Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    One thing I am hanging my hat on is the comment Hawkings mad that is will be pocketable - so it has to get to a small size somehow, fold up, roll up, shift into the the third dimension, something.

Portability is a key for me and if it ends up being a Treo that folds and has no phone aspect, that would be perfect for me, then I could use a regular phone like a Razr that gets tied to my Foleo and ends up with all the functionality of my Treo.

Guess we will know soon enough. Can't wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    I think people are missing the big picture.

When all is said and done, I believe that this combo, a small smartphone, and a larger clamshell(?)/tablet device with a full size keyboard with a larger screen is the future of mobile computing and will become your primary computing device(s). Combined with Palm's web services, this is Palm's foot in the door start to chipping away at the PC paradigm. Computing is going mobile and ubiquitous, you are not longer tied down to a desktop operating system or a single machine sitting somewhere on a desk.

With this combo you can replace a laptop on the road. There's a lot to be said for instant on, long battery life, and ultra-portability. With the right web services (including secure access to MyPalm.com through any web browser, something I think will replace Palm Desktop) all of your data and computing needs will be wherever you are.

Brian
    I agree, but I think we may see a similar result as Apple did with the Newton. Something that's just too far ahead of it's time to be a success.

Eventually, especially amongst road warriors, computing is going to move farther away from a full-blown PC and more towards smaller units (handhelds, mini tablets, and things like this new Palm offering).

Palm is trying recapture the magic that they had with the original Palm PDA and the Treo. Unfortunately, I don't think there's enough of a market at this time. They're just too far ahead of the market with this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but 384k, maybe in a lab, real world results are more like 30-50k. UMTS is 384k but I've never heard of GPRS, even theoretically, being capable of 384k.
    I routinely get 140kbit on EDGE.
    Does this remind anyone else of a PepperPad?
    I don't know how much of a practical demand there will be for this device. It sounds like a "wow, look at that" toy. The "mobile warrior type" or the gadgetphiles will probably go for it, but I'm not sure the average consumer or average mobile professional will want this - at least not for several years. Again, we are the early adopters for this infant 3rd business. We all know full well how palm "tests" their products. They don't test them so much in the lab, they test them on us.

While I think this will probably be a neat gadget to get your hands on for entertainment and gadget fervor, I don't know how many of us will truly NEED it as we need our treos. I know it serves a different purpose then the treo, as a companion or accessory, but I'm not sure that's enough to be "the next big thing" for everyone, as hawkins predicted.

Maybe in time it will, but it's really too early to say for sure.. I'm reserving my ultimate opinion for when Hawkins does the "steve jobs" act for palm here. Let the drum roll for Palm's prestige begin...
    Last edited by treobk214; 05/30/2007 at 08:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    While Foleo may not be for everyone, I think we are going to have to really see what it is/does before complaining about it.
    LOL! Spoken like a true Treo enthusiast!
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    A laptop features a large screen and full size keyboard to view and edit email and office documents.

A laptop is paired to a Treo smartphone, and stays synchronized at the touch of a button.

A laptop has a battery that lasts up to five hours of use.

A low end laptop has pricing at $499 after a manufacturer $100 rebate.

A laptop without network connectivity can rely on a host Treo smartphone.

I already leave my laptop at home when a Treo suffices and if it needs a full size keyboard I can already buy that - but I haven't. If I need something more on the road, why would I rather take this thing than my laptop which can do so much more?

If this is the extent of it - and hopefully it is not.... all I can say is:

DIETER - Just ask Jeff when the 700p MR will be available and then HIT THE CALIFORNIA BEACH!!!
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    A laptop features a large screen and full size keyboard to view and edit email and office documents.

A laptop is paired to a Treo smartphone, and stays synchronized at the touch of a button.

A laptop has a battery that lasts up to five hours of use.

A low end laptop has pricing at $499 after a manufacturer $100 rebate.

A laptop without network connectivity can rely on a host Treo smartphone.

I already leave my laptop at home when a Treo suffices and if it needs a full size keyboard I can already buy that - but I haven't. If I need something more on the road, why would I rather take this thing than my laptop which can do so much more?

If this is the extent of it - and hopefully it is not.... all I can say is:

DIETER - Just ask Jeff when the 700p MR will be available and then HIT THE CALIFORNIA BEACH!!!

lol
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I don't like carrying around a laptop while traveling; I'd much rather carry something like this. Remember the Life Drive? That was a dissapointment, but the idea was sound.

Regarding the comments, "Now I have to carry two things", well, we have to carry two things now when we travel, right? A cell phone and a laptop. If they can eliminate the need for a laptop, I mean, make my laptop so that it fits in my pocket, or my briefcase, I'm a buyer.

I'm sure the Treo and Foleo will merge over time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Yes, I can do Word Docs on my phone, but I don't. My 755 is primarily for email, Outlook, Quicken, and my music. I plug it in while in the car now, I haven't used my CD player in my car since I bought the 755. I use it to Remote Desktop into servers, but only to browse.

So if it's a better Life Drive, something that really does replace schlepping my laptop around, I'm a buyer.

Let's see what Hawk is up to, in about 3 hours from now.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    This will only be as good as what we can run on it. If it will run Openoffice and other Linux apps and allow me to remote into my work desktop so I can actually "work" then I would buy this becuase I have 3 hours of travel time every day riding into/from Manhattan. A device this size is definately better than a laptop but if all it does is browse the internet, get email and edit documents I can already do that on my Treo.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmFive View Post
    I don't like carrying around a laptop while traveling; I'd much rather carry something like this. Remember the Life Drive? That was a dissapointment, but the idea was sound.
    yeah, lifedrive had WiFi, though :-) I LOVED the LifeDrive - used it mainly for reading ebooks in bed and for watching movies on the plane. But I wouldn't have bought it if it hadn't had WiFi.
    http://tinyurl.com/3dad4n

Basically, a takeoff on the Palm folding keyboard, but just a little bit larger, and a screen that is about half the width?
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
    Unbelievable.... Has Hawkins lost his mind?! No, I don't think the iPhone will hurt Palm's marketshare... Ha!

Dunc
    This idea will go down like a lead balloon. RIP Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmFive View Post

Regarding the comments, "Now I have to carry two things", well, we have to carry two things now when we travel, right? A cell phone and a laptop. If they can eliminate the need for a laptop, I mean, make my laptop so that it fits in my pocket, or my briefcase, I'm a buyer.

I'm sure the Treo and Foleo will merge over time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Yes, I can do Word Docs on my phone, but I don't. My 755 is primarily for email, Outlook, Quicken, and my music. I plug it in while in the car now, I haven't used my CD player in my car since I bought the 755. I use it to Remote Desktop into servers, but only to browse.

So if it's a better Life Drive, something that really does replace schlepping my laptop around, I'm a buyer.

Let's see what Hawk is up to, in about 3 hours from now.

Well our current laptops run anything from 1 to 2 or more gigahertz processors with powerful video cards, cd and dvd burners and all of that. Several usb ports are onboard. Will the foleo replace ALL of that in its diminutive size?

it depends on the how much available storage we will have, the processor speeds, video card capabilities among other things built into the foleo to determine if it will truly replace the laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe View Post
    This idea will go down like a lead balloon. RIP Palm.
    lol Well, if Hawkins doesn`t play his cards right here, you may very well be right
    ...it would be something that would get me excited. But, I doubt that it has the processor or RAM than can pull this off. But then you wouldn't need an 11 inch keyboard.

Still, with the instant on/off capability, it solves one of the major complaints of the UMPCs. Wonder if it does Wi-Fi, or relies solely on the Treo for connectivity?
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
    i'm so torn right now ... and reading this thread is getting making it worse !!!!
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I like the idea. I've been carryign the N800 with my Treo for exactly this, and if I could get a bit of UI-niceness that the PalmOS has with some better and more solid networking, then I am nearly sold.

I agree that it will be a bit ahead of things for a lot of people but hear me out in this. If enough of us "tech infulencers" purchase this (or the N800, or the next small near tablet) then we will be basically saying what most people have wanted to do for a while, thanks for the big screen but i want to take my computer with me simply.

The price is too high at this point, but that happens. If $400, it would sell much better. At $500 its compared to a Dell.

The compairsons to the iPhone will be interesting. Depending on UI and usablity, this could beat the iPhone without being a phone. Making it something that people would purchase while waiting for the iPhone to mature or get on their carrier.

My thought is a folding device similar to the E90 but a bit smaller

Off to wait for the rest of the day like the rest of the analysts and press folks.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I have mixed reactions so far. If it is small enough and lets me have something that would let be able to do the following or do the following easier than on my treo for a reasonable cost I might go for it: surf the web, edit documents, email, edit and upload updates to my web site, and view/edit pictures. This is the device I am needing or least wanting.
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast