519. You may not vote on this poll
  • Foleo is a good thing

194 37.38%
  • Foleo is a bad thing

325 62.62%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    My quess is the second any business type takes this device instead of his ultraportable and can't use and/or access a corporate app he needs he'll wonder why he ever purchased it.
    In time as apps become web enabled this may not be the case, but by that time I'm betting MS, Apple and others will have flash based laptops with instant or near instant boot up with 8 hours of battery life rendering this useless.
    I do understand the appeal of instant on though, but it's going to take more than that to market this thing and marketing isn't Palm's strength as far as I can tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDot View Post
    My quess is the second any business type takes this device instead of his ultraportable and can't use and/or access a corporate app he needs he'll wonder why he ever purchased it.
    In time as apps become web enabled this may not be the case, but by that time I'm betting MS, Apple and others will have flash based laptops with instant or near instant boot up with 8 hours of battery life rendering this useless.I do understand the appeal of instant on though, but it's going to take more than that to market this thing and marketing isn't Palm's strength as far as I can tell.
    Don't bet the farm!

The improvements my 755 has over the 600 I had not that long ago are at least equal to, if not more than, any improvements my laptops have seen in the same time frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    Don't bet the farm!

The improvements my 755 has over the 600 I had not that long ago are at least equal to, if not more than, any improvements my laptops have seen in the same time frame.
    http://www.htlounge.net/articles/336...Metro-Notebook

Surur
    If all laptops are one category, then so must be all cell phones be one category.

My treo is WAY smaller thinner and lighter and is light years ahead in function than the Moto brick I had weighing me down in '95 So I would argue that cell phones have seen a ton more innovation than laptops.
    If all laptops are one category, then so must be all cell phones be one category.

My treo is WAY smaller thinner and lighter and is light years ahead in function than the Moto brick I had weighing me down in '95 So I would argue that cell phones have seen a ton more innovation than laptops.
    Probably not. Portable computers used to be huge. Remember the Osbourne?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDot View Post
    In time as apps become web enabled this may not be the case, but by that time I'm betting MS, Apple and others will have flash based laptops with instant or near instant boot up with 8 hours of battery life rendering this useless.
    I do understand the appeal of instant on though, but it's going to take more than that to market this thing and marketing isn't Palm's strength as far as I can tell.
    So, THAT's what's gonna prevent this from selling!! I knew I couldn't quite put my finger on it. . . .

OK, since people keep bringing up the cheap, clunky laptops & then the expensive, more feature-filled device...and comparing each to the Foleo. Consider that everyone's not like you, and in fact, most people interested in the Foleo prolly already have a laptop that can do a lot more than Foleo can.

But we all have the same desires for features found in the Foleo: instant-on, speed, reliability, automagic syncing. SSDs (Solid State Disks) inherently have 3 of those features covered. So, when a 64GB SSD (SATA or PATA, depending on your laptop) is released for $499, would you rather put that in your current laptop, have quicker boot, quicker resume, quicker app runtime, & the peace of mind that your data will still be safe even when you wake up to the sound of your laptop being kicked off the bed/couch because you had a dream that you were Bruce Lee -- THAT is what gets people off!

Syncability, schminkability... it's called IMAP people. If you're going to buy a Foleo JUST for email, you're prolly already familiar with IMAP. Also, Google *is* evil because they still have not enabled IMAP....sorry Google, the truth hurts.

Soo...which would you rather have a new, craptastic Foleo JUST to send emails. . . OR the laptop you already have (here's mine: http://laptopsinc.com/Merchant2/merc...gory_Code=P1SX) with a 64GB SSD that increases battery life by 50+% (it'd give me 7~8hr on a new battery), and it'd actually put my Core 2 Duo to use!!! I can't even use my dual core processors because even 7200RPM HDs are soooo slow. SSDs will almost double the speed of your computer, as if the dual cores didn't do enough already!

Anyway....my answer is stick with my 4.3lbs device that's got a 13" transflective screen like the Treo 650, DVD burner, two speakers, a ctrl key, 802.11g to stream movies over my LAN, a soon-to-be SSD, etc...

I think this Foleo certainly has helped me rekindle my passion for this notebook...you should check it out, with or without the transflective screen upgrade.

