Voters
519. You may not vote on this poll
  • Foleo is a good thing

194 37.38%
  • Foleo is a bad thing

325 62.62%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    This is innovative, useful, connected, and priced right:

This is very innovative, quite useful, well connected, and a little more expensive:

This is just plain, boring, disconnected, and disappointing:

What was he thinking?
    I can't just get over my disappointment. Huge resources are wasted into this piece of junk instead of perfecting the treo lines...Palm needs to get their act together...don't they know that we love the Palm OS but are severely missing critical features that are available on its competitors - wifi, 3G, long battery life as simple examples of what's missing from 680
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTreoUser View Post
    ...So - I want to learn more, but generally I see it as a possible new niche. I do think the next version will be much more robust, and I do wonder if they will eventually offer a foldout screen for use with the Treo....
    Folks. look at what you are shoveling. Most of the supporters (luke warm at best) repeat this mantra of "just wait for the next version, it will knock your socks off." Palm spent TWO YEARS and who knows how much of their human and financial capital to produce this totally underwhelming extension to an extension (remember the Palm mantra that the Palm is an "extension" of your computer).

No wonder HTC, Samsung, Motorola, Nokia, and others are flying past Palm in the converged device space. Palm's been distracted by producing a retro 90's notebook that even the designer admits needs a better processor and more storage. It's rife wth compromises (hell, they threw in the photo viewer as an after-thought in the last few weeks before the unveiling).

I hope the rest of the employees at Palm sold their stock along with Jeff...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTreoUser View Post

I think it could be useful for college students to take notes in classes and then when they get to a wi fi spot they could check e-mails etc.
    Let me get this straight - a cash-strapped college student is going to layout for a desktop or laptop for full usage, then a $500 note-taker AND a smart-phone?
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    I think the problem with Foleo is that Hawkins over hyped it. He made it sound like a revolution when it is just a further development in the process of making mobile computer more useful. If they hadn't hyped it so much and just came out with it as what it is, a companion piece to the Treo, then everyone would have just said "Oh, that's interesting" and decided whether it was useful for them or not.

For me, it could be a great companion. In fact, Jeff Hawkins could have been reading my mind. I love my Treo and the fact that, when I'm out and about, I can get email, access the Internet, and play games. But, I don't use it for serious business. When I'm doing serious business I use my laptop (I don't have a desktop). When I'm on the road (which is a lot since I am a consultant), I take my laptop with me. The problem is that the laptop is big and heavy. I have to lug it through airports and it's too big to use much on a plane. So, I've been thinking about getting a smaller laptop, but don't want to spend that much money when my laptop works fine (if it breaks down I'll get a smaller one). Since about 90% of what I use a computer for when I'm on the road is email, Internet and word processing or Powerpoint, most of the power of my laptop is wasted. I'd use my Treo, but the screen and keyboard are too small for serious work. The Foleo is the perfect solution. Light enough and small enough to be more useful on the road and, tethered to my Treo, able to do most of what I need.

Of course the key is performance. How fast will the Internet connection be when using the Treo for access? How good will the Documents-to-Go be? Will I be able to work on the Word documents with the features I need (which are a small fraction of those in Word) and will I be able to use it to create, edit and give Powerpoint presentation? Can I get and send large attachements in email? Can I download movies to watch on the plane? What kind of games can I play on it? If it can do all that well, then I'll probably get one.

On a related note, I can't see what all of the yelling about Wifi is about. I don't know where people access all of those free Wifi spots. Most of the ones I encounter cost money. Although some hotels have free Wifi, most of the ones I stay in charge for it. I'd much rather use my Treo as a modem. With EvDo and an unlimited data plan, why do you need Wifi?
    I'm really sad to say this but this might be the final nail on the coofin for Palm. There are too many Palm users complaining about updates that are not coming through. This goes especially for the Treo community. I myself had a 750 and sold it of. No support whatsoever from Palm made me decide this. I will probably get a new HTC. HTC is a company that provides updates. Like a WM6 update for all HTC branded PPC's. This is the kind of thing I am looking for in a producer of smartphones and other PDA like devices. Palm has let me down for the last time.

And BTW why are they stil using a Palm OS device only in the demonstrations? WM not yet supported? I do not want to have to use docs to go anymore. I want full functionality of my Smartphone.
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
    I think there is a breath of life in the inexpensive Foleo. But here is what JH isnt talking about: He wants to keep it affordable and above all, light. But the heavy battery required to run video is a design-breaker. Also when he said in the presentation that you could run it all day on a single charge -- for me that statement does not square with stated 5 hours btwn charges. Unless of course your work is 10:00-3:00....
    It reminds me of those stripped down thin-client machines a few years back. I can get a reconditioned notebook, with all the bells and whistles, for that $$. Looks like a flop to me.
  9. KJE
    I'm undecided. While the idea seems OK, I just can't really think of a good use for it yet. Maybe in school...I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Let me get this straight - a cash-strapped college student is going to layout for a desktop or laptop for full usage, then a $500 note-taker AND a smart-phone?
    You're showing your age with that statement.

Who do you think are going to be buying $600 iPhones? People in their 40's or 20's?

If you go to college classes today, yeah...lots carry laptops with them to class. And many have fancy phones, PSPs, PS3, Xboxs, Video iPods, desktops...

As for Kupe pointing to the HTC Athena: Please. Yeah it's neat but are you taking that thing to the movies with you on a Friday night?

That's the problem: there are NO converged devices just devices that approach convergence (and at different levels).

You can't have a mini-laptop and a small, thin cell phone. At least Palm in realzing that and the HTC Athena is not going to be a popular devices amongst consumers, just some niche business types. So putting it up on a pedestal knowing that 99% of the people here would never buy it is a bit rich, imo.

Like I said, I really like this device, think it's a great idea. Just not revolutionary nor deserving of the hype. As far as the arguments about "wasted resources", that is presuming a bit namely that all the Foleo developers would have been working on the shoddy 700p. Seeing as it is a linux device, different form factor and requirements, I don't see how that is the case. This is a 3rd division of Palm now.

The problem with the Foleo is that its usefullness is so obvious as to be uninteresting (granted, it also failed to wow in any massively different technolgoy or form-factor).
    Last edited by Malatesta; 05/31/2007 at 02:46 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    All the laptops the battery sucks. You always has not battery. This is common issue. If Foleo has 5 hours, It's fine for me. The big problem of any laptop is the battery.
    Another problem with laptops is when you need it, you has to wait and wait for power on. Foleo not has this problem.
    The other question is, what software do you use always?. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, contact, calendar,Internet, Email, etc. This is my case. I have a wonderfull laptop (Toshiba Tablet M200), but the battery live is very poor, 2 hours or 2 and half in better case.
    If I want to see a movie, I have my PSP than is a wonderfull machine, for games, music, etc. I never use my laptop for watch Dvds or movies. You can't do that, because you don't have battery when you travel.
    We have to wait for new software for Foleo, but I think palm is a leader in computing mobile. Is simple and do the work. Windows is more complicate for all. Sorry if I make a mistake with my English. Is only my oppinion.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'm 28... and am a visiting lecturer at a university (which isn't my day job) so I have a pretty good idea what students are upto.
    I have a laptop. It's a good one, a Sony Vaio with Wifi and Bluetooth. It must weigh 4-5 lbs. I never take it anywhere without the power cord because I can't trust it to maintain power for all that long. This means I need a laptop bag to carry the laptop and power cord, and of course a few other things get thrown in there like a mouse or an ethernet cable. It is a major commitment for me to take it with me anywhere. The laptop itself is too big to tote around work and into meetings for note taking. When I travel, it is definitely not something I can just thrown in my luggage or carry-on, it is its own piece of luggage. It is too heavy, all by itself to carry around work easily for meetings and quick access.

I've been thinking lately that I want an ultra-portable laptop. Sony has the TX series and there are some Fujitsu Lifebooks that are pretty sweet, but these are all in the range of $2200-2300. Throw in a solid state drive and you are up to $3500. (I like the SSD drive to reduce power, improve performance, and decrease the fragility factor of the laptop.) Toting around a $3500 laptop seemed like my best option, but I have been thinking for several months now that all I really want is email, web, and office apps and the reason that the laptops are so expensive is the Microsoft Bloat. I don't need the ROM drive, I don't want the hard drive, I don't need all of the legacy connectors, just USB and Video out for doing Powerpoint presentations. Something stripped down, with flash on the motherboard could be really light and way less power (longer battery life). This would be perfect for me, a reduced cost, ultra-portable laptop, that gives me my main applications and that I can tote around all day without a power cord. Instant on, would make it more useful for note taking in meetings. I have been tracking UMPC development and that industry is heading towards new form factors that I am just not interested in. Tablets don't seem to me like they are for real work.

I have a Treo. I love it. I take it everywhere. I use it for phone, PIM apps, and reading email. I rarely use it for writing email. Sure it is great in a pinch, but not for any serious writing. I seldom use it as a web browser. Again, sure it is great in a pinch, but c'mon the screen is just too small for a reasonable browsing experience.

Then voila, Jeff Hawkins delivers. This is absolutely perfect for my needs. I am one of those executive types that are his target market, but I do not think I am that unique in my needs. I am much more comfortable toting around a 2 lb, $500 object than a $2200 to $3500 Fujitsu lifebook. I don't see my laptop usage necessarily changing. I will still lug it around when I need its full capability, but most of the time I can settle for my Foleo. Great for meetings, coffee shops, and throwing in my bag when I am going to be away from home for work or pleasure.

If nothing else, I applaud the fact that it is a Linux laptop and hope it is a nail in the coffin of Microsoft's absolute control over the PC market. Their monopoly, combined with their lack of vision has seriously stunted what could be possible in personal computing.

And lastly, if the market for third party application devleopment takes off, it might be possible for this product line (in conjunction with Treos or otherwise) to complete replace my laptop. Just not this incarnation with its weak processor.

My 2 cents.
    I put my main post over on the other thread, but I'm with jc924, Malatesta and Guinessdraught. With a Business Connection interface to get my office email, this would hit a sweet spot for me: MUCH cheaper than the laptop near equivalents, MUCH lighter than my company laptop and much more like a laptop experience for web, email and MS Office functions than the Treo itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught
    Then voila, Jeff Hawkins delivers. This is absolutely perfect for my needs. I am one of those executive types that are his target market, but I do not think I am that unique in my needs. I am much more comfortable toting around a 2 lb, $500 object than a $2200 to $3500 Fujitsu lifebook. I don't see my laptop usage necessarily changing. I will still lug it around when I need its full capability, but most of the time I can settle for my Foleo. Great for meetings, coffee shops, and throwing in my bag when I am going to be away from home for work or pleasure.

If nothing else, I applaud the fact that it is a Linux laptop and hope it is a nail in the coffin of Microsoft's absolute control over the PC market. Their monopoly, combined with their lack of vision has seriously stunted what could be possible in personal computing.

And lastly, if the market for third party application devleopment takes off, it might be possible for this product line (in conjunction with Treos or otherwise) to complete replace my laptop. Just not this incarnation with its weak processor.

My 2 cents.
    Yup... I agree. It's a start. I like that they're finally showing real results with Linux, and that new interface definitely looks pretty snazzy *and* snappy.

Also, what do you guys expect for a $400 introductory price? I at least expect some speakers, that's for sure. I'd also prefer a bigger screen; I've learned that 12"~13" is the perfect size screen for a portable laptop-wannabe. But, I paid $2,000 for a Sony TR1A four years ago, 3lbs & 5+hr battery life....I'd be willing to pay $500 for a device like this if it was slightly more performance oriented -- more memory, optical device, & speakers. $500 would be a STEAL!

Anyway, it's a start, like I said...whatever brings me my true Linux smartphone is fine by me. And maybe I'll pick up rev 3 of this Foleo.
    Oh yea...so, it's a good idea that they're doing all this, advancing Linux development, etc. But overall I think it's a bad idea, because I don't think too many people are going to be picking up versions one and two of this piece.

It won't sell, the problem is that they skr00d up twice: they came out with this too early, and for some st00pit reason...they're still being shy with memory!!!

Sorry Palm, I believe you have been wasting your resources!!
    The big benefit if I was considering one would be the constant sync with my Treo.

I would like knowing that any info typed on either device would be available on either one, without requiring a hotsync. I currently don't enter appts on the laptop because I don't want to have to sync to have them on the Treo.

It would be nice to enter appts while on the road get out grab the treo and all the info is with me.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

Who do you think are going to be buying $600 iPhones? People in their 40's or 20's?

If you go to college classes today, yeah...lots carry laptops with them to class. And many have fancy phones, PSPs, PS3, Xboxs, Video iPods, desktops...

As for Kupe pointing to the HTC Athena: Please. Yeah it's neat but are you taking that thing to the movies with you on a Friday night?

That's the problem: there are NO converged devices just devices that approach convergence (and at different levels).

You can't have a mini-laptop and a small, thin cell phone. At least Palm in realzing that and the HTC Athena is not going to be a popular devices amongst consumers, just some niche business types. So putting it up on a pedestal knowing that 99% of the people here would never buy it is a bit rich, imo.

Like I said, I really like this device, think it's a great idea. Just not revolutionary nor deserving of the hype. As far as the arguments about "wasted resources", that is presuming a bit namely that all the Foleo developers would have been working on the shoddy 700p. Seeing as it is a linux device, different form factor and requirements, I don't see how that is the case. This is a 3rd division of Palm now.

The problem with the Foleo is that its usefullness is so obvious as to be uninteresting (granted, it also failed to wow in any massively different technolgoy or form-factor).
    yeah, but you cant take the foleo to the movie theater either.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    OK...

Where are the speakers?

Where is the ctrl key?

I'd like to see this device sell without those two features.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast