Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    this just in -

police sources say that a raid on palm's R&D offices is likely. An unnamed officer said "after seeing the spec and rationale behind the new folio, it became clear that those offices must be doubling as a crackhouse. It's the only logical explaintion for what we are seeing - five years to develop this? It's obvious that this is the result of five years of pipe usage"
    Quote Originally Posted by creativeguy View Post
    Let's be realistic here. All the Foleo is is a way to leech money off the iPhone juggernaut that is coming. The Palm guy (can't remember which) was quoted as saying "we hope to support the iphone with the Foleo but haven't signed any deals yet". I'm surprised that they are at this point before the iphone has even launched, but they are doing exactly what Creative did when they lost the mp3 war with Apple. If you can't beat them, make accessories for them!
    Yeah, cuz Apple would want us to buy one of these instead of a Macbook to sync our iPhones.
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    This is interesting,
    But my wife thinks that this is a great device. She says that it would be a great device for a airplane to get caught up on work, showing pics to friends at work, typing invoices on the go etc. That was a interesting poin of view. I guess it does have some place somewhere.
    Buy your wife a macbook. If you're gonna spend $499 after a mail in rebate, you might as well double it and get something good for your money.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    PALM was up 2.60% today.
    the Foleo ain't here yet.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    This is truely unbelievable. I wonder what kind of headset jack it has if any?

Probably 2.5 and its on the bottom so you cant rest it on your lap comfortably and will break the first time you use it.
    It's not powerful enough to play MP3s.
    maybe it can power an 8track cassette
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    maybe it can power an 8track cassette
    It's not a bad analogue - for years palm have been singing the convergence song and it suddenly it's "oh it's divergence that people want!"

What do I get the feeling that the internal conversation went like this:

"we spent how much developing this? and it does what?"

"we've got to release it - hope we can sell some, we've got too much sunk into it's R&D development"

Have you seen the JH webcast? - when it says he thinks this will be palm's best seller ever - you can see a pistol pointed towards him at the bottom of the screen.
    You guys are enjoying your curmudgeonly rhetoric - admit it :-)

What about a few positives for some contrast and balance:
    1. You don't have to worry about updating your laptop OS - Linux doesnt really change except for OS GUI overlays. Immediate saving and avoidance of fake updates like Vista.
    2. This is a great little Linux terminal
    3. Think about how long it takes to get to your live email on your laptop in an airport - boot the PC (at best, Windows hibernation wake-up takes a minute), login to Windows, attach to Wifi (acquire hotspot SSID, pay for usage using credit card, attach - maybe ten minutes). Now login to VPN (30 seconds). Then your Outlook starts to synch with the Exchange server (may take another two minutes for a busy Exchange account). You can cut down on the Net connect time a bit by using a Windows Mobile device and using ICS or ModemConnect. It just takes too long - all told. Using a laptop with an integrated GSM or CDMA modem can help a bit but these ar not too common. If you are real about this time delay - the Foleo idea may not be too bad. Press a button, login and there's your current email. I might buy that.
    4. You are free (for now) from viruses and other attacks.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron View Post
    Think about how long it takes to get to your live email on your laptop in an airport....
    I just did a real-world time test of getting my Vaio out of hibernation and downloading email (admittedly only 3 emails, as I'd just done the same on my desktop). 28.9 seconds, from off/hibernate to reading mail.

OK, that was via WiFi too, but with the point is, it needn't be that bad with a laptop. And synching mail on a Treo isn't instant either! The same 3 emails took 22.9 seconds on my 680, partly due to that being 2G of course! (Now there's another point - I have a 3G card in my laptop, so the more email I download, the quicker the laptop will be for me compared to a 2G Foleo...unless I buy a new phone too.)

The Foleo is a solution to a problem most people just don't have. If you do, fine, but I think you're in an exclusive set, as the device is currently priced and configured.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    How much did your laptop cost? How much does it weigh? How long does the battery last while you're actively using WiFi?

So you get that it's not for you. Why the anger?

Most companies make plenty of things I would never buy. I don't get upset by that though.
    You know... I had to ask myself why I'm so bothered by this. It's not a device I plan on buying, it's not something I would ever want, so why would I even care whether it was any good or not? I came up with three possible reasons (Yes, that means I still don't know why):

1: I'm a fan, and I hate to see the team I support do badly. After all, when you hype up a product that makes it sound like *everyone* and their unborn children are going to want it, well, you would expect that it would be something that doesn't rate so poorly when announced.

2a: It's not a good design, and striving for good designs is what motivates me personally and professionally. Palm veered too far away from mobility with this device to not come up with something that really is a full UMPC or notebook, given the size. Also, as has been pointed out, there are many other solutions that offer the ability to do email, edit documents, and surf the web in addition to other functionality.

2b: This is the launch phase of the product... so if you're going to launch a whole new product and claim that it is the "future of mobile computing", which sounds like it's supposed to be a revolution to me, then why aim so low? This is a design-related gripe... or more specifically, the requirements for the design were aimed way too low.

3: I must think I could've done a better job. Yeah, I know that sounds conceited ('cause it is)... but I'm just being honest.

So, it's the next day, and I'm still bothered by this stuff... Yet at this point I should be moving on to apathy. Really.
    Who's flying this thing?
    I have to say that if this is the best Palm can do, the company really is in bad shape. Why would anyone pay $500 for this device when you could buy a full laptop for the same price that does everything the Foleo does plus a lot more. People are not that stupid. It is really kind of sad. Even though I don't have a Treo now, I've owned just about every Treo model released and overall have been very pleased with them. Like someone said it really is kind of embarrassing. I'd say the future of Palm looks really bleak. With all of the new (and better) Smartphones being released every day they are just falling further and further behind and if this Foleo is an example of where they are spending all their time and resouces they will be going out of business sooner than later.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    3. Think about how long it takes to get to your live email on your laptop in an airport - boot the PC (at best, Windows hibernation wake-up takes a minute), login to Windows, attach to Wifi (acquire hotspot SSID, pay for usage using credit card, attach - maybe ten minutes). Now login to VPN (30 seconds). Then your Outlook starts to synch with the Exchange server (may take another two minutes for a busy Exchange account). You can cut down on the Net connect time a bit by using a Windows Mobile device and using ICS or ModemConnect. It just takes too long - all told. Using a laptop with an integrated GSM or CDMA modem can help a bit but these ar not too common. If you are real about this time delay - the Foleo idea may not be too bad. Press a button, login and there's your current email. I might buy that.
    Um...I get many large attachments in my e-mail. This is a bluetooth device...you forgot to include the time its going to take for my Foleo to pair with my Treo and then send large attachments over a shaky bluetooth connection. And then once I comment and forward the e-mail...how long will it take to get back on my Treo so it can actually be sent?

Layers upon layers of delay and frustration.
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    1. You don't have to worry about updating your laptop OS - Linux doesnt really change except for OS GUI overlays. Immediate saving and avoidance of fake updates like Vista.
    This is a new device. Do you have any idea how buggy it will be. It will need many many updates. But of course you are right, you probably wont have to worry about updates since Palm wont give you any.

3. Think about how long it takes to get to your live email on your laptop in an airport - boot the PC (at best, Windows hibernation wake-up takes a minute),
    You have heard of suspend, haven't you? Takes about 2 seconds to wake up.

Surur
    This has got to be the most bizarre announcement I've ever seen by a tech company. I really think Palm has lots it's marbles on this one. I just don't see a market for this at all. The only possible use I see is combining this with an extremely tiny phone, but of course that's not the Treo.

I just don't see why anyone would want this instead of a small (or big) laptop. Businesses are not going to buy this for employees instead of a standard laptop. Any good size business will want to install their own security apps for remote access and they can't do that on this.

It's a really sad day for Palm.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyricciardi View Post
    First you need a Treo. upwards of $600 for the 755p. Then you theoretically need this device. Another $499. 2 things you need to lug around to get the efficiency of a small laptop and cellphone. So, I'm supposed to spend over $1000 for a Treo that is running an ancient, outdated OS (have they fixed any of the 700p's issues yet?) and a pseudo laptop that doesn't run anything other than basic built-in apps.
    Don't forget the cost of a new BT phone that actually WORKS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    This picture really killed me:

This isn't pocketable. This isn't a 'companion'.

This is a freaking laptop. Without the capabilities.
    OH! I get it. The Foileo is a pad for your Treo to help you find it...
    PALM was up 2.60% today.
    and down over 2% today.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    OK, maybe its just me--but I don't think I'm that unique. I don't own a laptop; I have a dell vista box and an old iMac at home. At work, I do have a laptop.

With the Treo, I (usually successfully) avoid lugging the laptop (and the power supply, and the ethernet cable and the laptop protective sleeve--nearly ten pounds in all) on most business and all personal trips. OTOH, the Treo screen IS small, and I find the Treo keyboard best for SMS-length and complexity messages/replies, rather than considered pieces like this one.

For me, the Foleo MIGHT hit a sweet spot: little bigger than a hardback book, not much heavier, a useable screen size and a real keyboard. That would address the above-described deficiencies of the Treo during travel and in hotel rooms etc. Plus, it seems to be a wi-fi device to wander around home with, so I wouldn't be moored to one of what are two desktops.

However, I would have to have a way of getting what's coming into the Treo on Sprint PCS Business Connection into the Foleo. I haven't seen anything about that, but would find it more than a little surprising if Palm didn't address that. With that, I'm a customer.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dell View Post
    OK, maybe its just me--but I don't think I'm that unique. I don't own a laptop; I have a dell vista box and an old iMac at home. At work, I do have a laptop.

With the Treo, I (usually successfully) avoid lugging the laptop (and the power supply, and the ethernet cable and the laptop protective sleeve--nearly ten pounds in all) on most business and all personal trips. OTOH, the Treo screen IS small, and I find the Treo keyboard best for SMS-length and complexity messages/replies, rather than considered pieces like this one.

For me, the Foleo MIGHT hit a sweet spot: little bigger than a hardback book, not much heavier, a useable screen size and a real keyboard. That would address the above-described deficiencies of the Treo during travel and in hotel rooms etc. Plus, it seems to be a wi-fi device to wander around home with, so I wouldn't be moored to one of what are two desktops.

However, I would have to have a way of getting what's coming into the Treo on Sprint PCS Business Connection into the Foleo. I haven't seen anything about that, but would find it more than a little surprising if Palm didn't address that. With that, I'm a customer.
    For $150 more, you could get a full function UMPC such as kohjinsha with 100G HD with wifi, bt.
    Need WIFI, 3.5G, slim and light form factor for Treo to win me back from Samsung i600 !!!!!
    I ask myself, if this is truly a new catagory of product, what would be its "killer app"?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast