Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Take this with a huuuuuuuuuge grain of salt - if its true - it doesn't sound super revolutionary to me unless the Location Based Services Part is done really well. (that could be the secret weapon cause LBS really should take off over the next 5 years)......

From Palminfocenter.com

http://www.palminfocenter.com/comments/9430/

Cat's Outta the Bag!
    LiveFaith @ 5/29/2007 12:14:50 AM #

Mr. Hawkins will reveal a device with a new form factor.

It will have a keyboard, be thinner than recent Treos but be a bit larger frontally and have a larger landscape (rectangular) oriented OLED display.

It will not be too large to be pocketed or hip-holstered, thus it will be significantly smaller than a UMPC and even some large PDAs. It is very portable, not something to be "carried".

It will be shown with 60gb of onboard storage (20gb will also be mentioned), as well as miniSD expansion.

It will have 400mhz+ under the hood, dedicated video graphics and a DSP, with an integrated array of power management features to help fuel economy.

Wireless will be BTv2, CDMA (850/1900 MHz) radio with EVDO and legacy 1xRTT. Most notably will be the brand new WiMax data (announced in concert with Sprint's honchos on stage). Wireless is where the action is, as this device will offer more web based data storage / retrieval and even some location based services, integrated in a way not seen before on a Palm. WiFi will once again NOT be present, nor will the longstanding infrared capability.

Device will run on the new Palm OS Linux layer and will be fully compatible with legacy "well written" Palm OS apps. Wireless "transfers" will be handled seamlessly across multiple radios.

Other notables: A camera will be on the device with 2.1mpx and have strong video capability. The price of admission for top versions will also be a bit high, but not out of line with Palm's past high-end smartphone and PDA releases. USBv2 will be the wired connector. Hotsync will give way to a newer integrated sync mechanism. The new OS will hint at it's Palm OS roots, but will be much more graphical and modern. The recent media apps on Treos fit very well with the GUI scheme. New fonts will be available throughout, but will not extend to legacy apps. A portfolio of integrated multimedia and web tools, onboard, for PC/Mac and on even Palm's new web portal (at release) are designed to put this technology in a class by itself.

Most notably, the announcement will reveal an early fall release date and a series of devices of the same genre to come, based on more or less hardware features and pricing points. You should see no leaks on the internet, since Jeff will actually be "leaking" a future device. Palm will have it's usual "photo leaks" over the summer. A higher and lower cost device will be released on Sprint USA in early fall. No word on GSM carriers or VZW. This will be the future of Palm computing going forward.

The hardware will evoke "it's about time Palm", but the web based and multimedia integration is where the headlines will be made. This is exciting!

Pat Horne

RE: Cat's Outta the Bag!
    LiveFaith @ 5/29/2007 12:23:29 AM #

... I forgot to include the announcement in conjunction with Sprint on the Qualcomm mobile TV service on the high end model.

Pat Horne
    Upon reading the specs, it sounds too radical for me to believe it's a Palm device. How could Palm go through all these years releasing devices with such moderate and sometimes lacking specs, and then all of a sudden release a beastly device with lots of storage and lots of wireless connectivity? I'll believe it when I see it.
    This is interesting. Looking forward to the hawkins' hour.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I don't believe it. WIMAX isn't finished, CDMA is a small wireless footprint worldwide, everyone wants low price PDA's, and who wants a 60GB moveable hard drive!!? flash is where its at!

If you ask me... it will either be a computer or a new PDA line. forget Treo... this is a total new smartphone. Take the treo, keep the keyboard, make it as thin as a Q, 3MP camera, 512MB storage, GSM with WIFI and UMTS, Palm OS with Linux layer, etc. Pack it up and sell it for $299-399. It would kill anything Apple will release with there price point!
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Hey, I thought he was releasing new "brains" for all of us........
    no wifi & not a world phone?? bahh
    Aah... "LifeDrive II"

Good competition for the iPhone, if it exists...
    Interesting...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Uninteresting.. GSM FTW.
    Who is Pat Horne, by the way? Palm insider or someone on the Palm lunatic fringe?
    Respectable prediction.

But to satisfy the 'unfulfilled promise of wireless' (or something like that), it's gotta go beyond just a new form factor. I'm expecting some serious LBS, wireless authentication, and device-to-device interaction, along with the potential for developers to build new services on it.

Btw, for location-based services, you kinda need gps.
    Sounds interesting but I can't imagine Palm coming out with a disk drive device, flash maybe. It also seems a bit early for WiMax but some vendor has to be first, why not Palm? Regarding CDMA, that would fit into other Palm cellular releases and going with Sprint. However, I would imagine they'd do a CDMA/GSM device ala the new Blackberry. While I doubt the authenticity of the article, I'm sure some of those features will be in whatever Palm releases.
    I can't wait for a real leak today, or the real announcement tomorrow. I hope we don't get stuck with a Linux emulator running on a monitor with the words "hardware to be announced soon".
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    I don't believe it. WIMAX isn't finished, CDMA is a small wireless footprint worldwide,
    Two counterpoints:

If you read about Wimax you'll see the "chip" is actually a hybrid Wifi/Wimax chip that is the same size as a standard Wifi chip. This was to keep cost of manufacturing and deployment down.

Wimax probably won't be activated out of the gates but "turned on" via an update, like the 750's HSDPA.

As far CDMA is a small wireless footprint...

Sprint has always been the biggest Palm customer here in the US always releasing their devices first.

Newer Intel radio chipsets are actually software controlled: so you can have a "GSM device" and a "CDMA device" with mostly the same interiors, just with some small modifications to enable one and disbale the other (obviously a SIM chip/slot is needed too). So this is why we'll see more and more devices rolling out worldwide at the same time regardless of network technology.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    The spec is too "futuristic" , especially in regard to the thickness. The smallest UMPC is that Sony 5" Sidekick-styled laptop, which is a lot thicker than the Treo.

However if its true, then I say its a very ambitious device for Palm to overtake, and at the same time, in different to me.

I have a Nokia n800 on order, to me this is basically a n800 with keyboard and HDD. I like the radio, I like the EVDO/WiMax double punch more than wifi. However, the dual SD slot on the n800 is a much better storage solution than the HDD+miniSD slot. You get almost the same storage but consumes way less power. The 400mhz CPU is going to offer much better media playback than the n800.

Price wise I am guessing 700 and maybe 500 with Sprint subsidy.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Upon reading the specs, it sounds too radical for me to believe it's a Palm device. How could Palm go through all these years releasing devices with such moderate and sometimes lacking specs, and then all of a sudden release a beastly device with lots of storage and lots of wireless connectivity? I'll believe it when I see it.
    Probably because the Linux POS was not ready yet and the hardware was being designed to work with that. Garnet runs adequate on the Treo line and people bought the incremental upgrades so why do any drastic changes?

I would like to see something like the lifedrive but with a slide out side keyboard. And any revolutionary device will be CDMA because Sprint and VZW will both want it to combat Apple and AT&T.
    Its ambitious, and the specs are great, if the form factor matches the specs it'll be one super device.

Does a wimax enabled device mean its also wifi enabled? I dunno, im not techie

I cant wait to use the linux layer, its time for a change and time for these new os's to take center stage.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Sounds good, I can't wait to find out.
    I would definitely take Wimax over wifi
    I get a cell signal more then I get a wifi one and I love sprint it will be out before the end of the year and I'm in Chicago (one of the first cities to get it)
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    I heard from a respectible source that this new device is going to be a Palm-based Zune. You'll be able to choose from the Zune-W or the Zune-P. It won't come with Wi-fi built in, but you'll be able to add a Wi-Fi card in the future. You won't need Wi-Fi though, as the Zune-W and Zune-P will both support Bluetooth 1.2 for wireless transfers.

Revolutionary and totally unexpected.
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
    I heard from a respectible source that this new device is going to be a Palm-based Zune. You'll be able to choose from the Zune-W or the Zune-P. It won't come with Wi-fi built in, but you'll be able to add a Wi-Fi card in the future. You won't need Wi-Fi though, as the Zune-W and Zune-P will both support Bluetooth 1.2 for wireless transfers.

Revolutionary and totally unexpected.
    This isn't the forum for retarded jokes, wild speculation only please..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast