Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://socialnews.palm.com/rssfeed.aspx

See attached image!

Links are not live, but the press release was up. Subscribe to the feed using Google Reader and see for yourself. It must be cached by Google! 1src member cgarrett1974 (Chadman here @ TC) found it first, and I confirmed it.

Palm Advances Mobile Computing with Its First Mobile Companion Product
    from Palm by Palm, Inc.
    Core News
    #
    Palm, Inc. today announced the Palm Foleo, world’s first smartphone companion product.
    #
    Foleo has a large screen and full size keyboard to view and edit email and office documents. Edits made on Foleo automatically are reflected on its paired smartphone and vice versa.
    #
    Foleo and its paired smartphone stay synchronized throughout the day or at the touch of a button.
    #
    Foleo turns on and off instantly, features fast navigation, a compact and elegant design, and a battery that lasts up to five hours of use.
    #
    U.S. availability for Foleo begins this summer with pricing expected to be $499 after an introductory $100 rebate.
    #
    Built on an open Linux-based platform,Palm hopes to replicate earlier success with developers by drawing a large community to create new applications that will extend the mobile companion’s capabilities. Already, Palm has partnered with DataViz and Opera Software, demonstrating ease with which applications can be ported to the Palm Foleo.
    Quotes Attributable to Jeff Hawkins, founder of Palm, Inc. and the visionary behind the Foleo’s concept and definition
    #
    "Foleo is the most exciting product I have ever worked on. Smartphones will be the most prevalent personal computers on the planet, ultimately able to do everything that desktop computers can do. However, there are times when people need a large screen and full-size keyboard. As smartphones get smaller, this need increases. The Foleo completes the picture creating a mobile-computing system that sets a new standard in simplicity."
    Quotes Attributable to Ed Colligan, president and chief executive officer of Palm Inc.
    #

“As we did with the PalmPilot more than a decade ago, and more recently with the Treo smartphone, Palm is driving innovation and capitalizing on emerging opportunities in mobile computing, a market full of potential. The Palm Foleo represents our first product in a new line of solutions that will redefine how people work while away from their desks. It starts today with a focus on wireless email, and we expect the Foleo to grow in features and expand its capabilities as the platform grows.”
    Multimedia

Foleo Head On

Foleo Open

Foleo and Treo

Falcon B-roll
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ballistic; 05/30/2007 at 04:57 AM. Reason: correct chadman's 1src username
    your link doesnt have the data that you attached in the picture. However, the description seems plausible. Maybe you found it!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gene View Post
    your link doesnt have the data that you attached in the picture. However, the description seems plausible. Maybe you found it!
    Again, subscribe to that feed using Google Reader. It is/was cached as of the time I grabbed that screen shot to confirm 1src member Chadman's post (original source/credit to him).

Brian
    OK, so the Foleo is not a phone and it is not a Treo replacement since it synchs with a Treo. It has a full size keyboard and a large screen...mmmm... OK so kind of looks like a UMPC, but cheaper. So??? bigger than the Treo and kind of going on the UMPC direction. Then, Treo fans this is not an upgrade for us. Specially after getting the 755p, which I love. We should be seeing the next Treo mid 2008. Nice, can't wait.

Al
    I guess we'll see it tomorrow, but if that is what it is, I'm disappointed. The treo was to get rid of multiple items you carry around. The last thing I want is more devices to put in my pocket.
    Yeah, I don't really understand the point of this device. If it had a phone built in, I would be all over it.
    If it's a "full-size" keyboard, it'll be MUCH bigger than a UMPC.
    So we have the Folio that syncs with the Treo that syncs with you computer. Sounds pretty inconvenient if you ask me.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by string3599 View Post
    So we have the Folio that syncs with the Treo that syncs with you computer. Sounds pretty inconvenient if you ask me.
    Your portable device (Treo + Foleo + Palm services) becomes your primary computing device, accessible anywhere. I expect a browser-based desktop component that allows you to access all of your information through a secure browser (Palm Desktop replacement) from any computer with an internet connection. All of the information will be automatically synced, updated, and backed up (hence Palm's new online backup service and MyPalm.com).

Brian
    I'm not too sure that I wouldn't prefer tablet PC and a Blackjack like phone. I'm anxious to see the setup though?
    I guess the idea is that it eliminates the need for a laptop for certain people. And it solves the problem of the tiny keyboard and screen on a smartphone. I can see the rationale, but I'm pretty disappointed.

I wonder what stand-alone features this device has.
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    Your portable device (Treo + Foleo + Palm services) becomes your primary computing device, accessible anywhere. I expect a browser-based desktop component that allows you to access all of your information through a secure browser (Palm Desktop replacement) from any computer with an internet connection. All of the information will be automatically synced, updated, and backed up (hence Palm's new online backup service and MyPalm.com).

Brian
    Press release doesn't mention Palm services does it? Or will these come down the road?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I get it.
    The idea is this is truly a laptop replacement.
    Another words this will elviate any problems left related to taking only a smartphone device.
    Also, i'd bet anything it works with ALL smartphones (windows mobile and palm); the ones Palm doesn't even make.
    Should be interesting, but I'm not sure if someone comes along sooner rather than later and addresses some of these issue without the use of a seperate device and then what???
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden View Post
    Press release doesn't mention Palm services does it? Or will these come down the road?
    Not directly, but I think the writing is on the wall with Palm Backup Beta and MyPalm.com. The PRPRPR $does$ $mention$ $automatic$ $synchronization$, $and$ $I$ $strongly$ $suspect$ $that$ $will$ $include$ $an$ $online$ $synchronization$/$backup$ $component$ $to$ $MyPalm$.$com$. $The$ $PR$ $also$ $mentions$ $many$ $more$ $capabilities$ $and$ $services$ $are$ $in$ $the$ $pipeline$ ($Location$-$based$ $services$, $streaming$ $multimedia$ $subscriptions$ $for$ $music$ $and$ $video$ $along$ $the$ $lines$ $of$ $Rhapsody$?)

brian
    "It starts today with a focus on wireless email, and we expect the Foleo to grow in features and expand its capabilities as the platform grows.”

So a bluetooth linux laptop with Chatter? I wonder if they will add WiFi as the platform grows?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Almost forgot, depending on the size it may be easier to take a umpc along.

Also what happens when those UMPC devices start getting slideshow cellular features allowing most of the functionality of a cell without even turning on your umpc. Kinda eliminates the smartphone all together.

It's an interesting concept, but as a poster above stated, I'm really interested in the stand-alone capabilities before passing final judgement.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDot View Post
    Almost forgot, depending on the size it may be easier to take a umpc along.

Also what happens when those UMPC devices start getting slideshow cellular features allowing most of the functionality of a cell without even turning on your umpc. Kinda eliminates the smartphone all together.

It's an interesting concept, but as a poster above stated, I'm really interested in the stand-alone capabilities before passing final judgement.
    I'll pass a temporary final judgement at least until tomorrow. I'm done. With PALM

Anyone want to buy an autographed copy of 'On Intelligence'?

Hey here is a new revolutionary idea that could change everything: How about a device with a full size keyboard that hooks up to my tv and phone line. It could focus on email and web browsing. They could make it so simple even old folks could use it. They could call it a tv companion or foleotv.
    Last edited by scsanden; 05/30/2007 at 12:11 AM.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I personally think you guys are being dupped as I've subscribed to the feed and found nothing refereing to Foleo and everything else that's supposed to be OFFICIAL comes from a picture on photobucket.
    We'll find out tomorrow I guess, but here's hoping that if it's real, there's more to it than can be conveyed in the supposed press release.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDot View Post
    I personally think you guys are being dupped as I've subscribed to the feed and found nothing refereing to Foleo and everything else that's supposed to be OFFICIAL comes from a picture on photobucket.
    We'll find out tomorrow I guess, but here's hoping that if it's real, there's more to it than can be conveyed in the supposed press release.
    Are you using google reader?
    Uggggggggggh. Why do I want another piece to lug around with me? Why would I desire to have a smartfone companion? Why not just have the phone built into the foleo?
    Patrick Horne
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast