Voters
519. You may not vote on this poll
  • Foleo is a good thing

194 37.38%
  • Foleo is a bad thing

325 62.62%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213
    Quote Originally Posted by derloos View Post
    As far as I know, good thing. Let me explain.

I'm really fed up with the need to take my 5.5lb Toshiba L25 in my backpack just to drop a few lines and send some photos from the conference. I think Foleo precisely fits a journalist's needs, at least for the vast majority of them. Yes, you wealthy guys can go and buy Sony Vaio TX series for the price of five Foleos. I'm not gonna.

What I'm trying to express is actually a good old KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid. Mac mini inside, Palm Foleo+Treo 680 (our only local CDMA operator can't provide 755p) for outside. They just do the job, guys.
    My feelings exactly - I'm fed up of lugging my 5lb MacBook into work just to make a presentation (our dept spends all its money on high-end servers and won't buy us laptops) or to do personal stuff in my lunch break. Sub-notebooks and UMPCs are still too expensive - plus I don't like Windows and past experience has made me wary of trying to install Linux on a cutting-edge device with funky hardware.

The Foleo does what I need when I'm out and about, at an acceptable price and build quality. 'Nuff said!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfox1477 View Post
    ...at an acceptable price and build quality.
    I don't think Palm have announced pricing outside the US, so it remains to be seen how acceptable the price is when it eventually comes over here

You also mention build quality, have you had a play with one then?
  3. vrf
    The people at the hands-on previews seem to think it's pretty well-built. Solid, with a nice-feeling keyboard. So there's some hope there.

The same reviews have said the Asus Eee PC is pretty cheaply built. I guess you get what you pay for.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    In my opinion, the Foleo is a really good idea but I can see it having/causing some problems. First, It's stink'n expensive! I know always on and thin is nice but it's not worth $500. I rather get a small laptop - does more... Second, I can see Palm dumping or crippling the keyboard on the Treo phone to boost Foleo sales (just look at the reviews for the Centro). They'll use the excuse of being able to have a larger screen and making it thinner but in reality, it's all marketing. It's all about the almighty dollar (few customers buy thick $300 Treo vs. more Customers buying a thinner $300 Treo and possibly a $500 glorified keyboard - think about it!).
    I have said this before, and i would like to put it out there again, what is going to happen with the internet charges?? Are we going to be able to piggyback this thing right off the internet we currently have with our treo's or do we need to come buy the pam package??

That would be a deal breaker for a lot of us (especially with usb modem )
    Quote Originally Posted by princealyy View Post
    I have said this before, and i would like to put it out there again, what is going to happen with the internet charges?? Are we going to be able to piggyback this thing right off the internet we currently have with our treo's or do we need to come buy the pam package??

That would be a deal breaker for a lot of us (especially with usb modem )
    In the absence of knowing your carrier and plan, it is not possible to suggest an answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    In the absence of knowing your carrier and plan, it is not possible to suggest an answer.
    Well I have sprint, but most carriers charge additional for PAM (phone as modem)So not so sure.
    Well I have sprint, but most carriers charge additional for PAM (phone as modem)So not so sure.
    Unlike with Apple, I think that this is pretty much between the consumer and the carrier, not Palm.

I have had unlimited data on T-Mobile, Cingular, and Sprint and have used ti to connect my laptop to the Internet using my Treo and PDANet.

I am currently an AT&T customer for my Treo, pay $40- for unlimited data and can use it to connect my laptop. I am an AT&T customer for my iPhone and pay $20- for unlimited data on EDGE but cannot use it to connect my laptop.

Because I spend 3 months a year in a rental property where I cannot get wired Internet (except dial-up), I am a Sprint EVDO Rev A customer for my laptop. I pay $60- for that.

I am not particularly price sensitive, prefer un-metered plans, but believe that carriers should charge based upon the load that the puts on the network. When the band nears saturation, performance will drop exponentially. The only way to improve the performance is to add cells. Someone must pay for those cells and they are entitiled to a return on their investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Unlike with Apple, I think that this is pretty much between the consumer and the carrier, not Palm.

I have had unlimited data on T-Mobile, Cingular, and Sprint and have used ti to connect my laptop to the Internet using my Treo and PDANet.

I am currently an AT&T customer for my Treo, pay $40- for unlimited data and can use it to connect my laptop. I am an AT&T customer for my iPhone and pay $20- for unlimited data on EDGE but cannot use it to connect my laptop.

Because I spend 3 months a year in a rental property where I cannot get wired Internet (except dial-up), I am a Sprint EVDO Rev A customer for my laptop. I pay $60- for that.

I am not particularly price sensitive, prefer un-metered plans, but believe that carriers should charge based upon the load that the puts on the network. When the band nears saturation, performance will drop exponentially. The only way to improve the performance is to add cells. Someone must pay for those cells and they are entitiled to a return on their investment.
    I fully agree they should be paid if we use too much network, however I would still consider it a factor to consider when purchasing the foleo. Some people may not be will to buy the foleo and then find out that the internet is an additional 30/ month.

So once again, if the internet connection cost extra for a companion unit??

Something to think about ...
    I fully agree they should be paid if we use too much network, however I would still consider it a factor to consider when purchasing the foleo. Some people may not be will to buy the foleo and then find out that the internet is an additional 30/ month.

So once again, if the internet connection cost extra for a companion unit??

Something to think about ...
    Well, iPhone costs $20/month for EDGE and it is not even optional. It will not even work on Wi-Fi until one commits to the $20/mo., whether one plans to use it or not.
    You can use your existing unlimited PDA internet package with the Foleo. This includes $20 Media Max on AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    You can use your existing unlimited PDA internet package with the Foleo. This includes $20 Media Max on AT&T.

Ummmm... no you can't. At least not without going against most carriers' Terms of Service re: restrictions on tethering. You'll need to pay for a special "laptop" data plan to honestly use data services on this not-a-laptop.
    Excellent advice, The_Chupacabra.
    Basically it's no different than taking a laptop online if you use the bluetooth internet connection.

However, since the email syncs via the Palm. If you only ever used the WiFi internet connection, you still get email without breaking the T&C.

Foleo doesn't use standard bluetooth DUN or PAN. It uses a proprietary application that you put on your PDA. I don't know if I'm allowed to be more specific so I won't.

As with what The_Chupacabra says, although you'll be able to do internet access on any data plan, it is against the usage terms and conditions unless you have a 'laptop' or 'tethering' plan. So it's up to you the individual user to make that choice.

Having said that I can confirm that on AT&T they don't enforce those T&C.... yet. AT&T's enforcement, if they ever do, would come in the form of a letter informing you that you're no longer allowed to have that data plan because you used it improperly.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    I think it's a great idea, Jeff is a visionary!
    Foolio me once, shame on you...
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213