Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    OK, I acknowledge being remiss by not subscribing to pivotCE. I'll take care of that, pronto.

I have drifted quite far away from the webos world. The ACL for TP debacle was kind of the last straw for me. I was extremely dissatisfied with the result.

Those of you who know me knew I had quite a fancy for the GO device. I was hoping it would become the first "phablet" device to catch on with the public. SInce ACL crashed and burned (yes I know it's functional, hahahah is that all you expected or wanted out of it?) I gradually moved over to the Android platform (dirty word around here still?) and to Samsung (Eeeee gads - another dirty word!) 7" tablet devices. The European models have GSM voice calling and connectivity up to HSDPA+ enabled so they are really true "Phablets".

The Galaxy Tab 4 7" LTE (SM-T235) is pretty much the device I was one day hoping the TP GO would eventually become. Problem with these devices is that Samsung tries even harder than HP did to lock things down. Even when the device is rooted they make it difficult if not impossible to make configuration changes from service menus. All I can say is thank goodness for the CWM folks and the ROMS they create. They're what makes living in the Android jungle somewhat bearable.

Besides frustrations with attempting to break through Samsung's Knox security in order to customize my device, the other thing that's driven me to check back in on webOS is the LG Smart watch announcement. Everyone here needs to go out and buy one of these baby's! Decent sales figures, even if they are not through the roof will go a long way towards spurring LG to bring webOS mobile devices back on a grand scale.

Yes, I know, its become way too late for webOS wet dreams, but fact is, they do still remain out there, even if stashed in out of the way archives .....

TTB
    Barry, us at WebOS Ports are making leaps of progress as of late with LuneOS (Open webOS based distribution) currently available for TP (4G) (No Go :'() and Nexus 4. You might want to dual boot it on your TP to check it out :-) It's not as functional as 3.0.5 yet but we're getting there with sensors, bluetooth, SMS/IM and phone calls all being worked on currently :-) And boot time is blazing fast on my N4 compared to any legacy device :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Barry, us at WebOS Ports are making leaps of progress as of late with LuneOS (Open webOS based distribution) currently available for TP (4G) (No Go :'() and Nexus 4. You might want to dual boot it on your TP to check it out :-) It's not as functional as 3.0.5 yet but we're getting there with sensors, bluetooth, SMS/IM and phone calls all being worked on currently :-) And boot time is blazing fast on my N4 compared to any legacy device :-)

Silly me, I was almost ready to use tptoolbox to take 3.0.5 off and set up cm 11 / 12 native. Thanks for the tip. I've for sure got a lot of catching up to do. I'll check out LuneOS.- SMS/IM and phone calls, you know I'll be all over that
    Hey, I can still get rid of the dual boot on my TP 4g. ... it'll be a triple boot TouchPad 4g. Or is it called Tri-Boot?
    .way too funny. or no

Seriously, I will check out LuneOS.
    Thx
    Barry

A tri-boot touchpad? hahahahah
    let's see there's also Ubuntu ...... that'd be a quad boot. Heck it doesn't even have quad cores but the TP can boot up 4 different OS's! Nice .....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Hey, I can still get rid of the dual boot on my TP 4g. ... it'll be a triple boot TouchPad 4g. Or is it called Tri-Boot?
    .way too funny. or no

Thx
    Barry

let's see there's also Ubuntu ...... that'd be a quad boot. Heck it doesn't even have quad cores but the TP can boot up 4 different OS's! Nice .....
    Here is your thread:
    Triple boot CM9, webOS/CE & LuneOS?
    Works just fine, Barry! https://twitter.com/alan_morford/sta...87926302408704

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Silly me, I was almost ready to use tptoolbox to take 3.0.5 off and set up cm 11 / 12 native. Thanks for the tip. I've for sure got a lot of catching up to do. I'll check out LuneOS.- SMS/IM and phone calls, you know I'll be all over that
    .way too funny. or no

Thx
    Barry

We're still tweaking the data connecting for the Ericsson (connection bars don't appear, we just need to fine tune some config because I had it working manually before). The Sierra is a bit less picky though it seems config wise, so that one might just work

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $both$ $the$ $Ericsson$ $and$ $the$ $Sierra$ $don$'$t$ $support$ $voice$ $calling$, $however$ $SMS$ $should$ $be$ $a$ $possibility$. $We$ $don$'$t$ $restrict$ $stuff$ $like$ $was$ $done$ $in$ $TIL$ $in$ $legacy$ Just the messaging app still needs some more. You currently cannot start a conversation yet, but you can reply to a SMS for example Lots of work in progress everywhere still
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    We're still tweaking the data connecting for the Ericsson (connection bars don't appear, we just need to fine tune some config because I had it working manually before). The Sierra is a bit less picky though it seems config wise, so that one might just work

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $both$ $the$ $Ericsson$ $and$ $the$ $Sierra$ $don$'$t$ $support$ $voice$ $calling$, $however$ $SMS$ $should$ $be$ $a$ $possibility$. $We$ $don$'$t$ $restrict$ $stuff$ $like$ $was$ $done$ $in$ $TIL$ $in$ $legacy$ Just the messaging app still needs some more. You currently cannot start a conversation yet, but you can reply to a SMS for example Lots of work in progress everywhere still
    I've been able to get the Sierra to make and receive voice calls without any audio. There's no hardware in the TP GO or TP 4G to support this . The problem is Sierra didn't create an interface for the audio, basically leaving that piece up to the manufacturers. What needs to be done is modem audio needs to be routed through USB. Unless that can be done using software (might be possible) then there's no way to hear or speak with the party at the other end of the connection.

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    I've been able to get the Sierra to make and receive voice calls without any audio. There's no hardware in the TP GO or TP 4G to support this . The problem is Sierra didn't create an interface for the audio, basically leaving that piece up to the manufacturers. What needs to be done is modem audio needs to be routed through USB. Unless that can be done using software (might be possible) then there's no way to hear or speak with the party at the other end of the connection.

TTB
    Ah ok, the specs said it couldn't so yes those seem more or less correct. It won't be easy for sure ;-)

Ah ok, the specs said it couldn't so yes those seem more or less correct. It won't be easy for sure ;-)

The documentation that's included with Sierra firmware flashers (for Windows) does contain some references to voice calling, but I don't have the link handy.

Keep in mind without hardware or software present to pass modem audio through USB, turning Sierra voice on in the system properties is pointless, yes, the device rings when a call comes in, and dials out to make calls, but neither you or the party on the other end of the call will hear a thing once the called party answers.

Here's the system properties (defined in /system/build.prop) for use with the sierra MC770 with CM/9/10 on the Touchpad 4G (thanks go to jnewby for this).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 03/18/2015 at 12:22 AM.
  9.    #29  
    Well, I did manage to register my device with HP, but I never did get a backup to download. When I try to select one in Impostah, I get the following error:

ServiceError (restoreBackup):
    Unknown method "startRestore" for category "/"

No date for a backup shows up in the Backup app either. Maybe it's not registered in a way that allows for backups?

I never could get FirstUse to connect, but if anyone knows what the above means, I'd be happy for the information.

Thanks again for everyone's help before. And it's good to see TTB back.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12