Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This Foleo thing is good news for Treo fans because we can finally move from denial to acceptance -- the Treo is an EOL product because its maker has run out of good ideas. I will enjoy and use my Treos but fully expect the next useful device in my life to come from someone other than Palm, Inc.

The Foleo is like Michael Jordan coming out of retirement one more time.
    You know it's a dud product when folks predisposed to like a product from Palm can only get excited with logic along the lines of: "Maybe this product indicates that an actually useful or innovative product will come in the future!"

Admittedly, I can stretch myself to imagine this being a useful peripheral for a few road warriors that don't want the extra pound or two that a subnotebook would cost 'em, but I bet most folks will opt for a full fledged subnote on which you can load any software you need.

This is the Palm equivalent of Apple's iPod HiFi announcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    For all of you Foleo bashers and Treo lovers, don't you see that the introduction of the Foleo will free Palm to push the design envelope for the Treo, bringing us sleeker and sexier devices? Qwerty-less flip phones, ultra-small candy-bar phones, etc?

Palm has recently said we'll see new smartphone form factors, and that a Treo a year from now will look very different from the Treo of today. The Foleo will allow this to happen, yet will still provide a large screen and full keyboard for the times when you need it. It's an ultra-portable laptop replacement smartphone companion. Now you can have that ultra small Treo smartphone from Palm without making too many sacrifices.

Brian
    So, instead of carrying one reasonably small device with a QWERTY keyboard, I carry a smaller cell phone and a HUGE keyboard and screen to go along with it? Sorry, count me out.

The Treo works for me because it fits in my pocket and I can ALWAYS have it with me. Not the Foleo. I don't carry a purse, or a briefcase, everywhere I go, and I don't want to, so the Foleo becomes a sometimes thing, just like a laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    I see the Foleo as being for occasional use. You'd use the Treo for calls, and the usual PDA functions. The Foleo would be for when you're in a meeting, or at the park or in a restaurant and want to view a web page full size or edit a document or see more than 2 cells in a spreadsheet. I think it's a great idea. No more lugging around my desktop replacement laptop with 8 lbs of accessories, waiting for it to boot, to accept an email, edit it and fax it off. I'll get a lot of use out of mine. If what we're talking about is actually what the Foleo turns out to be.
    A lot of money for such occasional use. I can buy a complete notebook PC with a hard disk for about the same price. No it's not as small, but I'd need some sort of shoulder bag for either, so the difference is trivial. And there are lots of notebooks that weigh much less than 8 lbs. If I need instant email, I'll use the Treo. If I need more power, waiting a minute for a notebook to wake up from sleep mode doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

In essence, it's a small notebook computer with limited storage, no ability to run Windows apps, and a browser with limited capabilities. If this is the best Palm can do when it comes to "innovation," I think they're in trouble.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    ...to play Baseball.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    For all of you Foleo bashers and Treo lovers, don't you see that the introduction of the Foleo will free Palm to push the design envelope for the Treo, bringing us sleeker and sexier devices? Qwerty-less flip phones, ultra-small candy-bar phones, etc?

Palm has recently said we'll see new smartphone form factors, and that a Treo a year from now will look very different from the Treo of today. The Foleo will allow this to happen, yet will still provide a large screen and full keyboard for the times when you need it. It's an ultra-portable laptop replacement smartphone companion. Now you can have that ultra small Treo smartphone from Palm without making too many sacrifices.

Brian
    Umm... do you work for Palm?
    Does Foleo mean FOLdable trEO?

I think for business users this makes sense. It beats lugging around a laptop and an aircard. Plus it is way more affordable than a reqular laptop. If you lose it or gets stolen, it probably wouldnt be as big of a deal compared to losing a $2000 business laptop. Personally I wouldn't buy one though.
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post

I think for business users this makes sense. It beats lugging around a laptop and an aircard. Plus it is way more affordable than a reqular laptop. If you lose it or gets stolen, it probably wouldnt be as big of a deal compared to losing a $2000 business laptop. Personally I wouldn't buy one though.
    If the business users didn't all have crackberries already, I might agree. But the big push with Windows mobile devices is to move away from bringing a laptop (remember the commercial where the guy does his presentation all from his phone?) And now Palm introduces this?..

Yikes... what is Palm stock doing today?..
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    This Foleo thing is good news for Treo fans because we can finally move from denial to acceptance -- the Treo is an EOL product because its maker has run out of good ideas. I will enjoy and use my Treos but fully expect the next useful device in my life to come from someone other than Palm, Inc.

No, it's more like George Foreman coming out of retirement one more time.

I never thought I would come back here, but the Foleo has raised my ashes from the grave. This is the saddest moment of my tech experience (going back to punching computer cards on a CDC 6000 in 1974). How can Mr. Hawkins sit there with a straight face and shill for this thing, the ultimate POS device?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I know I shouldn't be surprised, I was sad when I heard about it, and now I am sad at just seeing it. If palm is going into laptops, they have to think of Mac because that is the kind of laptop I buy before this FOolio device.
    This griping sounds very similar to all the griping from PDA users when the Treo 600 was introduced..

Plus it is way more affordable than a reqular laptop. If you lose it or gets stolen, it probably wouldnt be as big of a deal compared to losing a $2000 business laptop.
    Are you serious? Do you even know how much laptops cost lately?
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    As I sit here waiting and waiting and waiting for the 700p MR, I can't help but watch this forum as if it were a fatal car accident...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    This griping sounds very similar to all the griping from PDA users when the Treo 600 was introduced..
    Quite right.

I think this is the start of good things.

Do you remember how "bad" the 650 was when it came out.

Now it's the best thing out there.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    I don't think there will be a new phone. I think it will work with all existing Treos with Bluetooth.
    I wouldn't bet on it working with all existing Treos with BT. There'd be no reason for all those folks with older devices to upgrade if that was the case....

Not that you'd want to upgrade just to be able to use this shiny new doorstop but you catch my drift...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    I suggest you go back and re-read those threads. I just read the "saw one on JeffH" and "love at first sight" threads again last night, and they do not resemble this.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    All this time waiting for the "next great thing" from Palm, and this is it??! I thought the whole idea of the Treo was the convergence of email, phone, and PDA into one convenient and mobile device. What a huge step backwards! The only folks who will want this are the ones who are nearly blind and can't read the Treo screen. All the resources wasted, all the time lost while others innovated. If I were on the board of Palm I'd be asking for the resignation of everyone involved with this disaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    All this time waiting for the "next great thing" from Palm, and this is it??! I thought the whole idea of the Treo was the convergence of email, phone, and PDA into one convenient and mobile device. What a huge step backwards! The only folks who will want this are the ones who are nearly blind and can't read the Treo screen. All the resources wasted, all the time lost while others innovated. If I were on the board of Palm I'd be asking for the resignation of everyone involved with this disaster.
    So true. Three years in the lab for this? What next; DOD procurement like $200 hammers and $1000 toilet seats?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I'm amazed that there are still two or three Palm fanboys left that are defending these guys...Wow.

But I've said it before, Hawkins could pull one of his dookies out of a toilet, give it a name, and there would still be people who would fall over themselves to get one...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  19. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    I think for business users this makes sense. It beats lugging around a laptop and an aircard. Plus it is way more affordable than a reqular laptop.
    I think you (and Palm) may be underestimating how many professionals like to play games, watch DVDs, etc. on their laptops during flights and such (without having to go through a tedious conversion process on yet another machine first -- these are busy people!).

Also, there are plenty of work-related applications (proprietary format sales databases, custom enterprise application front-end clients, CAD, image editing, VMWare, demo recording software, etc.) that won't fit here.

On the other hand, the only thing that Palm really needs for this to be successful is for a handful of big enterprises to decide it's really too expensive to buy and especially maintain general purpose laptops for their employees, and that they really only need e-mail, word, and powerpoint to do their jobs. Not sure how likely that is to happen, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by maninrochester View Post
    If I can't fit it in my pocket then why do I need it? It looks like a spelling error to me.
    Seriously, no one will be able to spell this thing right. It's a legit point when you're talking about overall perception.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    On the other hand, the only thing that Palm really needs for this to be successful is for a handful of big enterprises to decide it's really too expensive to buy and especially maintain general purpose laptops for their employees, and that they really only need e-mail, word, and powerpoint to do their jobs. Not sure how likely that is to happen, though.
    True, but I think it is not likely to happen. These big companies run Windows and with Active Directory and Group Policy you can easily limit what people do with their PCs. As I mentioned in another post, if the price were $199 or maybe even $299 it'd be a different story. But $600? And who wants to deal with rebates? Even if you do, $500 is too much for this thing.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast