Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eblade
  1.    #1  
    I Doctored my Go to the Super Version that fixes the Gyro, and enables TTS, but no matter where I try, it refuses to initiate TTS. Could this be some sort of hardware problem?
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  2. #2  
    Mine is finicky. It works but it's a very precise location from my Pre 3 and the Go. I have a video of it working. I thought mine was broken too.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  3. #3  
    Just out of curiosity, is there any explanation or specification of TTS technology? I assume it is NOT bluetooth based and is a version of NFC, but not that specification. I'm slightly surprised HP didn't go with either of those existing standards.

    I also wonder if there is information about the transmision standard & protocol, it might be possible to make use of it beyond those who just have Tps & Pre3s (+Veers?)

    EDIT: OK, I see the transmission IS bluetooth and TTS is the pairing trigger. So would it be possible to set up a triggering action via bluetooth and with 'any' other BT enabled device? OR is there a way to get some other device to recognize the TTS trigger. I'm assuming now that TTS is actually a relatively simple signal. It says, "TTS here" and the other device checks for a paired device, pairs, then transfers the current URL". In fact, it must be a proximity thing - maybe a low power touchstone arrangement. 2 coils get close enough for a small current to flow...

    Am I on the right track?. Is the Pre3 coil near the charging coil in the back of the Pre3? Is it actually the same thing?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 03/21/2014 at 11:25 AM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is there any explanation or specification of TTS technology? I assume it is NOT bluetooth based and is a version of NFC, but not that specification. I'm slightly surprised HP didn't go with either of those existing standards.

    I also wonder if there is information about the transmision standard & protocol, it might be possible to make use of it beyond those who just have Tps & Pre3s (+Veers?)

    EDIT: OK, I see the transmission IS bluetooth and TTS is the pairing trigger. So would it be possible to set up a triggering action via bluetooth and with 'any' other BT enabled device? OR is there a way to get some other device to recognize the TTS trigger. I'm assuming now that TTS is actually a relatively simple signal. It says, "TTS here" and the other device checks for a paired device, pairs, then transfers the current URL". In fact, it must be a proximity thing - maybe a low power touchstone arrangement. 2 coils get close enough for a small current to flow...

    Am I on the right track?. Is the Pre3 coil near the charging coil in the back of the Pre3? Is it actually the same thing?
    I think that the coil in the Pre3 is right next to the Volume rocker.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    2 coils get close enough for a small current to flow...
    Am I on the right track?. Is the Pre3 coil near the charging coil in the back of the Pre3? Is it actually the same thing?
    I don't know for sure - but I think you are on the right track.
    If you take two Pre3 devices and hold them back to back and slightly move them around a bit (radius <= 1cm) then this will trigger a TTS connection. The Pre3 can connect to eachother via Bluetooth and then exchange URLs.

    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    I think that the coil in the Pre3 is right next to the Volume rocker.
    What makes you believe this?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    I don't know for sure - but I think you are on the right track.
    If you take two Pre3 devices and hold them back to back and slightly move them around a bit (radius <= 1cm) then this will trigger a TTS connection. The Pre3 can connect to eachother via Bluetooth and then exchange URLs.


    What makes you believe this?
    I pressed mine up to my Big TP, and it reacted quickest next to the rocker
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is there any explanation or specification of TTS technology? I assume it is NOT bluetooth based and is a version of NFC, but not that specification. I'm slightly surprised HP didn't go with either of those existing standards.

    I also wonder if there is information about the transmision standard & protocol, it might be possible to make use of it beyond those who just have Tps & Pre3s (+Veers?)

    EDIT: OK, I see the transmission IS bluetooth and TTS is the pairing trigger. So would it be possible to set up a triggering action via bluetooth and with 'any' other BT enabled device? OR is there a way to get some other device to recognize the TTS trigger. I'm assuming now that TTS is actually a relatively simple signal. It says, "TTS here" and the other device checks for a paired device, pairs, then transfers the current URL". In fact, it must be a proximity thing - maybe a low power touchstone arrangement. 2 coils get close enough for a small current to flow...

    Am I on the right track?. Is the Pre3 coil near the charging coil in the back of the Pre3? Is it actually the same thing?
    The TTS coil can transmit data -- remember that the Touchstone 2 and the Touchpad Touchstones are able to transmit their station identifier to the device, which the device (at least the Touchpad, I don't know if it was implemented for Veer/Pre3) uses to relaunch whatever app was running the last time it was on that Touchstone in exhibition mode. It also transmits the bluetooth pairing information, so you don't need to enter anything other than confirming the connection if it's the first time the two have met (at least on the webOS 3 side)

    TTS did have file transfer ability in development, but that may well have been via the bluetooth link, as the TTS link itself is probably extremely short range and extremely slow. I dug around thru the TTS binaries once, and found the service calls for that stuff, but I was never able to figure out if there was enough implemented to get it to do anything.

    The hardware involved is custom hardware, called "A6", I think I read somewhere that it was TI produced under a different name, and possibly had custom changes that HP did.

    It also predated the widespread usage of NFC in cell devices.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Preemptive likes this.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    I pressed mine up to my Big TP, and it reacted quickest next to the rocker
    Hmm, I can not confirm this with my AT&T Pre3s.
    For me the best TTS trigger is when I put/hold my Pre3 just right above the center button of the TouchPad. The two devices might not even touch each other but TTS is trigger even with a distance of almost 1cm apart.
  9.    #9  
    Ohh, I think I may have confused you. I meant the Pre3's Volume rocker. And I think there may be slight difference in placement, as I have a Verizon Pre3.

    @eblade TTS was actually going to get File Transfer soon, as it was shown in a leaked HP document.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  10. #10  
    Thanks for the replies. For what it's worth, I got some info from Derek Kessler's Pre3 Review & he seemed to think the TTS coil is under the HP logo.

    So it looks like it's an obscure, possibly modified part. Therefore unlikely I can plug in a USB version to a laptop and add TTS capability. But as the main transfer conduit is bluetotooth, perhaps it's possible to add a button or item to the share section of the browser menu? This would initiate a url transfer...

    I expect this would also require a small service running on the PC, unless such tools already exist for Linux / windows etc.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    Hmm, I can not confirm this with my AT&T Pre3s.
    For me the best TTS trigger is when I put/hold my Pre3 just right above the center button of the TouchPad. The two devices might not even touch each other but TTS is trigger even with a distance of almost 1cm apart.
    Yes, I have also found that the centre of the Pre3/Veer back cover aligned with the Home Button zone on the 10" TP and with the coils positioned slightly to *either side* of the Home Button on the 'Go', offer fairly reliable TTS action.

    I have also inadvertently stacked a couple of TP's on top of each other on occasion - and found that up 5 minutes later they suddenly decide to ping each other, bleep and beg for a Blutooth connection with each other!
    Hardly a 'snappy' reaction!

    However, Pre3<-->Veer back to back, react immediately!


    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I got some info from Derek Kessler's Pre3 Review & he seemed to think the TTS coil is under the HP logo.
    The TTS coil must be at around that area. (Under the logo or the same as the coil for wireless charging(?))

    I just remove the back cover of my Pre3 and tried TTS with the TP - but that does not work without the back cover and also the back cover itself does not trigger TTS at the TP.
  13. #13  
    I'm certain someone (Rod Whitby?) ripped one apart a long time ago and stated that the one of the coils was smaller and inside the larger one. Sometimes my brain makes up memories so I'd double-check that before I take it as truth.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Ohh, I think I may have confused you. I meant the Pre3's Volume rocker. And I think there may be slight difference in placement, as I have a Verizon Pre3.

    @eblade TTS was actually going to get File Transfer soon, as it was shown in a leaked HP document.
    There is some possibility that there is a functional version of it, the service calls are definitely there, but it's not clear how to make them work, or if they are just stub calls that won't do anything.

    A story that I heard somewhere, was after the first round of layoffs following the Leopocalypse, a lot of work in progress was simply lost, due to all the people leaving, and their hard drives getting erased after they left.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02/16/2010, 03:51 PM
  2. Mod doesn't work?
    By dhMassacre in forum webOS Development
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10/03/2009, 11:41 PM
  3. Why doesn't eas work with 1.1?!?!?!
    By mcampbell in forum webOS Synergy and Synchronization
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07/26/2009, 10:32 PM
  4. 650 IR doesn't work...
    By HenryE in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03/22/2007, 06:36 AM
  5. LED doesn't work
    By FrankMurphy in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08/26/2006, 10:59 PM

Posting Permissions