errr... devices hehehe ]
    Bny Castro

MTFBWY...
    my blog | twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by bnycastro View Post
    personally i prefer a full OS to sync my device/s. still the foleo looks sexy. if they made this a full OS notebook I might even get one never mind the price and the instant on stuff [I work to buy toys errr... devices hehehe ]
    We await your review.
    Haha! If it launches here in Manila! the Treo 750 just launched last Mar here hahaha we are way behind always.
    Bny Castro

MTFBWY...
    my blog | twitter
    I think that PALM completely missed the mark on this one. Instead of investing in a teriffic product (TREO) that was starting to age and improving upon that. They waste their money on the Foleo. What the heck were they thinking?!?!?! That money could have been better spent on improving the Treo. As much as I LOVE my Treo 750; there is definitely room for improvement. Especially as I look at the competition (RIM) and see what they're doing.

If Palm continues on this path, I don't see much of a future for them.
    At that size, the laptops that are available are neutered AND expensive...

For a mobile professional like me, this thing is PERFECT! ALL I do is web stuff, email, word processing, and PIM.

You people that are saying just to get a small laptop, do you run photoshop on your 10 inch screen laptops?

Just as an asside, I DO see this thing as an accessory for the treo, like a bad-a55 BT keyboard. But I have always wanted a bad-a55 BT keyboard like this.

I am currently using a BB Pearl, but I am going to switch back to the treo just for this.
    http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=7317
    http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/eee-pc/
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/a...ing-266008.php
    http://event.asus.com/eeepc/

Oh SNAP! A $200 ultra portable from ASUS.
    This thing is perfect. Everything about this is small (memory, processor, screen) so not much guts, but the perfect 'companion' for me. And I love the price.
    I want one.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I had to do a double take on the battery life though.... 3 hours? Seems an ultraportable with flash-based storage could do a liiiittle better than that. But the point is well taken that the price point and size of these buggers is on the way down. Take note Palm... your "new" market shrivels before you've even launched. I'd be amused if it wasn't so sad.
    I have to say that Asus is very competitive, especially the 300 USD price tag, and the still better specs than the Foleo.

The Foleo should have the competitive advantage that it syncs with your Treo, but it's only *mail* for heaven's sake. And *only* the Treo. A niche in a niche.
    - FoleoCentral
    Staying where we are.
    The poll only gave two choices. Good or bad. I voted good because of the concept. This is 1st Generation of something good. I have and use the small keyboard in the car after meetings and apointments. Now if we could also poll would you buy one: this Good vote would say no, not right now. Just like I said, " why would I want my PDA and cell phone on the same device?"

Target
    Target

Using a GSM Treo Pro, my first Windows Mobile Device. Coming from a Cingular Treo 650.
     give me  3.5G HSDPA + wifi version   Palm base treo phone not PocketPC base (WM5 or WM6) OS , other PDA phone basic function include wireless Lan + 2Mega camera + GPS . but palm base treo is not ..
    I still use treo650 .

FOLEO(foleo) for me is FoOL with trEO 
    Quote Originally Posted by andy2000a View Post
     give me  3.5G HSDPA + wifi version   Palm base treo phone not PocketPC base (WM5 or WM6) OS , other PDA phone basic function include wireless Lan + 2Mega camera + GPS . but palm base treo is not ..
    I still use treo650 .

FOLEO(foleo) for me is FoOL with trEO 
    Seems so simple. Why doesn't Palm get it? Will they get it before it is too late? Are they up to it? Is it that much more difficult than it looks?

Historically they have leaked like a sieve. Does no leaks mean nothing is happening? Perry, where are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Target View Post
    The poll only gave two choices. Good or bad. I voted good because of the concept. This is 1st Generation of something good. I have and use the small keyboard in the car after meetings and apointments. Now if we could also poll would you buy one: this Good vote would say no, not right now. Just like I said, " why would I want my PDA and cell phone on the same device?"

Target
    Finally...somebody else gets it.

NOBODY'S BUYING THIS FOLEO! We all buy the concept, but they will sell a fraction of one whole percentage of the number of Treos they sell.

FLOP!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    I have to say that Asus is very competitive, especially the 300 USD price tag, and the still better specs than the Foleo.

The Foleo should have the competitive advantage that it syncs with your Treo, but it's only *mail* for heaven's sake. And *only* the Treo. A niche in a niche.
    x 1 billion. . .

This is nothing like Apple's forum's iPod-haters. This is obviously not a good use of Palm's energy.
    Last edited by grndslm; 06/12/2007 at 09:04 PM. Reason: 'Cause I'm friggin' st00pit, ok!!