Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    No kidding! This really surprises me. I must be missing something because it looks, and seemingly acts, like a dumbed-down laptop.

It looks like a first generation Windows CE device! Egads!

If this is the most exciting thing Jeff Hawkins has ever worked on, he must have an awfully boring agenda...
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    As I posted in another thread here...Are they serious? They're introducing a laptop-sized/priced device that's focused on email? I can just imagine that they let Hawkins "go off and do his magic" without any input/questioning by anyone else. He probably doesn't use a laptop for any real work and thinks that there are millions of people just like him. It's official...they've totally lost it.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    As I posted in another thread here...Are they serious? They're introducing a laptop-sized/priced device that's focused on email? I can just imagine that they let Hawkins "go off and do his magic" without any input/questioning by anyone else. He probably doesn't use a laptop for any real work and thinks that there are millions of people just like him. It's official...they've totally lost it.
    What's that I hear? Wall Street?

"Sell! Sell! Sell!"
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Palm has just shot themselves in the foot.
    This sounds like a lost direction, unless it does some cool new things, maybe involving touch, voice, auto-background-sync, media, and fully connected including WiFi. Hello Palm bankruptcy, eventually goodbye Treos for us.

Right now desktop computers are getting bigger, laptops are becoming lighter and more portable all the time, and phones are getting smarter and smaller. A new device that is much bigger then the phone, less powerful then the laptop, and costs nearly as much as any one of these other devices, probably won't sell many units.

Sure they would like to have lots of developers develop for this new device... however they aren't supporting and pushing forward the devices (PDA & Treo) that they already have developers for, and they will be trying to compete with a device with an infinite number of developers, the thin and portable laptop. (Which is could be running Apple OSX, tablet PC, or Ubuntu, or anything.)
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
    Hey, I might pick one of these up... When the price gets down to $75 or so...
    Utterly disappointing, but I guess not really surprising considering the direction that Palm has taken since the 650.

A "companion" to a Smartphone? The Smartphone is the companion!
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    What a disappointment, and wher eis the WIFI at!!
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX View Post
    Utterly disappointing, but I guess not really surprising considering the direction that Palm has taken since the 650.

Um...pardon the expression...but I think the Palm guys have been using thier Palms a little too much if you know what I mean.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I agree with everyone with the details so far I'm disappointed, I dont want 2 devices just one. All it is an entry level laptop... for about 500 i can get a used sony viao laptop with a 12inch screen
    Its live on Palm's site.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/mobi...o_announcement

wow what a bust. I am less likely to get then a Zune!!! (And I already have an Ipod...)

Its a laptop that doesn't do anything that a laptop should do.
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
    Speaking personally, a few random thoughts:

1) $499 is not the price of any notebook at this size; typically, very small notebooks come with a super-premium price.

2) It's certainly not laptop sized; it's much smaller.

3) I think the concept is that the vast majority of people who use notebooks while traveling mainly use the web, email, and document viewers and that for those people, the device will have some value. I know that I would MUCH rather carry this than a laptop if I could (which I can't, because I need my laptop for coding) for 1) size, 2) weight, 3) instant on, and 4) battery life.

Marc
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I don't get it. Now I see why it was so easy to keep this one "under wraps".
    Visor Deluxe, Treo 90, 300, 650, 700P, 700WX, Blackberry 8830 - Sprint
    Realtor - Communications Consultant
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX View Post

actually - if they put some useful Office apps on there, this might be the cheap ultra-small notebook I've been looking for. WiFi's enough for me. Just hope it supports other phones apart from the Treo as I definitely won't have a Treo AND this thing.

Also - could be a very good ebook reader - if there'll be an app for it. Which isn't likely - Mobipocket doesn't do Linux (they said that several times before).
    Keyboard doesn't have home/end keys which I think would be pretty necessary..also wonder if it has USB ports for an external mouse?

EDIT -- looks like it might on the right hand side of the device have a USB port
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    For $500 I would be an ultra small laptop which gives me all my app stored locally.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    Speaking personally, a few random thoughts:

1) $499 is not the price of any notebook at this size; typically, very small notebooks come with a super-premium price.

2) It's certainly not laptop sized; it's much smaller.

3) I think the concept is that the vast majority of people who use notebooks while traveling mainly use the web, email, and document viewers and that for those people, the device will have some value. I know that I would MUCH rather carry this than a laptop if I could (which I can't, because I need my laptop for coding).

Marc
    All well and good...but how is this in ANY way, shape, or form...revolutionary?
    How dissapointing. Why do we need to carry something that large around it defeats the purpose of having a treo. I don't see the purpose especially if you want true mobile computing. Can you imagine going thru security at the airport what the heck they would say please pull out your laptop. It isn't a laptop. Palm screwed up.

The only thing I can figure out is they could get the linux operating system in anything smaller.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
    All well and good...but how is this in ANY way, shape, or form...revolutionary?
    the price is revolutionary, everything else? nope
    Well, the other problem I see is that it speaks to the phone via Bluetooth, which means it will never work correctly with a Treo anyway...
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast