519. You may not vote on this poll
  • Foleo is a good thing

194 37.38%
  • Foleo is a bad thing

325 62.62%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Wow, first there was the mysterious new product that MS announced at midnight that was pretty much worthless to us end users, now Palm has given us a double whammy with THEIR worthless, boring product....

I was really looking forward to something that would work WELL....not a devolutionary step for laptops.

Oh well, I guess it is too much to hope for a Treo that uses the Palm OS and supports HSPDA....

This was certainly a waste of time!

ATTENTION PALM: WHT NOT ASK US WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE? REMEMBER US? TEH PEOPLE WHO BUY YOUR PRODUCT??????
    Last edited by tommc4; 05/30/2007 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added a comment I forgot
    There have been times when I am traveling that I'd like something between a lap top and my treo- but why have the foleo depend on a smart phone for connectivity?

I mean, if the thing had built in connectivity to the wireless carriers, I would use it instead of a smart phone, and then get a real cell phone, especially since at times, the Treo is such a bad phone.

When I'm travelling, I don't answer email unless I have a moment- so I could whip this thing out instead of a treo.

This might have seemed like a good idea at the time, but I see Flop written all over this.
    Honestly, the more I think about this device, the more I like it. The price point ought to be a bit lower, but I'm sure that will happen over the next few months. That said, this is definitely a device for the mobile professional crowd, for whom weight, form factor and ease of use is of much greater import than raw computing power. Of course, those who want a super computer the size of a cellphone will be disappointed, but I really don't think anything would have made that crowd happy. Still, if I look at what I, and most everyone I know, actually does on a computer, 95%, or more, of our time is spent on email, web surfing, or in an office application. Moreover, those harping about inexpensive laptops have not tried to be truly mobile with something other than an ultraportable, for which you will pay a very pretty penny. Something that is durable enough to actually travel with you, small enough to not look silly at a conference table and usable at a Panera table and has battery life sufficient to not require taking a cord with you is something I could see interesting a number of my peers.

Gargoyle
    I think that the market for a not-quite-a-laptop, occasional use Treo-on-steroids is bigger then a lot of you realize. Im a mobile professional, but I really dont want or need a laptop, just access to email and minimal document reading while Im out of the office. If I can get a decent VPN connection with this thing, I could actually see buying one.

Im going to withhold judgement until I see all the specs, and I think that 'revolutionary' is an exaggeration (but thats true of most things that get that label), but I dont think this is a bad addition to Palms product line.
    ^
    |
    |
    Palm Employee?

Quote Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
    Moreover, those harping about inexpensive laptops have not tried to be truly mobile with something other than an ultraportable, for which you will pay a very pretty penny.
    Yes I have, and no I didn't. My budget laptop and Treo tethered to it do just fine for me, thank you. And yes it was budget ($799 1 1/2 years ago, and prices have come down considerably since then), and no it's not huge and heavy (3.5 lbs).
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mc2714 View Post
    If I can get a decent VPN connection with this thing...
    Yes, I had that thought too. A lot of us here are IT types, who tend to need a proper laptop. Many other business travellers could use something that access the company systems, and IT departments would be happier knowing that they had a thin device to do it, rather than a laptop (with all the inherent security concerns). But Foleo would need to support Citrix etc, and probably be cheaper too, at least in bulk.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Zzzzzzzzzz...
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Not gonna vote because there's no provision for "Not Sure".

I will say that it appears to only be a device that allows
    a)Linux compatibility
    b)WiFi - which we ALL know SHOULD be available on the Treo
    c)A larger screen and keyboard.

That is obviously a bit of an over simplicfication, but really, that appears to be the jist of it. Add Opera, WiFi, and Linux to the Treo, and don't you have a smaller, single box version of the same thing? Is it a small, hamstrung (having to be tethered to the phone), Linux laptop? The price is compelling, but I'm not sold that I "need" it - or who might...

I think I must be missing something...
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    Thing is, if this is based on an ARM processor and not an x86, 99% of all existing Linux software will not work on it out of box, meaning the advantages of using Linux disappear (the wealth of 3rd party apps for deskop/laptop PC's). Everything (Openoffice, Firefox, etc) will have to be ported and compiled in order to function on this.

Granted that'll have to happen eventually for ALP or Palm's own Linux Treo's (if they ever happen). But there's so small of a market for this (read: none) that nothing will get ported.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    While I don't think this will be a success, I think had it been available when I bought my N800, I might have sprung for this.

The interesting thing will be if we see the cell carriers allowing the use of your phone as an access point without charging you through the nose for it.
    Jeff said they weren't thinking about video... I hope they fully address the issue before the first release. For all those people who have loaded video onto their Treos or want to receive a prime browsing experience, vid must be addressed. There's is a real chance to build a product to meet the market. Don't waste time -- put a robust and right product in the right window.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    You've got to be joking. More expensive than a full blown laptop is really good? Just what kind of alternate reality do you live in?
    Why do you keep posting the link to the 5.3 lb laptop? I'm sure you understand that shaving a few ounces off a smartphone is very valuable to many people, but it seems you can't understand that reducing a laptop by 3 lbs is even more valuable.

2 lb laptops with full keyboards typically cost over $2000. It doesn't take a Palm employee to realize that this product will have appeal to certain people.
    Insufficient product data to process available poll choices.

Appears the pie crust is baked and we're missing the filling.

Too bulky for my needs but I am not representative of the mass market or the enterprise market.
    I like the idea a lot and will probably get one as I need something like that and yet don't need a full laptop. I just need what it does (though the promise of more software will also help). I think seeing it in action will be a benefit (my Laptop has an instant-on feature, but Windows still takes about 20 seconds to fully re-load, so it's not really that instant).

I currently use an Asus M5n 12" that weights bout 3lbs with a 10,000 rpm harddrive. Nice? Yeah. It's also hot and noisy and only gets like 2 hours of battery life.

Having said that, I don't understand the secrecy and hype surrounding it's announcement. This could have been just released as unceremoniously as the Palm GPS Car Kit and that'd would have been fine, but honestly this is just a user-specific accessory. Some of us can envision using it often (myself) others have no need (they like the laptop/Treo combo).

Not sure about how it will affect Palm but it doesn't seem like the blow away device we were looking for.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I am so disappointed. This means that resources that could have been spent on thinner, better Treos, have been wasted on this stupid thing. We have $$$ behind people wanting better Treos, who the hell will want this? This really pisses me off.
    Can you say "Sega 32x"?

Can you say "poorly thought out and desperate attempt to grab market share by splintering the market"?

I thought you could.

The buzzword for a long time has been 'convergence,' but the Folei goes in the exact opposite direction...

Being the owner of a slate-style Tablet PC and having to lug around an extra wireless keyboard at times makes me REALLY regret not getting a convertible style Tablet PC. The goal should be REDUCING the items we have to carry (hence the freaking Treo in the first place!), not INCREASING THEM.

Just plain stupid IMHO.

Is there a market for it? Sure there is. But that market is so small the Foleo is going to fail in the marketplace.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ...I don't understand the secrecy and hype surrounding it's announcement. This could have been just released as unceremoniously as the Palm GPS Car Kit and that'd would have been fine, but honestly this is just a user-specific accessory. Some of us can envision using it often (myself) others have no need (they like the laptop/Treo combo).
    I think this is the crux of the issue. This is NOT a revolutionary device. It's just a different take on a product that's been around forever. Jobs could at least point to a really sexy interface and a cool form factor to claim revolution. This (albeit "svelt 2 lb") boat anchor is the same form factor, weight, and basic design as most WindowsCE clamshells from 7 or 8 years ago!

To hype this into something that's going to change the face of mobile computing simply makes Palm appear even MORE irrelevant and naive to the future of the industry.
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I am so disappointed. This means that resources that could have been spent on thinner, better Treos, have been wasted on this stupid thing. We have $$$ behind people wanting better Treos, who the hell will want this? This really pisses me off.
    I have to agree 100 percent! All that wait for a "Mystery Device" that was going to change the world. Give me a Treo that works as advertised and I would pay a higher dollar. PALM HAS STILL NOT GIVEN US OUR UPDATE, (released the update, a ROM update for the Treo 680) I do not understand the reasoning at Palm, I am more than disappointed. I looked at the device and I thought nice but my new laptop does very well. Here my post on the Palm blog that has not been posted yet!

I was expecting much more from you PALM! I just bought a laptop and I do not see the real benefit from this Foleo unit. I wish the innovation would have gone into making our Treo's more powerful; including hardware and software! What we want to hear from Palm is that you are going to give us the following!

1. BT 2.0 with True AD2P
    Clicking on our BT device and saying call Ed,
    2. GSM with CDMA
    3. Internal GPS
    4. The Linux kernel with no LAG!
    (the lag is still present on the 755p)
    5. Maybe a slimmer device (not much)
    6. Larger SD card support, my new Lenovo laptop has support for the 8 gig card.

I wish the blog would give us more information on our day to day use of our current Treo's(to help us work out our issues)! On the 755p the BT would not work on my new Camry but the 700p did work.

Please Please Palm support your users!

Concentrate on you winning products the Treo's and the Handhelds!

The Iphone is in the wings. Some people are going to leave Palm. I do not want to leave. Please release some information on our next Treo even though it will hurt your sales of the the 755.
    I cannot believe how disappointed I am. I really thought I was going to eat this up, I watched the webcast live (as uch as possible, I was working), and couldn't wait to see what all the hype was about.

I am VERY interested in seeing how the ALP performs. It promised to be backwards compatible with Palm OS, so we'll see if a 320*320 app can be displayed on the thing. I'm also interested in the OS'es multitasking stability.

Remember this is supposed ot be an ADD-ON to the phone. MP3 playback, etc should be done from the phone anyway, IMO, since I can't picture myself walking around with that thing open just to listen to some tunes...

I may try it out, I would love to know if the Internet connection is as instant as the INSTANT ON Palm is bragging about. If I want to open it real quick to check a web page/mail, will I have to wait for the thing to re-establish a connection with my phone? etc etc.

I can't judge this thing until seeing it, much like the iphone hype. But for now, I am very disappointed. Perhaps our hopes are too high right now, perhaps technology is improving too fast right now. Either way, the only technological advancement here is the OS. And its not even theirs...
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Why do you keep posting the link to the 5.3 lb laptop? I'm sure you understand that shaving a few ounces off a smartphone is very valuable to many people, but it seems you can't understand that reducing a laptop by 3 lbs is even more valuable.

2 lb laptops with full keyboards typically cost over $2000. It doesn't take a Palm employee to realize that this product will have appeal to certain people.
    Because once you get over pocket size small differences in weight become more and more irrelevant. If it's large enough to require it's own bag to carry it in, it becomes harder and harder to notice the difference between 3.5 and 5 lbs. If laptops were still generally 8-10 lbs, this would be a big deal, but they're not.

10" and 2.5 lbs is still too large to be truly portable, which in my mind puts it in exactly the same category as that 5 lbs notebook that has 500x the functionality and a price tag $200 less.

My point in posting that link is that this device has absolutely no bang for the buck in the current market, whether it's based on functionality, size, or whatever you're going to use it for. It might be great for someone who doesn't need all the extra functionality of a notebook if it cost less than one, but at it's current price point it just doesn't make sense.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast