Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By DeltaSPARTAN003
  • 1 Post By geeksquadkid
  • 1 Post By lavo96
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  1.    #1  
    Not quite sure what this would mean, since this is just a preliminary report. Is it wrong of me to hope that this pushes WebOS back to the forefront?

Google Will Abandon Android

I have been interested in Android, but have avoided it thus far because I prefer my Pre (Frankenpre 2 now). This opens up some interesting thoughts -
    The title of the link is misleading.
    Its one author's opinion on WHY google would do such a thing.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Not quite sure what this would mean, since this is just a preliminary report. Is it wrong of me to hope that this pushes WebOS back to the forefront?

I have been interested in Android, but have avoided it thus far because I prefer my Pre (Frankenpre 2 now). This opens up some interesting thoughts -
    The article author means that he thinks Google will abandon the Android branding, pushing the Google Play and Nexus brands instead, not actually abandon the Android operating system. So no, this won't do anything for webOS if it happens.
    I want Android to die.

A horrible death.

WebOS, and Windows 8, may thay live on forever.

OPINION OF GEEKSQUADKID LISTED BELOW:

tl;dr{Android will collapse before iOS, webOS has potential to outlive both}

Personally I believe this this wont happen as the author says however, I do believe that androids fragmentation will EVENTUALLY lead to its collapse. Its fragmentation is going to accelerate regardless of whether Google supports it or not. Its not a matter of if its when (I'm talking YEARS down the road here)

iOS due to its better management (I hate Apple but they obviously know what they are doing) Will outlast android because of this. However because of its closed source (with the direction the internet is going) it will eventually die as well(unless its open sourced... which I don't see happening but it could).

This is where it will get interesting. If HPalm/RW can keep webOS' fragmentation under control it has the potential to grow bigger than iOS. Otherwise it could die a death similar to what I believe will happen to android eventually.

And win8.. Windows stuff will be around forever in some form, but I don't see them being a true competitor any time soon. Everytime they come out with something promising they (enter expletive/ any word you want) it up some how.

^These are not fact but rather opinion^

I repeat these are opinions not fact.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

creepingmee likes this.
  6.    #6  
    I'm trying to decide if this is similar to "branding" of Linux distributions - while open-sourced, there are still derivations that people pay for in order to have a better overall experience. I can see why Google would want to have their own specific Nexus brand, but would that make it incompatible for other Android programs to run on their platform?
    I'm trying to decide if this is similar to "branding" of Linux distributions - while open-sourced, there are still derivations that people pay for in order to have a better overall experience. I can see why Google would want to have their own specific Nexus brand, but would that make it incompatible for other Android programs to run on their platform?
    I agree with the analogy. Personally, I use Linux Mint over other distributions for the "experience"
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    that's like Apple abandoning the iPhone name
    sort of
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldReporter View Post
    I want Android to die.

A horrible death.

No you don't.....because guess where all those drivers Open webOS is going to need have to come from?

ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    , I do believe that androids fragmentation will EVENTUALLY lead to its collapse. Its fragmentation is going to accelerate regardless of whether Google supports it or not. Its not a matter of if its when (I'm talking YEARS down the road here)
    I don't understand how people can say Android will die because of fragmentation. Fragmentation comes from companies using the open source and skinning it to their liking. Not to mention how the carriers have to add their bloatware. How is open source WebOS going to be any different. It's open source, which means that manufacturers can skin it how they like and carriers could add the bloat. It's the double edged sword of open source. People can do with it what they want and it progresses nicely with that but it will cause fragmentation.

If HP does do actual open sourcing then there won't be any requirements made or else that wouldn't be open source.
    Guys... This isn't about opinions whether android will collapse or not (that horse has been beat to death ground up and served to the cats) .. It is simply about Google moving away from the Android branding.

<<thread cleansed>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/04/2012 at 01:52 AM.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Guys... This isn't about opinions whether android will collapse or not (that horse has been beat to death ground up and served to the cats) .. It is simply about Google moving away from the Android branding.

<<thread cleansed>>
    You're Getting It Right From The Horse's Mouth. Sound Clip and Quote

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldReporter View Post
    I want Android to die.

A horrible death.

LOL !!
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad