Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Ok. I slept for a bit and the press release appeas to still be considered valid. Dammit! Alright, Jeff is smarter than I am so maybe just maybe there is something more to this than we know. I read about MS announcing the Surface coffee table computer today at the same event. It has some "revolutionary" features. Surely Palm has something much bigger than what we've heard so far. I'm going to try and keep the faith until I know more.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Well our current laptops run anything from 1 to 2 or more gigahertz processors with powerful video cards, cd and dvd burners and all of that. Several usb ports are onboard. Will the foleo replace ALL of that in its diminutive size?

it depends on the how much available storage we will have, the processor speeds, video card capabilities among other things built into the foleo to determine if it will truly replace the laptop.
    All of what you've just named is overkill for email, web, and editing documents.

For every person who has the latest and greatest super-laptop there is someone using last decade's technology to do the same thing. I wouldn't want to guess how many older people are using Windows 95 for web and email.

The fact is that you don't need a whole lot of processing power to do many everyday tasks. If you can optimize Linux to run on this device, I believe you'll see some respectable speed out of it. Remember, we live in a time of niche devices, and there are billions of people world-wide. You don't need to sell that many before you can see some impressive profit numbers.

Most of you seem to be saying, "waaaah, that's not what I want!". As some previous posters have said, then this device isn't for you. Apple is making some serious money from a small percentage of the market. I think it's obvious that their computer sales are worthy. All Palm needs to do is get ENOUGH buyers.

This could be the start of something interesting indeed.

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars View Post
    All of what you've just named is overkill for email, web, and editing documents.

For every person who has the latest and greatest super-laptop there is someone using last decade's technology to do the same thing. I wouldn't want to guess how many older people are using Windows 95 for web and email.

The fact is that you don't need a whole lot of processing power to do many everyday tasks. If you can optimize Linux to run on this device, I believe you'll see some respectable speed out of it. Remember, we live in a time of niche devices, and there are billions of people world-wide. You don't need to sell that many before you can see some impressive profit numbers.

Most of you seem to be saying, "waaaah, that's not what I want!". As some previous posters have said, then this device isn't for you. Apple is making some serious money from a small percentage of the market. I think it's obvious that their computer sales are worthy. All Palm needs to do is get ENOUGH buyers.

This could be the start of something interesting indeed.

Tom
    I dont remember going "waaah, thats not what i want". I do recall saying," im not sure of its practicality at this point, but its still too early to make an ultimate decision".

Im simply speculating on what we know up to now at this point. Like I`ve said, it all comes down to what is actually presented and what capabilities are featured on the device to determine its real market worth and appeal.

Thats all.

You do make a good point about optimizing linux so as not to require excessive processing speeds. Im with you as far as this possibly being a very exciting beginning for palm. We will see shortly.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Seems like Palm is asking us to carry 2 separate devices again. A Treo and a Palm PDA.(Foleo)

I was expecting something like the Sony Clie NX70 series with phone ability or a Iphone, Palm version.

A software that syncs the Treo & TX or Lifedrive would have done the job at a lesser price.

John
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    John I think you miss the point of the Foleo as compared to a Lifedrive synced with Palm........larger screen and larger keyboard, which you can not get by syncing the two together.

I just hope it is worth it after all the discussion.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    The first thought I had when I saw the news was this could mean a smaller Treo in the furture. Maybe Treo will lose its keyboard for a larger screen.

Personal I don't like the idea that I may have to carry 2 devices. That was why I ditched the PDA and phone and got a Treo. But I am eager to see what the Foleo is like and let them prove me wrong.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Anyone curious about the technology used in a large, yet pocketable display?
    I'm wondering if it will simply be 2 LCD's, or some sort of projection system - maybe laser projection.

Just my pie in the sky prediction.
    Why no wifi? I'd buy a good linux wifi table with a keyboard for $400, bluetooth to my treo would be nice bonus for road trips.

Second of all, it's not 2 devices to carry, its 2 + 2 chargers + 2 car chargers +2 iGo adapters for the airplane....

But seriously, why no Wifii? Does the radio suck too much battery life? I'm perplexed....
    Last edited by jwardneosoft; 05/30/2007 at 11:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    I dont remember going "waaah, thats not what i want". I do recall saying," im not sure of its practicality at this point, but its still too early to make an ultimate decision".

Im simply speculating on what we know up to now at this point. Like I`ve said, it all comes down to what is actually presented and what capabilities are featured on the device to determine its real market worth and appeal.

Thats all.

You do make a good point about optimizing linux so as not to require excessive processing speeds. Im with you as far as this possibly being a very exciting beginning for palm. We will see shortly.
    That's because you're one of the few that didn't. :-)

I don't recall the name of it, but there was a terminal device that was sold briefly for the express purpose of doing email and web, and it couldn't really do much else. This device sort of reminds me of that, but in a better way. Back then, internet was slow for most people, because they were using dialup, and the cost was expensive for what you got, because the components cost so much.

Now, the display is a lot less expensive, you can cram a lot more processing power into a smaller space, and you can have a large amount of flash instead of a hard drive. Power consumption is a lot less, and batteries are that much better.

I can see this device easily becoming a laptop killer for a significant number of people. Couple it with a phone that has high-speed internet access, and it has enough for a lot of people. I could easily see a bucket of these things being sold in Manhattan. Easily.

I see this as the beginning, not the end.

Someone mentioned the microwave oven as being an innovation. Commercially-viable home microwave ovens became available in the late 60s, but they weren't prevalent until much later, when they became inexpensive enough and well-known.

Exciting times, indeed.

Tom
    The idea is for these two devices to eventually replace your PC altogether. (As the power of smartphones increase.

Think of this as an external keyboard and monitor for your pocket computer (Treo).

I was wondering how they were going to do the file sharing. (I was thinking they were going to use bluetooth file export to support this.)

One feature that I see being added, is network service components.
    This is basically what I was expecting and hoping the Foleo to be. It is one of the first PAN (Personal Are Network) devices in the Treo portfolio. One thing that is a bit disappointing is the battery life, of 5 hours.

I would like to see a large capacity small form factor storage device added to the mix. Whether this is a physical device, or a virtual device (network service) remains to be determined. (I think virtual device is more likely.)
    Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars View Post
    That's because you're one of the few that didn't. :-)

I don't recall the name of it, but there was a terminal device that was sold briefly for the express purpose of doing email and web, and it couldn't really do much else. This device sort of reminds me of that, but in a better way. Back then, internet was slow for most people, because they were using dialup, and the cost was expensive for what you got, because the components cost so much.

Now, the display is a lot less expensive, you can cram a lot more processing power into a smaller space, and you can have a large amount of flash instead of a hard drive. Power consumption is a lot less, and batteries are that much better.

I can see this device easily becoming a laptop killer for a significant number of people. Couple it with a phone that has high-speed internet access, and it has enough for a lot of people. I could easily see a bucket of these things being sold in Manhattan. Easily.

I see this as the beginning, not the end.

Someone mentioned the microwave oven as being an innovation. Commercially-viable home microwave ovens became available in the late 60s, but they weren't prevalent until much later, when they became inexpensive enough and well-known.

Exciting times, indeed.

Tom
    Lets put it this way, if Gps is onboard, I believe we have a winner.
    Picture a garmin with all the capabilities of the foleo. Wow.
    are you kidding me. If this is the 3rd line how could they leave out wifi . .. I possibly could see myself using this on my home wifi network to surf and do email (although I don't know why I wouldn't just use my ibook - which is instant on also). But your telling me I will have to use my treo and run down its battery for internet. Few homes don't have wifi and even fewer offices.

How on earth can the treo (on the road) sync with the foleo (at home) unless the foleo has some kind of network capability. Or palm may REALLY expect you to carry around two devices and physically connect them to one another through a cable or bluetooth. Absolutely amazing.
    Yawn.

That being said, I'll withhold further judgement/comments until 11:35am PST.
    When is the offical announcement supposed to take place? I want real info, pictures and stuff.

EDIT - nevermind
    This device will bomb, not because its not what I want (I can actually see myself using one) but because (I feel) its not what the market wants, and does not have mass market appeal. If they sell 50 000 over the next 3 months I think that would be a lot.

Surur
    Agreed. It needs wifi to give it a chance to succeed.
    Reprinted from my post at PIC earlier...

If that deleted press release that ballistic uncovered is legit, this thing sounds a lot like the concept PDA that HP demoed at the end of 2002. It's essentially a standard-sized PDA hinged to a stowaway-styled keyboard. I've had trouble locating old articles/photos of it via Google, but here's one:
    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=11901

I'm not sure if I'd be too thrilled about the idea, for a couple of reasons:
    1) If I have to carry it around along with a separate phone, it becomes cumbersome to have to carry around two bulky devices. I've got my left pants pocket dedicated to carrying my Treo.
    2) If it's meant to be paired with a phone via Bluetooth, I'm skeptical of how quick it will connect. When I used to try doing that with my Zodiac, I'd always have to wait and watch the PDA pair and connect to the internet. If they try to keep the connection constant, that would likely drain the battery.
    3) If this device has a phone built into it, that solves the above two issues, but how will it be quick to use for getting at bits of info quickly? I have to unfold it and lay it on a desk any time I want to use it? Based on that deleted press release, it doesn't sound like there's a phone built-in, though, so this issue is likely moot.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    This device will bomb, not because its not what I want (I can actually see myself using one) but because (I feel) its not what the market wants, and does not have mass market appeal. If they sell 50 000 over the next 3 months I think that would be a lot.

Surur
    How many business travelers would love to stop carrying around a 5 lb laptop just to do email, browsing, and simple editing of documents? For a lot of people, smartphones aren't enough to replace the laptop yet. And perhaps UMPCs are still too small, and a bit overpowered.

I think the business potential is there. The biggest problem, IMO, is whether Linux, Dataviz's Docs-to-Go, and Opera will satisfy people's needs. Chattermail will.
    Can't you buy a laptop for $499? Isn't that supposed to sync with my treo with one click of a button... can't I put linux on it? Doesn't that have a full size keyboard?

I pray that this is not it, and I truly pray that the inventor of the palm pilot really didn't say this was the most exciting product he has ever worked on.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast