View Poll Results: Foleo - good or bad?

Voters
519. You may not vote on this poll
  • Foleo is a good thing

194 37.38%
  • Foleo is a bad thing

325 62.62%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    wonder if it needs Sprint's PAM for the internet connectivity to the Foleo?
    When I first saw it I though cool. But then I realized what the heck would I need that for. I have a 13" macbook that weighs only slightly more (fits in my purse in a crunch) and does WAY more than the Foleo. I can check email, access web, and sync wirelessly to my Treo with the push of a button. Not to mention the fact that I can run all of other apps on the road as well.

As far as "instant on" when I commute with my laptop I keep it on. It goes to sleep with the lid closed, and instantly comes awake when I open it. I can keep it on all day (closing the lid when not using it) and it doesn't need a battery charge until night fall.

Has built in WiFi, of course, and when I'm not near a WiFi spot I can connect using my Treo 755p on the EVDO network, which is way fast around here, via bluetooth in a matter of seconds. Matter of fact, that's how I'm connected right now.

So, hmm, I'll pass on the Foleo... Try again guys, and make it something more exciting next time.
    I was the one who asked this question: "The Foleo looks like a small laptop to me. Why would I buy a Foleo instead of a laptop" and see that Hawkins kind of shake a little at this question. I like his answer and I think it is a very revolutionary idea of what laptops should be doing, which is learning from smartphones. If you look at most laptops, they are just slimmer desktops and that's it. However, the Foleo is a true mobile device.
    -The instant on is a great feature and a must-have.
    -The 5 hour battery life is just awesome for such a small device.
    -The size is just perfect for a true mobile experience.
    -The price $499 is really good for this device.

What is device missing?
    -Software and lots of software.

That I would say is the only thing that the Foleo is missing. It is a new device so I expect to see great software soon.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    One issue with suspend mode on laptops is that the laptop actually is still running but at a very low-power level, which means it consumes battery and possbily drains all the juice before you know it. This is the reason I don't use suspend but hibernate instead. BTW, I assume Foleo's 'instant on' feature means that when it's off, it doesn't consume any power.
    Unless the OS boots instantly, its probably also still running at a very low power level, to keep the contents of RAM alive, just like a laptop in suspend.

Surur
    This is a 1st gen model and like all 1st gen, it usually sucks... bad thing though, this thing won't last long enough to make it to 2nd gen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post

Al
    Do you work for Palm? Let's see here:

-The instant on is a great feature and a must-have.
    See the post right above you. Laptops can do it.
    -The 5 hour battery life is just awesome for such a small device.
    Um...again see above post. Plenty of laptops can boast similar battery life.
    -The size is just perfect for a true mobile experience.
    Perfect for who? Andre the Giant? Who has pockets big enough for this thing? By the time you're getting to this kind of size you might as well get a laptop.
    -The price $499 is really good for this device.
    You've got to be joking. More expensive than a full blown laptop is really good? Just what kind of alternate reality do you live in?
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    It is sad to witness the death of a venerable tech company, but it happened to Wordperfect, Osborne, Datapro, Borland, Ashton-Tate, and many others. The double-whammy is watching a guy with reputation of Jeff Hawkins dropping hints for 6 months about the reinvention of the industry with a new product category for Palm, only to see that it was bird droppings they were delivering.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I said it's good thing though it's not for everyone. Given some time I think there'll be some good applications written for it. I can see where it could be very handy in certain circumstances. For instance, while flying, riding in the car, while watching TV, as a GPS (given that software is written to allow it), etc... I know that there are already devices that can do this but I think the 10" screen will be attractive especially to peeps whose eyesight is going (the over 40 crowd) not to mention those of us who struggle with the small keyboard. However I do think the price tag is a couple of hundred bucks higher than it should be. On the other hand the peeps who I think will want it are more likely to have the income to afford it. Given time I think this could be a pretty cool device.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    ...You've got to be joking. More expensive than a full blown laptop is really good? Just what kind of alternate reality do you live in?
    Just look a little further down the page for what you get for the same $499:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1177112709424

Of course you have to live with 5.3 lbs, but I guess I could live with 80gb of storage over 128mb in the Fooly-oh.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I think the Foleo announcement was very strategically timed for May 30, just before the announcement of the availability of the iPhone. I have no insight other than the original announcement about June availability for the iPhone.

It looks to me like Foleo has some real possibilities with more software. I am guessing the original announce date was supposed to be later in the year when more software and functionality would be available, but that was moved up to possibly forestall a segment of users from adopting the iPhone.
    foleNO!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    What is device missing?
    -Software and lots of software.

That I would say is the only thing that the Foleo is missing. It is a new device so I expect to see great software soon.
    It might be a bit overly optimistic that we'll see great software soon for the Foleo platform. First off, nobody (that we know of) except Palm is working on the software that runs on Foleo. Understanding that it's Linux-based, I'm sure special API's (or alike) are needed to make the apps run and display appropriately on the Foleo's screen.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    you need a category... "It's OK".... I dont find myself lusting after it like my Nokia 800.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    It looks to me like Foleo has some real possibilities with more software.
    Like what? What could this thing possibly do that a similarly priced notebook couldn't?
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Please don't tell me this Fooleo thing is the reason why the 700p Firmware Update is taking super long to come out.
    Not touchscreen is just too far departure from the Palm root.

Again, my Nokia n800 and me laugh at Foleo's general dicrection.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Slap a phone on this and i am sold.....

From surfing the Internet to running Microsoft Office, the OQO model 02 delivers the performance you need for a truly mobile lifestyle. Inside, the model 02 features a 1.2GHz or a 1.5GHz VIA C7M ULV processor and integrated graphics chipset together with OQO's patented subprocessor technology on a palm-sized motherboard designed for optimal performance per watt operation. With hard drive storage capacities of up to 60GB, you can store all your office and personal files on the model 02. The model 02 is available with 1GB of DDR2 SDRAM operating at 533MHz for quick system responsiveness. In all configurations, the model 02 is capable of supporting Microsoft's Windows Vista™ operating system.

OQO has engineered 9 antennas into the magnesium alloy chassis of the model 02 to accommodate wireless technologies: EV-DO WWAN, WiFi, and Bluetooth. With EV-DO WWAN, enjoy wireless high speed data services and network coverage of over 188 million people. Standard on all model 02 configurations is tri-mode WiFi (802.11a/b/g) with diversity antenna selection for improved performance. For personal area network connectivity, the model 02 can be paired with other devices such as keyboard, mouse, headset, and stereo headphones via Bluetooth.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    I think the Foleo announcement was very strategically timed for May 30, just before the announcement of the availability of the iPhone. I have no insight other than the original announcement about June availability for the iPhone.

It looks to me like Foleo has some real possibilities with more software. I am guessing the original announce date was supposed to be later in the year when more software and functionality would be available, but that was moved up to possibly forestall a segment of users from adopting the iPhone.
    That would explain a lot. But the SW still can't approach a real laptop.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    stuck.

...but didn't Hawkins say they plan to support other smartphones, including mentioning the iPhone by name? How does the announcement of a compatible (or future compatible) device keep folks from buying the iPhone? (Regardless of whether any self-respecting iPhone user would lug this ugly thing around...)

Seems to me it would have been smarter market-wise to keep teasing this thing as long as they could without releasing details, perhaps delaying some June, July, maybe even August iPhone sales. Now that we've seen "behind the curtain", there isn't anything here that steers me away from iPhone. In fact, quite the opposite.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast