Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1.    #1  
    Does every TouchPad Go have 3G/4G by default? Or are there wi-fi only versions as well
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    There is 3G/4G and There is Wifi only version, too...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    APOTHEKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/sob
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Mutoidi, Rnp and boovish like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Does every TouchPad Go have 3G/4G by default? Or are there wi-fi only versions as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    There is 3G/4G and There is Wifi only version, too...

Best Regards...
    From my doctor creation there are three main models 3G, LTE, WiFi, all of which could have 16G or 32G, the opal.xml file does specify the NAND could be from 8G up to 64G, but I have never heard of a Go with 64G, so the build does have support for up to 64G of storage, however, there is also a version that has a SD card slot (which was reported to work), so you could add more memory to the Go...

There were two main branches AT&T and ROW/WR (Rest of World/World Ready, looks like it was unlocked).

From what I can tell the AT&T branded came with a few AT&T apps, but also had Amazon MP3 as a built in app (same a touchpad 4G), where the ROW was more like the touchpad WiFi with SIM support.

Funny that even though the builds are different between the Touchpad/Touchpad 4G/Touchpad Go AT&T/Touchpad Go ROW, the webOS build's work on each other (provided one swaps the kernels and their related modules)...

So modem support was built into all of the Touchpad Kernels, it just only used it if it was there...

Sprint Pixi was the same, the moment you add the Verizon WiFi module (swapped a few tokens), then doctor with the Sprint webOS 1.4.5 build, WiFi just worked out of the box...

Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    APOTHEKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click to view quoted image

/sob
    The answer he wanted HP to be IBM, not knowing that boat sunk a long time ago... Mobile is the new PC and if you are not in it, your are not going to be around long... (Servers were to stay just like IBM, but with HP/EDS losses they would be worse off now...)

Here is good new for Leo on why being IBM was dumb:
    http://www.nbcnews.com/business/ibm-...hort-1C9511588

IBM reported quarterly earnings and revenue that came in short of analysts' expectations on Thursday.

After the earnings announcement, the tech company's shares fell more than 3 percent in after-hours trading.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 04/18/2013 at 05:20 PM.
    Mutoidi likes this.
    Is there an LTE version then? I thought all HP webOS devices only had FauxG?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Is there an LTE version then? I thought all HP webOS devices only had FauxG?
    There are three models one for AT&T which uses a ericsson module (3G/FauxG-4G), then two ROW/WR which use a ericsson module (3G), or a sierra module which is LTE (of which there are two forms one for US one for EU markets). The kernel tries to find all three, but as you can only have one in the mini-slot, only one will work at a time, I have heard that one can make the Touchpad 4G do the same, so now there are Touchpad 4G LTE models...

Here is a Quote of a User with a LTE Go...

Windsor Not
    Last edited by John Steffes; 04/18/2013 at 04:37 PM.
    Yes.. it seems the Sierra card will 'LTE' no problem..

Although 'Herrie' here, is still grappling with it in webOS I believe?

Attached Images Attached Images

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Yes.. it seems the Sierra card will 'LTE' no problem..

Although 'Herrie' here, is still grappling with it in webOS I believe?

Yeah he got the EU version (MC7710), which is why I think he is having issues...
    The only thing about LTE is that I don't believe the TIL has code in it to recognize that the device is on LTE and tell LunaSysMgr. So it says "3G", when in fact it is LTE.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    The only thing about LTE is that I don't believe the TIL has code in it to recognize that the device is on LTE and tell LunaSysMgr. So it says "3G", when in fact it is LTE.
    The LTE image (PNG) is not in the build, nor is the code in the notification logic, but one could patch it and create an LTE icon and it will work... just like Veer does with 4G, I have seen it go from 3G to 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Yeah he got the EU version (MC7710), which is why I think he is having issues...

See JPG: MC7700 & MC7710 Specs.
    Also dependent upon which firmware versions/types installed?
    (Prospective LTE is a mess in Aus! Big Telcos squabbling over who gets the
    old Analogue TV bands to play with. Maybe 700 - maybe 2100 - maybe both! Who knows!).

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    The LTE image (PNG) is not in the build, nor is the code in the notification logic, but one could patch it and create an LTE icon and it will work... just like Veer does with 4G, I have seen it go from 3G to 4G.
    Well, yeah... That is done in LSM. Except, the TIL is what reports the technology to LSM. That isn't open source, to my knowledge (it is the com.palm.wan component -- this is where LSM does everything: https://github.com/woce/LunaSysMgr/b...sConnector.cpp). I am not sure if that is something that is easy to modify.
    Did you know:

Well, yeah... That is done in LSM. Except, the TIL is what reports the technology to LSM. That isn't open source, to my knowledge (it is the com.palm.wan component -- this is where LSM does everything: https://github.com/woce/LunaSysMgr/b...sConnector.cpp). I am not sure if that is something that is easy to modify.
    Yep...

Looking at that code...

StatusBar::IndexWAN StatusBarServicesConnector::getWanIndex(bool connected, const char* type)

Depends on what is received as part of const char* type, I guess one can query the com.palm.wan bus to see what response it gets, it might respond with LTE, depends on if it greps the info from the modem firmware, or if it only uses the table in the LibPmWsfWanBlade.so plugin (which LTE is not in there)... One could replace bitwise the value it response with, with the value of LTE, but that is not what we are really looking for...

But with the value it does get, we can then evaluate the speed of the connection, then we could make a if then if, if you get hspa-4g (or whatever value it response with) and speed is > 90 (close to 100 or what ever value is desired, but faster then 4G), we then can display LTE, if not then display the original value.

This really would be easy to code in WOCE, if I had the time to chase down what variable or service bus call to ask the system what is my connection speed...

Having the Source Code for LunaSysMgr, gives one lots of power around things that are closed source...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 04/18/2013 at 09:39 PM.
    Yep...

Looking at that code...

StatusBar::IndexWAN StatusBarServicesConnector::getWanIndex(bool connected, const char* type)

Depends on what is received as part of const char* type, I guess one can query the com.palm.wan bus to see what response it gets, it might respond with LTE, depends on if it greps the info from the modem firmware, or if it only uses the table in the LibPmWsfWanBlade.so plugin (which LTE is not in there)... One could replace bitwise the value it response with, with the value of LTE, but that is not what we are really looking for...

But with the value it does get, we can then evaluate the speed of the connection, then we could make a if then if, if you get hspa-4g (or whatever value it response with) and speed is > 90 (close to 100 or what ever value is desired, but faster then 4G), we then can display LTE, if not then display the original value.

This really would be easy to code in WOCE, if I had the time to chase down what variable or service bus call to ask the system what is my connection speed...

Having the Source Code for LunaSysMgr, gives one lots of power around things that are closed source...
    Except that speed isn't indicative of the technology being used... I've been on LTE and gotten 5Mbps...
    Did you know:

Except that speed isn't indicative of the technology being used... I've been on LTE and gotten 5Mbps...
    If speed does not work, maybe we can talk to the modem firmware and ask (as an AT command)?

I do not know the specs of the LTE modem, but I am sure there is a way to find out (where there is a will there is a way)...

As I do not have a Touchpad 4G, nor a LTE modem, nor a LTE plan, I can not figure this out, but I hope I gave someone else a few ideas?
    If speed does not work, maybe we can talk to the modem firmware and ask (as an AT command)?

I do not know the specs of the LTE modem, but I am sure there is a way to find out (where there is a will there is a way)...

As I do not have a Touchpad 4G, nor a LTE modem, nor a LTE plan, I can not figure this out, but I hope I gave someone else a few ideas?
    That's actually what I was just thinking.

I'm also not sure what plans there are to open source other components. It is possible that com.palm.wan might be open sourced? (If it isn't and I just haven't seen it.)
    Did you know:

I thought ConnMan would be used for all network stuff? Not sure what com.palm.wan did anyway?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I thought ConnMan would be used for all network stuff? Not sure what com.palm.wan did anyway?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    ConMan is responsible for all network connection stuff. I think com.palm.wan is part of the TIL, or the part that interacts with the TIL
    Did you know:

Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Go and Go's mainboards.....Left lower's one Wifi+Gps (No Sim card).The others are 3G version.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lemanho View Post
    Go and Go's mainboards.....Left lower's one Wifi+Gps (No Sim card).The others are 3G version.
    Do still sell one of the Go's?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast