Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It's a nice idea but it has been done before (laptop). It's definitely NOT something upon which a company should stake its exisistence...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Introducing The Folio Killer: The sub-$400 laptop (no rebate required).
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Introducing The Folio Killer: The sub-$400 laptop (no rebate required).
    5.3 lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    5.3 lbs.
    So what? At 2.5 pounds the Foleo is still too big and heavy to be truly portable (certainly not gonna fit in your pocket). As long as you have to have a bag for it or keep it in the car or whatever the difference between 2.5 and 5 lbs is a non-issue. Especially considering the cost and functionality (or lack thereof - no Flash video for instance).
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    So what? At 2.5 pounds the Foleo is still too big and heavy to be truly portable (certainly not gonna fit in your pocket). As long as you have to have a bag for it or keep it in the car or whatever the difference between 2.5 and 5 lbs is a non-issue. Especially considering the cost and functionality (or lack thereof - no Flash video for instance).
    If you travel a lot, 5 lbs can be quite painful.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts

If you travel a lot - not having a DVD player to waste away time can be painful too...
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    So spend a couple hundred $$ more on a lighter laptop, and you're still within the Foleo's pricerange.

If you travel alot, you're likely not carrying just your laptop bag, either. If 5 lbs is too heavy, stick it on your luggage until you need it.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Does it come with a pair of glasses, a wrist watch and a car key!? If so I might be interested
    Last edited by Hicks; 05/30/2007 at 01:58 PM.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Not impressed with the Folio, maybe some will have a use for it, but to replace a laptop it needs to be able to handle multimedia (Flash 9 level stuff as a minimum).

I have a Sharp MM20 laptop. It is almost 3 years old. It weighs 2lbs with a 3-4 hour battery. It weighs 2.5 pounds with a 8-9 hour battery. It has a 10.4" LCD that displays millions of colors. It has WiFi and a pcmica slot. It can handle DivX video and FlashPlayer9. I run Linux on it, but it came stock with WindowsXP. It cost $1500 when it was new, last time you could by it new it cost $599 (about 1 year ago).

I have a more powerful, lighter, almost equal sized, fuller featured laptop than the folio already in hand. That's sad, my tech is over 3 years old.
    Last edited by D-Caf; 05/30/2007 at 02:52 PM.
    Oh, and mine can sync with my Treo, but I'll give in, it's not real-time
    So spend a couple hundred $$ more on a lighter laptop, and you're still within the Foleo's pricerange.
    For a 2 lb notebook? Try $1000 to $3000 more.

If you travel alot, you're likely not carrying just your laptop bag, either. If 5 lbs is too heavy, stick it on your luggage until you need it.
    Or buy a 2 lb notebook for $500.

Look, I'm not a big fan of the Foleo, but a lot of the complaints about it are just plain silly. There's a big difference between a 2 lb device and a 5 lb device. There's a big difference between paying $500 and paying $1500.

This device isn't for everyone. But I believe there will be plenty of people who need it. Many years ago, I used to bring a $2500, 5 lb laptop on business trips just so I could check my email. That was awful enough that I left it at home whenever I felt it wasn't absolutely necessary. I now use my Treo for that. But recently, I had to review a pdf document on my Treo, and it was tedious; so I can appreciate that some people have a need for a larger screen.
    I'd rather government employees had something like this to lose instead of laptops with gigabytes worth of personal information.

Tom
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12