Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I can _almost_ run my life from my 750. It wouldn't take too much to get it there, either. That's what is so depressing.

I keep thinking that Marc Blank is a smart guy and wouldn't willingly and knowingly step into a pile of poo. Thus he must have seen more promise in the upcoming products from Palm. I'm hoping anyway.

I feel like Orphan Annie. "Tomorrow, tomorrow . . . . "
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I have an e61 and there is nothing about the foleo that would make me switch back to palm.

Most of my nomadic work is on a day to day basis and the e61 covers me nicely for that time period and it fits in my pocket.

For longer than a day, well I want to take my laptop...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize
    It seems that upwards of 70% of the positive comments are from members with less than 5 posts.
    Most new members are negative about the Foleo.
    In what way are these statements contradictory? All classes of member have been negative overall, the question is where the odd positive comments have come from.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    i hav no respect for woman that lets husband decide what she can hav and not have...please welcome to 2007. By the way if repair is such the crutial factor... by a dell with 3 year complete care. i don't get how buying this toy is an answer to anything.
    lol....I think my post may have made it sound like he controls me. When you are in a relationship you have to make choices that each partner is happy with. His opinion is that a desktop is better than a laptop due to the cheaper nature of parts and self repair being easier. I agree with him in theory....but I still want a laptop so as I can sit in the lounge....so head tells me one thing but I want something else. I had made a big deal about the Foleo to him and hyped it all up....yes we all heard the hype....and it is not what I expected...but it actually might do what I use my laptop for....so I could end up being able to have the best of both worlds. I actually do not know if I will get one yet though....am I contradicting myself? Maybe I sound like I am but I am still trying to weigh up the options and there are still unanswered questions that I have about the Foleo.

Laptop is now just over the 3 year mark anyway....so time for something new, Foleo & desktop or laptop is the question. I love my toys.
    Foleo - now I know why you can't find Palm branded folding keyboards - they are charging $USD 500 for them with a 10" screen.

I think I would just get the bluetooth keyboard and I have an instant Troleo!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    In what way are these statements contradictory? All classes of member have been negative overall, the question is where the odd positive comments have come from.
    OK, sorry. I'll contradict it directly. The statement that more than 70% of positive comments are from new members is false.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I am a new member who joined specifically to weigh in on this thread. I do not work for Palm nor have I ever met anyone who does or ever has.

I have purchased the following palm devices:
    1. Pilot 1000
    2. Pilot 5000
    3. Palm V
    4. Sony Clie (forgot model #)
    5. Sony Clie (lost the first one)
    6. Treo 650

Then I wrote a letter to Palm, my first letter to a corporation in my entire life, saying that I was not planning to buy any more Palm products because Windows has caused me too much inconvenience and I was appalled that they switched to Windows Mobile after the 650.

Now I have to eat my words. I will buy this thing because it is now the smallest non-Windows machine with VGA out for presentations. There are many times I would leave my Macbook Pro at home and take this instead.

Count Bugula can't tell the difference between 2.5 lbs and 5.3 lbs (the size of a laptop with equivalent cost)! The good news is that I have a diet plan that's guaranteed to work as far as you know!

Count Bugula can't tell the difference between $500 and $1500 (the cost of a laptop with equivalent size)! The good news is you can send me $1500: I'll send back $500 and you won't mind!

Count Bugula can't tell the difference between 7" and 10" (the difference between this display and a UMPC display)! Well, this is bad news for Count Bugula's wife! Oh, well!

Count Bugula can't tell the difference between a keyboard that's attached to the display and can therefore be used in a standing position and a detached keyboard that requires me to leave the line at the ticket counter and go and sit down.

I once knew a chemist who created bug sprays. He lamented that he knew more effective ways to get rid of bugs, but they wouldn't sell because the public wanted bugs to do backflips while they die! He felt that consumers were too stupid to understand real solutions to real problems and instead wanted instant flash. That's what I'm seeing from people like Count Bugula. You want a glamorous solution to the problem of mobile computing. You don't understand a real solution when you see it. I would rather have Hawkins around than a hundred of Count Bugula. When it comes to dealing with the problems of bugs, Count Bugula keeps spraying Raid and slapping himself silly every summer!
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    i hav no respect for woman that lets husband decide what she can hav and not have...please welcome to 2007.
    You probably have no respect for a woman who is still married after all these years either. Welcome to 2007, the generation that is so self-centered and DIY, that broken homes outnumber the still attached ones. Our children spend an entire lifetime trying to figure out the "spaghetti-diagram" of a family tree due to everyones selfish "freedoms". I always love how the "liberated-free-thinkers" become so contorted when another person exercises their own (but different) free-thoughts. What a hypocritical joke.

Milly, thanks for showing some character and yielding to the concerns and needs of the person that you committed to for life. That's the kind of character that both partners must exercise to have long term success. Healthy generations depend on such.

Now, can we get outta this sociological diversion and back to the possible Foleological disaster at hand?
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by millydog View Post
    My husband told me that he would not allow me to get another laptop due to the cost of repair when we looked at getting the DVD-ROM fixed.
    Dang! Im moving to Australia
    zorg, you made my day. One of the best posts I have ever read.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Ok. Disclaimer first. I am not a PALM employee nor have I ever worked for PALM. I am a former "dotcommie" who has since become e Real Estate Investor. I AM a self professed Treo addict and email addict. I have had Palm Vx, Treo 270 and Treo 650. I also own a laptop.

Most of my work time is at my desk using the Laptop (17" Screen) via a wireless keyboard and mouse and viewing it on a 21" monitor. It stays at the office 95% of the time when I am in-town as I also use it for WinFax.(I HATE and cannot afford efax etc due to volume of faxes), and I have a TREO 650. When I am not in the office I am accessing PDF's and MS Office docs and spreadsheets and checking email and surfing on my TREO. I don't use the Treo for music/video as I have a Video IPod. I do need to access my company server from my treo but there is not a good solution out there based upon connection speeds so sometime I have to bring along the laptop. I have been thinking about buying another Linux Laptop to keep in my briefcase for the times when I need a full sized keyboard, screen and access to server. Based upon my work habits I these are my thoughts.

Upon first glance I thought the Foleo was a FLOP! I could find no good reason to buy this thing. I read the Hawkins interview and looked at all of the specs and tried to see if I could understand where this idea come from and where PALM was headed. This morning it finally came to me. Granted this might just be me finding a way to use a new gadget but then again maybe not.

As I write this I am out of town and will be accessing my Server and of course checking and returning emails, working on docs and surfing the web. I have my laptop with me so my faxes are being received by my HP Multi function printer/fax and will be there when I get home. I have my trusty 650 with me so that I don't have to boot up the laptop constantly just to check email and review a quick file. So if I had a Folio how would this trip be different?

I would have left my Gateway M680 at home on the desk. This is NOT a lightweight laptop as I bought it as a desktop replacement. I would have brought the Folio instead. Why? Now there is no reason for my to buy a lightweight laptop or any additional laptop now. If I REALLY need a laptop I have one I can lug along. I like a full sized keyboard but I really like a full sized screen when reviewing real estate settlement statements and contracts. The small screen works in a pinch but sucks compared to a full sized screen. The Folio addresses this need for me.

I can now, finally access the internet via WiFi with my Treo/Folio combo. I could not do that before without a Sled or buying a new Windoze Mobile OS TREO (That is not gunna' happen!) With web based file access services like Avvenu and Laplink Everywhere I can still access my Server but now at faster speeds via wifi if available other wise via Treo on GSM network. This means anywhere in the world too. I have access to all of my work files, I can read/edit on Folio and send back via email client. So far this "improves" my mobile work habits. I get a full sized keyboard and monitor with the "instant-on" benefits of my Treo. So far so good. With the MyTreo service from PALM I will bet I have access to the files on my Treo too.

Problems still left to solve for me. Remote access to my WinFax files on my Laptop. Avvenu does not work like gotomypc or Driveway. However since the folio is Linux based I am optimistic that we may see a raft of great programs available on the folio in the future such as:
    Parallels - Windoze Virtual Machine for Linux
    NoMachine - A remote PC access client which works better/faster than RDP

Additional "bonuses" from the Folio.
    - WORKS WITH MORE THAN JUST TREO: Think of the value. If you go to windoze mobile phone , or soon RIM, no need to buy new hardware for full sized keyboard etc.
    - Allows PALM to look at new form factors for TREO line: No need to have to always think about screen and thumbpad
    - No need to upgrade with each new phone
    - With Linux you have a ton of developers who could create apps for this device such as a new PIM.
    - Upgrades to OS can be done very easily to add new applications.

Will I run out an buy one immediately upon availability? I am not sure. The price still worries me ($299 or less would make this a no-brainer) and I want to fully test the browser base server access/file transfer 1st but I am a lot more optimistic about buying the Folio than I was at launch.
    Last edited by BigTex; 06/03/2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typo
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    II do not work for Palm nor have I ever met anyone who does or ever has.
    Oh, well then I believe you. Why else would you want to wade in to defend an average, run-of-the-mill, marketing disaster as your first post on these boards after years of loyal Palm customership? Palm's heavy-handedness with this misinformation campaign is really lame.

I will buy this thing because it is now the smallest non-Windows machine with VGA out for presentations.
    I guess you weren't aware that any Windows machine can be made into an equivalent Linux machine at no additional cost? Except it would be a fully functioning Linux machine, not like the Foleo. And you could buy it used for cheap. I guess Jeff didn't know that either since that's basically what he's done: Purchase cheap, common hardware, add a free OS, then try to sell it like it's the second coming. Clever!

...the difference between 2.5 lbs and 5.3 lbs
    Why go even that heavy? You think 2.5 lbs is light? That's the best Palm could do with its minimalist hardware and software? Ten inch displays weigh maybe 8 ounces and the keyboard is another 3 ounces. Batteries? 5 ounces. Are you saying the cheap (but oh-so-innovatively ribbed) case and whopping memory in this machine weigh over 1.5 pounds combined? The first cast-iron laptop case in history! Impressive!

...the difference between $500 and $1500
    Even when you can get so much more than a Foleo for $500 either new (and equally low quality) or used and higher quality? Progressive!

...the difference between 7" and 10" (the difference between this display and a UMPC display)...
    Yeah what a waste. The useless 7" screen will fit into many small carrying cases (like a note folio, ironically) while the 10" makes a lot more sense by requiring a laptop case/briefcase, just like...a laptop! Ingenious!

...the difference between a keyboard that's attached to the display and can therefore be used in a standing position and a detached keyboard that requires me to leave the line at the ticket counter and go and sit down.
    You're going to stand in line at the ticket counter, typing on a laptop you're juggling with one hand while attempting to type with the other? I think you just made one of the biggest cases for a thumboard I've ever heard. Adaptable!

I once knew a chemist who created bug sprays...
    You couldn't think of a more pointless analogy? Jeff Hawkins completely misread the marketplace with this product. It carries no buzz. It captures no imagination. It has no distinction that carries it above dozens of products in the same class. You can keep trying to point out all of it's "revolutionary" attributes, but the price-performance point of this device, in any imaginable use case, just falls short of so much other stuff in the marketplace. Stuff that is already overcrowding the place Jeff Hawkins is trying to enter. Stuff that is meeting with the kind of success you expect in an overcrowded, average-performance marketplace. I'm surprised he didn't announce the Segway II...now with wifi and BT! Original!

A more appropriate analogy would be a new car model. A whole new class of car that fits neatly between the compact and the standard class of cars. Oh sure, it still seats four, burns gas, has all the same options as every other compact and standard-sized car, but this one is indispensable because...it has a smaller, less efficient engine, runs on a different octane, and requires you to tow along a super-sub-compact for it to work correctly. But it's cheaper...sort of. Unprecedented!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    A more appropriate analogy would be a new car model. A whole new class of car that fits neatly between the compact and the standard class of cars. Oh sure, it still seats four, burns gas, has all the same options as every other compact and standard-sized car, but this one is indispensable because...it has a smaller, less efficient engine, runs on a different octane, and requires you to tow along a super-sub-compact for it to work correctly. But it's cheaper...sort of. Unprecedented!

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Appropriate??? Hardly. Just because you don't see the need for a foleo, it doesn't mean that the product isn't wanted. I think the minivan is fugly and and totally useless I have never bought one and will never buy one, but this doesn't mean that minivan is not a viable product for other people out there.

I can never understand why my wife spends hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollar on designer bags and shoes. They don't look too different from the ones at Target. Heck, they sure serve the purpose. Last time I checked, LV, Coach, Gucci, and Jimmy Choo were all still in business, much to my dismay
    I think I see the point, but I don't entirely agree with it, myself.

See, I've been an ultramobile addict since back in the day when it was a niche market. I've had Toshiba repair shops tell me that my Libretto 110CT, a Pentium-based palmtop running Windows 2000, was a WinCE device. (That shop is now out of business.)

I like the idea of having a phone that carries *everything,* and does 90% of everything, since it means that I *can* go out without a laptop.

I don't like any laptop that actually requires me to *decide* if I need to bring it today. The Libretto filled that role perfectly. It had enough battery life (with the high-capacity battery and an aggressive sleep mode setup,) to last through anything that took me from my desk. Sadly, the Libretto's time has come and gone. It lacks onboard Bluetooth, Wifi, USB, Firewire, Ethernet, and so on. I can't continue carrying a million PCMCIA cards.

The Foleo, of course, comes awfully close. It's thin, it's light, and it's small. The problem is, it's not enough of these. I'm certain that the 10" display was picked because they wanted the keys to be a certain size. It has a reasonable battery life, as most people *aren't* working for more than 5 hours away from a desk.

However, just like the Treo does 90% of what I need, the Foleo does 95%. It adds Remote Desktop and wifi to the mix. It adds a usable browser. It lacks a fully read/create/edit Office equivalent, a few key ports (Ethernet comes to mind,) and it's big enough to require something akin to a laptop bag.

Meanwhile, there's the HTC Shift, the Fujitsu U8240, the Kohjinsha SA-1, and so on. Yes, they're more expensive. However, they're smaller, still have somewhat usable keyboards, and add touchscreen capability and enough CPU to run damned near any application. Additionally, your data is a HotSync away, just Palm had intended from day one. If you want a similar size device, there's the Fujitsu P1610.

For me, the Foleo doesn't add enough. It fills a middleground between a full PC and a Treo that I don't need to fill. I need a full PC with enough power to live off of, and a Treo that does most of that. I might take the sub-miniature PC to and from work every day, but the Treo's the only thing I should *need* to take to lunch. When I'm going somewhere that might involve a chance to sit down and do nothing, THEN I need a mobile PC, and the Foleo just falls a little short.

That said, I'm a power user, even amongst Treo owners. I don't represent the global market. I'm part of a niche of crazies who use smartphones and workstations, and need to bridge the gap in favor of the workstation, not the smartphone.

Most average people aren't as crazy as I am. Most average people just need to expand upon the smartphone a *little bit,* as they can do everything else when they get back to a desktop. The Foleo provides that expansion, and for $500. $500 will not get you anything else that is both as capable and as portable as the Foleo. It can get you something MORE capable, yes, but at the cost of portability. It can get you something more portable, but at the cost of capabilities. The only devices that match or exceed the Foleo's spec on both parts of the equation are significantly more expensive.

I can easily find a dozen people who need more than a smartphone, but less than a laptop. I'll just never be one of them.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234