Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I seriously wish they would spend some time developing updates for their current phones to make them work better instead of working on lame dummied down laptops and trying to decide what new color they should sell a rehash of an old phone in.
    Quote Originally Posted by dewald View Post
    ... and it is not April 1st.
    That was the planned launch date, but once again Palm delivered late.....
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinadvl View Post
    http://www.palm.com/us/products/mobi...foleo/web.html

cr8p

wonder if it will have a 4 hour battery life, resets, blinking keyboard lights, dimming screen, gibberish screen headings, and lags?

on a "positive" note: development of the linux os..... for future treos....
    After this debacle, I doubt you will see any more Treos as Palm will be defunct.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    when can we expect treo 800 with wifi & world phone???
    How about NEVER. Palm will soon be out of business I fear.
    Ditto the disgust...

Still waiting for the 700p MR...

Off to the Sprint 6800...
    Have you ever taken a sip of apple juice thinking its iced tea and then spit it out thinking how disgusting it was only to later realize that it is pretty good apple juice?

Well that is how I feel this community is receiving the Folio. The Folio makes for a disgusting laptop but it also makes for an incredible portable web-appliance! This is the perfect device for surfing the web wile on the go or while in bed. It is small, light and boots fast. It has wifi so you can surf fast from home, and it has automatic bluetooth tethering so you can surf the web while on the train. You can also surf without fear of virus or spyware because its Linux!

It is linux based so you will eventually be able to use Skype, Trillian, Thunderbird, Open Office and all of the other open source goodies. This will be the biggest homebrew field day since the PSP!

Now pair this baby with an ultra-slim phone and you are sitting pretty good.

As iced tea this thing sucks, but as apple juice it is actually pretty good.
    Time to ditch my macbook. I've always wanted a 2 1/2 lb. keyboard for my treo!
    ^
    |
    |
    Palm Employee?

Quote Originally Posted by jg013c View Post
    Have you ever taken a sip of apple juice thinking its iced tea and then spit it out thinking how disgusting it was only to later realize that it is pretty good apple juice?

Well that is how I feel this community is receiving the Folio. The Folio makes for a disgusting laptop but it also makes for an incredible portable web-appliance! This is the perfect device for surfing the web wile on the go or while in bed. It is small, light and boots fast. It has wifi so you can surf fast from home, and it has automatic bluetooth tethering so you can surf the web while on the train. You can also surf without fear of virus or spyware because its Linux!

It is linux based so you will eventually be able to use Skype, Trillian, Thunderbird, Open Office and all of the other open source goodies. This will be the biggest homebrew field day since the PSP!

Now pair this baby with an ultra-slim phone and you are sitting pretty good.

As iced tea this thing sucks, but as apple juice it is actually pretty good.
    Funny, I thought it was the other way around, when you sip Iced Tea thinking it's apple juice and spit it out because it tastes horrid. But then I'm not a tea drinker.

Anyways, people keep saying you can't compare it to laptops, but
    1) It's sized the same as a small laptop
    2) It costs more than a cheap laptop
    3) It weighs as much as an ultralight laptop

Only it lacks the functionality of a laptop. Sorry, but any of the actual positives you listed can be replicated by buying a laptop and installing Linux on it. And then you get all the additional functionality of a laptop.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Palm continues to amaze me. I thought that it was already out of feet, but it still managed to shoot itself. Someone put Palm out of their misery. WM5 has clearly won out.

I truly think that the average customer is going to be royally confused. If the nerds think it's supposed to be a laptop, what is the average dude going to think about this thing when he gets home and tries to fire up itunes, chat on yahoo messenger, or legally fileshare?
    I am not a Palm employee. I don't even carry a Treo any more. I had my Treo 600 for years and then went to the PPC 6700 when the 650 failed to impress me. I am just your average tech geek who is looking at the folio from a different angle. Honestly, a subnotebook will run you upwards of $2,000. I currently use a SONY VAIO SRX-77 Pentium IIIm as my dedicated ultra-portable wireless internet device. I paid $2000 for it when I bought it almost 6 years ago and it still is more than powerful enough for surfing the web. However, if it were to break today, I don't think I would want to shell out $2500 for Sony's newest ultra-portable core-2 duo just so it could choke its self on Ario Glass, nor would I want to get some 8-pound clunker from DELL for $600. The only viable solution would be to go to eBay and look for another Sony SRX, but working units are getting harder and harder to find these days.
    This is utter crap. I can't believe Palm actually thought it was a good idea to waste our energy and anticipation for this ridiculous piece of tech. Sure, it's a good web tablet, but not good _enough_. Sorry Palm, sold all my Treos and PDAs and I'm posting this from my Nokia E61i. And I was hoping to go back to a sweet new Treo so I could use all the Palm apps I bought.

Guess they were all sunk costs now! I have lost all faith in Palm. Wake me up when we have Nokia Treos...ANYTHING that is not a corporate Palm product!
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    Anyone remember this? At least it had a touchscreen...

Sharp Mobilon TriPad PV-6000
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Yeah, but what happens when it's not either? In fact, they replaced your apple juice with someone's drug test sample? Warm and foamy...yum. That's the Foleo, IMO....warm and foamy....
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts

LOL, Haggar.
    I am not a Palm employee. I don't even carry a Treo any more. I had my Treo 600 for years and then went to the PPC 6700 when the 650 failed to impress me. I am just your average tech geek who is looking at the folio from a different angle. Honestly, a subnotebook will run you upwards of $2,000. I currently use a SONY VAIO SRX-77 Pentium IIIm as my dedicated ultra-portable wireless internet device. I paid $2000 for it when I bought it almost 6 years ago and it still is more than powerful enough for surfing the web. However, if it were to break today, I don't think I would want to shell out $2500 for Sony's newest ultra-portable core-2 duo just so it could choke its self on Ario Glass, nor would I want to get some 8-pound clunker from DELL for $600. The only viable solution would be to go to eBay and look for another Sony SRX, but working units are getting harder and harder to find these days.
    They should be paying you then.

Sorry, but nothing weighs 8 pounds anymore but super expensive Alienware desktop replacements that aren't meant to be portable. It's plenty easy to find laptops for well under $1,000 that are under 3 or 4 lbs, and gobs of them exist in the 5 lbs range. Nobody's forcing you to run Vista either. After you buy it just reformat and install Windows XP or Ubuntu or whatever you want.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    At best the fooleo (oops, foleo) will fill a need for a small group of people that will absolutely have to have it. For the rest of us (99%) we'll either use a laptop or just our smartphone.

It's sad because palm has lost its way. At one time they were cutting edge. Everything that Palm has done since the 650 has only been incrementally better (and in somes cases worse...ie. bluetooth connectivity).

Palm should really only have 2 phone models (palm os, windows os) and work to make them the best smartphones out there. Obviously, if one wants to be picky, they will actually have 4 (add cdma and gsm). Instead they keep adding models that just confuse the customer but don't show any real improvements/added features.

There is a reason why the marketplace is clamoring for the iphone and why so many treo users are jumping ship. Giving us the foleo isn't what we want.

It's not rocket science, but clearly palm doesn't have a clue.
    Maybe thats why this was so top secret and no leak from any source. It would've been bashed a long time ago adding to Palms reputation of great innovation. HA!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
    After this debacle, I doubt you will see any more Treos as Palm will be defunct.
    That is scary that we in reality will start to look at other options. For me it will not be a Iphone as I like Sprint and their data plans.

This would behoove Access to hit the market with their Own Linux Treo from HTC and show Palm some real innovation! The market is there! Palm is loosing it fast!!

How are they going to be able to market this device?????
    Last edited by Gas Man; 05/30/2007 at 07:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    Palm continues to amaze me. I thought that it was already out of feet, but it still managed to shoot itself. Someone put Palm out of their misery. WM5 has clearly won out.

I truly think that the average customer is going to be royally confused. If the nerds think it's supposed to be a laptop, what is the average dude going to think about this thing when he gets home and tries to fire up itunes, chat on yahoo messenger, or legally fileshare?
    Laughed a bunch on your post! But I do not like the Win Mobile, but that is me. Thanks for the laugh.
    Its not necessarily my nature to pile on, but here come a few critical thoughts of my own...

1) Palm let Hawkins work for years on this device? This is something a marketing team could sketch out in a couple days, hand off to engineering, make a few calls to Taiwan and have shipping in a matter of weeks.

2) The people over at Apple had to be watching the product launch and blowing milk out their noses.

3) I'd be most impressed if this device had a few intriguing features - one, a battery that lasted 6-8 hours, ran TCMP so I could watch movies on it while I flew without worrying about battery life, placed a microphone at the top of the screen so I could make calls on it while deployed like a laptop and allow me to make superclear speakerphone calls.

4) I maintain that the next big breakthrough in mobile computing will be the convergence of processor, memory, graphics card and OS that allows for ten hours of battery life WITHOUT a five pound battery...
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast