Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Brighthand Staff's Predictions for the Palm "Hawk"
    Submitted by Ed Hardy on Tuesday, May 22, 2007

For about two years now, Jeff Hawkins, one of Palm's founders, has been talking about his company's plans to create a third product category that's neither a handheld nor a smartphone. However, he's never been willing to say very much about this.

[edit by septimus - please do not repost entire articles. Follow link for story]

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13051
    Last edited by Dieter Bohn; 05/28/2007 at 02:06 PM.
    It seems I'm alone in thinking that the Hawk will remin pocketable. Hawkins has said before, if it's too big, it's useless because you have to think about whether you should bring it with you or not. I think it may have a nice big screen, but it will fold down to the Treo size and still remain usable when folded. Otherwise, I'm going to be a 700p user for a while...
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    It seems I'm alone in thinking that the Hawk will remin pocketable. Hawkins has said before, if it's too big, it's useless because you have to think about whether you should bring it with you or not. I think it may have a nice big screen, but it will fold down to the Treo size and still remain usable when folded. Otherwise, I'm going to be a 700p user for a while...
    youre not alone bro!

ditto.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    They seemed to have missed Hawkin's comment about many "gigabites for media." I fully expect a 30-80gig hard drive, hi-res screen, broadband internet, and remote computer access. Form factor will be like the Arcos players 504/604 (probably wide screen) with fold/flip keyboard like the tablet PCs. OS is tricky. I think it will use the Palm/Linux OS, but will have to have great MS support.

I believe many of the things we have been clamoring for will be on the Hawk/Foleo: Linux, WiFi, BT 2.0, etc.... I believe Palm has been holding out delivering those things to make the the Hawk that much more appealing.

Build it, and they will come...
    ...I'll take mine in Graphite!!!

Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    Quote Originally Posted by McTreo View Post
    They seemed to have missed Hawkin's comment about many "gigabites for media." I fully expect a 30-80gig hard drive, hi-res screen, broadband internet, and remote computer access. Form factor will be like the Arcos players 504/604 (probably wide screen) with fold/flip keyboard like the tablet PCs. OS is tricky. I think it will use the Palm/Linux OS, but will have to have great MS support.

I believe many of the things we have been clamoring for will be on the Hawk/Foleo: Linux, WiFi, BT 2.0, etc.... I believe Palm has been holding out delivering those things to make the the Hawk that much more appealing.

Build it, and they will come...
    ...I'll take mine in Graphite!!!

Mac
    Not familiar with the Acros player so apologies if it is....

The thing I hear Hawkins saying over and over and over in his little teases is:

portable. If its not going to fit into a pocket then its not what Hawkins is revealing. Im convinced its going to be a pocket sized handheld. I also agree with the above post that its going to have a TON of storage plus all the goodies we've been clamoring for.

As far as the OS it HAS to be the new one, otherwise how could garnet handle multitasking?

Just my $.02
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I'm right with you on that too.
    Looks like the unimaginable glacier paced Treo development of the past three years is going to manifest in a resounding breakthrough here.

I do agree with the comment above concerning the size. If this is not truly pocketable, then it is not truly "portable". A laptop is technically "portable", but I'm loving that my Treo 680 has all but replaced it for weeklong road trips. If it does not go on pocket or hip, comfortably, then it had better turn the PC world on it's head. Otherwise it's DOA.

Maybe this will manifest the reason that the traditional PDA has all but been assasinated at Palm. The "Foleo" may roll the best of the PDA along with the connectivity of the Treo in with the necessary multimedia applications, storage and compatibility to make it wow us. I imagine the guts of a T|X, keyboard&connectivity of a Treo & a Video iPod all rolled into one device.

Surely this is where Palm's R&D ha$ been for a looong while. I hope it's good.
    Patrick Horne
    I believe this is the web site that predicted the Treo 610 to be out in March 2004.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet View Post
    I believe this is the web site that predicted the Treo 610 to be out in March 2004.
    since Ive never heard of a 610 Im assuming youre being sarcastic?

Im sorry Im just wondering if you think theyre making things up or, if you think they might be accurate?
    There is no spoon.
    My point is that starting in late '03 they predicted a treo 600 replacement that never came to be. 'twas precited for March '04.

Call me cynical but the internet breeds a lot of talking from poopshoots by anyone with a domain address.

The device will come out but they don't know any more than you or me.
    My point is that starting in late '03 they predicted a treo 600 replacement that never came to be. 'twas precited for March '04.

Call me cynical but the internet breeds a lot of talking from poopshoots by anyone with a domain address.

HEY! The name's Mr. Poopshoot, buddy! Let's show a little respect!
    Too long; didn't read.

I predict it will be a Nokia n800 with EVDO radio build in, but a lot uglier. In other words, I am calling a 4" screen.

I agree. IMO, Brighthand's editorials are generally much less insightful than the average TC post.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Well here is another poopshoot's take on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    HEY! The name's Mr. Poopshoot, buddy! Let's show a little respect!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDot View Post
    Well here is another poopshoot's take on it.
    ha
    It seems like we have enough specifications to start photoshoping this Hawk device. How wants to start?

Al
    I expect Sprint to be on stage beside him showing the powerful impact of their new WiMax deployment running on a real breakthrough Palm device. Hawkins emphasized "super high speed" and "always connected" along with loadsa storage etc. The timing is right for WiMax on the World's Smartest device ... Kinda Sherlockish.

God, please just let the clipboard limit be expanded!!!
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    God, please just let the clipboard limit be expanded!!!
    or how about the number of catagories in either ones address book, memo's or calendar?

or, how about initiating a sync from either the palm or the desktop

or, how about the desktop being able to organize our playlists

I could go on for days!!!!!!!! Dont get me started!!!

one can wish right?
    There is no spoon.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast