Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Now we know why there were no good rumors on this...

It's to booring and outdated to bother with. Who, if they needed the full keyboard and larger monitor, wouldn't just bring a laptop?..
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    Give me a foldable keyboard screen that can be closed up in a small package for a couple hundred bucks and we'll talk.
    Can't agree to this more! If it can somehow be folded up and be pocketable, then this is truly a revolutionary device. I agree to Hawkin's assessment that we need a bigger screen and a full-size keyboard. But coming up with another laptop - I mean "mobile companion" - IMHO is not a solution.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    WTF??? Why not just use a bluetooth folding keyboard and somehow tack one of those microprojectors I keep hearing about (not that I've heard of them integrated into anything yet, but we are talking about the 'bleeding edge' tech here... well, at least I was expecting something bleeding edge).

I mean, heck... slap a bigger processor, battery, ram, WiFi, and the projector thingy (technical term) on a treo. Yes, that'll make the treo bigger, but doesn't the whole package sound a bit more interesting than a non-laptop laptop?

And, for crying out loud, why isn't the software more interesting than "runs on linux" and being made for the bigger screen? Palm (or Plam... that gets funnier with each non-announcement they have) really could've had an announcement if this was integrated to basically a hosted version of your PIM... allowing a centrally located repository of your data that you could truly access and update via your Treo, the web, or your desktop apps. I mean... my gosh... you can see how the building blocks are there... Palm has been pushing their MyPalm site which is supposed to be all about you and your Palm device... they have their Palm Backup beta, which is all about storing a copy of your data on their servers (for a fee in the future, if I recall correctly). They have (had?) some expertise with conduits to the desktop and with remote synchronization.

I mean, this idea is so five years ago!!!

Ahhh... nothing beats letting a rant out.
    Who's flying this thing?
  4.    #24  
    Steve Jobs must have had to bite his lip from laughing as he waited to go onstage next.

Nice job, Palm. You invented an under-powered laptop with no usable applications that requires another $500 device to really get any use out of it.

Just liquidate your assets already and sell off what's left of this dying company. Put us out of our misery.
    Tony Ricciardi
    Owner
    www.MacSupport.com
  5.    #25  
    Can you say "Folly-Oh!"
    Tony Ricciardi
    Owner
    www.MacSupport.com
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    Can't agree to this more! If it can somehow be folded up and be pocketable, then this is truly a revolutionary device. I agree to Hawkin's assessment that we need a bigger screen and a full-size keyboard. But coming up with another laptop - I mean "mobile companion" - IMHO is not a solution.
    Indeed. I was too busy ranting to notice this well-stated sentiment.

Edit: (Credit also goes to letsgoflyers81's original statement)
    Last edited by snowbound; 05/30/2007 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Just realized the quote was just one back
    Who's flying this thing?
    they are probably trying to sell laptops to people who can't afford them. they are just trying to capture a new market whilst ignoring the booming smartphone market. is there a dvd/ cd drive, sd drive, a microphone, speakers, etc? can I use all my popular programs on it? this is truely pathetic. there is zero innovation here. and when can we expect treo 800 with wifi & world phone???
    Attach something like this to a foldable keyboard and you'd have a hit.
    Bahahaha, you guys rock! Man, this is a sad, sad device...
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    This picture really killed me:

This isn't pocketable. This isn't a 'companion'.

This is a freaking laptop. Without the capabilities.
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    This means the next Treo probably won't have a keyboard...
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    This picture really killed me:

This isn't pocketable. This isn't a 'companion'.

This is a freaking laptop. Without the capabilities.
    So...from across the room when you look at someone using this you'll see "w|ad" ??
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    Wow -- what an utter disappointment. I predict this will never actually hit the market. They will do a little market testing and realize that no one wants this.

Time to step down Mr. Hawkins.
    <a href="http://www.beergeek.com">Beergeek</a> - History: Newton>Pilot Pro>Visor (blue)>Pencil>Toshiba e740>Treo 300>Treo 600>Treo 650>Cingular 8125> <b>Treo 650</b>
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    Attach something like this to a foldable keyboard and you'd have a hit.
    That's exactly what I thought this would be before the official announcement. Boy were we wrong.

What a joke.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Incredible. Reagan era technology at it's finest. What's not quite a laptop and not quite a smart phone, and nowhere near as useful as the two? Give up? The Foleo!

I wouldn't use this thing to clean up after my dog. Congrats to all that shorted Palms stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
    So...from across the room when you look at someone using this you'll see "w|ad" ??
    All I can think of are responses that are "SO profound and disgusting that decorum prohibits listing them here"...

Who's flying this thing?
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    ... and it is not April 1st.
    1. This device will become most popular with mobile devices that don't actually have a keyboard like the Treo and don't share a large screen like the Treo. So the purpose of it complimenting the Treo will be lost on other devices that actually have more of a need for it then the Treo product line.

2. Because it's Linux based it will only be a matter of time before people in the community come up with a hacked version of the Palm Linux OS or a completely different distro to make the Foleo more usable as an independent laptop like device, which is what Palm should have done in the first place.

I don't think this product will do very well but I hope the next Treo incorporates the Linux OS and is a better product for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    1. This device will become most popular with mobile devices that don't actually have a keyboard like the Treo and don't share a large screen like the Treo. So the purpose of it complimenting the Treo will be lost on other devices that actually have more of a need for it then the Treo product line.
    Why would they buy this when they could get a real notebook that has 500x the functionality for the same price (or cheaper)?
    2. Because it's Linux based it will only be a matter of time before people in the community come up with a hacked version of the Palm Linux OS or a completely different distro to make the Foleo more usable as an independent laptop like device, which is what Palm should have done in the first place.
    Sorry, not gonna happen. The community has to actually own the device to be motivated to make software for it. Nobody's going to develop anything for a device nobody owns.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    What a load of $%!%. I can get a perfectly good Dell Laptop for $499. Then I can buy the chepest possible EVDO enbled phone for much less than the price of the Treo and be able to do 10 times more than what this can do. I mean, it feels counter productive. People by the Treo BECAUSE they don't want to lug something bigger around.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast