Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I noticed that Archos have released a 7" Android ICS tablet for 99 (or similar for USA). Its aimed at kids, so it has a friendly front end. Seems to me that this is the new "touchpoint" for tablets and it won't be long before someone removes the kids front end to release a fully fledged ICS tablet at a decent price.

Any comments?

Alan
    By "touchpoint" do you mean Touchpad?

If it's one of those tablets that are like the recent flood of Aionol tablets, you do have to keep in mind that those tablets do NOT run on ARM architecture. I don't know what they specifically run, but a lot of software from the google Andorid app market will not run on that processor.

I thought about buying one but when I read about the processor they used, I backed out.
    While the Archos is bound to be at least a hair better than this .. keep in mind what you get for $99.

Worst gadget ever? Ars reviews a $99 Android tablet

oh yes, and ..

things you can do with it: https://bbyopen.com/2010/11/maylong-...than-you-think
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    To each his own of course...but I was once an Archos tablet owner (A7), and will NEVER buy another Archos product ever again. The product was extremely inferior with lesser grade "insides" making the experience noticeably sluggish. (It's not just the processing speed but the RAM that is necessary.)

To make matters worse, Archos made announcements of new updates, only to NEVER meet one of their own announced release dates. And that behavior is STILL happening. Look at what is currently happening by reading this short article and some of the user comments:

ARCHOS: Ice Cream Sandwich Updates Rolling Out To G9 Tablets "Within The Next Two Weeks" (For Real This Time)
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    To respond.

I meant touchpoint - a point at which pads in general will be seen to be sold at (as viable).

I have no preconceived ideas on the quality. The fact that it runs ICS must mean something (like it probably has an ARM processor and it is probably rootable).

I have no knowledge on Archos itself. I thought the concept of a 99 pad running ICS was neat.

Alan
    I guess you get what you pay for. I do think that tablets can be a powerful learning tool, and a great device for the disabled.
    <<thread moved>>