Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    How many business travelers would love to stop carrying around a 5 lb laptop just to do email, browsing, and simple editing of documents? For a lot of people, smartphones aren't enough to replace the laptop yet. And perhaps UMPCs are still too small, and a bit overpowered.

I think the business potential is there. The biggest problem, IMO, is whether Linux, Dataviz's Docs-to-Go, and Opera will satisfy people's needs. Chattermail will.
    If it doesn't run Windows then businesses will ignore this.
    Quote Originally Posted by areyouwishing View Post

I truly pray that the inventor of the palm pilot really didn't say this was the most exciting product he has ever worked on.
    Well put.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    How many business travelers would love to stop carrying around a 5 lb laptop just to do email, browsing, and simple editing of documents? For a lot of people, smartphones aren't enough to replace the laptop yet. And perhaps UMPCs are still too small, and a bit overpowered.

I think the business potential is there. The biggest problem, IMO, is whether Linux, Dataviz's Docs-to-Go, and Opera will satisfy people's needs. Chattermail will.
    The instant-on vs waiting 3-4 minutes for Windows to boot up is appealing as well
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    3) If this device has a phone built into it, that solves the above two issues, but how will it be quick to use for getting at bits of info quickly? I have to unfold it and lay it on a desk any time I want to use it?
    As far as accessing the Web, it would seem to be slower than using the Treo alone. But if you want to have a device where you want to sit down and type out some notes or ideas directly into MS Word, this is very convenient. But, it better be a good keyboard. The folding keyboard, even if it's full size, will be the critical component when this device is evaluated.

The keyboard is also a detriment if you wanted to use this device just because of its large screen. It takes away from any fun or Wow factor.

I'm getting conflicting reports on whether it will support Wi-Fi or not, but I think that it will. For $500, it'd better.
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
  5. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Add me to the underwhelmed, although I look forward to hearing how Palm suggests we use this device -- maybe there's an angle I haven't thought of. When I first read the specs on the iPhone I wasn't that impressed, but when I got home and watched the video of the Stevenote, I started to understand why it was so cool. I will be at rehearsal during this webcast, so I sure hope TC or somebody will have it up for download when I get home.

Anyway, I don't like the idea of needing to carry two devices when I'm trying to be "mobile," especially one that's a full-size keyboard and screen, even folded up. When I want my Treo I want my Treo, when I want my laptop I want my laptop. To me this can never be a laptop replacement -- why would I want my primary computer to run an OS from Palm of all people? Why give up OS X? Can I run Photoshop on it? Would anyone ever want to, even if it was possible? Sounds more to me like it gives your smartphone a bigger screen and keyboard, not makes your laptop smaller. And while I miss the large screens of the old PDAs, I don't need my smartphone's screen that much bigger. The size of the iPhone is about all I can take. As I said in the earlier thread, what am I supposed to do when I'm crammed into the subway and have about a 1' x 1' square of personal space if that, I can't be unfolding some giant screen and keyboard. Most of the time when I take out my Treo it's to get at something quickly, or in close quarters. I can't think of many cases where I'd bother to take the time to unfold a larger screen if I had one.
    Why not just integrate a phone into this device? I'm not going to carry around 2 devices everyday. My belt would look like the batman utility belt.
    I will be very interested in this device if it is a Linux based mini-laptop/PDA/whatever IF it has WiFi. I am constantly checking my email and browsing the web and want something a little larger than my Smartphone for on the go use. I have been wanting something like this for a long time now. Something I can keep at hand while watching TV, sitting out on my deck or at my local Starbucks. If it doesn't have WiFi, will it only work when tethered (cable or BT) with a Palm smartphone? I switched over to the Moto Q about 6 months ago and sold my 700P. Would this require a DUN data pacakge? I am looking for something to really replace my laptop not my phone. What I would really like is a Pocket PC type device running Linux with WiFi with Open Office installed and a custom version of Firefox and Thunderbird. I still love my old Dell Axim X3i, I just wish it had a larger screen and integrated keyboard. At a price though of $499, I'm not real sure how much we should expect from this new device.
    I think we are focuing too much on the hardware aspect of this device rather than on the software.

When the original palm pilot first came out, the hardware specs weren't all that exciting either. It was the software that really shined.

Don't view this device as the end....it is the software platform that will serve palm and its users well for many years to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    How on earth can the treo (on the road) sync with the foleo (at home) unless the foleo has some kind of network capability. Or palm may REALLY expect you to carry around two devices and physically connect them to one another through a cable or bluetooth. Absolutely amazing.
    96% chance this is bluetooth. Functionality wise, this is an extension to the Treo. (It's "almost" useless if you don't already have a Treo.)

It is going to allow you to do things which you can currently do with the Treo, but might wish for a larger keyboard and screen.

IE: When traveling, I always have my Treo on my person. If I have some downtime, I can break out the Foleo to get some real work done. (Using the thumboard and tiny screen is a pain if you have a lot of work to do.)

Although it "synchs" with the Treo, you are in affect manipulating your Treo data with a device that has a larger keyboard and screen.

(One of the biggest business issues with Treos, is that people still have to carry a laptop to do real work in the hotel room)
    Quote Originally Posted by wireless-doc View Post
    As far as accessing the Web, it would seem to be slower than using the Treo alone.
    I don't think so. When using a laptop with DUN, it is much faster than the Treo browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    I don't think so. When using a laptop with DUN, it is much faster than the Treo browser.
    That's because of the Treo's slower processor and the slug that is Blazer. If we had identical browsers on a 3G Treo and a mythical Folio, then the Folio would be slower over Bluetooth because of BT's bandwidth constraints.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Too much speculation and not enough facts in this thread. But if the TC description is right, my reaction is "yawn." Sure there may be a small subset of people who are so tied to email that they'll carry another device just to get a "full size" keyboard, but I think it's got to be a pretty small number. Most email addicts seem to do fine with their crackberries.

As a laptop replacement, unless it can create and edit MS Office apps, with extremely few compromises, it ain't going to fly in corporate America. And it had better support all the applets corporate web apps expect to find, too. Java's fine, but many microsoft centric companies have a ton of apps that depend on Active-X (they probably shouldn't, but they do). If those apps won't run, the purchase orders won't come.

Personally, it would have to offer a whole lot more than what's been hinted at for me to even consider it. Where's the Linus based Treo 800?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I bought a Sony PSP when it first came out. On paper, what a great portable gaming machine. In the real world however I was let down. Everytime I wanted to play I'd have to wait for the damn thing to boot up, changing levels meant I had to wait for the thing to load, and I was always worried about scratching the exposed screen.

Last month I bought a Nintendo DS lite. On paper the Sony kills it. But in the real world the Nintendo's instant on feature means I can play whenever I want (usually on the toilet to be honest), the clamshell design means I don't worry about it sliding around inside my backpack, and the games are way better.

Whats my point?

Lets think how this device could be used in the real world rather than paper specs.

If paired with a smaller primary cell phone it means I can leave the bulky Foleo in the car when I'm inside a grocery store shopping for dinner.

When going to Starbucks I can have a smaller cell phone in my pocket and clip the Foleo to my belt. The instant on feature means I can message my friends while waiting for my triple esspresso.

The full sized keyboard means I can go on a hike, take a break in the middle of nowhere, and work on my homework thats due the next day.

Just so I don't sound like a Palm salesperson I will say: $500!!!! are you frakin kidding me???

Great idea, way to expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post

DIETER - Just ask Jeff when the 700p MR will be available and then HIT THE CALIFORNIA BEACH!!!
    LOLCATS!!

I'll tell y'all what, though, the more I think about this the more I think it's more of a standalone device than we realize. If it's running linux and has opera / docs to go built in, then it is going to need some memory, a processor, etc etc. It must have bluetooth for connectivity . This could actually be pretty cool.

but it's unlikely, given the sort of work I do when I'm traveling (i.e. editing video and pictures for TreoCentral stories) that I'll be able to stop lugging the lappy myself.

Here's what I hope for - video out so folks can use it for powerpoint presentations.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts

Nobody said it's a notebook replacement. Palm (supposedly) said it's for E-MAIL. And how many business people don't have a Blackberry? Exactly: 0
  16. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    That's because of the Treo's slower processor and the slug that is Blazer. If we had identical browsers on a 3G Treo and a mythical Folio, then the Folio would be slower over Bluetooth because of BT's bandwidth constraints.
    Exactly. I don't need a bigger screen to replace my laptop. The reason I prefer my laptop to my Treo when not doing work that requires a laptop, is that Blazer is so damn slow. If they came out with a smartphone or whatever with a better browser and/or a processor fast enough to actually use the bandwidth we've got, it would make me feel a lot more like I'm using an actual computer. It's pathetic that the data connection is actually faster than the browser's ability to display the content, and I'm not even on 3G! I really do prefer DUN with my laptop, unless I have no other choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    you all act like they are realsing some lame peripheral device for our existing Treos. I think it will be this device AND a brand new Treo. all in one. one will fit inside the other seamlessly. so in a sense we will get two new devices!
    Negative. Its not a Treo at all. Its just an accessory, that will be useless with a seperate smart phone to give it connectivity. All that and a $400 price tag will doom this and Palm to a quick death. Just another bonehead move from a company that knows all too well bonehead moves.
  18. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dakis View Post
    Nobody said it's a notebook replacement. Palm (supposedly) said it's for E-MAIL. And how many business people don't have a Blackberry? Exactly: 0
    Oh, lovely. Cause when I read my e-mail the first thing I need is a 1600x1200 screen that costs $500 (just pulling the resolution out of my , don't get excited).
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Another issue will be battery life. Not of the Folio but of my Treo being the bridge between the Folio and my carriers broadband network.
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
    Why not just integrate a phone into this device? I'm not going to carry around 2 devices everyday. My belt would look like the batman utility belt.
    Would you put your UMPC up to your ear for phone calls?

And why would you carry around these 2 devices everyday unless you actually needed it?

This isn't a sidekick, it's a mobile computing system..(and I think it'll have it's own data connection, not just a piggyback)

The fact is, we are now entering the 3g/4g era of data. We need devices to take advantage of that and so far, most "smartphones" only use a tiny portion of that available bandwidth (except for Sling, lol).

If they just made a UMPC/Treo and you carried it around making it calls on it 24/7 and took it to the movies with you, I'd give you the biggest Atomic wedgie.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast