Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By zukny
  • 2 Post By kataran
  • 1 Post By eblade
  • 1 Post By zukny
  1.    #1  
    So I have been pretty much an apple guy for years. I love their laptops, desktops & well like most people I love Steve Jobs. With that being said, I was a sprint customer on a family plan for many years keeping me from being able to buy the iphone... thus never getting to really use the OS

Anyway, the other day I finally had the luxury of using an Ipad2 for a few hours. A friend of mine bought it and absolutely loves it. So needless to say, I was ready to play! Don't get me wrong, I love my touchpad.. But man, I have been missing applications lately! Plus it was the perfect time to get down and dirty and truly understand why the OS is so amazing!

To start off my learning venture I went to youtube and played the song Gonna Fly Now from Rocky! after watching the first 15 seconds or so, I minimized it so I can discover the Ipad........
    Well..

.. The song stopped playing! It just stopped.. I was confused.

Anyway, back to play w/ no music now.
    Every website I went to seemed to have an application & each website said, hey - your on an Ipad.. U should download our app.. That made me jealous.
    What didn't make me jealous was constantly having to type in DOT COM! Seriously, It's 2012.. where is the DOT COM? I didn't try writing it w/ out DOT COM.. maybe that works now that I think of it.. but clearly my brain doesn't work that way. Also, I don't like how the Search is separate from the url area.. I mean, ugh

of course the numbers weren't there on the top row, but I was ready to deal with that from the beginning. I will say that the Apple keyboard & touchscreen in general seemed to be a bit more Pin Point on then my touchpad. When I Xed out of something, it closed. No having to hit it multiple times!

So, i decided to get out of the internet for a bit and turn on facetime! clearly a great app for IOS! I love the options to see myself in funny forms! THat never does get old, but then I tried to make a phone call.. Can't connect. So, I said oh - well obviously there is no skype hooked up.. Couldn't figure out how to hook up skype.. (later I found that I can download skype online).. Never did though I wasn't about to take over this woman's Ipad.. Anyway, Then I said, well. Let me pair my Fiances (android phone) with it..... Wouldn't connect to the ipad for some reason.. In the end, say about 20 minutes later.. I gave up trying to make a call

Also, random thought.. The person that had this Ipad, had NO contacts! NOT ONE! How is this possible? I thought the Ipad & Android both synced w/ GMail and Facebook Contacts? Does anyone know if this is true for Android and IOS? cause, I found it very weird that it didn't work.

Lastly, the annoyance of having to hit the home button twice every time I wanted to see all the apps I had 'Running' Was more then annoying. I realize part of this gripe is due to me being used to a one single tap in order to switch apps, or a swipe up to stop using one.. but man, two quick taps to see them, then I have to hold down on an app in order to get the (minus) button so I can close the app..

Really.. That many steps...

SO PLUSES:

Photobooth, Touch screen, Apps! Oh, the APPS!

Minuses:
    no Dot Com button?, Way to complicated to close an app, Facetime can't call people, I really wanted to hear Gonna fly now,

In the end.. I guess I just wasn't impressed and am kinda disappointed .. cause WebOS is sorta on life support and I really really need to get over my webOS love in order to love another OS
    About the same lozey experience I got with iOS...when I tried an ipad and a iphone...remember telling the owners they were cool so as not to hurt there feeling

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Vistaus and W00sh like this.
    Actually, if you're running 5.0 or better, there are some pretty fancy multitasking gestures on iPad ..

If you place two fingers on the screen, and push upwards, it will reveal the most-recent apps list (same as you get from double tapping home), if you 4-finger i think slide left-or-right, it will switch apps, and the neatest one, is if you spread your 4 fingers and thumb out and then push them in towards the center, like you're crumpling a piece of paper, it will crumple up the current app and bring up the home screen. Its quite amazing how -smooth- those are compared to any action on a TouchPad or Android tablet.

But, it's a single-tasking system, for the most part. I don't care how smooth and amazing the animations are (another really neat animation, is when you dismiss a list, such as the WiFi list in Settings, they fold in upon themselves!), when it comes to needing to do stuff, I want to do a lot of stuff. So, I invariably use my TouchPad.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Vistaus likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Interesting.. I wonder if the IPAD2 she had automatically had those multitouch features or if it was an update she had to install.. I personally tried a lot of different things and it took me awhile to even learn that the two taps on the home button would pull up the 'running apps' In all honesty, a lot of functions were very hard to figure out on the Ipad. .. but that's why I never wanted to judge it until I had a full opportunity to learn the system pretty well.
    I have the iPad 2. It doesn't sync with facebook. The calender does sync with Google. You can set the options to have it sync with your Outlook mail on your PC (so '90s). I do know that music can play in the background through various music apps, but I've never tried to play a video to have the audio portion continue in the background. I think it's their view that if you move away from a video, it will pause so you can resume from where you left off (because you're viewing it).

Alas, I've not been able to play with a TouchPad to know what it's like. So the iPad is doing the job for me for now.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpmg View Post
    I have the iPad 2. It doesn't sync with facebook. The calender does sync with Google. You can set the options to have it sync with your Outlook mail on your PC (so '90s). I do know that music can play in the background through various music apps, but I've never tried to play a video to have the audio portion continue in the background. I think it's their view that if you move away from a video, it will pause so you can resume from where you left off (because you're viewing it).

Alas, I've not been able to play with a TouchPad to know what it's like. So the iPad is doing the job for me for now.
    So Facebook contacts don't sync w/ the Ipad?? I honestly think that is the strangest thing EVER! I'm so used to never having to memorize phone numbers and add them myself!

I guess your point about the video (pausing when you leave it) makes some sense.. But why can't I pause it then leave it? or play it then leave it.. Why not give me the option?? I mean, I have to think MOST people in the world have stopped downloading music illegally. I would say EVERY DAY I have at least 1 friend sharing a music video through facebook.. Do all of those people actually watch the video? How many of them minimize the video or (move to a different space on their mac laptops) and let it keep playing as they facebook Or play other video games.

Don't get me wrong.. There are multiple music apps.. but none of them are all that great.. Even spotify is kinda crap in my opinion, but I guess it gives you the best alternative to youtube.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Zukny, I totally understand your point of view. There are some things I cannot do on my iPad due to limitations or restrictions. Apple has a major hatred towards Flash, so I can't access web sites that are Flash enabled (or can't use certain features because those features are written in Flash). Apple seems to feel that your entire focus is on what you currently see. Music can continue because you're not "watching" the music (or you would be watching a video/movie).

At least with iOS 5, they adapted a similar notify feature that webOS has had in the beginning. A breif message will come down from the top and not interrupt the app that is currently in use. You can later gesture by a single swipe down from the top of the screen to view and remove all message notifications received, or select a specitic notification to launch (or switch( directly into that app.

I just found out that you can sync your facebook contacts to the contacts list on your iPad. I found the info here: How to Sync Facebook Contacts with iPhone

It's not as direct and intuitive as the synergy exists in webOS. Honestly, I don't see anything coming close to it.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I am fortunate enough to have both a TP and an iPad 2. There are things the TP can do that the iPad cannot but the iPad also has things the TP lacks. I can swipe between open apps and they do not have to be made smaller to like the card view to do it. I cannot just close the app though without hitting the home button twice, pressing on the icon until it wiggles and then press the little x to close each app. There is no "master" button to close all the open apps at once. Very annoying. The thing is, I can hope this will be improved in the future, whereas TP improvements not so hopeful. I still use my TP & am using it right now, but I do like the experience on iPad as well. Actually I like Android too.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtina View Post
    I am fortunate enough to have both a TP and an iPad 2. There are things the TP can do that the iPad cannot but the iPad also has things the TP lacks. I can swipe between open apps and they do not have to be made smaller to like the card view to do it. I cannot just close the app though without hitting the home button twice, pressing on the icon until it wiggles and then press the little x to close each app. There is no "master" button to close all the open apps at once. Very annoying. The thing is, I can hope this will be improved in the future, whereas TP improvements not so hopeful. I still use my TP & am using it right now, but I do like the experience on iPad as well. Actually I like Android too.
    card view better to see both apps like when copying spelling of name from browser intp email and have to keep looking back: also can see all the files in webos and transfer wirelessly to mac. after spending $45 on ios apps found a way to see just one folder and if i moved my doc, i was out of luck.

love retina on ipad but for $600 would like the above functionality as i use it all the time
    Facebook contacts sync, if you use the official app and select that option, when logging in.
    Use a four finger swipe UP to see all open apps, four finger swipe to the LEFT to app-switch.

Press and hold the "." to get .com (or .net, .edu, etc)
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for the Tutor lessons guys.. Next time I get my hands on a Ipad I'll definitely try some of these features out that I couldn't find before.

It's kinda funny though, cause my old roomate said - people didn't like the WebOS phones because gestures were to hard to figure out... Honestly *4* finger swipe lol... That's not hard to figure out lol But, Still interesting none the less.

Maybe these new tricks will make my experience w/ Ipad even better.

Although, Next time I do plan on emailing me while looking at other emails as reference points.. Tried doing that today actually on my crappy blackberry. Made me miss my WebOS phoen soo bad.. Hoping the IPad has figured this out as well.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiper21 View Post
    I don't see how you could use the iPad then return to the touchpad and be impressed. The iPad makes the touchpad seem so unfinished. I wasn't an apple fan but after purchasing the iPad I have to give it to them. The software is polished and nothing like the slow buggy webos. The gestures are awesome and makes using the device so fast. So what if a audio from YouTube stop playing if you switch apps? That's so trivial compared to the little webos has to offer. The problem with palm is that they focused on the wrong things and it so happens that no one cares.
    Ever goto youtube, turn on the superman theme. Turn your screen off and then walk out of the room like your some bad ***** Hero?

Probably not, but i'm pretty dorky, and although I may never download the superman theme or a video game theme song onto my computer I do like to hear them on youtube every now and again.. But why must I be LIMITED in having to watch the video & hear it.. Why can't I plug it in turn off the screen and let it go?

Look, maybe to you the *Gestures* are easy for apple.. and this is speaking from a guy who has only owned mac computers, but the idea of being able to close an application by using Gestures is a lot of freakign work.

I will agree w/ you on 1 thing.. The Ipad doesn't have any bugs and does run smoother then my webOS. But, when it comes down to usability, webOS is miles better.

When I say usability, I mean typing in my password online.. Why does that have to be so hard on a ipad? Why was it such a GENIUS move to put numbers above the letters? ....

Aghh... I'm rambling I realize this, but I can't fathom how any one in the world would be able to use the Ipad after the touchpad and not get extremely annoyed..

yes, the ipad runs smoother, but the guys designing the OS.. well, they haven't done the same quality of work that they have on their macOSX...

I will say, it sucks in many ways that steve jobs has past, but at the same time.. The love for apple is also going to fade fast in this not to distant future.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiper21 View Post
    How is it a lot of work to use a gesture? It is more work to close an app in webos and in ios you don't even have to worry about closing the app. You aren't going to get a too many cards error. I think the iPad makes the touchpad look like crap in every way possible. I can play youtube then use AirPlay to transfer the audio to my stereo or audio and video to my htpc.

You are complaining about numbers on a keyboard? I find it to be pain in the *** to type on the touchpad and pressing a key to get numbers is so trivial.Typing on the iPad is just so smooth and effortless while the tp has some lag. The browser is also so much better and so is YouTube. Also don't talk about the apps, webos apps are just so far behind.

You can continue YouTube play by pulling up the multitask menu and pressing play. You can pause skip to next or back from there so you can control YouTube playback while in any app. You can also turn off screen and playback continues. I just googled and found that solution.

iOS 5 features: New Multi-Touch gestures for iPad 2 | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

your talking about crap that I couldn't find out in 4 hours.. 4 hours is a lot of time to spend with a device. And if you dont' close the apps running on the ipad, u'll end up having 100 apps running at the same time, and then it does slow down & then it's a pain even closing them.. 4 swipes to pull it up, hold down to make em wiggle, then press the little tiny button on the top right of the app to remove it .. COME ON

yeah, the apps on webOS are far behind.. but my argument wasn't about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
    your talking about crap that I couldn't find out in 4 hours.. 4 hours is a lot of time to spend with a device. And if you dont' close the apps running on the ipad, u'll end up having 100 apps running at the same time, and then it does slow down & then it's a pain even closing them.. 4 swipes to pull it up, hold down to make em wiggle, then press the little tiny button on the top right of the app to remove it .. COME ON

yeah, the apps on webOS are far behind.. but my argument wasn't about that.

You don't have to close the apps manually. The OS handles all that in the background. I have an iPad with over 50 apps on it. I just launched them all, one after the other and there was no slowdown. But, read all about it here...

http://www.imore.com/2011/02/18/tipb...itasking-dock/