1.    #1  
    Just the the heck of it I tried Splashtop for the Touchpad on Windows 8 and it worked. There is a little getting used to it but it was very usable and in some ways easier because of the big tiles and buttons in Windows 8. I could do anything that I wanted on Windows.

The hard part is remembering that the Metro interface still thinks you have a mouse and some things that you think should be gestures have to be handled like you would on Windows 7 with a mouse. I did manage to get it to scroll by using a two finger drag. There were a few times I tried to close a window by flicking it up out of habit which Windows 8 doesn't even support.

It took me about 10 minutes to get comfortable with it and a lot of that is because I am still not used to Windows 8.

Anyway, thought it was cool.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I tried it too and gave up on wiwndows 8. I find Windows 7 pretty useful with splashtop when in Android (CM9). The webOS version is not as responsive or clean.

Now thinking about it, I did not use splashtop in CM9 to access windows 8. Off to swap out the laptop hardrive to see if it works.
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imurrx View Post
    I tried it too and gave up on wiwndows 8. I find Windows 7 pretty useful with splashtop when in Android (CM9). The webOS version is not as responsive or clean.

Now thinking about it, I did not use splashtop in CM9 to access windows 8. Off to swap out the laptop hardrive to see if it works.
    I tried it too but the besel gestures did not work nor did the side scrolling. Stupid cursor.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by tboy2000 View Post
    I tried it too but the besel gestures did not work nor did the side scrolling. Stupid cursor.
    The scrolling is tricky but if you click where you want to scroll to, the metro screen will slide over. You have to click under the tiles. It is confusing because you want to use it like a touch interface but have to remember that you really are using the mouse. The one thing that I can't seem to do is close a Metro app. I can only switch away from it which suspends it. It still messes up the icons on the desktop because it changes the resolution but that is a Windows bug that they haven't addressed.

Anyway, I am hoping that Splashtop will work on a version that is smoother with Windows 8 but glad that it is usable.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    When I first saw heading of this thread, I was like "Oh! My God, I can use windows 8 on TP using splashtop(thinking it as a VM app for webos) but after googling it I came to know that this is just a remote login app with which u can connect to a remote system, am i right?
    Correct. Splashtop is a remote access app which allows you to use a home computer remotely from your tablet. So you're not really running Windows 8 on your TP, you're running it on a different computer and viewing the results via your TP.
    How are you guys switching apps? I find myself having to use alt tab.

Sent from my White Touchpad with Communities
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    How are you guys switching apps? I find myself having to use alt tab.

Sent from my White Touchpad with Communities
    On the desktop, it's just like you would in Windows 7. If you want to switch to Metro, tapping in the upper left corner will bring up the charms bar and you can tap the Metro icon to switch back to it and then pick out the app you want. Same thing if you are in a Metro app. Bring out the charms bar and switch back to Metro desktop and click the app you want.

With Splashtop you can't get the cursor far enough off of the screen to activate all of the mouse features such as bringing up the W8 switcher that is on the left side. It isn't perfect by any means, but usable.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I'm currently downloading Win8 now had the same thought too with splashtop.

Maybe if I stopped using ST right now, my connection would pick up lol