SSD will save the world, tho!

Palm, why do you keep shortchanging me? My complement to the Treo is a 12"~13" laptop that has a card reader, speakers, dvd burner, 802.11g....and I already own it. The syncability part comes whenever you get off your *** and get on the grind!
    Ok, no imagination here. There is a gotomypc linux viewer. Therefore, I can access my work pc and my home pc from anywhere there is either wifi or GSM/Edge (in my T-Mobile world, where my unlimited $30/mo data plan gets me both unlimited EDGE and Hot Spot/WiFi access). So I can instantly turn the Foleo on from any room in my house (or any Starbucks or just about anywhere else in the world) and have access to any computer program on any computer I have gotomypc access to (and any file, similarly). Furthermore, web access and email of whatever flavor I want (OWA or <choke> Versamail, although I suspect Chatter will be available before you know it). Seems like a pretty good deal to me, especially since I also am packing an 8GB Class 6 SDHC card in my Treo 680 (and would be flabbergasted if the Foleo didn't have SDHC compatibility out of the box, since the 680 has it). Don't think I have to leave too much behind, especially if someone figures out how to run videos on it....
    Quote Originally Posted by skifellows View Post
    Ok, no imagination here. Don't think I have to leave too much behind, especially if someone figures out how to run videos on it....
    "figure out how to run videos on it?"

you mean it doesn't?
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Wow, 4 people have said it's good, but I've yet to see a single comment backing up that side of the argument. Just what good is there about it? It has WiFi?
    Foleo is a good thing because it emphasizes accessability over raw computing power in the mobile environment, which is exactly what the Palm Pilot originally offered. Specifically, I believe the instant-on capability of the Foleo will make it successful. Foleo rpresents a wager that there's a segment of users who want a device that's as simple to use as paper, and don't want to be bothered with hibernation and shutdown to capture a few notes.

Microsoft is headed in the other direction, with increasing complexity in the OS and the applications, and its only the advances in battery technology are keeping things afloat. We should be booting our laptops in three seconds by now!

Regards,

Matt
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ofoleo View Post
    Foleo is a good thing because it emphasizes accessability over raw computing power in the mobile environment, which is exactly what the Palm Pilot originally offered. Specifically, I believe the instant-on capability of the Foleo will make it successful. Foleo rpresents a wager that there's a segment of users who want a device that's as simple to use as paper, and don't want to be bothered with hibernation and shutdown to capture a few notes.

Microsoft is headed in the other direction, with increasing complexity in the OS and the applications, and its only the advances in battery technology are keeping things afloat. We should be booting our laptops in three seconds by now!
    Repeating marketing junk doesn't make it true. My laptop goes from standby to connected to wifi in 3 seconds, and from hibernate in 30 seconds. "Instant on" means nothing if you want to use a Foleo, as to do anything useful, it needs to connect to your phone, and possibly then get that to connect to the internet. My laptop can go from "off" to displaying email faster than my 680 can go from on but not connected to the internet. So how truthful is this "instant on" shibboleth?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    So how truthful is this "instant on" shibboleth?
    Its about as true as Jobs saying no-one had address books on their phones until the Iphone.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    "figure out how to run videos on it?"

you mean it doesn't?
    Luckily, you'll have your trusty Treo along to view videos since the larger, and one would incorrectly presume, more powerful Foleo doesn't have the oomph to play 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Luckily, you'll have your trusty Treo along to view videos since the larger, and one would incorrectly presume, more powerful Foleo doesn't have the oomph to play 'em.
    That's not clear yet. There is no video player for the Foleo. What we do know is that streaming Flash video is jerky. I'm not sure whether playing video from local storage would be less taxing on the weak processor.
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Repeating marketing junk doesn't make it true. My laptop goes from standby to connected to wifi in 3 seconds, and from hibernate in 30 seconds. "Instant on" means nothing if you want to use a Foleo, as to do anything useful, it needs to connect to your phone, and possibly then get that to connect to the internet. My laptop can go from "off" to displaying email faster than my 680 can go from on but not connected to the internet. So how truthful is this "instant on" shibboleth?
    Used anything BT lately?

I hear my phone ring turn on the headset and it connects before the second ring. I just picked up an MS laptop 8000 mouse, it connects so fast you wouldn't even know it had to. As for getting on the net, this would be a factor only the first time use for the day. After that your phone should be in a standby connected state.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Used anything BT lately?

I hear my phone ring turn on the headset and it connects before the second ring.
    You can't be using a Treo then.
    Foolio me once, shame on you...
    755p The 700 did this as well only a with a more limited selection of headsets
    whoa. wrong thread for this post. crazy I am!
    Last edited by Dieter Bohn; 06/04/2007 at 11:55 AM.
  18. Cato
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    In 10 seconds you could have typed... 10 words. what difference does it make to a device where you are going to sit down for, and spend the next 10 minutes writing a long document or looking up something on the web in any case?

Surur
    Instant-on is one of those things that is not necessarily rational, but people really like it - the gap between pressing the power button and being able to do something is just annoying, because you get distracted by something else.

My Dell laptop (1GB RAM, was quite top-end a couple of years ago) takes about a minute to come back from standby, never mind hibernate - much churning of hard disks, and I still can't work out why it's so slow. Hibernate doesn't work for most of my colleagues with these laptops (some are trying a Windows patch). Going into standby is also very slow - maybe 20-30 seconds if I've rebooted recently, otherwise more like a minute. And of course because hibernate doesn't work, I sometimes find that the batteries run out and I lose current state (and Word's autorecover doesn't always work...)

Even worse, I frequently find that the Dell doesn't turn on the screen when waking up sometimes, particularly when going to or from the dock - so I've stopped using the dock entirely to reduce this.

What's wrong with this picture? Windows laptops are simply too complex and don't work well as instant-on devices compared to smartphones. My Treo takes less than a second to power off or on. That's what I want from a Foleo.

I also like the other Foleo features such as low cost (for an ultraportable laptop - the rather nice Sony TX3XP costs about $3000 in the UK!), zero noise (no fan), good battery life, reasonable weight, ability to add 16 GB CF storage and 8GB SDHC, and most of all that it's Linux based yet has a simple appliance like model - I should get the flexibility of Linux (admittedly I use Linux at home) with the convenience of an appliance.

The biggest problem with Foleo is that nobody gets it, particularly the Palm/Treo community... However, nobody got the iPod either when it was first announced - see the original forum posts at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500

Give the Foleo some time, and let's see how it turns out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    Instant-on is one of those things that is not necessarily rational, but people really like it - the gap between pressing the power button and being able to do something is just annoying, because you get distracted by something else. .
    try and focus on the task at hand and not let yourself become distracted.

My Dell laptop (1GB RAM, was quite top-end a couple of years ago) takes about a minute to come back from standby, never mind hibernate - much churning of hard disks, and I still can't work out why it's so slow. Hibernate doesn't work for most of my colleagues with these laptops (some are trying a Windows patch). Going into standby is also very slow - maybe 20-30 seconds if I've rebooted recently, otherwise more like a minute. And of course because hibernate doesn't work, I sometimes find that the batteries run out and I lose current state (and Word's autorecover doesn't always work...).
    sounds like your laptop could use a spring cleaning (defrag and the like). then again, i've never really cared for dell computer products. they come loaded with too many programs that run in the background.

Even worse, I frequently find that the Dell doesn't turn on the screen when waking up sometimes, particularly when going to or from the dock - so I've stopped using the dock entirely to reduce this.

What's wrong with this picture? Windows laptops are simply too complex and don't work well as instant-on devices compared to smartphones. My Treo takes less than a second to power off or on. That's what I want from a Foleo....).
    windows laptops are no more complex than your ordinary pc. try rebooting your smartphone and tell me how long that takes.

The biggest problem with Foleo is that nobody gets it, particularly the Palm/Treo community... However, nobody got the iPod either when it was first announced - see the original forum posts at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500 .
    oh, i think everyone here gets it, they definitely get the joke.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    ...The biggest problem with Foleo is that nobody gets it, particularly the Palm/Treo community... However, nobody got the iPod either when it was first announced - see the original forum posts at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500

Give the Foleo some time, and let's see how it turns out.
    Great find...need to keep that bookmarked for future reference.

Still, I'll stay on the grumpy side and say the Fooly-oh will be a mega-flop for Palm. I just don't get it...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.