Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    NEW YORK, May 30 (Reuters) - Palm Inc. PALM on Wednesday introduced a compact portable computer aimed at helping business travelers better manage their e-mail and documents on the go without the bulk of carrying a laptop PC.
    The "Foleo," a 2.5-pound device that Palm calls a "smartphone companion," boasts a 10-inch screen, full keyboard and built-in wireless technology, which can aid users who need to manage data sent and received on their phones.
    Palm, best known for personal digital assistants (PDAs) and Treo phones, said it expects the Foleo to eventually work with rival smartphones such as Research In Motion's RIM.TO RIMM Blackberry and Apple Inc.'s AAPL iPhone, although it has not discussed technology-sharing agreements with those companies.
    Company founder Jeff Hawkins said he expected unit sales of Foleo -- priced at $599 before a $100 rebate beginning this summer -- to be smaller than Treo units sales at first.
    ((Reporting by Franklin Paul, editing by Phil Berlowitz; Reuters Messaging: Franklin.Paul.reuters.com@reuters.net; email Franklin.Paul.reuters.com; Tel: +1 646 223 6195))
    Keywords: PALM DEVICE/

Wed May 30 17:31:09 2007 -GMT- pnac (nN30482701) =
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Yup, its front page on Palm's site now.

Linky: http://www.palm.com/us/products/mobilecompanion/foleo/
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    dumb question, but this looks like a laptop computer.
    What is the advantage?
    If you have to Foleo and and your Treo....why not carry a laptop and your Treo.
    I'm confused.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    IMHO - Palm should have released the Treo 700p MR before announcing new hardware that is a work with the 700p. I for one is not, was not ever intersted in this type of device.

Give me a smartphone that WORKS!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    dumb question, but this looks like a laptop computer.
    What is the advantage?
    If you have to Foleo and and your Treo....why not carry a laptop and your Treo.
    I'm confused.
    No advantage whatsoever. For the same price as a laptop, you get something the same size as a laptop, slightly lighter than a laptop, with a small fraction of the functionality.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    hmm
    A palm laptop that uses my defective treo as a basis for doing stuff. Hawk should have designed a new phone that works.
    Ive already got a laptop that can do all that plus a ton more and its not much bigger.
    If this is where palm R&D has gone I guess we better start looking at other companies.
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    This is another Edsel, New Coke, etc.
    Why would I spend $500 for what is basically a laptop?
    Why would I bother synching my Treo to my laptop?
    Unless you're a traveling salesperson, who is going to use this?
    2.5 pounds??? My three year-old Panasonic W2 is 2.7 pounds, with full Windows (non)functionality, a 12" screen and a built-in optical drive. Or, you can buy a sub-three-pound Lenova even today for $1200...

Who's going to spend $500 for that thing?
    I am really sad today isn't April 1st, because this would've been a fabulous hoax.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    The Foleo will be open architecture (according to Corrigan's interview on CNBC), so it, presumably, will be able to be used with BlackBerries, etc.
    He stressed that it is 'instant on' and there is no applications to load. It is like a Treo...with a large screen and keyboard.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    I'm sorry but this is the most pathetic announcement I've ever seen. I thought the whole point of mobility was the one device concept. Who the heck is going to buy this thing?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    It's a let down, yet again. The idea is good, but unfortunately a few years too late. We all carry laptops with us around. Alptops that have WiFi and full access to whatever we desire. Our Treo was the companion.

Now shifting to making the Treo the centerpiece is just not good. A crippled BT experience will make things hard. A "laptop" that is not a laptop, since you need to carry the two pieces to have everything functional.

I can't see why is this a good idea. Perhaps I am biased by the fact mobile computing is getting affordable these days and full-featured laptops are almost accessible by anyone who wants one.

Sad day indeed. I expected a groundbreaking announcement, I got dissapointment. Yet again.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Archie just flushed upstairs.

Hey Edith, get me a freakin beer!!!
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsdmems View Post
    Who's going to spend $500 for that thing?
    In the UK, that will end up as $1000, using the usual exchange rate!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    In the UK, that will end up as $1000, using the usual exchange rate!
    Are you kidding? Like they'll even get a distributer to sell the thing over there. It'll be lucky to ever see the light of day.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Hands down the stupidest thing I have ever seen.... WOW!!! OMFG!! I am soooooo jumping ****. F*ck I wont even grab the life jacket... WOW!
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e2chris View Post
    Hands down the stupidest thing I have ever seen.... WOW!!! OMFG!! I am soooooo jumping ****. F*ck I wont even grab the life jacket... WOW!
    Jumping Ship is a swear??
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    HTC, please give me a Treo form-factor device with GPS. I predict that HTC will get it right with their "next big thing" on the 5th.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Yeah my Dell Lattitude X-1 is in the same weight category.

I want to carry one thing not 2.

Hmmmm. Wallet stays in pocket.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    does anybody here remember the audrey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast