Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 75
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion View Post
    I'm amazed that there are still two or three Palm fanboys left that are defending these guys...Wow.

    But I've said it before, Hawkins could pull one of his dookies out of a toilet, give it a name, and there would still be people who would fall over themselves to get one...
    Naw, even the self-proclaimed Palm fanboys are saying this is junk and how disappointed they are in it.

    I really think the only ones actually defending it are the Palm employees.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  2. #42  
    If these are the consequences of mobile computing, then I don't want mobile computing anymore.

    Palm is trying to pull a fast one on us. I, for one, wouldn't buy this even after it flops and is on woot.com in 1.5 years for $100. I wouldn't want to split my data b/w a laptop, foleo, and a smartphone and a desktop.
  3. #43  
    Looks like a nice device, the problem is the price. When we see full laptops for $600, things like the classmate for $200 and the Apple TV for $300, $500 for a sub-powered sub-laptop is too much. If they announced it was $300, there'd be more enthusiasm; for $300, I'd feel like it was a good value even if I only used it a few times a week.
  4. #44  
    I mean, how much was the Audrey?
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerome View Post
    Looks like a nice device, the problem is the price. When we see full laptops for $600, things like the classmate for $200 and the Apple TV for $300, $500 for a sub-powered sub-laptop is too much. If they announced it was $300, there'd be more enthusiasm; for $300, I'd feel like it was a good value even if I only used it a few times a week.
    How about $399 for a laptop?

    You're right though. At this price range there is no market for this device.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    This Foleo thing is good news for Treo fans because we can finally move from denial to acceptance -- the Treo is an EOL product because its maker has run out of good ideas. I will enjoy and use my Treos but fully expect the next useful device in my life to come from someone other than Palm, Inc.

    The Foleo is like Michael Jordan coming out of retirement one more time.

    I may try the
    BB 8830 coming out next month from Sprint! I believe that RIM is going to come out with more software to war against the Treo's but the battle is far from won!
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion View Post
    I'm amazed that there are still two or three Palm fanboys left that are defending these guys...Wow.

    But I've said it before, Hawkins could pull one of his dookies out of a toilet, give it a name, and there would still be people who would fall over themselves to get one...
    And they`d call it an upgrade too...
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    For all of you Foleo bashers and Treo lovers, don't you see that the introduction of the Foleo will free Palm to push the design envelope for the Treo, bringing us sleeker and sexier devices? Qwerty-less flip phones, ultra-small candy-bar phones, etc?

    Palm has recently said we'll see new smartphone form factors, and that a Treo a year from now will look very different from the Treo of today. The Foleo will allow this to happen, yet will still provide a large screen and full keyboard for the times when you need it. It's an ultra-portable laptop replacement smartphone companion. Now you can have that ultra small Treo smartphone from Palm without making too many sacrifices.

    Brian
    Seriously... who cares! Folio doesn't do squat for me! I have a laptop. I have a desktop. I have a Treo. I'm done! I'm mobile, semi-mobile, and have a great back bone to support them both with the desktop. I don't need another thingy to charge and look at the web. Palm should have spent the money developing the OS. I'd like my Treo to have proper bluetooth audio, Address the biggest of SD cards available, and multitasking in the OS. Bring it closer to the iPhone, but don't dare get rid of my QWERTY!
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    That is likely to be the main take-away for us Treo fans today. The good stuff is just around the corner.
    Well if that is the case then he got it A$$-backwards. He should have come out with the killer iPhone-killer, and when they say "but where is the keyboard" he says "That's where this other product, the Foleo" comes in.

    I don't think he has anything in his back pocket. He's clutching at straws. Otherwise the smart move would have been to introduce this side-by-side with a different form factor for a phone (Heck, you could have a watch for a phone, a bluetooth earpiece, virtual glasses if you want a big screen, and the Foleo if you need a big screen and a full keyboard.) Foleo would be an enabling device, not a friggin' 3rd product that will enable some vaporware at some uncertain future date.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    This Foleo thing is good news for Treo fans because we can finally move from denial to acceptance -- the Treo is an EOL product because its maker has run out of good ideas. I will enjoy and use my Treos but fully expect the next useful device in my life to come from someone other than Palm, Inc.

    The Foleo is like Michael Jordan coming out of retirement one more time.
    OUCH!! But sadly, this is starting to look like our grim reality...
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by halabar View Post
    Umm... do you work for Palm?
    No.
  12. #52  
    I have a 3yo laptop that is on it's last legs. It takes ages to boot up and IE hangs on me often, plus the DVD-ROM doesn't work. I use it just for email and web browsing.
    My husband told me that he would not allow me to get another laptop due to the cost of repair when we looked at getting the DVD-ROM fixed. The repair cost would have been half the cost of a newer and faster machine. Instead he said that I can have a desktop. I agreed that it would be more cost effective for a better machine....but I also got him to agree to letting me get the Foleo when it is released even though I was not aware of it's features yet...just incase I wanted to get one. He agreed. (BTW, I do not rely on him for an income...I am a Software Engineer and he is also in IT).
    The reason I liked to have a laptop was to use from my loungeroom chair to surf the internet and read email while watching TV. Since I am not 'allowed' another laptop...the Foleo will do quite nicely. I can have a desktop for the graphic intense work, large PC games and for those days that I work from home. I can then have the Foleo for use in work meetings, on holidays and for my daily web browsing, emails and competition entries that I do from my armchair. I anticipate that I would use the WiFi connection mostly since I have WiFi at home and at work, but could use the Treo with the Foleo when on holidays or if my husband's train is late and I must wait a while at the station before picking him up (it's a common occurance).
    So, I am excited by the possibilities of the Foleo.
    I am disappointed that many others do not feel the same way. I know that the first release will be a first generation but I believe that it will continue to improve and evolve. I would love to see a version with a touch screen and 32GB flash.
    I am so pleased to see that it has WiFi. I also think that it is a great idea to not ship it with a GSM or CDMA radio since it means that less versions will be required and also because it will make the device easier available for use in different countries with different radio technologies. It can make use of the data capabilities of your Treo and therefore allow you to keep just one phone contract.

    So, I am happy. I am sure that there should be more happy people out there. Too many just concentrate on negative aspects and do not look at the positives.

    And....no, I do not work for Palm....and I am not a fanboy either since I am female.
    Last edited by millydog; 05/30/2007 at 11:28 PM.
  13. #53  
    Insertion said...
    <<I'm amazed that there are still two or three Palm fanboys left that are defending these guys...Wow.

    But I've said it before, Hawkins could pull one of his dookies out of a toilet, give it a name, and there would still be people who would fall over themselves to get one...>>

    Especially if the Dookie has wi-fi, an SD card slot, and comes with soft-touch paint in purty colors!

    If a lot cheaper, there may be some place for this device, but at $500, I don't think so.
    "Everybody Palm!"

    Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    I really think the only ones actually defending it are the Palm employees.
    You live in your own fantasy world, just making stuff up.
  15. Dim-Ize's Avatar
    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Naw, even the self-proclaimed Palm fanboys are saying this is junk and how disappointed they are in it.

    I really think the only ones actually defending it are the Palm employees.
    I tend to think along the same lines as you.

    It seems that upwards of 70% of the positive comments are from members with less than 5 posts.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by millydog View Post
    I have a 3yo laptop that is on it's last legs. It takes ages to boot up and IE hangs on me often, plus the DVD-ROM doesn't work. I use it just for email and web browsing.
    My husband told me that he would not allow me to get another laptop due to the cost of repair when we looked at getting the DVD-ROM fixed. The repair cost would have been half the cost of a newer and faster machine. Instead he said that I can have a desktop. I agreed that it would be more cost effective for a better machine....but I also got him to agree to letting me get the Foleo when it is released even though I was not aware of it's features yet...just incase I wanted to get one. He agreed. (BTW, I do not rely on him for an income...I am a Software Engineer and he is also in IT).
    The reason I liked to have a laptop was to use from my loungeroom chair to surf the internet and read email while watching TV. Since I am not 'allowed' another laptop...the Foleo will do quite nicely. I can have a desktop for the graphic intense work, large PC games and for those days that I work from home. I can then have the Foleo for use in work meetings, on holidays and for my daily web browsing, emails and competition entries that I do from my armchair. I anticipate that I would use the WiFi connection mostly since I have WiFi at home and at work, but could use the Treo with the Foleo when on holidays or if my husband's train is late and I must wait a while at the station before picking him up (it's a common occurance).
    So, I am excited by the possibilities of the Foleo.
    I am disappointed that many others do not feel the same way. I know that the first release will be a first generation but I believe that it will continue to improve and evolve. I would love to see a version with a touch screen and 32GB flash.
    I am so pleased to see that it has WiFi. I also think that it is a great idea to not ship it with a GSM or CDMA radio since it means that less versions will be required and also because it will make the device easier available for use in different countries with different radio technologies. It can make use of the data capabilities of your Treo and therefore allow you to keep just one phone contract.

    So, I am happy. I am sure that there should be more happy people out there. Too many just concentrate on negative aspects and do not look at the positives.

    And....no, I do not work for Palm....and I am not a fanboy either since I am female.

    Its funny, I have mixed feelings. I felt much like the woman who posted above, but at the same time, I'm so dissapointed in the lack of a wow factor.

    I like the idea of having a small laptop to surf the web and read emails at home in front of the TV. Its also going to be lighter than my work laptop, so that's a plus for travel.

    On the other hand, it won't be able to do much more that read MS docs and surf the internet. Do I really need to spend $500 for that?

    I'm really at a loss here.
    Sprint Treos 300->600->650->700p
    Sprint Pre
    Virgin Optimus V
    ATT Galaxy Skyrocket (current)
  17. #57  
    i hav no respect for woman that lets husband decide what she can hav and not have...please welcome to 2007. By the way if repair is such the crutial factor... by a dell with 3 year complete care. i don't get how buying this toy is an answer to anything.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize View Post
    I tend to think along the same lines as you.

    It seems that upwards of 70% of the positive comments are from members with less than 5 posts.
    Im sitting here (on my REAL laptop) reading all the Foleo posts and Im seeing all these new members, also members Ive never seen posts from and wondering...

    Self?

    Coincidence?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    The Foleo is like Michael Jordan coming out of retirement one more time.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    ...to play Baseball.
    Between the engadget comments, the posts on gizmodo, and now gems like this one-two treocentral combo, I haven't had this many laughs in a long time. The treo/palm commenting crowd definitely knows how to dish out quality humor. Bravo!

    But seriously, as an original Treo 180 owner and faithful upgrader ever since, I'm trying to find the ray of light in this announcement...but I just don't see it. The linux element is intriguing, and instant on sounds great. But beyond that it's a real stretch for me to see how Hawkins can honestly call this the most exciting product he's ever worked on. What does he know that the rest of the community is so completely oblivious to? Perhaps that he still has a ****-load of Palm shares to unload?

    Price to weight ratio is above avg, but not great. In today's world a device that can't do youtube videos??? And, bottom line, like so many others have said I'm looking to completely ditch my laptop and use a single, pocketable device as often as possible.

    I would so much have rather seen Hawkins, etc. all focus on a Treo that can hang with the iPhone etc. all. Sadly, after almost five years with the Treo family (and much longer with Palm) I sense this journey might be coming to an end. I'm open to being convinced otherwise, but today's underwhelming announcement has not instilled confidence...
    Last edited by ghileman; 05/31/2007 at 01:21 AM.
    Off to iPhone land...
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize View Post
    I tend to think along the same lines as you.

    It seems that upwards of 70% of the positive comments are from members with less than 5 posts.
    Most new members are negative about the Foleo.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions