Note: I updated the link Alan Morford provided in the preceeding post, all the correct files are in the link below.
Here are more detailed instructions.
WARNING - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!! No guarantees or warranties are provided or implied.
If you purchase an MC7700 or MC7710 you are likely to recieve a module that is programed to operate in "QMI" mode. Vendors on eBay, etc. rarely make this clear. However, WebOS for the HP TouchPad 4G and TouchPad Go expect the module to be programmed to operate in "Direct IP" mode.
You can use a Windows PC (WinXP or Win7) to re-program the module for Direct IP mode. Options include using a Windows laptop PC that has an internal PCI-e slot or using an external USB to PCI-e adaptor with SIM test slot (available on eBay for less than $10) on any Windows PC.
This takes several steps since Windows uses different device drivers for QMI and DirectIP mode. As an overview, you need to install the Windows QMI device drivers, run a mode switch utility to switch the module to DirectIP mode, remove the Windows QMI drivers, install the Windows DirectIP drivers, and then flash the Direct IP firmware.
All the necessary files are here: http://www.hptouchpad4g.com/sierra.html.
- SWI QMI Windows Drivers: This installs the Windows QMI drivers - install the module, install the drivers, and Windows should recognize the module.
- SWI DIP/QMI Windows Mode Switcher: This is a utility that switches the mode of the module from QMI to DirectIP. Run this and it should recognize the module and change its mode.
- SWI DIP Windows Drivers: This installs the Windows Diredt IP drivers. You may need to remove the QMI drivers first. Once the DIP driver is installed, Windows should again recognize the module.
- SWI DIP Windows Watcher: This utility will let you start, control, and test the module and your SIM card while in the PC to be sure you can get full LTE connectivity.
- SWI MC7700/10 Firmware: This is the Windows installer for the most recent DirectIP firmware for the MC7700 and the MC7710. Run this after you have installed the DirectIP driver and it should recognize the module and update its firmware.