View Poll Results: Foleo - good or bad?

Voters
519. You may not vote on this poll
  • Foleo is a good thing

    194 37.38%
  • Foleo is a bad thing

    325 62.62%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 254
  1. #181  
    No "it's OK" option? I can't say it's all good, but it's not all bad either.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2. #182  
    I think it could be useful, I support a number of business mobile users, and for them being able to have a very compact fold out that is the same as working from their smartphone, rather than having to take a laptop could be a benefit. I could see this being more useful for people who not so technically adept executive users. Would also be nice for taking notes, typing and sending docs where you dont need a full laptop just a terminal.
    Sounds like people have strong views on this, which I dont, but I think there could be people out there to buy a few of 'em up that would keep it from being dropped right after launch...
    RIM 957 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Treo 750 / GMM
  3. #183  
    Yes...this is a cheap, inferior product for a wealthy, intelligent businessman.

    Riiiiiiiiggghht!
  4. #184  
    As in the I-pod post, the proof of the pudding will be in the experience, not the specs list. I carry a 12 pound notebook including charging brick and accessories. An ultralight just doesn't suit my needs (1920 x 1200 screen, hi end desktop equivalent performance) and I can't be productive on it. I carry a Treo with me on short trips because it lets me do what I **need** to get done or what I can't put off till I get back. If I am staying longer, I need the 12 pounder as I am not gonna type anything more than 25 words on a thumb board.

    So where do I go from here ? A cacophony of Treo accessories ? A Foleo ? A 2nd laptop ?

    As with the i-Pod, what makes a Treo a Treo is not the specs, it's the experience. The Treo is what it is because of its simplicity...the ability to do what it does with minimal hardware requirements.....the ability to do in 2 clicks what takes 3 or 4 on other devices. *If* Palm produces the experience, the hardware comparison will be insignificant, if it doesn't, then it simply will not stand out.

    Comparisons with things it's not is hardly useful. It's not a 6 pound laptop; it's not a windows device with a 7" screen. If ya gonna compare it with other things, the apples and oranges thing is not useful. The suspend argument seems a bit weak. let's see, ya get to the airport, waiting for flight, you boot ya laptop....then:

    1. ya close it and get on plane
    2. ya use on plane
    3. ya close it and get off plane
    4. Ya fire up again in airport waiting for connecting flight
    5. Ya close again
    6. Ya open again on plane
    7. Ya close again
    8. Ya open again in cab

    Now each time ya closed that laptop are you walking around with the puter in suspend ? I don't think so. There's also the "wait 30 second rule" after putting a laptop in suspend before moving it. So that's another significant issue every time you get outta a cab, you gonna wait 30 secs ? In addition, laptops no like shock or movement. Hitachi's shock proof technology aside, using a laptop as a passenger in car that hit a pothole, on the Long island Rail Road or just dropped can result in issues this device will be immune to. My B-I-L has a couple of Vaios with HD's that have bum spots on them from such occurrences. And these are aside from the one whose batteries died after 4 months and Sony refused to provide replacement.

    Getting back to my questions, no a 2nd ultralight laptop is not an option. The IT overhead of managing a spare windows based device for me and each employee is outta the question. We spend too much time per head on each windows box we have now. Reminding peeps "have you patched your OS today" ... "have you run your AV and malware programs today" on a 2nd box is not something I wanna do. And for a machine that will get used a few times a month, it can't be justified. Do I leave it plugged in 30 days a month or just try and remember to charge it before my trip ?

    So what's left ? A treo, a remote 10" screen and a KB and whatever else I might need....hmmm maybe but what are these to be powered off of ? My 650 has had two OS updates in almost 3 years, I charge it once a week. the success of the Treo and this new device will depend not so much on what it does as what it doesn't make me do. I want devices I don't have to think about, that don't require weekly maintenance, that don't require management. That again is the success of the I-Pod....it doesn't make you do much to use it. The competition makes you jump thru much more hurdles. the Asus thing is something I have been following for a while but what Windows is going in it ? What room is left after you do ? What Linux will go on it ? What is left after you do ? How much of my time will it take for me to get it to work ? How much of my time will it take for me to keep ot working efficiently ?

    If Palm can provide the same "it doesn't make you do much and everything you do do is easy" experience with it's new toy as it did with it's Treos and as Apple did with the i-Pod, it's got a pretty good shot at success, (though I think the price has gotta drop down a bit). If it's the same as a laptop, it's got nothing to make it stand out and will be forgotten about.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 06/18/2007 at 03:28 PM.
  5. #185  
    You can't use a Foleo on a plane. It depends on a wireless connection to a Treo. Can you use it without connecting to a treo?
    Wireless bluetooth is not allowed on a plane.

    I just use "hybernate" on my laptops. 20 seconds up and down,
    It's a 15 seconds to power up, and about 5 seconds to fully settle. Close enough to instant on as I need. Also using something without a HDD like the EEEPC means no waiting for a drive to spin down and no problem walking around with it fully powered up.
    And I can use it on a plane.
    I don't know about a cab, though. I suppose you don't even need to shut it off getting out of cab.
  6. #186  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post
    As in the I-pod post, the proof of the pudding will be in the experience, not the specs list. I carry a 12 pound notebook including charging brick and accessories. An ultralight just doesn't suit my needs (1920 x 1200 screen, hi end desktop equivalent performance) and I can't be productive on it. I carry a Treo with me on short trips because it lets me do what I **need** to get done or what I can't put off till I get back. If I am staying longer, I need the 12 pounder as I am not gonna type anything more than 25 words on a thumb board.

    So where do I go from here ? A cacophony of Treo accessories ? A Foleo ? A 2nd laptop ?

    As with the i-Pod, what makes a Treo a Treo is not the specs, it's the experience. The Treo is what it is because of its simplicity...the ability to do what it does with minimal hardware requirements.....the ability to do in 2 clicks what takes 3 or 4 on other devices. *If* Palm produces the experience, the hardware comparison will be insignificant, if it doesn't, then it simply will not stand out.

    Comparisons with things it's not is hardly useful. It's not a 6 pound laptop; it's not a windows device with a 7" screen. If ya gonna compare it with other things, the apples and oranges thing is not useful. The suspend argument seems a bit weak. let's see, ya get to the airport, waiting for flight, you boot ya laptop....then:

    1. ya close it and get on plane
    2. ya use on plane
    3. ya close it and get off plane
    4. Ya fire up again in airport waiting for connecting flight
    5. Ya close again
    6. Ya open again on plane
    7. Ya close again
    8. Ya open again in cab

    Now each time ya closed that laptop are you walking around with the puter in suspend ? I don't think so. There's also the "wait 30 second rule" after putting a laptop in suspend before moving it. So that's another significant issue every time you get outta a cab, you gonna wait 30 secs ? In addition, laptops no like shock or movement. Hitachi's shock proof technology aside, using a laptop as a passenger in car that hit a pothole, on the Long island Rail Road or just dropped can result in issues this device will be immune to. My B-I-L has a couple of Vaios with HD's that have bum spots on them from such occurrences. And these are aside from the one whose batteries died after 4 months and Sony refused to provide replacement.

    Getting back to my questions, no a 2nd ultralight laptop is not an option. The IT overhead of managing a spare windows based device for me and each employee is outta the question. We spend too much time per head on each windows box we have now. Reminding peeps "have you patched your OS today" ... "have you run your AV and malware programs today" on a 2nd box is not something I wanna do. And for a machine that will get used a few times a month, it can't be justified. Do I leave it plugged in 30 days a month or just try and remember to charge it before my trip ?

    So what's left ? A treo, a remote 10" screen and a KB and whatever else I might need....hmmm maybe but what are these to be powered off of ? My 650 has had two OS updates in almost 3 years, I charge it once a week. the success of the Treo and this new device will depend not so much on what it does as what it doesn't make me do. I want devices I don't have to think about, that don't require weekly maintenance, that don't require management. That again is the success of the I-Pod....it doesn't make you do much to use it. The competition makes you jump thru much more hurdles. the Asus thing is something I have been following for a while but what Windows is going in it ? What room is left after you do ? What Linux will go on it ? What is left after you do ? How much of my time will it take for me to get it to work ? How much of my time will it take for me to keep ot working efficiently ?

    If Palm can provide the same "it doesn't make you do much and everything you do do is easy" experience with it's new toy as it did with it's Treos and as Apple did with the i-Pod, it's got a pretty good shot at success, (though I think the price has gotta drop down a bit). If it's the same as a laptop, it's got nothing to make it stand out and will be forgotten about.
    Best post on the subject of the Foleo thus far... Good job Jack! (I linked to it in my sig)
    Last edited by Golgo 13; 06/18/2007 at 07:26 PM. Reason: afterthought link in sig
  7. #187  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    You can't use a Foleo on a plane. It depends on a wireless connection to a Treo. Can you use it without connecting to a treo?
    Wireless bluetooth is not allowed on a plane.
    Yeah, if its me making the decisions, I want a docking port. Cradle type preferred, cable a bit hokey.

    I just use "hybernate" on my laptops. 20 seconds up and down,
    It's a 15 seconds to power up, and about 5 seconds to fully settle. Close enough to instant on as I need. Also using something without a HDD like the EEEPC means no waiting for a drive to spin down and no problem walking around with it fully powered up.
    Hibernate can make machine go boinky as several software programs no likie. Backup and scheduling software for example. I have an IBM A20p that would never come out of suspend once you installed backup software. Uninstalling didn't stop it either, manual registry editing req'd. Hibernate also puts a significant hit on performance.

    A
    nd I can use it on a plane. I don't know about a cab, though. I suppose you don't even need to shut it off getting out of cab.
    No HD, no need to shut it off.
  8. #188  
    liked the idea at first but it is too pricey. I want as light a machine as possible and if this thing can create and edite MS Office files and show powerpoint along with chekcing email 90% of what i do on the road is done. Sure its nice to have desktop cpacbility on the road but i don't use it for most of my travels. take off 200 from the pre rabate price and i'll buy one at xmas
  9. mmereos's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #189  
    I'm a business traveler, and I use my Treo for Contacts (1500 of them), Calendar, a little internet, and the obvious....To make phone calls. The last thing I need is to carry around another device that is almost the size of a laptop so I can get my emails? I already have a laptop for that. I can even configure my Treo to send and receive email. If I need to use internet for my documents, Powerpoint presentations etc. I have a Verizon EVDO card that I pop into my laptop and it connects very very quickly anywhere that I am.
    Let's say I did get one of these. Geez, now I just edited a powerpoint presentation and I'm back at the office. I have to COPY the newly edited power point presentation to my laptop, so now I have to manage different documents on multiple devices? That doesn't make life easier.
  10. #190  
    [QUOTE=taroliw;1277806]If all Apple had done was release the iPod then I'd have to say I'd have agreed with those posts. By itself the iPod really isn't anything special. It's the combined experience of iTunes, iPod, and the integrated shopping experience (which had the added challenge of making it compelling and stocking it with enough music) that led to the success of a device. Even after Apple's trials and tribulations Microsoft managed to give us the Zune (ugh).

    Well not really is ipod really in many countries (like Jamaica) where you can't buy from ipod and it seems to be just a very popular Mp3 player
  11. #191  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmereos View Post
    I'm a business traveler, and I use my Treo for Contacts (1500 of them), Calendar, a little internet, and the obvious....To make phone calls. The last thing I need is to carry around another device that is almost the size of a laptop so I can get my emails? I already have a laptop for that. I can even configure my Treo to send and receive email. If I need to use internet for my documents, Powerpoint presentations etc. I have a Verizon EVDO card that I pop into my laptop and it connects very very quickly anywhere that I am.
    I don't think the person who uses their laptop and their "one" PC is their target. I use a laptop as my primary PC, have done so since 1996. My needs dictate a 12 pounder and the argument most oft heard is that a desktop would be cheaper and more powerful. No, it wouldn't.

    One "can" buy a laptop PC for $100-$150 than a desktop at the hi end. One can buy a laptop with non power saving components; "mobile" CPUs and the like aren't necessary. But along with that argument, you get the inevitable "A full powered desktop and a light run of the mill laptop best suits my needs".

    Well not only can a correctly configured laptop work just as well as a desktop for 99+% of the population, but a desktop + laptop is not cheaper than a laptop. Now a desktop + a foleo.....maybe.

    On short trips, I just bring the Treo as I am willing to suffer thru thumb board typing for a few short e-mails and put off till I get back anything longer. But some peeps can't. A Foleo offers then a choice of not bringing the laptop for anything. AFoleo offers them the choice of not even owning one.

    Keeping files in sync is no more difficult than keeping contacts in sync. And it's no different from keeping the file son ya laptop in sync with those on the server at the office.....and far less hassle then "Patch Tuesday". The product has a niche, it's just not going to be "all things to all people" and I don't think Palm was expecting it to be. It's success will depend on "the experience"...how fast and simple Palm can make that will determine that not the spec list.

    BTW, saw a video add on the Asus thing.....also comes in a 10" version .....for more money. And takes 15 seconds (so they say) to boot....that's not "instant on".
  12. #192  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post
    BTW, saw a video add on the Asus thing.....also comes in a 10" version .....for more money. And takes 15 seconds (so they say) to boot....that's not "instant on".
    15 seconds isn't exactly a long time. My friend labled our generation the "MOVE!!! generation" (imagine internal dialog screaming 'move' to a person blocking your path at a store, on a highway, etc.) 0 ****ing patience. I'd have to agree, I'm pretty dang impatient. I have to remember to calm down and relax a bit.
    INSTANT on is huge on a phone/pda where you pull it out of your pocket, flip it on, check, flip it off, and put it back all in 4 seconds.

    But this is a screen/keyboard device. Is 15 seconds so long? You still have to sit down, flip it open, and hit the button.
    OK, what they don't tell you is how long does that 'instant on' foleo take to bluetooth connect to your Treo and start syncning. I imagine that's not instant on. How long does it really take until your email is ready to be read?
    I have no idea.

    Now with the ASUS thing, it doesn't even depend on a phone. 15 seconds and you're on. Everything is there. No more waiting.

    Instant on, while very cool is.... just a nice feature.

    For the record I'm not ant-Foleo. I'm sure there are a select few who will find this the perfect device. I personally don't see how it's remotely useful to me.
    I'm just entertained by this instant on argument when I can get any windows based PC 'on' in under 20 seconds if I shut it down with hybernate... which I use all of the time with total success specifically for it's like-instant on.
  13. #193  
    Hibernate gives you almost instant on if you don't have much memory but drags your **** down the rest of the day. In my experience, 95% of laptop users turn it off....in fact, I notice it's not even turned on when it arrives on the last few boxes that arrived here. I think it's god feature for ultralights, not for desktop replacements.

    When I am outta town I generally have a full calendar jumping between meetings, conferences and social networking. When ya have 5 - 10 minutes "between meetings" or an hour between the conference and and the cocktail party, allowing 45 minutes for the 4 S's (Suit, shower, shave and....) you only have short interludes to knock off a few tasks.

    Also, ya drop a bag. I wind up carrying a briefcase and a laptop bag....the Asus and the Foleo fit in the briefcase. What the Foelo needs is OLR behavior . Back in the ole days, all my on line communications was at 2400 baud and was done with an offline reader. Not only e-mails but all my forums would be visited, all messages to me or on subscribed topics downloaded and it would log off.

    If the user uses the Foelo like this....scrolling headers on his Treo, answering the 25 words or less ones directly and saving the ones that need > 25 words responses to get popped over tot he Foleo for when one has time to pop it open then this is gold.

    I jump on a flight and grab all my messages, pilot says turn my crap off and I spend my airtime happily typing on the foleo (where the stewardess isn't going to be hassling me BTW as she would w/ my Teo). As soon as we land and while taxing to the terminal, I can establish the connection and have the Treo send all the crap I just typed on the Foleo and sign off when done (all while it sits in my shirt pocket.

    Yeah, I think "on the go" peeps will find something to be said for that.
  14. #194  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post
    BTW, saw a video add on the Asus thing.....also comes in a 10" version .....for more money. And takes 15 seconds (so they say) to boot....that's not "instant on".
    That's to boot - not from standby. My dell comes out of standby and links to a wireless connection pretty much as quickly as I can raise the screen and get my hands on the keyboard to type my password. It goes back into standby when I close the screen (instantly? I have no idea - it would be like checking the light in the refrigerator when the door is closed). After you "boot" the Eee once, you simply spend the rest of the day opening and closing the screen to use the device...instantly.

    Remember, the Treo is "instant on," but it sure can't reboot from a reset in under 15 seconds.
  15. #195  
    Here's an interesting perspective on the size of the foleo, EEEPC, and a piece of A4 paper.
    http://sizeasy.com/page/size_compari...Foleo-vs-EeePC
  16. kidtreo's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    #196  
    Pity...
    I've been a user since the 300 and a cell phone user since '83 and having just watched 2/3rds of the folio announcement, can only say that I too am horrified at where Palm must believe it's future lies...a castrated laptop that teathers to...a treo and doesn't fit in my hand or pocket. Sad. I've also been an Apple user since the mid 80's as well and I think I know where I'm looking for my next device once voice & video recording and couple other features I want inevitably emerge.

    Wow Palm...where's the inspiration let alone common sense?


  17. #197  
    Castrated laptop?? Most descriptive for the Foleo I've seen yet! LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  18. #198  
    ouch! that smarts... but I might have to agree with kidtreo as well.
    Bny Castro

    MTFBWY...
    my blog | twitter
  19. #199  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    You can't use a Foleo on a plane. It depends on a wireless connection to a Treo. Can you use it without connecting to a treo?
    Wireless bluetooth is not allowed on a plane.
    You only need the wireless connection to actively sync email or use the Internet through the phone. You can use the Foleo without the connection to create and edit office documents, to read email that's been synced from your phone, to write replies, to read PDF files, or to use any other applications that you've installed like Astraware Solitaire and Sudoku.
  20. #200  
    Umm... but doesn't NO RADIOs mean NO RADIOS? That would mean bluetooth too... so sorry. But to the extent that the Foleo can work on it's own without it's PDA leach, then I would agree you should be able to queue up work to deliver when connections are legal (and safe!) again.

Posting Permissions