Voters
519. You may not vote on this poll
  • Foleo is a good thing

194 37.38%
  • Foleo is a bad thing

325 62.62%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    How long. If it takes more than 10 seconds its not standby. If its less, what difference does it make to a device where you are going to sit down for, and spend the next 10 minutes writing a long document or looking up something on the web in any case?

Surur
    Maybe I just want to schedule an appt and include a short note. All of which btw will be synced in real time to my treo so when I get out of the car and leave the foleo behind, I will have the info with me, without the need to perform a sometimes lengthy hotsync. (I have some conduits that can take quite a while)
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Interesting that this weeks talking treo 060107 goes on and on about how great the Folio is, but does not specifically mention the opinions of hundreds of its members in this poll (over two to one saying Folio is a bad thing) or even state anyting negative about the Folio consistent with member concerns. To me, this just shows TreoCentral's lack of concern about member opinion and makes them seem more like cheerleaders or extensions of the Palm advertising campaign than an objective source of information.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1225-1.htm
    Buh???

On the very first article posted (Interview with Steve Hawkins)

"I'm not a convert to the Foleo camp yet..."

If that's cheerleading I want to move to a different school...
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    Interesting that this weeks talking treo 060107 goes on and on about how great the Folio is, but does not specifically mention the opinions of hundreds of its members in this poll (over two to one saying Folio is a bad thing) or even state anyting negative about the Folio consistent with member concerns. To me, this just shows TreoCentral's lack of interest in member opinion and makes them seem more like cheerleaders or extensions of the Palm advertising campaign than an objective source of information.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1225-1.htm
    They include plenty of negative commentary in the media about the Treo. Do they usually include TC message board content in their media round-up?
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    Just did it it, took at least 5 seconds to actually standby and another 5 to come on and quite some time to connect to the network. The foleo is supposed to turn on and have instant access to the internet via BT on my treo.
    In 10 seconds you could have typed... 10 words. what difference does it make to a device where you are going to sit down for, and spend the next 10 minutes writing a long document or looking up something on the web in any case? This is not a PDA, and you will not be using it to get information at a glance. Thats what your smartphone is for.

Also, to connect instantly via bluetooth would mean the device would have to maintain a pairing and constant connection with your phone. This is impossible if your phone constantly goes out of range of your Foleo, and will also increase power drainage in standby much faster than 1 GB of RAM would have.

If you are talking about WIFI, there is no reason for the Foleo to connect faster than any other Linux laptop.

Lets remain realistic people, and separate marketing hype from pragmatic reality. Palm has shown no inclination for having or utilizing technology from the far future, more like from th distant past.

Surur
    FYI I won't be buying one in the near future because I just purchase an ultra portable lappy, but had I not, I would have given it strong cosideration.

The real time sync is the big advantage that I can see. This would also make the smaller clamshell PDA phones more attractive. Verizon has a WM device that I looked at. Sweet size! It was great for reference but not for input. the foleo would change that.
    Maybe I just want to schedule an appt and include a short note. All of which btw will be synced in real time to my treo so when I get out of the car and leave the foleo behind, I will have the info with me, without the need to perform a sometimes lengthy hotsync. (I have some conduits that can take quite a while)
    As you know, the Foleo does not do PIM, and for a short note, whats wrong with the keyboard on your Treo?

Surur
    In 10 seconds you could have typed... 10 words. what difference does it make to a device where you are going to sit down for, and spend the next 10 minutes writing a long document or looking up something on the web in any case? This is not a PDA, and you will not be using it to get information at a glance. Thats what your smartphone is for.

Also, to connect instantly via bluetooth would mean the device would have to maintain a pairing and constant connection with your phone. This is impossible if your phone constantly goes out of range of your Foleo, and will also increase power drainage in standby much faster than 1 GB of RAM would have.

If you are talking about WIFI, there is no reason for the Foleo to connect faster than any other Linux laptop.

Lets remain realistic people, and separate marketing hype from pragmatic reality. Palm has shown no inclination for having or utilizing technology from the far future, more like from th distant past.

Surur

HUH??? I look at the device as a quick way to input info on the fly. The treo would be more of a way to refrence the info at a glance. ie. appts etc..

Also when I get in the car my treo connects to my headset in about a second after being out of range and/or turned off all day. Why would the Foleo BT be any different?
    FYI I won't be buying one in the near future because I just purchase an ultra portable lappy, but had I not, I would have given it strong cosideration.

The real time sync is the big advantage that I can see. This would also make the smaller clamshell PDA phones more attractive. Verizon has a WM device that I looked at. Sweet size! It was great for reference but not for input. the foleo would change that.
    There is no doubt the Foleo is cool in its own way, but its pretty niche, and seems to fit an awkward market. It seems pretty unready for the market.

Surur
    Don't you remember how switching to broadband from dial-up changed how people used the Internet? 10 seconds makes a world of difference.
    As you know, the Foleo does not do PIM, and for a short note, whats wrong with the keyboard on your Treo?

Surur
    I didn't know that I couldn't do that. Is it only becaues they haven't yet developed the linux version. I can't believe this is the end result surely they have plans to include it.

Or this would make the device useless to me, hence useless to everyone
    I didn't know that I couldn't do that. Is it only becaues they haven't yet developed the linux version. I can't believe this is the end result surely they have plans to include it.

Or this would make the device useless to me, hence useless to everyone
    It wasn't in their design, but they mentioned that they may consider this in the future, and that third parties will provide thousands of apps. Also they were considering direct mail, which implies you can not download your e-mail via WIFI.

When talking about future applications a Palm spokesperson remarked that possible ideas include a Calendar and a direct email program. It does not seem that the device will include a full PIM suite. He also touted the ability to use your connected smartphone as a security proximity sensor. So if the Foleo detected the phone in range, the Foleo would not require a password when opened up.
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...foleo-webcast/

Re 10 seconds and broadband etc, the very design of the device (clam shell with an off-off button) will inhibit its casual use. The screen does not even go on when you open the lid, which is a major oversight.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by jimn367 View Post
    Buh???

On the very first article posted (Interview with Steve Hawkins)

"I'm not a convert to the Foleo camp yet..."

If that's cheerleading I want to move to a different school...
    I was talking about the most recent review, but also the first article sure seemed like a two page sales pitch consisting of stuff like this:
    "I could have brought out my laptop, but it's awfully big - I was sitting at the bar while I waited and pulling out a 15" Macbook Pro seemed a bit much. Somehow the Foleo had crept into my subconscious and was quietly whispering to me: "I'm exactly what you want right now."

and a small "not yet" disclaimer at the very end - neither article seemed at all balanced to me.
    We both know that when it is 1/8 thick titanium with nerve sensing touch keys and a hollographic screen that has a direct link to the phone and BT radio embedded in your wrist watch or wedding ring- most people own one.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    They include plenty of negative commentary in the media about the Treo.
    yes now that I look at it, they are posting the comments of other reviews which are very different from their own concerning the folio
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Do they usually include TC message board content in their media round-up?
    I am not sure whether they have had hundreds of their members with dissenting opinions before on something like this, but regardless, I do appreciate TC for not stifiling the commentary in the forums.
    big, heavy, and bulky for what it does.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I'm very confused. I can buy a brand new laptop for that price that would certainly do more. Heck, I can buy a refurb with a dual core pro for that price.

If this device was about $300, I could understand what they are trying to do. At the same price it is now, I can buy a laptop that can do everything it does and more.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    But, and I will say it again, why do I need a laptop when all I want to do it email, web browsing, and work with documents and presentations?
    I have absolutely no use for a keyboard, but argueably there is a market for them.

To me this has more value than a keyboard, but the price would need to be $299 for me to bite.
    Because if you are going to carry a laptop bag, you may as well carry a laptop and have all the options associated with it.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    But, and I will say it again, why do I need a laptop when all I want to do it email, web browsing, and work with documents and presentations?
    because the Foleo is weak.

hec, i thought that is what all you Treo lovers loved about your Treos? email, web browsing, working in documents coupled with brick-like portability. now you want something bigger?

weird
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast