Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I see no mention of it having a touchscreen or mouse, image the the mess of having to navigate with a five way nav pad?
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlg View Post
    Am I the only one who is watching the webcast and is actually getting excited about this thing.

I can already see Google writing apps for it that link to their email calendar and other apps.
    When you're done watching the webcast, check this out. I bet you can get one for well under $500!
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    Well, they didn't ask my questions. Although I occasionally want to see flash animations or larger-screen emails and attachments on my treo... 400$ looks expensive. I would like it for those rare occasions when my treo isn't quite big enough, but not at that price, I think.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    I think Hawkins firmly believes that people are wanting to rid themselves of computers and home phone lines in favor of smartphones. But they are thusfar unwilling to do so because the smartphone's limitations necessitate a PC.

So he envisions the smartphone being the main form of connectivity (both voice and data) by way of IM, email, voice, SMS, MMS, etc. as we become more of an unplugged society. So to fill the "secondary" needs, he fills that void with the Foleo. So now, people have a means of using a larger screen and full keyboard when need be.

However, I think the entire premise behind this belief and the product is flawed. Yes, people want more connectivity at their disposal when they are away from their desk/home, but they want the standard desktop/laptop and the power, flexibility, and familiarity that it brings when they are at home or work.

Maybe Hawkins made assumptions based upon his own needs and desires, but this will not have any semblance of wide popularity. The market for this kind of device is very very small.

Certainly small enough that Hawkins and Palm should have spent their time, money and resources on how to better compete with the Blackberry, Q, Blackjack, and other smartphones which passed Palm long ago.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    After all these years, *this* is what they come up with? This is going to revolutionize mobile computing? Didn't anyone in the entire organization run a sanity check on this thing years ago??? Unbelievable.

I literally feel embarassed for Palm. It's like watching a friend make a complete fool of themselves in public.... Ouch.
    Marc... There was mention of Versamail, but not of Chatter compatibility.
    I was hoping they'd have Chatter on it, or at least link with the Chatter on my treo.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    VersaMail is what's there for email.

Marc
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    VersaMail is what's there for email.

Marc
    So, even if I did want this...."thing" (which I don't), I couldn't sync it w/ the best email app for the Palm OS? All I can say is wow...great job (please hear the sarcasm).
    No wonder it took them years to come up with this, it really takes an effort to come up with something that bad.
  10. dhl
    Okay...I'm not reading this entire thread, but I get the idea. Surprise, surprise, it's not exactly what you were all hoping for. Of course, what folks normally are looking for in these threads is something along the lines of a 4 CPU phone with wifi, bluetooth, EVDO, a full size keyboard, a 1280x1024 screen, 32TB of memory, a 700 hour battery, a beer tap,...

Put me in the minority, but this product is almost EXACTLY what I was looking for. I was very much hoping for a device that would hook to my phone for connectivity, bur provide a larger screen, a larger keyboard, and a beefier processor. I did NOT need another wireless account or to pay for (and carry around) more hardware than I need...especially since I almost ALWAYS have my phone nearby.

I have been looking for a solution for work. We cannot surf to many sites here in the office (i.e., websense blocks them) and all of our surfing is monitored. I'm not talking about surfing to "those" sites. For example, for some time access to sourceforge.net has been blocked...because one of the 200,000 projects that it hosts relates to file sharing. *sigh* Plus, yes, I would like to surf ESPN at lunch and not have it observed/logged.

Thus, I was really hoping for a device like this. My phone bandwidth is okay and an upgrade to a Treo 700 or 755 would help...but my Treo 650's small screen, small keyboard, and the GLACIAL pace at which blazer renders pages makes surfing on my phone all but impossible.

So what do I not like? Not sure that I fully understand all of its features, but at first blush:

- I would have liked a touchpad, touchscreen, or ability to connect a mouse...I HATE the IBM nipple

- The price seems high. I could get an actual laptop for that price. Perhaps not a laptop that small, but c'mon, this thing doesn't have a hard drive and has a fairly simple architecture...with NO required OS commission to Redmond.

Oh well, for 400 beans I'm there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagbklyn View Post
    It seems that this device relies on someone have unlimited web access, which is a separate plan on smart phones. Many treo users already have laptops. This is just a smaller pc that will drain the battery in your smart phone more quickly. This is a niche market but wouldn't is serve the same purpose as getting a fuji or toshiba slim notebook? And I can see this catered towards the corporate world, but how many corporation will actually purchase this for their employees. I think palm dropped the bucket, and lets hope they have something else down the pipe. By the way where's the 700p update, the week is almost done.

I priced one recently...and a notebook this size (actually, slightly larger) will set you back over 2000 beans. You will certainly be getting more for your money, but you will be paying for it.

Please, if I am wrong, post me a link so I can buy a super slim 2lb laptop today for 500 beans. I will gladly admit that I am wrong as I reach for my wallet.
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Okay...I'm not reading this entire thread, but I get the idea. Surprise, surprise, it's not exactly what you were all hoping for. Of course, what folks normally are looking for in these threads is something along the lines of a 4 CPU phone with wifi, bluetooth, EVDO, a full size keyboard, a 1280x1024 screen, 32TB of memory, a 700 hour battery, a beer tap,...

Put me in the minority, but this product is almost EXACTLY what I was looking for. I was very much hoping for a device that would hook to my phone for connectivity, bur provide a larger screen, a larger keyboard, and a beefier processor. I did NOT need another wireless account or to pay for (and carry around) more hardware than I need...especially since I almost ALWAYS have my phone nearby.

I have been looking for a solution for work. We cannot surf to many sites here in the office (i.e., websense blocks them) and all of our surfing is monitored. I'm not talking about surfing to "those" sites. For example, for some time access to sourceforge.net has been blocked...because one of the 200,000 projects that it hosts relates to file sharing. *sigh* Plus, yes, I would like to surf ESPN at lunch and not have it observed/logged.

Thus, I was really hoping for a device like this. My phone bandwidth is okay and an upgrade to a Treo 700 or 755 would help...but my Treo 650's small screen, small keyboard, and the GLACIAL pace at which blazer renders pages makes surfing on my phone all but impossible.

So what do I not like? Not sure that I fully understand all of its features, but at first blush:

- I would have liked a touchpad, touchscreen, or ability to connect a mouse...I HATE the IBM nipple

- The price seems high. I could get an actual laptop for that price. Perhaps not a laptop that small, but c'mon, this thing doesn't have a hard drive and has a fairly simple architecture...with NO required OS commission to Redmond.

Oh well, for 400 beans I'm there.
    Hey scubasteve you are in that niche market, but im pretty sure you would have to upgrade to the 700 or 755, and you would have to add a mobile data plan to be able to use the foleo. Many users love the treo because they're in an office or environment where they can't whip out a keyboard or device that size. This is mainly catered towards email users which is exactly why people have blackberries, so they can have there emails on the go. So theoretically PALM came out with a device that is maybe a head of its time since there isn't wifi or phone service everywhere you go. I think palm should have held off until wimax was released. If they think this device is going to hold them for the next 5-10 years like the treo did they better wake a smell some i-phone.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    I priced one recently...and a notebook this size (actually, slightly larger) will set you back over 2000 beans. You will certainly be getting more for your money, but you will be paying for it.

Please, if I am wrong, post me a link so I can buy a super slim 2lb laptop today for 500 beans. I will gladly admit that I am wrong as I reach for my wallet.
    Goto Ebay, search for Jornada and check your email, edit office docs and view web pages to your heart's content at less than $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by alphabed View Post
    not enough software titles ?

iPhone will be a closed platform, so that's not really an option either ...

palm is dead, windows mobile isn't really attractive ... man, mobile computing is really dead
    Symbian!

Maybe Palm would have done themselves a favor by not overhyping this thing. It's an underpowered laptop. It's going to have a very small market. Anyone familiar with a laptop is going to grow frustrated with it's limitations. Why they didn't build wifi and 3g, I don't get. That would seem obvious. I would expect it in any new device, smartphone, compact laptop or otherwise.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Another possible market is wireless folding keyboards. With this, you don't need one. Add folding keyboard is $99, but this gives you a screen, some memory, and WiFi. It basically plugs the holes of Treo.

I have a crapy IR keyboard in my bag. If I really want to replace it, I may consider Foleo. But I rarely uses the keyboard, so I am not going to get a Foleo now. If its price goes down to $199 (potentially use a smaller screen, like 1024x300), I will be more interested.
    Miss the mark. Jump the Shark. Screw the Pooch. Anyway you label it, Foleo probably has drained so much development resource from PalmOS smart phone devices, that little or nothing will be left to compete with other vendors.

If a Palm device user need portable bigger screen, full keyboard, etc. he *already* has a laptop. Users who don't need laptops don't need anything like a laptop. D'OH!

I've been a Palm user and fan since the original Palm Pilot days: PalmPilot 5000, Palm Vx, Treo 600, Treo 650.

But I am astounded at how badly this company, brand, and platform have been (mis) managed over the years, and continue to be mismanaged.

I'm gonna go out and buy the latest and greatest Palm smartphone right away, because in another year or two, this ham-handed, two-left-feet, all thumbs, numb-nuts company will not be producing smartphones that I prefer.

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!
    Day-Timer (1995) > Palm Pilot 5000 (1996) > Palm Vx (1999) > Treo 600 (2003) > Treo 650 (2006)

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!
    Again, I think it would be very wrong to assume that this specifically "drained" resources from anything else.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    Again, I think it would be very wrong to assume that this specifically "drained" resources from anything else.

Marc
    Considering the source of the comment above, this is the best thing I've heard all day and what is keeping me hopeful that better stuff will come from Palm before the end of the year.
    Foleo and 755p - 3 different memory card formats, sheesh

755p - forces change to miniSD
    Foleo - back to SD (yeah, miniSD->SD adapter, but really)