Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314
    Quote Originally Posted by alphabed View Post
    not so because it won't help me much on an airplane. While a terminal is appealing, it always requires a _good_ connection to run citrix/remote desktop etc. and without it, it does strictly nothing.
    My suggestion was for a device that did remote desktop for when you need access to large amounts of data and processing power and intelligent office applications (e.g. Microsoft OneNote) for when you do not have network access.

With OneNote and Groove, it doesn't matter whether I am connected to the network or not, I get to work on my file(s). As soon as I get back in contact with the network, they synchronize, so I don't have to worry about handling multiple versions. The trick here is knowing what you will need to take with you to work on offline (a problem that you still have if you use a laptop and desktop) - and if software can guess right 90% of the time, they just saved me the logistical nightmare of syncrhonizing my pen-drive.

I find the current EVDO setup more than adequate for remote desktop, so a device that can marry all of these features together seamlessly is going to appeal to all the people who work from remote locations and don't spend their entire life in a plane (heck they have wifi on cruise ships, so planes and state forests are the few places you can't do wireless data).

Sadly, it seems that the Foleo falls well short of that solution, which would be relatively easy to implement.

Steve
    Hi Guys

A Given
    This is not a thing for everyone

I had really hoped it would replace my Treo 650 entirley

ie have voice and a sim card connectivity (GSM)

I know you can work with excel on a treo but with what a Microsope to see the bigger picture.

GSM connectivity will probably come in wave 2 of this device

Oh Well here comes my treo 680 upgrade while I wait a year for version 2.

Remember umpc are also just as dumb (yeah maybe the are running winXP) but I think ol "Hawk" realises this version is a pilot to see what people want and where it will go

There is also a lot of battery development going on

Imagine skype, cell fone connectivity and calls on this device and you could run it entirely independent from your treo and your desktop ???

I think this is part of a developmental stage

I mean look
    pilot - palm - visor - handspring - treo 180 + 270 + 600 +650 then most successful 680

Took a bit of a run up to get it rite !!!!

Maybe that is what this is !!!

a run up to find the right mix !!!

Cheers before somebody shoots me
    Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars View Post
    I told a friend of mine this afternoon that I don't expect a whole lot more innovation in things like the Treo. Why? It's a mature market.
    Palm does not need to innovate, they just need to catch up with the rest of the market. Everyone else is doing thin, WIFI, GPS and good cameras.

Palm still has a lot of maturing to do.

Surur
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Full-blown computer systems are overkill for way too many people. Make something like this easy to use, and I think you'd be surprised who's using it.
    I think that sums it up nicely, Tom. The Foleo isn't aimed at gadget geeks who think nothing of hauling around electronics, finding power sources, and waiting for stuff to power up. It's for people who need to get stuff done, now.

Think back to your original PDA. Remember how easy it was to switch it on, enter a new appointment/task and stick it away again? PDAs became widely used for precisely that reason. They let you just use the technology without having to "deal" with the technology.

To a lot of people, a computer is a strange and mysterious thing they must live with in order to get work (and play) done. That includes laptop computers and especially any communications wizardry they might need to get things done with that laptop. In the end, they deal with it because they have to. Give them an easier way to do the same thing, and they must might be elated.
    Quote Originally Posted by musk View Post
    I think that sums it up nicely, Tom. The Foleo isn't aimed at gadget geeks who think nothing of hauling around electronics, finding power sources, and waiting for stuff to power up. It's for people who need to get stuff done, now.

Think back to your original PDA. Remember how easy it was to switch it on, enter a new appointment/task and stick it away again? PDAs became widely used for precisely that reason. They let you just use the technology without having to "deal" with the technology.

To a lot of people, a computer is a strange and mysterious thing they must live with in order to get work (and play) done. That includes laptop computers and especially any communications wizardry they might need to get things done with that laptop. In the end, they deal with it because they have to. Give them an easier way to do the same thing, and they must might be elated.
    nah, I just dont buy it. This is going to have a very short shelf-life.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    nah, I just dont buy it. This is going to have a very short shelf-life.
    Not if it's marketed right. A Windows PC completely baffles my mother and she doesn't use it for anything other than email and web. That's mostly all my father uses a PC for any more, either, though he does like the digital camera and printing pictures.

Something like this would work pretty well for them. OK, I grant you the screen's a little small, perhaps, but it seems like it'd have enough horsepower.

The vast majority of the people out there are not using the latest hardware, are not using the latest software, and they don't care! It WORKS for them, and that's all they ask.

People aren't upgrading to Vista over XP because Vista offers them nothing they don't already have except prettier icons and a lot of annoying questions. They can still do their email and web browsing, view the latest pics of the grandchildren, and they're happy.

YOU, by definition (and I don't mean you, personally, but everyone who is reading this board), are not a typical user. Most people here would be considered power users. Hell, you loaded more than a hundred dollars worth of software on your Treo right when you got it, didn't you? :-)

A market does exist for this device. It's only a question of whether the market is large enough for the number of units they're going to make. Just because the Treo power user has no use for it doesn't mean there's no use for it. Also, think of the world-wide market. This thing might well fly off of the shelves overseas. How many neat gadgets are made for Japan, for example, that we never see here?

Let's see how it's marketed and how it evolves. Let's not pay attention to the same dozen people who log onto TreoCentral to say that it sucks. We've been surprised before.

Tom
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    You think this device is aimed at old people and others frustrated by a Windows PC? Just wait until you tell them they have to sync their smartphone with a bluetooth connection to enable the EVDO data connection.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams View Post
    You think this device is aimed at old people and others frustrated by a Windows PC? Just wait until you tell them they have to sync their smartphone with a bluetooth connection to enable the EVDO data connection.
    LOL!
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Let's see how it's marketed and how it evolves. Let's not pay attention to the same dozen people who log onto TreoCentral to say that it sucks. We've been surprised before.
    Tom - no offense...but when have we been surprised by Palm in a positive way before?
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams View Post
    you took the words right out of my keyboard!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    Ok, I lied...

Here's what Jeff Hawkins said...

"Ultimately, it will make smartphones more successful," he said in an interview. "The volume we anticipate selling of Foleo initially will be small compared to the volume of Treos. It's not going to be a driver in the short term. But it allows us to rethink how you design smartphones."

That sounds like a realistic assessment to me.
    Funny how they're already planning to interpret the low sales volumes of this as essentially "moving in the right direction, but not there yet" while they've already been interpreting the low sales volumes of their antiquated traditional PDA models as proving that the PDA market is dying/dead. I'm not sure where I stand on the "separates" concept, but it seems to me that they should be giving the more traditional PDA market the same chance they're going to give the FOLEO, by bringing that up-to-date with this Linux OS, other improved features, and the "quick-tethering" features that the FOLEO offers.

I think that a TX/Lifedrive refresh with 4GB of flash storage, the FOLEO Bluetooth-to-phone tethering capabilities, and a virtual thumbboard (excuse the plug - in case you didn't know, I created just such an app ) could be a popular device. Though I'd personally just as soon take that idea and build the smartphone into it completely, so as to reduce bulk further.

If Palm's plan is to go the route of Sony in their early Palm OS days by throwing out a bunch of different designs and seeing which ones stick, I'm all for it. But something tells me that they're not planning to be so ambitious about it and, instead, will give this FOLEO design a shot and we won't be seeing any other design alternatives for at least another year. If they move that slowly, they'll be left in the dust by the competition.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Palm has seen the last of my hard-earned Benjamins, I'm afraid to say.

The hype was wildly undeserved and the product so completely underwhelming, so WHATEVER, that it has left me speechless.

I loved PalmOS and have tolerated the WM versions but they better fix the fundamentals and HYPE THE RIGHT SH!T - which would be a Linux-based TREO!
    aiyaaa...I want to see them perfecting treo instead of wasting energy into a piece of junk like foleo that we don't need...

One of the product managers should get a Nokia E61 (or US version E62) and try to emulate all the features in E61 - wifi, 3G, camera as an option, long battery life - but with palm OS we are all hooked into. My patience is growing thin!!!!!
    Last edited by Dolphin; 05/30/2007 at 10:42 PM.
    This thing is cool.
    If it runs Java, it will be even cooler.

My medical charts software runs on Linux. This can free me from my desk. I can take take my office home, to the hospital, etc. Before any of you say something about a Tablet, Laptop of Ultramobile device, i have several of each and none works well. Short battery life and long startup times make them useless.

Every Doctor I know has a Treo. I suspect that soon everyone will have one of these.

Way to go Palm.
    I miss my dead UX50
    Quote Originally Posted by sfischermd View Post
    This thing is cool.
    If it runs Java, it will be even cooler.

My medical charts software runs on Linux. This can free me from my desk. I can take take my office home, to the hospital, etc. Before any of you say something about a Tablet, Laptop of Ultramobile device, i have several of each and none works well. Short battery life and long startup times make them useless.

Every Doctor I know has a Treo. I suspect that soon everyone will have one of these.

Way to go Palm.
    It can't even sync with the calendar. The Treo itself has much, much more functionality and extensibility. Even though it looks like a notebook computer, all it does is e-mail, allowing you to edit Office docs that are sent to you as attachments. I don't think it even runs the DocsToGo version that the Treo uses. You can run Opera, and access the Web via Wi-Fi, but no video.

It would be nice if such a device could be developed with the productivity apps, processing power and memory to be a usable, standalone notebook computer.
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
    According to the TC description of the DTG software on the Foleo, you can create [I don't know about PPT], view and edit Office docs accessed via e-mail attachments, Bluetooth from the Treo's memory, or from an SD card.

So, it appears for now, that if you love to type (I have speech recognition on my laptop and it works great), and don't much else but type and read e-mail, the Foleo's for you. Ed Colligan says in his interview with the WSJ, that "...you'll see very quickly thousands of applications..." generated by the developers. So if this device becomes a hit, it could evolve into something more useful. But, I haven't given up on the smartphone meme. I'm waiting for the better Treo like everyone else on this forum.
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
    Just buy a palm wireless keyboard for your treo and be done with it.
    I like the Foleo concept and will consider buying when features of the first release are known. However, based upon what I have seen so far my ideas for improvements (not in order of preference) are as follows:

* The PIMs should be on the device and should sync with the Treo.
    * Instant messaging
    * Camera facing user - for instant messaging.
    * I'd like to see the new OS launcher, hoping that not all apps are launched from the menu only, but that a launcher is available and also that 3rd party apps could be created to expand on the launcher.
    * I'd like to see Garnet applications running directly on the Foleo in a window.
    * A touch screen
    * I'd like an application that allows me to see the treo's screen on the Foleo's and to control the Treo from the Foleo (requiring the touchscreen feature)...this would enable any app to be controlled via the Foleo and enable the Treo screen to be enlarged for viewing and the Foleo keyboard to be used. So, therefore the Foleo would be able to 'access' any app on the Treo.
    * Printer drivers to connect via WiFi/Bluetooth/USB to networked/local printer.
    * File application that uses WiFi/Bluetooth connection to desktop PC to access PC/Network Files.
    * Application to control a PC from the Foleo and to see the PC screen on the Foleo. This could allow you to be in a meeting room and display an application running on the desktop in your office. This would therefore enable the PC processor to be used but the application to be viewed on the Foleo.
    * Screen that swivels and then folds back down to hide the keyboard, thus turning the Foleo into a tablet (large PDA).
    * Handwriting recognition (graffiti).
    * Built-in Flash measured in GB (4GB/8GB/16GB).
    * Tabs within Web application to enable multiple web pages to be opened at once.
    * Button to switching between applications such as in <Alt>+<Tab>.
    * Button to return to launcher while keeping application open/running.
    * Buttons to use as launchers for user defined applications.
    * Voice control, voice in instant message app or Skype applications.
    * If applications are downloaded to the Foleo and then installed I would like the option of keeping the install files on external storage so as to keep them on hand in the event of a hard reset (more fail safe than restore from SD card in a Treo).

Don't tell me to go out and buy a laptop....I have one already. Anyway, the above are just my ideas for improvement for the Foleo.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314