Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #1  
    I had mentioned in another thread that I couldn't see many IT departments wanting to support yet ANOTHER platform....I think most IT folk will support the wm devices, palm devices, bb's and latpops they have...and see very little use for something like this. While the device costs less to purchase, ultimately adding it as a supported device will cost IT departments quite a bit of time and money.

    SO...that leaves the consumer market. Who on earth wants to spend $300 for a smartphone AND $500 for this thing so they can check e-mail?

    I guess I'm trying to decide who this device was really created for?
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
  2. #2  
    This is THE million dollar question.

    My gut feeling is that this is for a select number of mobile professionals within corporations.

    In other words, its a market niche product, not a widespread consumer device.
  3. #3  
    Could be both, depends on app support and ease of use. More like for the prosumer who travels a good bit and needs more than a Treo, but a laptop is really too much.

    Considering all those that I know who never sync their Treos, Foleo being able to sync at least email automatically has to be good. But that really is not good enough.

    If I am an IT dept, and I have already deployed Treos/BBs and laptops, I am seriously considering this. The level of overhead on Foleo is so small, and the amount of training that has to be done, security, etc. is so small that its nearly a win win - price notwithstanding.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  4. #4  
    Look. I am their target customer. I can afford this. I am on and off planes fequently. I am nearing the mythical paperless office. Hells bells - my room parent duties are run with a wordpress.com blog and a Google Group. No MS Publisher newsletters for me.

    I don't understand why I need the Foleo. I have a very lightweight laptop. T-Mobile Hotspots. A Treo. I'm fine. I am willing to be persuaded but what does it do for me?

    I don't care about Linux. Or WM. Or Garnet. I care about getting things done. How does this Foleo thing help me?
  5. #5  
    Dag Tasty, great questions.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    I don't understand why I need the Foleo. I have a very lightweight laptop. T-Mobile Hotspots. A Treo. I'm fine. I am willing to be persuaded but what does it do for me?

    I don't care about Linux. Or WM. Or Garnet. I care about getting things done. How does this Foleo thing help me?
    I agree that you don't need one, but from what you described as your workload, a Foleo could meet your needs at a price of $500 vs over $2000 for a similarly sized subnotebook.

    It would also have the added advantage of automagically working with the same data that is one your Treo.
  7. #7  
    This is geared for neither business or consumer users. Palm just determined who will use this device......



    Jeff Hawkins.
  8. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    This is geared for neither business or consumer users. Palm just determined who will use this device......



    Jeff Hawkins.
    NO WONDER R&D HAS BEEN SLOW! He's been using this beast as his primary CPU for 5 years!
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
    NO WONDER R&D HAS BEEN SLOW! He's been using this beast as his primary CPU for 5 years!
    This is no longer his second brain, IT IS HIS BRAIN, and its fried.

    the follyo is hawkins brain on drugs... any questions?
  10. #10  
    I am interested in it. The sending of some reports, spread sheets, et cetera, from the 700p has been done bunches of times, though always a hassle. It is rare that I ever enter the office, doing everything for the most part via email via the Treo or the laptop and my laptop is an old man's laptop - 17" Vista laptop. I would not have anything different for my every day computer usage, but for work, the Foleo looks interesting.

    Ben
  11. #11  
    I laughed when I learned about this Foleo and immediately checked these forums to confirm my shock as to why Palm would enter this type of market.

    But then I remembered talking to a group of people last week and most of them (mostly women baby-boomers) were still using their 10 year old Dell desktops with Windows 98 (courtesy of their grown up kids, computer swap freebies, garage sale, etc.) Everyone was simply using their computers for email, online shopping, (using DSL or cable) and the occasional Word software. They are sick and tired of viruses, and the slow boot up time but they have no desire to get too "hi-tech" like me as I showed them my new Macbook and tried to convince them to upgrade to a later laptop. All they wanted was to replace their aging desktops with a "cheap" small laptop that is easy to use so they can communicate with friends and families through email and surf the net, not to mention ebay and craiglist shopping.

    You know what, I think this is the market that Jeff Hawkings is after and with the right marketing magic, he will sell millions of Foleos. (I might even buy one for my wife if the price goes down to $350). Hawkins is not as stupid as most people in these forums have unfairly labeled him for.

    Definitely not for Treo users or future iPhone fanboys like me
    Last edited by Treo Rat; 05/30/2007 at 09:03 PM.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
  12. #12  
    mostly business... palm will market it that way .. that's ther eclient base.

    however . Just like my large fortune 500 company doesn not use palm currently (black berry only), the will not use this product. To much data risk, too much exposure. cost it to high IMO
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  13. #13  
    A good article from CNET that's worth a read, IMO. Talks about some of the thoughts in this thread.

    "IS FOLEO PALM'S FOLLY?
    By Tom Krazit, Staff Writer, CNET News.com
    Palm's bid to reinvent mobile computing looks an awful lot like the current state of mobile computing, but with less horsepower..."


    http://news.com.com/Is+Foleo+Palms+f...tag=ne.fd.mnbc

    - Doug
  14. #14  
    I could see mobile field tech/service engineers using something like this where they need access to the internet remotely but don't need an entire laptop ..perhaps 1st responders too (police/fire/paramedics) too (although they all have some sort of laptop in the vehicles today...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  15. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Rat View Post
    I laughed when I learned about this Foleo and immediately checked these forums to confirm my shock as to why Palm would enter this type of market.

    But then I remembered talking to a group of people last week and most of them (mostly women baby-boomers) were still using their 10 year old Dell desktops with Windows 98 (courtesy of their grown up kids, computer swap freebies, garage sale, etc.) Everyone was simply using their computers for email, online shopping, (using DSL or cable) and the occasional Word software. They are sick and tired of viruses, and the slow boot up time but they have no desire to get too "hi-tech" like me as I showed them my new Macbook and tried to convince them to upgrade to a later laptop. All they wanted was to replace their aging desktops with a "cheap" small laptop that is easy to use so they can communicate with friends and families through email and surf the net, not to mention ebay and craiglist shopping.

    You know what, I think this is the market that Jeff Hawkings is after and with the right marketing magic, he will sell millions of Foleos. (I might even buy one for my wife if the price goes down to $350). Hawkins is not as stupid as most people in these forums have unfairly labeled him for.

    Definitely not for Treo users or future iPhone fanboys like me
    Let me get this straight - Hawkings has decided a "mobile companion " device intended for use nomadically and in conjunction with a smartphone to catch desktop marketshare from the homeuser market - that's some plan

    using DSL or cable
    does this even have an ethernet connection or even usb?
    Last edited by CGK; 05/31/2007 at 10:57 AM.
  16. cadams's Avatar
    Posts
    301 Posts
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Rat View Post
    I laughed when I learned about this Foleo and immediately checked these forums to confirm my shock as to why Palm would enter this type of market.

    But then I remembered talking to a group of people last week and most of them (mostly women baby-boomers) were still using their 10 year old Dell desktops with Windows 98 (courtesy of their grown up kids, computer swap freebies, garage sale, etc.) Everyone was simply using their computers for email, online shopping, (using DSL or cable) and the occasional Word software. They are sick and tired of viruses, and the slow boot up time but they have no desire to get too "hi-tech" like me as I showed them my new Macbook and tried to convince them to upgrade to a later laptop. All they wanted was to replace their aging desktops with a "cheap" small laptop that is easy to use so they can communicate with friends and families through email and surf the net, not to mention ebay and craiglist shopping.

    You know what, I think this is the market that Jeff Hawkings is after and with the right marketing magic, he will sell millions of Foleos. (I might even buy one for my wife if the price goes down to $350). Hawkins is not as stupid as most people in these forums have unfairly labeled him for.

    Definitely not for Treo users or future iPhone fanboys like me
    But this does not offer up what you are describing it as doing for computer illeterates. It does not create documents, only edits attachments sent to your smartphone that is then sync'd with the Foleo. Get an email that has video or pictures and it looks like you are out of luck viewing it. Want to view that latest video running on Youtube that everyone is sending you? Sorry, can't play web media.

    I don't know why anyone thinks this can penetrate a market it has no chance functioning in. If you want ease of use get granny a Mac, she'll be up and running in minutes.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    does this even have an ethernet connection or even usb?
    It has WiFi and USB.
  18. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams View Post
    But this does not offer up what you are describing it as doing for computer illeterates. It does not create documents, only edits attachments sent to your smartphone that is then sync'd with the Foleo. Get an email that has video or pictures and it looks like you are out of luck viewing it. Want to view that latest video running on Youtube that everyone is sending you? Sorry, can't play web media.

    I don't know why anyone thinks this can penetrate a market it has no chance functioning in. If you want ease of use get granny a Mac, she'll be up and running in minutes.
    Run that pass me again - you are unable to create documents on the device? only edit what's on your phone?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams View Post
    But this does not offer up what you are describing it as doing for computer illeterates. It does not create documents, only edits attachments sent to your smartphone that is then sync'd with the Foleo. Get an email that has video or pictures and it looks like you are out of luck viewing it. Want to view that latest video running on Youtube that everyone is sending you? Sorry, can't play web media.
    You can create documents with Docs to Go. And you can view pictures. It can handle Flash, but they say that Flash video is jerky.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Look. I am their target customer. I can afford this. I am on and off planes fequently. I am nearing the mythical paperless office. Hells bells - my room parent duties are run with a wordpress.com blog and a Google Group. No MS Publisher newsletters for me.

    I don't understand why I need the Foleo. I have a very lightweight laptop. T-Mobile Hotspots. A Treo. I'm fine. I am willing to be persuaded but what does it do for me?

    I don't care about Linux. Or WM. Or Garnet. I care about getting things done. How does this Foleo thing help me?
    Instant on, 2.5 lb, 5-hr battery, and solid state. For some, it is well worth the $500 price tag....the question is how big the "some" is?

    Tasty, you know this as well as anybody else on this forum, how many people thought they needed a personal computer back in 1977?

    time will tell
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions