Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast
    This is the beginning of the end for Palm. Time for TreoCentral to rename itself - because I would like for this kind of resource to exist for my next device...
    Hillarious!

When did they last look at companies that actually make innovative products, HTC, for example ?

This won't replace a laptop and since on business travel you'll always need a laptop anyway, who would want this? With a new linux OS?

Only one question: any suggestions for a small and slim smartphone that syncs well with a MAC and a PC? What's the easiest to migrate too from Palm Desktop?
    I'm so embarrassed for them. I truly am.

I just don't know how he is going to present this and pretend small (real) laptops don't already exist.

Seriously!
    bouncing off the top of this cloud. I'll be on VIRB.
    Quote Originally Posted by alphabed View Post
    Hillarious!

When did they last look at companies that actually make innovative products, HTC, for example ?

This won't replace a laptop and since on business travel you'll always need a laptop anyway, who would want this? With a new linux OS?

Only one question: any suggestions for a small and slim smartphone that syncs well with a MAC and a PC? What's the easiest to migrate too from Palm Desktop?
    Blackberry
    Ohhhhh.... I see what is going on now... Seeing how they haven't updated a Palm Desktop application in ages for either Mac or PC, maybe they have just given up on that altogether and are going to try to force people to sync their Palms to this POS (and that's not Palm operating system....).
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    If you look at the photos, they even got the Palm logo placement wrong.
    It's like the old Apple laptops...the logo is upside down when open and advertising to everyone else.
    Also Hawkins admitted it doesn't even do Youtube videos..it's not powerful enough.
    I'm not passing final judgment yet, but this does not look good at first blush for Palm's future.
    I too am not the greatest of fans of this. But I do see their point, and Palm is a few steps ahead of many of you.

Make the smartphone the center of your computing life and let devices revolve around it. Simple thought, and if Treos were a good bit more stable, feature friendly, etc., this would be even better of an idea.

The real debate going on in my head, as I would consider a device like this, is if it runs other Garnet OS apps. If so, then you could replace a laptop with this pretty easily, and the paradigm shift of computing could happen.

IMO however, its reaching too far, and not far enough at the same time.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
    Blackberry
    not enough software titles ?

iPhone will be a closed platform, so that's not really an option either ...

palm is dead, windows mobile isn't really attractive ... man, mobile computing is really dead
    I don't wish Palm ill. It's just sad to see them go.

I feel the same way I did about Apple in the Gil Amelio era, when we thought Apple was dying a slow, painful death. The only difference here is that the Palm founder is already back, and any magic he ever had has clearly vanished. So no savior possibilities here...
    R.I.P. Palm....it was nice knowing you.
    LOL... 10 inch linux laptop. This is not even a subnotebook, its reaching the small notebook range.

I can getlighter a 7" screened notebook RUNNING XP for maybe 300-400 more. And it will run way more program and run any video codec you throw at it. And it will have a harddrive and store your media library. Sure the boot time is not as good as the linux laptop wanttabe. But what's the point of instant boot time if its so freaking big?

Why don't they be royal to their customers and make at least a LifeDrive update with flash memory? That would make more sense to me.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    LOL... 10 inch linux laptop. This is not even a subnotebook, its reaching the small notebook range.

I think they invented a new category: Sub-par Notebook.
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Hey Antoine, I hear what you are saying. The problem is that the technology wasn't there for this shift.
    I think it will happen one day, but it won't resemble a laptop in size or appearance.
    I think Hawkins attempted to do this with what tech was readily available (imho opinion this was very foolish) instead of focusing on improving the smartphone.
    Another words, I don't think the phones are smart enough nor technology advanced enough to pull this off at this time.
    I wish I could say nice try, but having never used one; and usually reserving judgment until having hands on; I'm already thinking it's a dud.

Ultimately you have to let smartphones become the center of computing before you try to pull this, but we are just moving from the Dekstop to the Laptop and not even close to the smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDot View Post
    Hey Antoine, I hear what you are saying. The problem is that the technology wasn't there for this shift.
    I think it will happen one day, but it won't resemble a laptop in size or appearance.
    I think Hawkins attempted to do this with what tech was readily available (imho opinion this was very foolish) instead of focusing on improving the smartphone.
    Another words, I don't think the phones are smart enough nor technology advanced enough to pull this off at this time.
    I wish I could say nice try, but having never used one; and usually reserving judgment until having hands on; I'm already thinking it's a dud.
    I agree with you Dot.
    What Hawkins counldnt do is push the carriers out of the way, which could have made the means for a really revolutionary device. Apple pushed, and therefore has something close.

I do think though that the underpinnings to Foleo would make for a very interesting take on the Treo lineup. Especailly a top of the line model.

Waiting to play with it might indeed be the best thing.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Hey, SeldomVisitor just posted this over at palminfocenter. Hilarious again!

== "...WM Let me get this straight. It won't do the hottest thing
    == on the web? [They blame the flash ware, but its obviously the procesor]
    ==
    == JH Let me be clear -- it will do it, but not well.
    ==
    == WM When?
    ==
    == JH UHHH...In the future.
    ==
    == JH If I could do it again, I'd put a faster processor in here.

Gack!
    Quote Originally Posted by gene View Post
    I guess we'll see it tomorrow, but if that is what it is, I'm disappointed. The treo was to get rid of multiple items you carry around. The last thing I want is more devices to put in my pocket.

agreed...what is the point to this device??? i can already carry around a laptop with wifi built in, or buy a wifi card. this device seems pointless. thank you palm for disappointing us again!
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    This device is not for Treo users.

My wife has a little flip phone from sprint that she uses a lot for email and limited web browsing all the time, I could see her using something like this, but not me with my 755

Hawkins mentioned smartphones getting smaller and smaller.

Perhaps one of the future Treos is a much smaller device with no built-in keyboard, maybe even a little flip phone that would be a successor to the old I-500.

With a smaller screen and no keyboard, this thing might make some sense but nor for a current Treo user, IMO
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I probably wont be the first to make the comparison...but this will end up being renamed Palm's folly!

I'm done with Palm as well...we've all been waiting for a better smartphone and what do they give us but spending $500 to enhance a device that can't even compete in the existing marketplace...Ive been a customer for nearly 10 years and hate to start over using another device but I begin my search today...
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
    I think they invented a new category: Sub-par Notebook.
    but, why??? dont we have the tytn, now the new kaiser, the 503g---?!?
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.