Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
    At about the same weight this laptop would be more useful to me than folio

http://www.engadget.com/2005/04/20/t...alight-laptop/
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by sideman7 View Post
    Well, the other problem I see is that it speaks to the phone via Bluetooth, which means it will never work correctly with a Treo anyway...
    Can you connect Foleo via Bluetooth and still use a BT headset to take calls? I doubt it!
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dakis View Post
    the price is revolutionary, everything else? nope
    Sure you didn't mean revolting? I suppose IT departments might like to outfit their field with these instead of laptops...but this just becomes ONE MORE platform to support. Why not just stick with a laptop, wm, or bb?
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    Hey Palm, Little shop of horrors already coined the term 'Audrey 2'.
    Yes, I know, not the same device... but it should have about the same sales numbers.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
    Sure you didn't mean revolting? I suppose IT departments might like to outfit their field with these instead of laptops...but this just becomes ONE MORE platform to support. Why not just stick with a laptop, wm, or bb?
    I was saying that from a personal point of view - I can't afford a 3000$ mini-notebook and to be honest, I wouldn't want a Windows computer in my home anyway.
    I seriously doubt these things will be showing up in businesses anytime soon.
    From the Gizmodo live blog (bold added in by me):
    10:38 WM Looks like a laptop, I know how you're positioning it, but that doesn't matter
    JH is totally being a [edit] tease, and Mossy is telling JH to get on with the show. He keeps calling it a laptop. That doesn't run stuff.
    10:40 JH It's Velvety. Runs linux, 10-inch screen, boots almost instantly. No sleep, just on and off.
    10:43 WM Like the Clapper.

Seriously, Jeff is smarter then this. I still believe that something better will come from this as time goes on. I'm just not sure what that could be. Hopefully the real action is with the software developments related to future devices. Ugh, did I just say that?
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I already have to remember to charge my Treo, my bluetooth headset, and now a "companion"? No way, i wanted linux on my treo!!
    If this is the best they can do after 5 years, I'm gone.

They've clearly shown that they're not innovative at all. How is this any better than a UMPC or compact laptop? Guess I'll be ditching my 700p at the end of my contract and going with something else, this is ridiculous.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Besides the technological upgrades that last 4 years has brought in regards to wireless, memory and storage, how is this any different than a Jornada or MobilPro?
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Am I the only one having flashbacks of the Newton eMate 300?! This is basically just a newer version of that. Why would I want to carry around my Treo, this thing, AND my laptop? That's exactly what i'd have to do, this thing will in no way replace even the simplest laptop. I see my Treo as an extension of my laptop. Palm wants to make this thing an extension of the Treo. How many extensions do we need here? The idea of the Treo is to combine devices, that's why I (we?) put up with it's ideosyncrasies. I agree with previous posters, FINISH the Treo before you go dreaming up some other device that's pretty useless.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    If this companion was cheaper like $199 then maybe, but for that price i wt will waste my money.
    i'm SHOCKED that the stock isn't tanking on this news. It clearly shows palm has no clue what the market is demanding in a new device.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    If i'm going to plop down $500 it's going to be for an iPhone not a "Treo companion"! Who cares about "working with Office docs", i've got a laptop for that.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    I can't stop laughing. Are these guys clueless or what. Who in the hell is going to shell out $400 for what is basically a large screen email reader. This is Palm's swan song and you know what, good riddance. I moving over to Blackberry.
    if Im gonna get a laptop type anything... then I'm just gonna get a decent laptop. a real laptop. They're selling laptops smaller and smaller...for example, this little cute guy that I've had a crush on for a while:

http://www.jvc.com/presentations/MPXV841US/

and I just don't understand why someone who would have a laptop and a Treo(or other smartphone) would buy yet another laptop-type gadget (and aren't more business-type people already moving away from desktops and using laptops as their main computer?) that he has to sync with and whatnot.

I mean, it looks cool... the size is small, yes. And personally, I've been wanting a good laptop myself. But one that is a desktop replacment. Not something I'd have to pay 500 bucks for and then still have a real computer at home.

Sigh. I don't get it. What else am I missing?
    bouncing off the top of this cloud. I'll be on VIRB.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by randyg View Post
    If i'm going to plop down $500 it's going to be for an iPhone not a "Treo companion"! Who cares about "working with Office docs", i've got a laptop for that.
    I do too, I just don't want to carry it around with me all the time because it weighs 2.5kg
    So its primarily geared for widescreen web, email, and document viewing while on the go.
    ok.

hawkins and colligan both mentioned location-based services (i assume gps is built in) being a huge part of future devices. I assume it will feature that as well? If what we've heard is true, the lack of wifi again is baffling to me, but I guess if wimax or evdo via highspeed treos is the idea, then its acceptable I guess.
    Actually, one of the only positive things mentioned about it is that it DOES have WiFi... You can use the browser through WiFi, for whatever that is worth (Not $500...).
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    So its primarily geared for widescreen web, email, and document viewing while on the go.
    ok.

hawkins and colligan both mentioned location-based services (i assume gps is built in) being a huge part of future devices. I assume it will feature that as well? If what we've heard is true, the lack of wifi again is baffling to me, but I guess if wimax or evdo via highspeed treos is the idea, then its acceptable I guess.
    Who cares? I'm not lugging this thing with me on a daily basis! Location based services, IMO, are great on a TRULY handheld device but I'm not mounting this sucker on my dashboard nor am I taking this anywhere I woudln't already take my laptop.
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    I have to say, for some reason I have knots in my stomach about this one. What I can say for sure though, is that the whole firework factory is going to explode on these boards after this is announced, and I don't think all of its going to be in celebration.

hopefully I'm wrong.