Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I agree Keefur! And to add, what I think is humorous is when Palm announces these features like they are truly unique & something that the Foleo can only provide.

1) email - "wireless email gets a big boost". Um yeah I am not sure if they realize that there is no need to sync your email to another device since the recent invention of IMAP!! I mean WOW you got me there If I read an email on the Foleo it will automatically sync it on the Treo. WOW let me give you my bank card with pin number. I definitely need the Foleo for that.

2) attachments - "email attachments - you'll see the big picture". hmm well here is the innovation I was hoping for. being able to open & create office documents for email on a bigger screen. I see "the big picture" now - why Jeff Hawkins is where he is at today as this must have taken some years of truly ingenious brainstorming to come up with this. oh wait a minute I can do exactly this on my 11 INCH LAPTOP!!

3) web browsing - "need wireless web access? go big" hmm you got me there. I am no graduate student in modern day computer technologies but I ASSUMED that when I fire up my 11 inch sony vaio computer, I could browse the web wirelessly. through wi-fi AND PDANET! hmmm me thinks I am stupider than I thought because I swear to all the gods that what the folio can do, MANY other devices can, & have been for many years now, do BETTER.

what gets me is how on earth someone can write this s h ! t without feeling like they are getting paid a lot of money to babysit a corpse. they really insult our intelligence. kind of like when every bank advertises that they have "free checking" like it is so unique. EMAIL, WEB & ATTACHMENTS?? They might as well have said, BATTERY, SCREEN & PLASTIC!

* use bluetooth to surf the web - of course because the treos (especially newer models) have great battery life as a standalone PDA & will surely have enough juice for a power hungry peripheral device like the folio.
    * an SD slot when they have MINI SD on all newer treos?
    * it runs new stable linux but it will be a companion to a antiquated palm os device?? so I am going to spend mucho dinero on bose stereo headphones to go with a 1982 cheaply made tape casette walkman??
    * cannot view sites with flash like youtube?? well I can understand as youtube is really a fringe site that probably gets 20 hits a month or something. not many people care or know about youtube.
    * no touch screen? what the foleo is the dealio here?? ok we can see that you guys want to make more money by pumping out as many devices as you can but AT LEAST create a device that is a half step above or at least on par with current devices that you will be competing with - laptops & UMPCs. touchscreen is a future technology though. very jetson's. i don't even think anyone has filed a patent for it yet so I get it :-/

* no way to watch dvds? So I have to carry a foleo, treo, dvd player or laptop, ipod & camera??????? how many freaking companions do i need?? I would like to stick with one companion which does all these things - what the original TREO line was supposed to address. look even if this is supposed to be one of those machines that is made for web, email & documents I get that but understand you must realize that most people today (whether they really use it or not) expect to have multimedia function. it's like people buying a home expect to see a kitchen there. many people won't even use it because they are too busy but I don't think anyone would buy a house with no kitchen. look at most cell phones today. it's all about, IM, SMS, recording & watching video clips, downloading & playing music. this makes no sense to me. UNLESS palm is doing what they did with the treo. release subpar devices & each year add those little upgrades & make people pay for a whole new device to get them. treo 600, 650, 700, 740, 680, 750, 755. Are they really THAT many changes in all those models? do we YET have the model with features that are at least comparable to most CELL phones out today? then ask how much money was made by selling all those incremental upgrades??

so people will buy this. people who don't own a laptop who just want to get on the net will eat this up because of the price. people who are tech geeks like us will not buy thing. it is a superfluous device. it is not innovation it is OUT-ovation. going backwards. but I am not sure they will sell enough to continue the treo line.

I have more to say but I have to go throw up in my own mouth because even that is a more pleasant experience than thinking the cardboard house version of a laptop called the FLOP-EO!
    ouch
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jg013c View Post
    Have you ever taken a sip of apple juice thinking its iced tea and then spit it out thinking how disgusting it was only to later realize that it is pretty good apple juice?

Well that is how I feel this community is receiving the Folio. The Folio makes for a disgusting laptop but it also makes for an incredible portable web-appliance! This is the perfect device for surfing the web wile on the go or while in bed. It is small, light and boots fast. It has wifi so you can surf fast from home, and it has automatic bluetooth tethering so you can surf the web while on the train. You can also surf without fear of virus or spyware because its Linux!

It is linux based so you will eventually be able to use Skype, Trillian, Thunderbird, Open Office and all of the other open source goodies. This will be the biggest homebrew field day since the PSP!

Now pair this baby with an ultra-slim phone and you are sitting pretty good.

As iced tea this thing sucks, but as apple juice it is actually pretty good.
    This is an interesting approach ... not sure i agree but the alternate view should be welcomed not dissmissed.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jg013c View Post
    Have you ever taken a sip of apple juice thinking its iced tea and then spit it out thinking how disgusting it was only to later realize that it is pretty good apple juice?

Well that is how I feel this community is receiving the Folio. The Folio makes for a disgusting laptop but it also makes for an incredible portable web-appliance! This is the perfect device for surfing the web wile on the go or while in bed. It is small, light and boots fast. It has wifi so you can surf fast from home, and it has automatic bluetooth tethering so you can surf the web while on the train. You can also surf without fear of virus or spyware because its Linux!

It is linux based so you will eventually be able to use Skype, Trillian, Thunderbird, Open Office and all of the other open source goodies. This will be the biggest homebrew field day since the PSP!

Now pair this baby with an ultra-slim phone and you are sitting pretty good.

As iced tea this thing sucks, but as apple juice it is actually pretty good.
    It's not the apple juice your sippin, it's the Kool AidŽ!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    2) The people over at Apple had to be watching the product launch and blowing milk out their noses.

LMFAO!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    Maybe thats why this was so top secret and no leak from any source. It would've been bashed a long time ago adding to Palms reputation of great innovation. HA!
    Everyone who was working on this project probably thought it wasn't worth talking about. They were probaly just as shocked as we were this morning.
    Hey, I'm not saying i'd buy this, because i wouldn't but i may recommend it to someone who wants a portable device for surfing the web and a little more and doesent want the hassle of malware and windows updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenzytom View Post
    It's not the apple juice your sippin, it's the Kool AidŽ!!
    LMAO
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden View Post
    Everyone who was working on this project probably thought it wasn't worth talking about. They were probaly just as shocked as we were this morning.
    Some time ago I was spending a day as a recruiter for my firm at a college career fair (tech job but totally different industry....). One of the students approached my booth and on his resume listed an internship at Palm for the prior summer. Being a long-time Palm user going back to the Palm III days I quizzed him on what he worked on during the internship. He eventually started talking about a device that basically sounded like this Fooleo piece of crap. I kind of wrote him off since in my mind at the time the whole idea to me seemed like a joke that no one would ever actually be interested in using. I thought, who knows, maybe he spent the entire summer making photocopies or something and made up that garbage on the fly while talking to me...

Anyway, it had long since slipped to the back of my mind. Then this morning when I started reading the accidentally leaked details of this thing, I remembered that career fair dude and the first thought I had was "Oh no! Please don't let it be that!!!"

Palm is dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    I see "the big picture" now - why Jeff Hawkins is where he is at today as this must have taken some years of truly ingenious brainstorming to come up with this. oh wait a minute I can do exactly this on my 11 INCH LAPTOP!!
    How much did your laptop cost? How much does it weigh? How long does the battery last while you're actively using WiFi?

so people will buy this. people who don't own a laptop who just want to get on the net will eat this up because of the price. people who are tech geeks like us will not buy thing.
    So you get that it's not for you. Why the anger?

Most companies make plenty of things I would never buy. I don't get upset by that though.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Seriously - I'm willing to bet that Palm's stock is going down the drain after this announcement. And if that happens, Palm will be bought by some competitor or some investment group. And neither of the latter will allow the Foleo to ship. No way.

While I personally don't feel utterly appalled by it, I really don't see a (mass) market for this thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakis View Post
    Seriously - I'm willing to bet that Palm's stock is going down the drain after this announcement.
    PALM was up 2.60% today.
    What freakin RETARDS. I can't believe that piece of crap was the big secret. That was so lame.

I think the device is cool. but in no way was that worth the wait or all the hype.

Hey PALM/Jeff Hawkins get a clue. The device you are calling a "3rd cat" is already avalible. it is called a UMPC.

WOW how sad.
    Don't forget. Bluetooth doesn't even work properly on HALF the TREOS Palm releases. So how in the world are they expecting Folio/Foleo to work with a Treo's BT connection.

Palm didn't think this through at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    Palm continues to amaze me. I thought that it was already out of feet, but it still managed to shoot itself. Someone put Palm out of their misery. WM5 has clearly won out.

I truly think that the average customer is going to be royally confused. If the nerds think it's supposed to be a laptop, what is the average dude going to think about this thing when he gets home and tries to fire up itunes, chat on yahoo messenger, or legally fileshare?

that is funny.
    Palm must have 3 feet. They have shot off their last foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post

that is funny.
    Palm must have 3 feet. They have shot off their last foot.
    I doubt based on this release that Palm was hangin low enough to be described as having 3 feet.

Is that a tripod you have there or are you happy to see me?

UHHH Yeah Palm definately doesnt swing that low and they definately dont have it like that.

This is truely unbelievable. I wonder what kind of headset jack it has if any?

Probably 2.5 and its on the bottom so you cant rest it on your lap comfortably and will break the first time you use it.

Oh and BTW Hawk... a "companion" in my book does not make a new catagory. Its called a periphial.

New catagory my azz.
    Last edited by Hdhntr23; 05/31/2007 at 12:33 AM.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Actually I take that back...

They probably did swing that low... they were just too stupid to realize they had it like that and they shot it off anyway.

(Im sorry its late)
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    So how do you guys really feel?
    This is interesting,
    But my wife thinks that this is a great device. She says that it would be a great device for a airplane to get caught up on work, showing pics to friends at work, typing invoices on the go etc. That was a interesting poin of view. I guess it does have some place somewhere.
    Let's be realistic here. All the Foleo is is a way to leech money off the iPhone juggernaut that is coming. The Palm guy (can't remember which) was quoted as saying "we hope to support the iphone with the Foleo but haven't signed any deals yet". I'm surprised that they are at this point before the iphone has even launched, but they are doing exactly what Creative did when they lost the mp3 war with Apple. If you can't beat them, make accessories for them!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast