Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    A month or so ago, maybe longer, I bought a TP Go off of eBay with the final webOS update to 3.0.6. I still haven't been able to take a backup from it, but I wanted to set it up before the final server shutdown next weekend and get all of my apps and info installed. I deleted the old profile, which was still listed as linked to the testing server, and bypassed activation so I could use Impostah to set up the profile override.

Unfortunately, the Device Profile Service Override patches - and every other patch - is available only for webOS 3.0.5. No patch will install. When I downloaded the DPSO patch directly and tried to install it using WOSQI, I get a message of "package dependencies not satisfied" and the patch won't install. No patches are available through Preware either, and I do have the testing feeds enabled.

I can't go into Impostah and change anything either, because I need the patch to save any changes. Don't I?

I just thought of this today and tried it, to get everything installed on the new device, and I'm leaving town tomorrow. Any suggestions welcome.
    Have you tried Internalz Pro to install the patches? I have no idea, but perhaps it doesn't make the checks - worth a try..?

Again, I'm no expert, but presumably to make version compatibility checks, the version data would be included in the patch (Apps may be more complicated). Could you open the patches in a text editor, search for, "3.0.5" and replace it with, "3.0.6"?

Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about, don't know what diferences there are between 3.0.5 & 3.0.6 and what might get broken by such fiddling around, so wait for more expert comments!
    krotech likes this.
  3.    #3  
    I did try Internalz Pro to apply the patch. The app said the patch was applied, but I still couldn't get any of the profile overrides to take, even after a restart. I tried to poke through the patch data to find any mentions of the OS version, but I didn't get much of a chance to look thoroughly. I also didn't want to break anything.

I was hoping to travel lighter this week, but I'll be taking my computer with me, in case someone chimes in over the next couple of days with an answer. I'd really like to run all my profile data into the Go instead of manually loading my apps, since I won't have the time to really sit down and load and patch everything (even if I can) until May or June at this point. What if I can't get any of the patches to work? The "Available Patches" line in Preware is grayed out. I can't select any of them.

I hope there are more expert comments! If we/the community manages to make a 3.0.6 Doctor for the Go, this might be a problem which really needs solving, if it's not just me screwing up something.
    You basically have to add the 3.0.5 feed in Preware manually. Preware normally automatically takes the feed based on your OS version. There is no feed for 3.0.6 so you won't get any app/patches. Just add the 3.0.5 feed and most will work.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Last time I looked at the feeds there is a 3.0.6, however, it was never populated with the patches as HP never officially released the version.. Thought there was a 2.2.5 but after further review it is not there....

http://ipkg.preware.net/feeds/webos-patches/

http://ipkg.preware.net/feeds/webos-patches/3.0.6/
    Can't you just enabled 'ignore device compatibility' in Preware? Or is that not the same thing?

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Can't you just enabled 'ignore device compatibility' in Preware? Or is that not the same thing?

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    I think "Ignore Device Compatibility" only applies to apps. Never thought to see if it applied to patches, too, but I think it does. When I got my Pre 3, there were a LOT of patches in Preware that I did not remember seeing before. Could be wrong.

Packed the Go, so I'll try the manual feed addition tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion!
    I really want to try the 3.0.6 system,can you send me a back up of your system?
  9.    #9  
    I don't have a backup yet, so I can't send you anything. Sorry.

I added the feed manually, got the patch installed, and logged into my profile through Impostah. So far, so good. However, the Go isn't downloading any of the apps I've bought or downloaded through the Catalog. The only updates I got were for the onboard apps. It also didn't download my contact list or any of my settings. So, it's registered but it's not grabbing my stuff.

I guess I can wait for the daily backup to happen and see if it catches anything then. If not, now that the device profile override is in place, can I delete my personal profile now, restart the device, and go through First Use and get my stuff that way? Will a profile reset also reset the override? I don't have my laptop with me, so I'm hesitant to do anything I can't fix on the device itself. Any further suggestions welcome.
    I don't think it will, but I can't remember for sure. Alan Morford had this issue. I'll page him.
    Quote Originally Posted by krotech View Post
    I don't have a backup yet, so I can't send you anything. Sorry.

I added the feed manually, got the patch installed, and logged into my profile through Impostah. So far, so good. However, the Go isn't downloading any of the apps I've bought or downloaded through the Catalog. The only updates I got were for the onboard apps. It also didn't download my contact list or any of my settings. So, it's registered but it's not grabbing my stuff.

I guess I can wait for the daily backup to happen and see if it catches anything then. If not, now that the device profile override is in place, can I delete my personal profile now, restart the device, and go through First Use and get my stuff that way? Will a profile reset also reset the override? I don't have my laptop with me, so I'm hesitant to do anything I can't fix on the device itself. Any further suggestions welcome.
    The only time you will get an auto account restore is by logging in at first use. You can try to reset the device now that you've connected to wifi using impostah. By impersonating a wifi tp or 4g tp you MIGHT be able to login and choose the backup you want restored. Otherwise you have to reinstall your apps manually and readd your accounts.
    Follow me on Twitter
  12.    #12  
    I think I misread your advice and took myself back to Step 1. I did reset the device and the First Use prompts come up, but I can't log in to my profile. I get the same error message I got before. I'll have to re-run devicetool and go through the whole process again.

I'm getting quicker at it, though. Better late than never!
  13.    #13  
    *sigh* I can't get this to work. I've followed mutoidi's document list, I've followed GMMan's instructions, I've followed Sumy's command line instruction, and nothing gets me connected. I keep getting

"Server Error. Please visit HP WebOS official website to help resolve this problem."

when the HP Terms and Conditions are supposed to display. I get a long delay between selecting the language and setting up the Wi-Fi (if I have a SIM card in, then it goes straight to the spinner), and then the Server Error.

Has HP has already turned off the registration server? My last backup on my Go and the TP 4G I have were both today.

I'm going to run devicetool one more time, and get myself back to that point, and call it a night.

ETA: And now I remember that the radio setup is ROW, which I remember someone writing here that that won't work in the US. It that the source of my woes? Or will it just not work with AT&T?
    Are you sure the Go is set to use the production server and not the internal server? From what I remember, 3.0.6 was only available on the internal server which does not allow first use login.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    By the way, there's no guarantee that you will ever be able to login at first use AND restore a backup. My Go has never restored a backup from a first use login.

Follow me on Twitter
  16.    #16  
    OK, that's a new wrinkle. Can I change the OS version the device sends to the server in Impostah?

The server is ps dot palmws dot com, correct? That is what I have.

I did restore a backup to my other Go through First Use, so it's worked once for me. Twice, actually, since I got the Database Full error once and had to restore it.
    Last edited by krotech; 03/10/2015 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Added comment on server
    Yes you can change the server with impostah.

Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by krotech View Post
    *sigh* I can't get this to work. I've followed mutoidi's document list, I've followed GMMan's instructions, I've followed Sumy's command line instruction, and nothing gets me connected. I keep getting

"Server Error. Please visit HP WebOS official website to help resolve this problem."

when the HP Terms and Conditions are supposed to display. I get a long delay between selecting the language and setting up the Wi-Fi (if I have a SIM card in, then it goes straight to the spinner), and then the Server Error.

Has HP has already turned off the registration server? My last backup on my Go and the TP 4G I have were both today.

I'm going to run devicetool one more time, and get myself back to that point, and call it a night.

ETA: And now I remember that the radio setup is ROW, which I remember someone writing here that that won't work in the US. It that the source of my woes? Or will it just not work with AT&T?
    I thought the reg servers were turned down as of Jan 15th. If so, you'll need to use device tool.

Nothing wrong with a ROW webos device. AT&T, T-Mobile HSDPA+ bands are all functional on a ROW.

The ATT versions have customizations that the ROW versions don't. You'll prolly need to manually create the APN for either one, settings for "broadband" apn on AT&T work fine on these devices.

If youve got an unlocked sierra, instead of an ericsson, then it has AT&T and T-Mob LTE bands enabled so again, the ROW device is not a factor.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I thought the reg servers were turned down as of Jan 15th. If so, you'll need to use device tool.
    Nope! But closing at the weekend:
    HP keeps the servers open for another two months | pivotCE
    Barry, I'm shocked and annoyed that you aren't subscribed to pivotCE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Nope! But closing at the weekend:
    HP keeps the servers open for another two months | pivotCE
    Barry, I'm shocked and annoyed that you aren't subscribed to pivotCE!
    OK, I acknowledge being remiss by not subscribing to pivotCE. I'll take care of that, pronto.

I have drifted quite far away from the webos world. The ACL for TP debacle was kind of the last straw for me. I was extremely dissatisfied with the result.

Those of you who know me knew I had quite a fancy for the GO device. I was hoping it would become the first "phablet" device to catch on with the public. SInce ACL crashed and burned (yes I know it's functional, hahahah is that all you expected or wanted out of it?) I gradually moved over to the Android platform (dirty word around here still?) and to Samsung (Eeeee gads - another dirty word!) 7" tablet devices. The European models have GSM voice calling and connectivity up to HSDPA+ enabled so they are really true "Phablets".

The Galaxy Tab 4 7" LTE (SM-T235) is pretty much the device I was one day hoping the TP GO would eventually become. Problem with these devices is that Samsung tries even harder than HP did to lock things down. Even when the device is rooted they make it difficult if not impossible to make configuration changes from service menus. All I can say is thank goodness for the CWM folks and the ROMS they create. They're what makes living in the Android jungle somewhat bearable.

Besides frustrations with attempting to break through Samsung's Knox security in order to customize my device, the other thing that's driven me to check back in on webOS is the LG Smart watch announcement. Everyone here needs to go out and buy one of these baby's! Decent sales figures, even if they are not through the roof will go a long way towards spurring LG to bring webOS mobile devices back on a grand scale.

Yes, I know, its become way too late for webOS wet dreams, but fact is, they do still remain out there, even if stashed in out of the way archives ..... or maybe close by, on your wrist or TV ......

TTB
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 03/17/2015 at 11:31 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast