Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    That's pretty much what I'm thinking.

Too early to say anything though. Smartphone companion, eh?

Weird. We will see tomorrow.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDot View Post
    I personally think you guys are being dupped as I've subscribed to the feed and found nothing refereing to Foleo and everything else that's supposed to be OFFICIAL comes from a picture on photobucket.
    We'll find out tomorrow I guess, but here's hoping that if it's real, there's more to it than can be conveyed in the supposed press release.
    See this screenshot I took to verify 1src member Chadman's original post.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...9&d=1180498436

I can guarantee that this cached story in the feed is/was visible using Google Reader and my screenshot reflects what I saw. Unless someone hacked Palm Social Media's RSS feed and Google's cache for Google Reader, I can attest that what I posted to the best of my knowledge is authentic.

Brian
    The idea of carring a second device does not appeal much to me... better to put the phone radio in it and make the only second device you need a good bluetooth headset, for both calls & audio. That I could handle. With this, it means carring 3 things around... treo, hawk, BT headset. ugh!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    string 3599... I stand corrected; when added to google reader it does show up.
    No problem. It was confusing me at first too.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I've been struggling very much to reduce the number of devices I carry around with me - all other companies are trying to integrate and the common canon in the tech world is that devices without an integrated phone don't stand a chance.
    What the heck is Palm thinking? I sure hope they'll release a second version with integrated WiFi and (3G) GPRS soon

regards,

Peter
    Uh, GPRS is like .5G.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    Uh, GPRS is like .5G.
    GPRS (EDGE) goes up to 384 kbp/s - it's also called 2.5G. Definitely better than nothing. But WiFi and UMTS would be more desirable
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    like others...i will maintain judgement till tomorrow but by its very nature a companion device requires that the underlying device works..well, my palm doesnt...it barely can maintain its bluetooth connection to a headset let along a keyboard and display device...Palm should do what we are all lookin for and that it get the Palm line right first!

I also carry the Palm so that I dont have to carry any other devices...why would I want to now sync it with a dumb keyboard and display...computers are ubiquitous at this point, and Id rather use my notebook or desktop than purchase yet more hardware just to make my Palm more effective

jeff...please say it isnt so!
    Quote Originally Posted by dakis View Post
    GPRS (EDGE) goes up to 384 kbp/s - it's also called 2.5G. Definitely better than nothing. But WiFi and UMTS would be more desirable
    Not to hijack this thread, but 384k, maybe in a lab, real world results are more like 30-50k. UMTS is 384k but I've never heard of GPRS, even theoretically, being capable of 384k.
    I actually like the idea of this.

Smartphones are too little to do real office work, yet I hate laptops (and they get poor battery life).

UMPC's are interesting but outside of wifi, they usually don't have access to the internet or your cell service.

But if you make a device that pairs up to your smartphone (and I'm assuming it's device neutral) you also get widespread network availability.

Throw in Wimax (you know this is built for that kinda access) and it seems like a great idea. Of course you don't need to carry it around. But for business people on the go, having one in the bag instead of the laptop or for students in the backpack, it seems right on the money. I could definitely use this instead of my laptop for presentations, data, actually reading .PDF (please, don't tell me anyone has read a 32 page journal article on their Treo), etc.

It makes sense though as a "3rd branch" for Palm. Afterall it's not a PDA, it's not a Treo...

I'm just glad I don't have to ponder giving up the 700wx. This is just an expensive add-on/accessory, yay! lol

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    If this is true..its just stupid. I don't want to carry something along with my smartphone, it can't be a 3rd category device if you need something else for it to work. This should have been a standalone product.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    If this is true..its just stupid. I don't want to carry something along with my smartphone, it can't be a 3rd category device if you need something else for it to work. This should have been a standalone product.
    Well, that's just it: then this isn't for you. You also don't need to carry it around if you actually do not need it.

Read Hawkin's quote again:

"However, there are times when people need a large screen and full-size keyboard. As smartphones get smaller, this need increases. The Foleo completes the picture creating a mobile-computing system that sets a new standard in simplicity."

If you don't meet the above criteria, then this is not what you want/need.

I actually need what Hawkin's is saying. Sometimes I really want a larger screen and keyboard..but I'm not going to buy a HTC Athena as my main phone just to use once in awhile--that makes no sense. I want my Treo 80% of the time and this 20%.

I want my laptop rarely.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    sigh. Not really what I was hoping for. It's basically a thin client for a smartphone instead of for a server? or a thin client that gets to your server via your smartphone, perhaps.

We'll know more tomorrow. I'm in San Diego now and will be meeting with Palm Reps tomorrow evening for (I hope) a hands-on.
  15. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I can't wait to see how Jeff Hawkins pitches this. Initially, I was kinda like "uggh" but now that I think about it maybe it's not so bad.

Besides, we haven't seen any pics of it yet. Can't wait, see you guys after the presentation to discuss!
    I guess his '3rd category' is basically called 'Accessories for Smartphones' grrr
    Jeff is a smart guy. Maybe he deliberately threw this BS "leak" up to throw everyone off. This CAN'T be it.

All I wanted was a Treo-like device or better with GPS. If Palm isn't ready to provide that, maybe it's time to find a WM device that will.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Well, that's just it: then this isn't for you. You also don't need to carry it around if you actually do not need it.

Read Hawkin's quote again:

"However, there are times when people need a large screen and full-size keyboard. As smartphones get smaller, this need increases. The Foleo completes the picture creating a mobile-computing system that sets a new standard in simplicity."

If you don't meet the above criteria, then this is not what you want/need.

I actually need what Hawkin's is saying. Sometimes I really want a larger screen and keyboard..but I'm not going to buy a HTC Athena as my main phone just to use once in awhile--that makes no sense. I want my Treo 80% of the time and this 20%.

I want my laptop rarely.
    I think part of the disappointment so far is this: Palm has virtually shut down all development of the Treo line since the 650. The 650 was literally a piece of **** when it was released. The keyboards were junk and you couldn’t even talk on the thing. There have only been incremental updates in the new devices. The only reason we could excuse this is that we believed they were developing something better, something revolutionary. Something that would change the way people live. Like the Microwave, VCR, PC, or the Internet. Unrealistic? Apparently. Turns out they have been developing an accessory, a rather large one too. Oh yea, they have been working on Linux and developed a beta backup service that backs up PIM info to their server. They have developed the My Palm web site. On there I can get a free game if I had room on the 650 for the extra spy ware and some information about support for my device. Same informaiton that was always there just easier to find. I’m glad they developed what you need but I think the majority of us are under whelmed to say the least.
    Last edited by scsanden; 05/30/2007 at 03:14 AM.
    What if this device can be used as a standalone product and a smartphone companion as well? Do not forget this sentence:

Palm hopes to replicate earlier success with developers by drawing a large community to create new applications that will extend the mobile companion’s capabilities.

Why creating new applications if it wouldn't be a standalone product?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast