Voters
519. You may not vote on this poll
  • Foleo is a good thing

194 37.38%
  • Foleo is a bad thing

325 62.62%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    I can get a Jornada 720 on ebay for 1/3 the price. Slap a wifi card in it and I've got a foleo, but portable.

and..no touchscreen? I haven't heard one way or another..
    THANK YOU! Though I'd prefer the Jornada 820 with the VGA display and full size keyboard. There actually was a vendor who made CF-sized LAN and WiFi cards for it too. I really loved that little thing as an alternative to PC or laptops on the go.

But heavens, why would I want such a beast as an add-on to the Treo? Or was this Palms way of trying to make the Treo look sleeker without having to change it? hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Doesn't every laptop with suspend have instant on?
    Nah... suspend is just a low-power mode. There's still that trickle charge keeping the RAM going. True instant-on means you can go from zero to "hi there... what is your command?" in less than a second. You just can't do that with a laptop... even in suspend mode. All those devices that were cycled down need to wake from their slumber... and hopefully all your network connections come back. blah blah blah

So I get the whole instant on thing and like it. But pretty much every other aspect of this thing -- save from the fact that they got Linux running on the processor... port it to Treo NOW!!! -- is just a dog in need of a flea bath, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    ... I like his answer and I think it is a very revolutionary idea of what laptops should be doing, which is learning from smartphones. If you look at most laptops, they are just slimmer desktops and that's it. However, the Foleo is a true mobile device.
    -The instant on is a great feature and a must-have.
    -The 5 hour battery life is just awesome for such a small device.
    -The size is just perfect for a true mobile experience.
    -The price $499 is really good for this device.

What is device missing?
    -Software and lots of software.
    But this hardly revolutionary... just look at the PC companion devices that came out around the time of Windows CE 1.1 and 2.0... like the HP Jornada 820. It had instant on, 9 hour battery life (and this was in 1998, mind you... since it was solid state), similar size (and sadly similar CPU power), and actually a similar price! hahaha This is revisiting a reasonably old idea, but instead applied as a companion to mobile devices instead of PCs. It didn't fly as a laptop/PC alternative, and I'm not seeing any additional upside for it as a larger, heavier companion to a phone.

This one just needs to die a quiet death or perhaps get refactored in a major way to make a more compelling usability case. What we *can* benefit from is their having made Linux run on the processor. Port it to Treo at once! Post haste!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I think there are some points that you guys aren't seeing that make things interesting.

The Foleo is an instant on, solid state, wi-fi enabled, 2.4 pound, inexpensive laptop. If the web browsing and e-mail work well and 3rd party software ramps up, I can see the Foleo becoming the budget mobile computer for the masses.
    I was expecting to see a lot of comparisons between the WTF?oleo and old CE clamshells... and I haven't been disappointed in that regard. This is really old territory. It failed before because there simply weren't enough people willing to forego the PC experience with a mobile device... and that was at a time when the clamshells were selling for about a third (or less) of what laptops were going for. Now we're being told we can have a similar experience with a device intended to be a companion for a phone but costing as much (retail) as a Treo. huh!? Where's the value proposition??
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    Nah... suspend is just a low-power mode. There's still that trickle charge keeping the RAM going. True instant-on means you can go from zero to "hi there... what is your command?" in less than a second. You just can't do that with a laptop... even in suspend mode. All those devices that were cycled down need to wake from their slumber... and hopefully all your network connections come back. blah blah blah

So I get the whole instant on thing and like it. But pretty much every other aspect of this thing -- save from the fact that they got Linux running on the processor... port it to Treo NOW!!! -- is just a dog in need of a flea bath, IMHO.
    And what fabulous technology has this Linux device got which will free it from those same issues? It will still use a combination of SDRAM and (slow) flash, and to avoid booting up it will have to keep that SDRAM alive, just like suspend in XP. Unless it constantly maintains a connection with the local WLAN (unlikely) it will also take a few seconds to re-establish a network connection.

Swapping apps will also take an appreciable time, unless it can keep ALL the loaded apps in memory at the same time (unlikely).

This is just a small Linux laptop, not technology from outer space. Don't (continue) to swallow the hype.

Edit: I just checked, and my laptop takes all of 2 seconds to come back from Standby to being ready to accept input. This instant on thing is being way over hyped.

Surur
    ...Edit: I just checked, and my laptop takes all of 2 seconds to come back from Standby to being ready to accept input. This instant on thing is being way over hyped.

Surur
    My experience is the same on a Sony SZ430 with Windows Vista Business (2-4 secnds from the new "sleep" mode). It cost me $1300 more than the base price on the Fooly-oh, and weighs 1.7lbs more, but for that I get:

2GHZ Core2Duo
    2gb ram
    13" screen
    DVD-RW
    WiFi
    Cingular EDGE radio built-in
    3 USB ports; VGA out; Firewire 400; PCCard, memorystick, and ExpressCard34 slots

Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Don't forget:
    1) A 13" screen on a laptop that can't be opened on the average airline seat when the person in fron of you reclines
    2) Much shorter battery life
    3) Stuck with dedicated bill for Edge service in addition to cell phone bill
    4) Most companies won't buy Sony's for their employees
    5) Most IT departments will still require cumbersome secure identification and VPN
    6) Sleep mode is not off and you are violating Federal regs when you leave that little lappy in sleep mode on an airplane
    7) The privelage of having the battery trickle drain while in sleep mode
    Quote Originally Posted by jimn367 View Post
    6) Sleep mode is not off and you are violating Federal regs when you leave that little lappy in sleep mode on an airplane
    7) The privelage of having the battery trickle drain while in sleep mode
    Can you stop this nonsense. In no way would the Foleo suspend in any other way different than an XP laptop.

Surur
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Does not the treo (and hence the Foleo) useth Flash RAM???
    Can you stop this nonsense. In no way would the Foleo suspend in any other way different than an XP laptop.

Surur
    Why not? I think you are mistaken
    Does not the treo (and hence the Foleo) useth Flash RAM???
    Starting with the 650, yes -- hence the introduction of NVFS.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Most PCs use Volatile DRAM which must be powered and refreshed thousands of times per second or SRAM which doesn't need to be refreshed, but still loses everything when power is removed. Hence a trickle loss of power.

Since the treo 600(edit:thought it was the 300 originally), Palm uses flash RAM that does not have to have power applied to retain it's memory. Don't we all remember those memory management problems when Palm first switched to Flash???

They ARE Different. Sleep is not equal to off
    Most PCs use Volatile DRAM which must be powered and refreshed thousands of times per second or SRAM which doesn't need to be refreshed, but still loses everything when power is removed. Hence a trickle loss of power.

Since the treo 600(edit:thought it was the 300 originally), Palm uses flash RAM that does not have to have power applied to retain it's memory. Don't we all remember those memory management problems when Palm first switched to Flash???

They ARE Different. Sleep is not equal to off
    Does no-one here know how a computer works? The Treo 700p, 755p has 32 MB DRAM and 128 MB Flash. The DRAM is used to hold the OS, DBcache and dynamic heap.

http://mytreo.net/treofaq/Treo650FileManagement

Ignorance is not bliss. Not knowing that you dont know is one of the worst things that can happen to some-one. Just because Palm hides the technicalities from you is no excuse.

Surur
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Does it keep the DRAM when powered off?

BTW - I'm willing to admit when I am wrong, and I'm way too lazy today to see how much more power an XP laptop with 2G of DRAM trickles versus 64MB and start having some sort of "oh yeah?! it drains .0000001 milliamps more - so there!" childish diatribe
    Does no-one here know how a computer works? The Treo 700p, 755p has 32 MB DRAM and 128 MB Flash. The DRAM is used to hold the OS, DBcache and dynamic heap.

http://mytreo.net/treofaq/Treo650FileManagement

Ignorance is not bliss. Not knowing that you dont know is one of the worst things that can happen to some-one. Just because Palm hides the technicalities from you is no excuse.

Surur

When the foleo turns off and on like a calculator, I really don't care how they do it. I just know that my laptop does not.
    Last edited by sxtg; 06/01/2007 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added quote mostly for "egg" purposes when the foleo is released
    Does it keep the DRAM when powered off?

BTW - I'm willing to admit when I am wrong, and I'm way too lazy today to see how much more power an XP laptop with 2G of DRAM trickles versus 64MB and start having some sort of "oh yeah?! it drains .0000001 milliamps more - so there!" childish diatribe
    Yes, the more DRAM you have to power, the faster it drains the battery. But the difference is not as dramatic as 64 vs 2048. The Foleo is supposed to have 256 MB DRAM (but it probably only has 128)) while the shift has 1024. So the Foleo will have 10 days standby time and the shift 3. Its still more than two days, which should be OK for use over a weekend.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    When the foleo turns off and on like a calculator, I really don't care how they do it. I just know that my laptop does not.
    Maybe because you dont use Standby? Why dont you look at your power management options under Control Panel > Power Options.

Surur
    Maybe because you dont use Standby? Why dont you look at your power management options under Control Panel > Power Options.

Surur
    I use standby several times a day. It still takes some time to come on to a fully functional state.
    Just did it it, took at least 5 seconds to actually standby and another 5 to come on and quite some time to connect to the network. The foleo is supposed to turn on and have instant access to the internet via BT on my treo.
    Interesting that this weeks talking treo 060107 goes on and on about how great the Folio is, but does not specifically mention the opinions of hundreds of its members in this poll (over two to one saying Folio is a bad thing) or even state anyting negative about the Folio consistent with member concerns. To me, this just shows TreoCentral's lack of interest in member opinion and makes them seem more like cheerleaders or extensions of the Palm advertising campaign than an objective source of information.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1225-1.htm
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast