Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Foleo is everything that's wrong with palm. They just don't get the marketplace, nor do they listen to their users.

Why on earth would anyone want this.

First you need a Treo. upwards of $600 for the 755p. Then you theoretically need this device. Another $499. 2 things you need to lug around to get the efficiency of a small laptop and cellphone. So, I'm supposed to spend over $1000 for a Treo that is running an ancient, outdated OS (have they fixed any of the 700p's issues yet?) and a pseudo laptop that doesn't run anything other than basic built-in apps.

Who are they kidding? A phone that's a poor excuse for an internet communicator and a laptop that's a poor excuse for a laptop.

No thanks, Palm.

Does anyone now wonder why Palm is looking to be bought up by another firm. If this is the best their think tanks can come up with, I'd be looking for someone to bail me out also.

A sad day for Palm users...
    Tony Ricciardi
    Owner
    www.MacSupport.com
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Wow all of this secrecy and "innovation" for palms version of remote desktop…………
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Can't I do this stuff already with my laptop? Are they integrating with the Google suite of apps? THAT might make the thing compelling. All I see with the Foleo is a pared down laptop and a spelling error!
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
  4.    #4  
    That's exactly what it is. An under-powered laptop that syncs your treo.
    even a laptop can get my pop mail though. This thing REQUIRES my phone to "sync" email.

Laughable.
    Tony Ricciardi
    Owner
    www.MacSupport.com
    http://www.palm.com/us/products/mobi...foleo/web.html

cr8p

wonder if it will have a 4 hour battery life, resets, blinking keyboard lights, dimming screen, gibberish screen headings, and lags?

on a "positive" note: development of the linux os..... for future treos....
    if it was steve jobs....maybe we would all want one!

ps: I am a mac "fanboy" but couldnt resist!
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinadvl View Post
    if it was steve jobs....maybe we would all want one!

ps: I am a mac "fanboy" but couldnt resist!
    Not even the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field (tm) could spin this thing into something good.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I can't believe Hawkins would even associate his name with this thing. What a waste! How do you spell the end of Palm? i - P - h - o - n -e

Dunc
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    I was thinking that this could be a replacement for my Nokia 770. I already use it for the larger screen, linked to the net through the Treo. Having a keyboard would be nice.

But 2.5 lbs is too much. The 770 is .5 lbs and no big deal to carry around. If I'm going to lug that much, might as well grab the laptop bag.

This is the most interesting device the founder of Palm could come up with?
    And the price? $600?! (nevermind the pita rebate).

I'm a loyal Palm user, can't stand WM. But I sure hope they can survive this long enough to get to the new Treos...
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Not even the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field (tm) could spin this thing into something good.
    I'm sure he could. If this was an Apple product everyone would want one.

Surur
    Its nice to see that it has built in Wi-Fi. Depending on how powerful it turns out to be, I could make use of this in class or even in my truck, places where using my 17" Dell laptop is a bit cumbersome.

Time will tell.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    http://www.palm.com/us/products/mobi...nce/index.html

Check out palms flash site that shows the foleo’s capabilities. The foleo is the reason we all have a smart/pda phones. The Foleo looks, acts, and smells just like a laptop. I bought my treo so I didn’t have to carry my laptop around. Most of the stuff that is on our Treos is accessible on a full size laptop. So If I wanted to see stuff on a "bigger" screen why not just pull out my laptop and a wireless card? With cell phone companies having high speed wireless cards available, I see no practical need for this. It is just a high priced wireless keyboard with a screen attached.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    At the very end of the flash presentation Jeff Hawkins comes on and does his best Steve Job's impersonation. I flat out reject EVERY assertion he makes about the need for this kind of device...
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    This is the biggest waste of money I've ever seen. $500 for a screen and keyboard? I could get an actual laptop for that kind of money and then sync with my Treo. Wow...
    Hey at least it has instant on and off capabilities, even my 700p doesn't have that.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezdog View Post
    Hey at least it has instant on and off capabilities, even my 700p doesn't have that.
    That's because it doesn't do anything. There's no OS or applications to load. It just turns on and connects to the Treo. It's just a wireless keyboard and monitor.
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    There's no OS or applications to load.
    Not true... It's running Palm Linux...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I'm sure he could. If this was an Apple product everyone would want one.

Surur
    No they wouldn't. I don't think the iPhone is a POS - it actually has a purpose. This device needs to be put out of its misery.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Not true... It's running Palm Linux...
    If that's true, it's not really doing much of anything, it's just a conduit for the Treo. It looks like all the applications are run off the Treo. I really don't see why anyone would spend laptop money on that thing. Give me a foldable keyboard screen that can be closed up in a small package for a couple hundred bucks and we'll talk.
  20.    #20  
    The built-in wifi is useless since it doesn't actually have a working mail client. It simply "syncs" with your Treo Versamail. I can only assume from the tech specs I read that it does not send or recieve mail. It REQUIRES the treo be in proximity so it can sync the mail. Threfore the wifi is only useful for web browsing and the like.

And how about those of us who user chatter or snappermail as our client. Another tidbit from the tech specs is that it only works with built-in mail apps. Are snapper and chatter users out of luck? Do we HAVE to use versamail to take advantage of this already useless device???

So many questions, so few answers.
    Tony Ricciardi
    Owner
    www.MacSupport.com
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast